TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > Otherhoops

Notices

Old 26-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #26
Durbansandshark

As it stands right now, the Suns are fifth in the Western Conference seedings--they really should be atop the West right now instead of that Evil Laker Empire (or at least one of the top three seeds), who should be exactly where the Nets are right now! Three weeks to go into the regular season, and with Phoenix playing great lately, they can move up and get the all-important home court advantage away from the Jazz, currently at 4th and the holders of the last home court advantange spot. The schedule is favorable with at home SA, Denver, and Houston. with only two spots to visit in Salt Lake City and Oklahoma City. So, like Dallas, they can move up. Things can surely change a lot at the last day. And they can surprise!

Had a great game last week at the US Airways Arena over Minnesota 152-114. The kind of Phoenix Suns basketball we all know and love. Oh, and that road game thriller versus the Golden St. Warriors, undergoing another lost season 133-131.

This season's campaign is "R U Orang?", a play on the text messaging/Internet language commonplace these days and of the Planet Orange. The player intro is not quite what I liked from recent years, even with Rihanna on the soundtrack. But here it is:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJa0SJlEZRk

Last edited by Durbansandshark; 27-05-2010 at 03:58 AM.
Durbansandshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #27
DoubleA

Wow, add me to the list of Phoenix Suns fans!

I recently met with their Vp of Digital and he gave me complete access, courtside seat, merchandise and basically a memory I will never forget.

I write a blog www.sportspiel.com.au that focuses on sport and social media, and I was in te States for a fantasy sports conference so a week ago I wrote to him, and said I'm Australian heres what I do, I love your work, can I meet with you?

He was able to squeeze me into a very busy schedule, so I went to Phoenix on Friday and my god it was one of the best experiences of my life

I tweeted a whole lot about it at twitter.com/anthonyalsop

Behind the scenes photos and videos are on there, you'll just have to click 'More' a few times at the bottom of my page coz as you can see, I tweet a lot.

I'm a Hornets fan at heart, but I now bleed blue AND ORNG.

Im going to write a full blog about it in a few weeks and Ill post it here. If you've heard of Peter Robert Casey, a basketball blogger, I'm also meeting him tomorrow here in NYC.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #28
Durbansandshark

Suns clinch a playoff berth last night with a win over Chicago on the road. Currently 4th in the Western Conference with the all-important home court advantage in front of a slumping Denver.
Old 15-04-2010, 05:03 AM   #29
Durbansandshark

Wow! That was a nice for Phoenix in their last home game for the regular season against the slumping Denver Nuggets! Again playing Phoenix Suns basketball at its finest. What makes it even better is clinching home court advantage in the playoffs. Should they beat the Utah Jazz in Salt Lake City, they can get the third seed in the crazy, wild, wild Western Conference. Now go work on that title!

The best and coolest team in the NBA since the All Star break recently had their first-ever Facebook Night last month, presented by Showcase Honda, to continue a theme that DoubleA observed here in terms of social media. 300 fans purchased tickets to the Suns' home game against the aforementioned Jazz. Clearly, this is a team that knows how to embrace and utilize social networking--remember those Antipodean fans who all met on Planet Orange and did Phoenix Suns road trip last season! In that Facebook Night, Suns assistant Dan Majerle conducted a postgame Q&A for the Facebookies also including an exclusive Suns/Facebook T-shirt at their adjacent practice court. (in case you're wondering, no, I'm not on Facebook or MySpace yet. Hope to soon. I'll announce that when it happens.)
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...id=45898408995

Speaking of Thunder Dan, he plans to open another of the popular Majerle's sports bar and grill in Scottsdale. When I ever go to the Valley of the Sun in Phoenix, I want to stop at Majerle's.

GO Suns!
Old 19-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #30
DoubleA

I just wrote a review on all the Suns web/digital history, from an interview I did with their VP of Digital last month when I was there. Talks about their players on twitter, old website, tweetups, etc

http://su.pr/20vuh5
Old 21-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #31
Durbansandshark

Thanks for that DoubleA. I want to read that over and over!

Tough loss Sunday night at home against Portland 105-100. Still, there's no time to hit the panic button. Phoenix will come back and even the series tonight, especially since BROY is not with the Trail Blazers right now. I guess it's because Portland has been in the playoffs last year and the Suns were unfortunately absent and thus rusty. Partly because of that, they were admittedly a little stagnant on offense and couldn't force a fast movement. Phoenix must find a way to contain Andre Miller (He had 31 points and they must do likewise to the support staff and stop them from crashing the boards) and support STAT, particularly in the paint, where he needs the ball. Hitting the open looks would be nice too. Understandable for the first loss, since Portland is NOT the Evil Laker Empire!

Jared Dudley wins the Majerle Hustle Award this season, succeeding Lou Admunson from last season.
http://www.nba.com/suns/playoffs/dud...m1_100418.html
Old 22-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #32
Durbansandshark

Now that was a good win to even the series with Portland before heading up there!

Kudos to Grant Hill for covering Andre Miller. J-Rich stepped up with his 20 points.

LA the Rugged Man and Nicholas Batum became ineffective thanks to the Suns. Batum strained his shoulder. Now the Suns must keep that defensive intensity when they're in Rip City and steal a game. Not going to be easy there, even without BROY.

Last edited by Durbansandshark; 24-04-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 24-04-2010, 06:11 AM   #33
Durbansandshark

Another great win from Phoenix! Suns are that much deeper than Portland. J-Rich, 42 points?
Alright!! Just dominant Suns basketball!
www.nba.com/suns/playoffs/playoffs2010_r1g3.htm
Old 06-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #34
Durbansandshark

Portland's "gone finishing" thanks to Phoenix. Old news, yes, that will be recapped. Anyway, the focus is on those Rotten Ass Cheaters. More tomorrow.

Yes, I'm still very bitter over that!

Last edited by Durbansandshark; 06-05-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 18-05-2010, 05:27 AM   #35
Durbansandshark

Tonight in a matter of hours, we would have the Western Conference Finals featuring the best team in the West and a corrupt, rotten, evil franchise that has really no damn business being there, let along calling itself the best and all those titles it amassed or flat out respect. Oklahoma City should've stopped them. And it all starts at the Evil Laker Empire's domain. You know, looking at what just happened to Cleveland, I don't think they would even beat the Suns with their matchup in the NBA Finals. I think the frontcourt Phoenix would surprise the Cavs' counterpart. Would the Phoenix froncourt matchup well with the Evil Laker Empire, despite the supposed size descripancy? I'd say yes. Matter of fact, they're athletic and can shoot from the outside when needed. What you're witnessing is the Suns playing some defense in the playoffs to tag along with their high octane offense. they're justly famous for under Alvin Gentry.

Steve Nash will run circles on Derek Fisher just like Russell Westbrook did. And Nashie's in his mid-30s! You think a young player would be gassed after that? The Evil Laker Empire had their luck card expired after a few games so it's going to run out in this series. A Phoenix Suns sweep over the Evil Laker Empire would be much deserved and greatly appreciated by everyone who detests that corruption. But realistically, it won't happen that way. Few people actually pick Phoenix to do some damage. But they will.

Phoenix in 6!

Last edited by Durbansandshark; 20-05-2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old 18-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #36
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

Or not...
Old 20-05-2010, 05:07 AM   #37
Durbansandshark

Phoenix was not gonna sweep that morally corrupt, wicked, oppressive, tyrannical arrogant Evil Laker Empire ( ), we all know that. But at least they could've made more of a game out of Monday night than the end result suggests.

Two players really need to step up tonight. Amar'e Stoudemire must make his presence known in the paint and block the Evil Laker Empire shot attempts; when they shoot, Stoudemire steps aside to allow them. We understand he wants to stay out of foul trouble and be in the game as long as possible for the Suns to succeed for Alvin Gentry and his coaching staff. But he's got to take charge. Jason Richardson started hot in the early going, scoring 6 points, but then he disappeared. When Jason Ricardson scores at least 20 points in a game this season, Phoenix are 30-4 and 5-0 in the playoffs. Monday night he produced less than 20 points. Furthermore, the Suns must grab more rebounds and those second-chance shots.

Why is Grant Hill defending the Head Emissary of Evil? We all commend him for his perservence through all the injuries. But he got embarassed by that ankle breaker move.

Phil Jax says the amount of points of the Evil Laker Empire won with was "uncharacteristic" for them in the post-game press conference. You know what this means: he's working on ways to clamp down on the best team in the West even more so to not get them going even further tonight.

Have faith Suns fans and haters of that wretched evil worldwide, Phoenix still has a shot at taking home court advantage away from them and winning the West in the process. Don't forget that back in 1986, the Houston Rockets lost the first game in the Western Conference Finals and then roared back for the last four, culminating with that Ralph Sampson shot in the end of the series. And the Chicago Bulls lost Game 1 to them in the 1991 NBA Finals, and they ended up winning the title with the next four. Clearly Phoenix must win a game in the House of Evil.
Old 20-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #38
Dunkin' Dan
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbansandshark View Post
Have faith Suns fans and haters of that wretched evil worldwide ...
As a Suns fan, about the only thing I have faith in is that the hoop gods are so amused by your relentless evil empire rants that we are destined never to actually defeat them in a playoff series for as long as you have access to an internet connection
Dunkin' Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #39
Prodigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkin' Dan View Post
the hoop gods are so amused by your relentless evil empire rants

Or maybe they're like me and just got so bored by the wanker's monotony they tuned out months ago
Prodigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #40
bucky

I'm a Phoenix Suns fan and I have tickets to games 3 and 4 of the WCF.

Just thought i would share that.
bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #41
Clips
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I'm a Phoenix Suns fan and I have tickets to games 3 and 4 of the WCF.

Just thought i would share that.
A mate of mine who is a big suns fan caught the first 2 games v lakers and most of the suns home playoffs. His next game is game 6... Poor guy.
Clips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 04:52 AM   #42
Durbansandshark

Good news is Phoenix scored more points than in Game 1; Jason Richardson netted 27 points; the Suns tied the Evil Laker Empire at the end of the third period; Amar'e Stoudemire played better; the bench stepped up; Grant Hill produced 21 points; and the Suns held Kobe to 21 points. Bad news is they let Kobe dish out 13 assists and that evil empire still won with a 2-0 series lead! (all of you know I hate them)

But they're back home now in Phoenix with hope of some home cooking starting Sunday. Now the Suns are back home, how can Alvin Gentry, his coaching staff, and his players try to wrap their heads on how to stop them. Gentry says they may have to let Kobe score 80 and then contain the rest. They try and keep plugging away but they still fell short. They won't give up. Right now, let's focus on evening things up before they get into an even bigger hole or try to win the series as they try to shoot the lights out.
Old 26-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #43
Durbansandshark

Nice home cooking was the order of the day when they played back home at the US Airways Center. It was a game that went up and down with Phoenix ultimately winning with no small contributions from Amar'e and Robin Lopez. They even played zone that threw the Evil Laker Empire off.

Tonight we need more of the same from Amar'e and Robin as well as hopefully getting Channing Frye and Jared Dudley making 3's to even the series. More later.
Old 27-05-2010, 03:57 AM   #44
Durbansandshark

Phoenix, the best team in the West, kicked major ass last night with the bench performance in front of that lovely sea of orange! That Goran Dragic had an out of body experience with is performance at home. It wasn't double figures (8 points, 8 assists, 4 rebounds, and no turnovers), but he was his usual ferocious self when attacking the basket, especially with that circus shot in the fourth quarter (what Hubie Brown declared on ESPN Radio's NBA coverage as the Play of the Game)! I think Nash has a worthy successor for him when he hangs his sneakers. And finally, that bench, one of the league's deepest when it's on, really came on. Channing Frye, Jared Dudley, and Leandro Barbosa were all raining threes at last for the first time this series! Louis Admundson also contributed well. When it's in the second half, normally the starters set the tone for success, but Alvin Gentry made a gutsy move when he decided to go with his bench for an extended period. Something like that would blow up in front of a coach's face, but it worked out so well that the starters, being the good teammates that they are, cheered and saluted them for their performances on the sidelines before going back.

Had it been shooting a bit better in the first quarter and shooting their free throws more, last night should have been a bigger (and more deserved) rout that it was over the Evil Laker Empire. Amar'e still went to the charity stripe as a reward for his rekindled aggressiveness in the low post.

The Evil Laker Empire, outside of Kobe ( ), were just still clueless over how to cope with Phoenix's zone they employed. Let's hope it continues in LA. Gentry said to his teammates it's OK to let the Head Emissary of Evil get his. He tried to pass and it worked and made a game of it for the most part. But the frontcourt was simply and thankfully troubled; the Phoenix bench outscored the Evil Laker Empire's, which is nothing, by 24. We need that from them again come Game 5 in the House of Evil. Because of how home court advantage was set up, Phoenix must steal a game, preferably Game 5, in Los Angeles and then win it all back home. Zone play must continue for Phoenix and tighten up the defense, because I'm worried over how the refs might call the game tomorrow in the Evil Laker Empire's (dis)favo(u)r. Phoenix have to score at least 100 points to assure themselves of winning.

They can certain win the next two despite what lots of people think. Clip's friend won't have to worry about Game 6....
Old 30-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #45
Durbansandshark

All I gotta say about Game 5 on Thursday is...

DAMN YOU, ARTEST!!!!

You better win tonight and the next one, Phoenix!
Old 30-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #46
Dunkin' Dan
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbansandshark View Post
All I gotta say about Game 5 on Thursday is...

DAMN YOU, ARTEST!!!!
Well, for the first 3 quarters of game 6 you could have said exactly the same thing.
In the 4th, it'd be Kobe - just too damn good.
Dunkin' Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #47
Wallitron

Send a message via AIM to Wallitron Send a message via MSN to Wallitron Send a message via Yahoo to Wallitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkin' Dan View Post
In the 4th, it'd be Kobe - just too damn good.
In D&D terms, he rolled a 20 for Dexterity, and a 1 for Charisma.
Wallitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #48
Cram
Nomadic Bum

That really was an amazing display by Kobe there. Amazing.

I really wanted to see the Suns make it. Go Celtics? Ugh.
Cram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #49
Durbansandshark

When we last them, our heroes, the best in the West if all of the NBA, got criminally eliminated by that morally corrupt, arrogant, wicked, oppressive, wretched, and tyrannical Evil Laker Empire on their own home floor en route to another oppressive and obscene NBA title that is always richly undeserved. Everytime this happens to Phoenix by them it's criminal. Matter of fact, because of what subsequently happened, Phoenix IS the best in the NBA (don't ever let any misguided worshipper of that wretched evil empire tell you otherwise! ). Phoenix deserved to win that series! If it weren't for what Ron Artest did, Phoenix would have done it. Clips, I feel terrible for your friend who had to witness that Game 6. Steve Nash, Amar'e Stoudemire, Grant Hill, Goran Dragic, Leandro Barbosa, Robin Lopez, Jason Richardson, Channing Frye, Louis Admunson, Jaron Collins, Earl Clark, and Jared Dudley are all far more deserving to be at the NBA Finals and win titles in their lifetimes than Kobe Bryant, Ron Artest, Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, Derek Fisher, Shannon Brown, Jordan Farmar, Alexandar Vujacic, Andrew Bynum, Adam Morission, Luke Walton, and D.J. Mbenga! Steve still has the only NBA player with the dubious distinction of being the NBA MVP and not make a trip to the NBA Finals. This is very, very wrong. A 1976 NBA Finals rematch with Boston and Phoenix this summer would have been much more satisfactory and more enjoyable for everyone who love the NBA. Would Phoenix win it all if that were the case? Probrably not, but at least the Evil Laker Empire, who Oklahoma City should've stopped, would be constrained.

(You! Must! NEVER! Lose! To! The! Evil! Laker! Empire! )

Now significant changes are afoot with Phoenix. Steve Kerr just resigned last month, so the team was working with a leadership vacuum fro a brief period. Lawyer and ex-agent Lon Babby is now Phoenix's VP of Basketball Operations. I, like a lot of people, don't really know much about him. So what's his basketball team philosophy?

Phoenix needs size and athleticism to rival that of the Evil Laker Empire. We all know that STAT has rejected Phoenix's offer, as was expected by many, and went to New York for $100 million for 5 years. However, Amar'e needs a PG like Nash or a power position for him to be effective wherever he goes since, though he did get better defensively and was productive in the playoffs, his defense is still suspect. The Suns did resign Channing Frye on a 5-year $30 million contract and bring aboard Hakim Warwick for $18 million on 4 years. This could be the end of the run and gun style Phoenix is justly famous. Then they go out and acquire in a trade Hidayet (am I the only one who can say his full name rather than Hedo?) Turkoglu and his big contract following an unhappy and disappointing season in Toronto (in exchange for Leandro Barbosa and Dwayne Jones) and Josh Childress, whom the Hawks held the NBA rights to, fresh from Greek EuroLeague finalist Olympiakos Pireas. Hopefully both can use a change of scenery; their respective sizes up front can help Phoenix. Still for us, we need to see how this team is shaping up come tip-off on October 26.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #50
Durbansandshark

Phoenix's 2010-11 NBA schedule is now up and downloadable. The best team in the all of the NBA start their 2010-11 season on the road with two games involving the Northwest Division. They start the season in Portland against the Trail Blazers on October 26 and then head to Salt Lake City to face the Utah Jazz on the 28, their US national TV season debut on ESPN. Their home opener at the US Airways Arena is on the following Friday and the Suns will face...wait for it...that morally corrupt, arrogant, and utterly disgraceful Evil Laker Empire who flat out never deserve those titles! Ideally, that night or earlier in the upcoming season, it should be really be that long-anticipated one where the Suns would celebrate their title with the Larry O'Brien Trophy there, and David Stern would very happily hand over the rings at center court to Steve Nash and his teammates and coaching staff with then the Suns would raise their first-ever championship banner to the rafters to rub it in in front of those rotten and evil emissaries for all the years they were an shameful obstruction to glory. That game will be shown on ESPN. Other games between the Suns and the Evil Laker Empire are November 14 and March 22 (on TNT) at that House of Evil. The other home game against them is January 5, also on ESPN. A season sweep on them would be very, very nice. Playoffs would be even better should they face other. Phoenix ends the season at home on April 13 against San Antonio.

Because Steve Kerr couldn't come to agreement with Robert Sarver on the terms to a new extension on his GM deal, he decided to return to TNT as analyst, a spot numerically left vacant by Doug Collins returning to coaching. So the Suns got a new guy to succeed him in Lance Blanks. I don't know much about him, but if he can get some size and strong defensive presence for Phoenix that won't interfere with the running offensive style, it'll be great. Kerr, to me, is a mixed bag in his time with Phoenix. His blunders was actually getting Shaq that clogged the "seven seconds or less" style that was so entertaining to watch, despite finding the fountain of youth in the 2008-09 season, which they should've made the playoffs, and his hiring of Terry Porter as coach. The latter of which he admitted as such. Don't get me wrong. Porter is a solid coach; he was just a bad fit for Phoenix. I'll deal with those issues and the season outlook with the new guys like Turkoglu and Childress next time.