TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > Otherhoops

Notices

Old 04-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #26
Durbansandshark
Default Re: NBA On YouTube

The intro to the pivotal Game 4 of the 1984 NBA Finals. I'll get and discuss more of the game later.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGGkNRax9i4
Old 06-09-2008, 05:53 AM   #27
Durbansandshark

More on the pivotal Game 4 1984 NBA Finals, the most intense of all of the seven games. Not the complete game but it does contain the most significant moments: Magic momentarily losing his cool after a Maxwell hand hook; the famous McHale clothesline on Kurt Rambis to prevent a breakaway; McHale failing to make an easy putback at the end of regulation to win it; Bird and Kareem jawing at each other thanks to a Kareem elbow; and ML Carr's underrated steal (forget John Havlichek's and Gerald Henderson's)to clinch it and his reactions. My thoughts on that next week.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxnexd6FpJ4
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmsXI-ScHC8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=89f1uxSE8Nc
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkOeneSF2go
www.youtube.com/watch?v=djjSjLMXwLU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRcKmYj2DKg

And, as an added bonus, the missing 7'4" Ralph Sampson-6'1" Jerry Sichting fight from the 1986 NBA Finals that is omitted from the 1986 NBA Final DVD.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmMnKm0fCls
Old 18-09-2008, 05:26 AM   #28
Durbansandshark

A very rare find indeed: footage of a Christmas Day 1977 NBA game between the Buffalo Braves (now Los Angleles Clippers via San Diego) and the Cleveland Cavaliers, that Walt Frazier at the time, at the old Richfield Coliseum. Please ignore the Canal + Deportes Spanish commentary obscuring the English CBS announcers that was replyed on NBATV; imagine it like it was audio commentary.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcXMsGGMSwE
Old 24-09-2008, 05:25 AM   #29
Durbansandshark

Game 1 of the 1984 NBA Finals is coming soon!
Old 16-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #30
Durbansandshark

I promised you Game 1 in the excellent classic 1984 NBA Finals (officially the NBA World Championship Series, didn't become the NBA Finals until two years later) between the eventual champs Boston Celtics and the Now Deservedly Crumbling Evil Laker Empire, the latter being at the worst of its oppressive and arrogant powers, coming soon. They claimed they were the most talented, but if they truly were, why in the hell they thankfully didn't win it all (but sadly they did the next year when they really shouldn't have ) Hey, here it is! Even better I'm glad the intro the series is there too, with Brent Musberger narrating the last time in 1969 both teams faced off in the NBA Finals and transitioning into the then-present day. Never mind it's incomplete in some spots, but I do remember watching it as the first NBA Finals I watched all throughout, eagerly anticipating it, in part because of the storied rivalry between those two in the dream matchup between Bird and Magic, rooting against that wicked and wretched evil! Their fast breaks were really good back then. I again ask Warner Home Video to put out this classic series on DVD, preferably on Blu-Ray. Game 1 was videotaped by someone watching it from Cleveland's CBS affiliate, WJKW TV-8. By the way, this will act as one of the few times, if not the only time, I'll post any YouTube links resulting in NDCELE victory! Even then I wished Phoenix made it out in the West to face Boston.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BexhikkhYi4
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGZIxMoQnPE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiy9KylcCt4
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nk558ZALpQ
www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Mc37dRN2M
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o9ARcowZFk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_4iIxEMjoY
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gekVgqYsJxU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vxtWkvx2Wg

Back to Game 4, if the Celtics and the NDCELE played under current NBA rules, can you imagine how many players on both teams would get fined, ejected, and suspended, including those who came off the bench? Kareem was primarily a finesse player but he powered especially in that game...and got caught up with Bird and showed he was tough. Magic made some bad mistakes like in this game that somehow turned to his team's disfavor in the end, for which he was blamed for. Worthy wasn't a good free throw shooter back then--he was in his second of NBA play from North Carolina--but he did get much better in that further along in his career.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:12 AM   #31
Durbansandshark

The much beloved and very eagerly anticipated Memorial Day Massacre (aka Game 1 of the 1985 NBA Finals or World Championship Series), one of the best moments in the NBA's history, arrives here next week.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #32
Durbansandshark

It's finally here after much discussion and hyping by me on these boards! Yes mates, it's the Memorial Day Massacre, one of the best NBA games ever and definitely one of the best I ever saw in my life! Until this past season, it was the worst pounding the Now Deservedly Crumbling Evil Laker Empire ever had in the NBA Finals. Sadly, it was the only damn good thing to come out of that Finals. Sure they were humiliated by it, and it should've continued all through the series with a sweep! Kareem should never had apologized for his Game 1 performance afterward and stayed dismal instead of getting the MVP award. All of them needed to be even more despondent after this series.

On the other end, this was Scott Wedman's finest hour. Never missing a shot attempt going 11 for 11 in the entire game. First year of the current 2-3-2 format in the NBA Finals. Very little Showtime (or Oppression as it should be called) here.

But the bad news is much of the first half is missing in these videos. When there's more first half video of Game 1, I'll link it for you. Nonetheless, enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qekn9dEv884
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDHfXN_wE9U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl4HCatc6oU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CHQVER1XQk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crhbZT5aejk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h57tng8jeDg

Last edited by Durbansandshark; 05-09-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Durbansandshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #33
Durbansandshark

An old intro from WTBS' NBA coverage for the Celtics and NDCELE. If I had cable TV back in the day in the 80s, I'd definitely watch the NBA on Superstation WTBS on Friday nights getting me pumped for the weekend. Man, I missed seeing the intro, which holds up to this day; I actually like the TBS Sports presentation that begins this. Still cool after all these years!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=v21uN7q3llM
Old 05-12-2008, 07:19 AM   #34
Durbansandshark

Julius Erving is the star of this installment

Julius Erving pitches for Dr. Pepper in a new commercial utilizing the Alan Parsons Project's instrumental "Sirius" (the intro music for the Bulls in their heyday) shooting an ice cube in slo-mo from downtown to a glass. Try as I can, I will NEVER do it like that!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=45CtQxlvnhM

Dr. J's Top 10 Dunks. Amazing dunks he made in a few of the Top 10 dunks were against the top centers at the time like Kareem, James "Buddha" Edwards, and Bill Walton in his prime and healthy. No slouches as defenders there. And this was when, unlike in his ABA days with the Virginia Squires and later with the New York Nets, he REALLY wasn't as high-flying. There is one ABA dunk as a Squire ironically against the New York Nets that made it on the list.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpTfb95kKaQ&NR

On Sesame Street. Very cute.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7m9C4CrCgA
Old 16-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #35
Durbansandshark

This is for all of you Seattle Supersonics fans out there on these boards who have no team to support now. The following are reminders what you had stolen from you by those snake oil salesmen from Oklahoma City who took your team way from. You have my eternal sympathies over what happened. That was very,very wrong. With all due respect to Kevin Durant, Scott Brooks, Nick Collison, and Jeff Green, those owners are currently getting what they deserve; OKC Thunder flat out sucks--bad name, bad home court, bad team (mostly consistent of NBDL players), bad logo, and bad uniforms. The Thunder is dead to me and to all Supersonics fans until Seattle comes back into the NBA (and hopefully Vancouver). This is not to say OKC doesn't deserve a team ; an NBA team is good (but now the Supersonics, preferably an expansion) and a NFL team one because they're already football-mad in Oklahoma. Prepare to be sad again...

One of the best pregame intros in the NBA of all time from 1996 Cracking up the THX theme, Deep Purple's "Knocking At Your Back Door", and Pink Floyd's Run Like Hell. How cool is that to have Kevin Buffet there at the Key Arena? First one you'll have some French in a replay of Game 7 of the 1996 NBA Western Conference Finals against the Utah Jazz when aired on NBATV France. The other is either from Game 3 or Game 5 of the 1996 NBA Finals because NBC only broadcasted the pregame intros from both games when it was in Seattle. If you look closely, you can see George Karl's son Coby behind the bench sporting his Sonics player warmup shirt.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXf3lASwjI0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW19D4qXStI

Accurately scores the frustrations and taking away the traditions of the Supersonics. But I take issue with a couple of points here. Seattle had the Storm win a WNBA title in 2004, and the Seattle Sounders in the USL Division I won last year. So that's a couple of other titles Seattle won. Unless the creator was actually referring the only major pro title, it's inaccurate. And c'mon, knocking the Storm as "the wrong team moves" is just wrong and a slam on LJ and Sue Bird.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeV7tQoQZ2M
www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8qquW_z55c

Seattle retrospective: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDD1Ekfy3bq

Game 7 1979 Western Conference Final against the Phoenix Suns presented by Brent Musberger with Giorgio Moroder's Midnight Express chase theme: www.youtube.com/watch?v=w77oR2bwMC4
Old 23-12-2008, 05:58 AM   #36
Durbansandshark

I forgot to mention that in an earlier post regarding all of the Toronto Raptors clips that the man describing the Raptors from Vinsanity to the present (in this case, last season) on the Raptors' CBC debut is George Stroumboulopoulos. He hosts a late night CBC Television talk show from Monday through Thursday called The Hour. Stroumboulopoulos is a former MuchMusic, CityTv, and Fan 590 personality. For more on him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stroumboulopoulos
www.myspace.com/georgestroumboulopoulos
www.cbc.ca/thehour
www.strombo.com
Old 09-01-2009, 07:20 AM   #37
Durbansandshark

Vintage Kansas City (now Sacramento) Kings footage from 1981 starring Phil Ford, Scott Wedman, Otis Birdsong, Cotton Fitzsimmons (RIP), Ernie Grunfeld, and Lee Meriweather at the Kemper Arena in the final moments before losing the Western Conference Finals to the Houston Rockets and Moses Malone, Robert Reid, Billy Paultz, Mike Dunleavy Sr., and Calvin Murphy. It was really the last great moment for the KC Kings before leaving four years later. Note the classic film camera briefly when the Rockets won--something the NBA used until 1983 when it went to video for highlight footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYdJuEDbh0g
Old 24-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #38
Durbansandshark

A concise retrospective of Toronto's early pro basketball history from the Huskies to the Raptors' early days with all of the most notable points like Damon Stoudemire becoming the first ever draft pick, the first regular season NBA game at home against New Jersey and won, Raptors' first points from an Alvin Robertson three, and Isiah Thomas named as GM. The Huskies of course have the distinction of the hosting the first NBA game in its history against the New York Knicks at the famed Maple Leaf Gardens, sorta recreated 50 years later when the Raptors donned Huskies replicas jerseys at the SkyDome in hono(u)r of them against the Knicks. Did actually play select games at the Maple Leaf Gardens until moving for the gleaming downtown Air Canada Centre. This sidesteps (or conspicously makes absent) the the fact that Wilt Chamberlain was part of a prospective ownership group in the mid-1980s that attempted to bring the NBA to Toronto but lost out to Charlotte, Miami, Minneapolis, and Orlando in 1987 during that expansion derby. Of course that was long before FIBA granted the rioghts to host the 1994 FIBA World Basketball Championship to Toronto and nearby Hamilton, Ontario. Also, Magic Johnson was part of one of the three ownerships that the NBA Board of Governors were selecting to grant a team up there in 1993 that eventually went to John Bitove's ownership group. Ironically one of the Raptors' current owners, John Tannenbaum from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (majority ownership from the Ontario Teachers Pension Board) that Bitove subsequentially sold to, was part of the other bidding group. I miss the the first courts the Raptors had. Dragons and Scorpions are thankfully still available as names for a St. Louis NBA team. Beavers is a nod to the Canadian national animal. Hogs is a nod to Toronto's nickname, at times perjorative, Hogtown. Didn't know there was another dinosaur name to chose for Toronto--T-Rex, which can used in reference for Toronto.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJQBCSAdHZ8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEF_r9m0zpM&NR=1
Old 12-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #39
Durbansandshark

Just in time to celebrate the 2009 NBA All-Star Weekend coming up this weekend! The first NBA All-Star Game in Phoenix--1975! The NBA's 25th. How cool was it to see NBA All-Star gear stylized like the classic Phoenix Suns uniforms back then? My Suns bias is clearly showing. But that's OK!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XISwcmnbhU (Interesting info accompanies this video and Andy Williams signs the anthem)

If I can get some more time later this week. I'll link the 1995 All-Star Weekend.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #40
Durbansandshark

A follow up to the last post here with the Top Ten Plays from the first NBA All-Star Game in Phoenix back in 1975.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D5_tKdMeMc

Wish I had the full 1995 All-Star game, but it isn't available right now. So I'll give you the final five minutes with Sacramento's Mitch Richmond post-MVP announcement interview. I actually like this year's NBA All-Star court more so than the one used in 1995.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGLsoNjMgHY
Old 17-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #41
Durbansandshark

Back on this after a while.

When the Toronto Raptors came into the NBA in 1995 along with their then-Canadian brethren Vancouver Grizzlies (BRING THEM BACK THERE!!!), who would've thunk it that that expansion team would end up acting as one of the few bumps on the road of the legendary 72-10 Chicago Bulls team, "beating Michael" both times at home at the SkyDome? Did Isiah had something up for Mike there? Granted, Dennis Rodman was either suspended or ejected (in this case) in Toronto during those games. So if he was there, they'd be road kill en route to the Bulls' title. Anyway, whenever and wherever Mike takes his road show, fans will flock to the hilt. Indeed, the Raptors had an attendance record of 36,131 at the SkyDome for this one...and they won in this one taken from CTV! Unlike a lot of regular season games, this was memorable, historical, and classical for a host of reasons. I just described a couple of them.

Raptors actually had some talent for an expansion team: rookie Damon Stoudemire, Carlos Rogers, Oliver Miller, Alvin Robertson, John Long, and Zan Tabak, just to name a few. If things were done properly, they would reap the benfits of talent that would've gone toe to toe consistently against any team in any league with the right chemistry, playing minutes, coaching philosophy, talent, and confidence to do so. You can get far greater additional details from uploader det916
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EruzMMs6wTM
Old 27-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #42
Durbansandshark

1986. The Atlanta Hawks were the hot, exciting ticket in Atlanta pro sports. The Braves and the Falcons were awful back then. NHL hockey won't return there until 13 years later and wasn't exactly reeling from the departure of the Flames to Calgary. Pro soccer wasn't exactly an option. When it comes to the city, it can take its teams for granted or be apathetic. When the Hawk had Dominique, Spud, Kevin Willis, Cliff Levingston, Jon Koncak, and Tree, you klnow the team would fill up the old Omni. CNN's headquarters was right next door--still is with the Philips Arena, built in the place of the Omni. On Superstation WTBS, the Hawks were, naturally, a perennial presence during the cable channel's NBA broadcasts up until the 1990s, even onto TNT's inception two years later. When your that popular at the time, you emulate what the Chicago Bears did with their Super Bowl Shuffle and make your own music video. Such was the case with Atlanta's Air Force and T. Grouse and the Varsity. Varsity is a reference to the famed local fast food and drive thru joint there that sells hot dogs by the ton. Looking at it now, even with all of the exciting game footage, it looks ridiculously cheesy. But that was the 1980s. Here's T. Grouse and the Varsity's "Nothing Can Stop Us, We're Atlanta's Air Force", the Atlanta Hawks Team Song.

www.youtube.como/watch?v=mfXYyCJYY40

Last edited by Durbansandshark; 27-05-2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: additional wording
Old 12-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #43
Durbansandshark

Perhaps the very first "NBA Action--It's Fan-tastic" promo the NBA aired during their games, I think from 1981-82, when the NBA still used actual film cameras (16mm?) for archival footage before completely moving to videocams. Nowdays the NBA is so lucrative and prosperous it utilizes video cameras that can give a film-like look. There are a few others I remember seeing from the 80s that aren't on YouTube yet like the one featuring NBA coaches like then-Phoenix Suns coach John Macleod and possibly his Indiana Pacers counterpart Jack McKinney interspersed with NBA action.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlPB7CDN6r8
Old 16-08-2009, 05:13 AM   #44
Durbansandshark

When Canada had two NBA franchises both with seemingly emerging young NBA superstars--Vince Carter in Toronto and Shareef Abdur Rahim in Vancouver generating publicity north of the border at seemingly opposite ends of the country (it should still be like that). Vancouver is of course sadly no longer in the NBA. And both never quite fufilled the annoited superstar tag upon them. Reef had the worst luck only played in six playoff games with the Sacramento Kings in his NBA career riddled with bad players around him. Vinsanity has yet to make the conference finals. Here both admire each other's skills exaggerattingly for NBA Canada in a 2000 promo shown up there on Canadian TV.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki3Kji0hsM0
Old 05-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #45
Durbansandshark

And now, I very happily present to you in its entirety, the instant classic Game 5 of the 1976 NBA Finals between the Boston Celtics and Phoenix Suns at the "Gahden" live from CBS Sports with Brent Musberger, Rick Barry (yes, in his pimp-like Steve Austin duds), Mendy Rudolph, and Sonny Hill. The "sickest NBA game ever"!

I highly recommend that you click on to the Play All as opposed to clicking on all the parts.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ15lmuMD0I
Old 07-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #46
Durbansandshark

And now I present to you the ENTIRE Memorial Day Massacre, aka Game 1 of the 1985 NBA World Championship Series or NBA Finals, as the latter would be called the following season. I, like many people, remember watching this game live and realizing with cheerful optimism that there was NO WAY that Evil Laker Empire was ever going to come back after that much-deserved thrashing. Odiously, they sadly did as we all know. Everyone from the Evil Laker Empire happily played badly. Also notice the bigger police presence on their side of their bench. No lights-out or pryotechnics, jumbotron, lazers, or even the boombast in the player intros. Fascinating and ironic at the same time. It wasn't until 2008, that we witnessed another much-thankful blasting from the Celtics (or any other team) upon the Evil Laker Empire. When I saw the DVD for this otherwise rotten series, I thought it was the full game, but it isn't and NBATV doesn't show the full game either in their classic flashbacks. Perhaps the NBA doesn't want to embarass that corrupt empire over this. Just remember, they ALWAYS suck!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8RFgy_lePg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx3J6hAsMkM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxEatMig0A4
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENjBhaW8blM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBvxs4jHaRM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1awgC9Z99M
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak8mqiV8yOA
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohx9aXFPsQ
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFNNVqhYhHg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTBODY7wrs
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzGMqqlC0E
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrEU_gy_1CU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=X49TSW92hfg
Old 25-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #47
Durbansandshark

A slight left turn this time in this. We go to the original ABA back in the 1970s and the underrated Dr. J, Julius Erving, from the New York Nets era, big afro and all, the the public face of the ABA then. Also featuring Nets coach Kevin Loughery, Billy "the Whopper" Paultz, and John "Hondo" Havlichek. Some of the audio in the video is gone due to being a rough cut, I guess. Check out the innovative dunk at 0:26.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cls7E3yUlKE
Old 05-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #48
Durbansandshark

Game 2. 1984 NBA Finals. The Celtics were stunned on their home, famed parquet floor after the first game in their epic and classic matchup against the corrupt Evil Laker Empire, who ran them out of their own floor. Their D wasn't up to snuff against them. Something had to be done. KC Jones had the team sequestered from the media during practice for Game 2 in an attempt to regroup. The C's frontline was a mixed bag--Robert Parrish got run in circles, Kevin McHale played well then. But more and more responsibilities got burdened on Larry Bird with Michael Cooper sticking to him defensively, admitting that he can't stop Larry Bird only muscle and getting physical with him and forcing 15-footer shots with a hand to his face. Magic was on fire to start with here. Celtics fans were anxious as the game see-sawed; things look bleak for the Celtics at 20 seconds remaining at regulation when McHale got fouled and missed his two free throws that would've tied the game and the Evil Laker Empire immediately called timeout with a rebound. This game is best known for one of the greatest NBA playoff moments: Gerald Henderson steals the ball to propel the Celtics late in the game to victory and tie the series at 1-1. Bird after the game quipped that Henderson "saved our ass".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAu2YnAPOGI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_heh3r1xNVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j2eLD77Ov8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaM_6-eymjY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RCwk9w8RR0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcN-jvTxYFU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8MC_tFY8Z
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3wjqssZyd4

One thing of note in the game. Actually a couple. This is not the complete game. Sorry. There's also a sign that reads at the rafters saying "How's The View, Philly?", taunting the Sixers and their fans for not being at this stage.
Old 30-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #49
Durbansandshark

What you are about to see (and I believe many of you actually did ) is the presentation ceremony of the NBA's 50 Greatest Players that took place at the 1997 NBA All-Star Game in Cleveland's Gund Arena (now the Quicken Loans Arena, or affectionately the Q for short) at halftime. At the time, only Pistol Pete Maravich was the lone deceased member of the club, as he was repped by his two sons Joshua and Jason. Since then of course, Wilt Chamberlain, Pitchin' Paul Arizin, Dave DeBusschere, and George Mikan all sadly passed away. Jerry West wasn't present becuase he was recovering from surgery. Shaq was another no-show and was criticized for that--even booed, probrably a sign of the perceived disregard the younger generation had to those before them and of authority. Barkley and Robinson were injured, and you'll notice they were just in street clothes. The NBA is pushing 75 now so you can make a case for an additional set of 25 people to add on--Tim Duncan, Dominique Wilkins, Artis Gilmore, Bob McAdoo (those three were worthy of making it), Steve Nash, Adrian Dantley, Chris Mullin, LeBron James, Dwayne Wade are among the strong possibilities for future inclusion. Thanks to the likes of YouTube, you can relive this moment on-demand without having to "take a real good look at this".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrmBxdyPd34

Last edited by Durbansandshark; 30-07-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 24-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #50
Durbansandshark

John Havlicek's retirement ceremony in 1978 halftime during the last regular season home game against the Buffalo Braves.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XNvB_LFVAo (Part 1)