Go Back   TheBoards > The Vault > Next Season's Game Plan

Notices

Old 29-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #51
Clips
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattic View Post
Eh? How bloody old do you think I am?!
Haha I was wondering when you'd find that.

In all honesty, I have no idea, I just based it on DDFan calling you a pensioner or whatever he said.
Clips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #52
Keyser Söze

Quote:
Eh? How bloody old do you think I am?!
Based on your sig and the use of the word 'bloody', I would say you are either Sam Harris or Christopher Hitchens.
Keyser Söze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #53
Leftfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
That's been an issue raised a few times. How do you entice new people to join when they just can't see what sections and threads there are? I think it should be opened for a while, let people read and join in, and they can see if they want to pay and stick around. We'd obviously have to delete the "Leftfield rides a girls bike" thread first...

It certainly provides me with $10 worth of fun and I'm happy for as many people to join as possible.

It's not like a super secret mens club either - there are women members too and some of them have boobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clips View Post
Far from a boys club in OT, we have book clubs, recipe threads and threads where we just complain a lot....

But seriously, you've only got to check post counts of some of the off topic users to see it is a decent place to post. There's a few users who post only in the OT section, and you've got a male and female age range of 20 through to Mattic. Heck, OT has even lead to an engagement.

Ask any OT members and the $10 is easily worth the value. If Derek doubled it to $20 per year, I doubt any one of us would bat an eyelid.

Until I can see for myself that it is worth the value, I'm happy to be an irregular poster. You are asking way too much of someone of Scottish heritage to throw money away without seeing the goods.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #54
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

Derek, can we grant Leftfield a weekend pass or something?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #55
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftfield View Post
Until I can see for myself that it is worth the value, I'm happy to be an irregular poster. You are asking way too much of someone of Scottish heritage to throw money away without seeing the goods.
Hey, my blood flows checkered but you have to support yon wee little man who pays for our entertainment us ye ken?

haha
Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #56
mattic
Mr. Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clips View Post
Haha I was wondering when you'd find that.

In all honesty, I have no idea, I just based it on DDFan calling you a pensioner or whatever he said.
Hehe! I didn't see that; and he probably meant "prisoner".
Old 05-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #57
mattic
Mr. Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Söze View Post
Based on your sig and the use of the word 'bloody', I would say you are either Sam Harris or Christopher Hitchens.
Not exactly. Though the comparison is flattering in some respects.

Anyway, I'm 42. I know when I was 20-odd that seemed ancient, but it really isn't! No, it isn't!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:03 AM   #58
mattic
Mr. Pink

Quote:
Ah, but you do see the goods. You get a taste of the posters in the basketball sections, Plus allows you to see and engage their thoughts on other topics.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #59
Leftfield

Quote:
Ah, but you do see the goods. You get a taste of the posters in the basketball sections, Plus allows you to see and engage their thoughts on other topics.
What your asking is akin to buying a car based on a photo in a brochure, without the chance of taking it for a spin. And while it may only be $10 and not $50,000, it's the principle of the thing.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #60
Stumps
Fightin' around the world

The very reason you get to take a car for a spin is the fact that it costs $50k. They don't let you sample a Big Mac before committing to buying a McValue Meal.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #61
Leftfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumps View Post
The very reason you get to take a car for a spin is the fact that it costs $50k. They don't let you sample a Big Mac before committing to buying a McValue Meal.
But there are photos of what goes into a McValue Meal on the wall of each McDonalds store, so you know what your getting. Here, I'm seeing the chips but I have no idea what else comes with them.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #62
Clips
Never Forget

I can't be bothered, but someone else should post a screenshot of off-topic threads.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #63
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

Quote:
But there are photos of what goes into a McValue Meal on the wall of each McDonalds store, so you know what your getting. Here, I'm seeing the chips but I have no idea what else comes with them.
Dude, it's ten bucks. There is no principles involved, its matters little if you do or dont join. We're just saying that if you are considering it, then take the plunge and have some fun, especially if you enjoy the banter and discussions with your current Ozhoops access.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #64
Leftfield

So what!!! This isn't only about me, but anyone who wants to become a member of this forum. Hiding these extra pages maybe stopping other people from joining up.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #65
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

I know that, and thats what I have been saying all along. It just seems that you are keen to join in some ways, because you are asking a few questions, but then you let a "principle" stop you.

All I'm saying is if you enjoy the current situation, give it a shot. The same people that you may (or may not) enjoy talking basketball with are in there talking about other things.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #66
Jojo

I signed up to Off Topic a few years ago after having fun playing in the Battlegrounds sections . As I was having fun in Battlegrounds & enjoyed reading the NBL threads ( but rarely posting as I was just a fan without a lot of basketball knowledge), I thought that these alone were worth $10 and happily paid my $10 while having no idea what was in Off Topic. Derek does a fantastic job in providing such a great forum.

Off topic is worth every cent. I have met some lovely people through posting in off topic & have found people to be really helpful. Cough up the $10. If, for some strange reason, you decide it's not worth it just don't renew the following year. $10 is not much to contribute, given the work Derek does keeping Ozhoops up & running.
Jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #67
Daevo
Extraordinary Member

Send a message via MSN to Daevo

Quote:
I'm 42. I know when I was 20-odd that seemed ancient, but it really isn't! No, it isn't!
Well said young whippersnapper.

My 2 cents, or rather $10 is that you get the ability to talk to the people you normally argue with in the basketball forums without the tribalism of what team they support interfering. If you choose to however, you can argue about politics, sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll, body art & even boobies. As you can imagine, sometimes the arguments there are even longer & more heated than in the NBL forum.

It's also a great place to find suckers to buy $2 neck ties with random letters on them at grossly inflated prices.

Last edited by Daevo; 08-02-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Daevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #68
Jojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevo View Post
It's also a great place to find suckers to buy $2 neck ties with random letters on them at grossly inflated prices.
I guess there's one born every minute
Jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #69
angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevo View Post
As you can imagine, sometimes the arguments there are even longer & more heated than in the NBL forum.
Don't say that, you don't want to turn people off paying the $10.

But there may be a picture of boobs.
angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #70
Clips
Never Forget

Great time to join OT right now.

Give your Ozhoops experience a real power boost and enjoy customs titles and mad pics. rraaaaaaaagggeeeeee
Old 17-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #71
Stumps
Fightin' around the world

With Ozhoops March Madness kicking off, let's re-open the Battlegrounds to the masses! Derek? hellcat?
Old 17-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #72
Silencer83
Just call me Trigger ;)

Do you know what you are missing?

Silencer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #73
SB.1

awesome! I can get into the bottom bit though.
SB.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #74
Silencer83
Just call me Trigger ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB.1 View Post
awesome! I can get into the bottom bit though.
Yep that is because Derek responded to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumps View Post
With Ozhoops March Madness kicking off, let's re-open the Battlegrounds to the masses! Derek? hellcat?
Think of it like a preview screening.
Silencer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 02:01 AM   #75
Da Houndawg #55
Now with 40% more vitriol

Send a message via AIM to Da Houndawg #55 Send a message via MSN to Da Houndawg #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer83 View Post
Do you know what you are missing?

Silencer is propogating the masses! Silencer is propogating the masses!

Pretty soon the Have-nots will all see what the Haves get and will line us all up next to ol' Madame Guillotine...
Da Houndawg #55 is offline   Reply With Quote