TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > Otherhoops

Notices

Old 18-09-2007, 03:28 AM   #51
Durbansandshark

Italy and France are out too from qualifying. Shocking...

Now it's the women's turn to see who's going to qualify along with China and the Opals. USA is almost prohibitly a lock out of those who will qualify during this time.

More will come later from me.
Old 18-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #52
2sc945

WTF Iran unranked?!? Why??? They are the current Asian champions, should get some points for their efforts.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA
2sc945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 05:30 AM   #53
Durbansandshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sc945
WTF Iran unranked?!? Why??? They are the current Asian champions, should get some points for their efforts.
The Iranians surely will get a boost in the FIBA rankings with them conquering Asia...

Meanwhile, the African Women's Basketball Championship is underway in Dakar, Senegal. I'll hope to get into greater detail in a day or two. I like Nigeria--Ime Udoka's sis, Mfon Idoka, who wears number 11 for the national teams and is US-born like Ime, is the star of the team--Mali, Angola, and Senegal in this. Right now, I have trouble actually finding a website to the event.
Old 26-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #54
2sc945

I got one for u:

2007 FIBA Women's African Championships

[shocked]

Three teams, Mali, Senegal and Angola are still unbeaten in this tournament. Angola upsets Nigeria 53-42 on Day 3.

OMFG Angola is starting to dominate African b'ball for both genders.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA
Old 27-09-2007, 04:35 AM   #55
Durbansandshark

Thanks but that is not the official website for the event, just news from www.africabasket.com.

Anyway, here are the teams in the championship:

POOL A
Ivory Coast
Madagascar
Mali
Morocco
Senegal
Tunisia

POOL B
Angola
Cameroon
Cape Verde
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Kenya
Nigeria

It's worth noting here that another notable African basketball player, Mwadi Mabika, she of the NDCELE WNBA Chapter, perhaps the best known in the west right now, is currently playing for the Democratic Republic of the Congo. She gained notice for herself following her country's qualification out of Africa, then known as Zaire, to the 1996 Atlanta Olympics as a 17-year old, which surely helped her huge upside and talent.

Don't sleep on Tunisia; they could surprise.

Expect a more significant talent level drop off from the African elite to the likes of Zimbabwe, Madagascar, and Cape Verde in the women's game as opposed to the men. Women's basketball in much of Africa, unlike, say, Angola, is far behind in terms of development and organization than the men. If all of the problems of African basketball affecting the men are bad, imagine what's it's like for the women. So the game is not even ready to have a 16 African women's team field like the men just now got.
Old 27-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #56
2sc945

Now the hosts Senegal is the only unbeaten team after the Preliminary Round, they beat Mali 48:37 on Day 6 while Angola loses to Democratic Republic of Congo 42:52.

TFRENBAA
Old 05-10-2007, 05:24 AM   #57
Durbansandshark

Down in Valdivia, Chile, the USA won the sole automatic Olympic berth for the Americas to nobody's surprise. Argentina, Brazil, and Cuba will proceed to the Olympic Qualification Tournament next year. Canada, some would say disappointingly--including myself, finished fifth by beating hosts Chile and earlier Mexico. The Canadian women had a chance to surprise against the USA and Cuba, but their inexperience in international play for many (too many turnovers, forced shots, acclimating to the physical style, and starting off slow) come through. Again, many of the players like former All-Canadians Sarah Crooks, Tamara Tatham, and Isabelle Grenier tasted their first major international ball at the senior level. Kim Smith and Therese Gabrielle both got injured, which didn't help their prospects. More will come later.

Meanwhile in Senegal...Mali in a mild upset are your 2007 African women's basketball champions in Senegal and will make their Olympic basketball debut in either men's or women's play as they represent the African continent. They bitterly defeated the hosts 63-56 in Dakar at the Marius N'Diaye Gymnasium on September 30 in front of a vociferously backed crowd. If you paid any attention, the landlocked and predominately Muslim French-speaking West African nation had several of their players from that team from the World Junior Women Championship that was held in Brno, Czch Republic. Houston Comet Hamchatou Maiga is the 2007 African Tournament MVP. Senegal was denied a chance to directly return to Olympic basketball since Sydney 2000 (the men only made it in Moscow 1980). Many Senegalese fans wept uncontrollably after their heroes lost as they were hoping to plan a party long after the night. But Senegal and Angola will head towards next year's OQT. Nigeria, the defending champions here and one of the faves to win it, again disappointed in African basketball championship play this year despite Mfoe Udoka leading all players in scoring, averaging 15.5 points.

Don't worry everybody, Mali will get destroyed in Beijing....

UPDATE: Eurobasket women 2007 was in its last day of qualifying in Italy with Belarus solidly among the top 8 European teams in their first ever Eurobasket performance playing cool, knocking off any hope for the Azzurri to advance. The Italians must've applied too much pressure upon themselves to must-win over Belarus. Russian basketball certainly looks white hot with the men conquering Spain last month and now the twin towers of Maria Stepanova and Irina Osipova greatly dominating their Spanish counterparts. Never discount Ilona Korstin and Svetlana Abrosimova. Watch out for them next year! France is solid, as usual...but they just lost in the quarterfinal to Latvia, effectively ending any chance to go into the Olympics (just like the men did), thanks to former Siena Saint Gunta Basko, Anate Jekasombe, Iveta Kublina, and Zane Tamane. So we're robbed of a chance to see Sandra LeDrean, Edwidge Lawson, Audrey Sauret, and Celine Dumerc next year in Beijing.
www.eurobasketwomen2007.com
If you want to know more about the France collapse against Latvia, read this with a photo of a devastated Celine Dumerc (in French): www.ffbb.com/page_m.php?d=actu&p=actu&id=3502

Correction: France will need top win two classification games to qualify for the OQT by finishing fifth.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:58 AM   #58
Durbansandshark

Three of the Eurobasket womens 2007 semifinalists are revealed: Russia, Latvia, and surprising Belarus (over the Czech Republic). Belgium (led by Ann Wauters) and Spain will battle it out for the final semi spot (and one that will assure a Western European representative in this) in a matter of hours. The Czech Republic and Lithuania will join France and the Spain/Belgium loser to duke it out for that precious fifth place spot. Like to see Belgium get in, but Spain's got the experience and where they excell in the quarterfinals.

The Malian women's team receives very nice rewards for their incredible accomplishments upon their triumphant return home to the capital city of Bamako that will certainly help the development of Malian women's basketball in addition to their personal accolades when they visited the Malian president.
www.fiba-africa.com/en/lect_actu.php?titre=actu&id=1602

UPDATE: Spain defeats Belgium 72-53 to take the final semifinal spot. The semis are set with the Spanish taking on red-hot Belarus and Russia facing Latvia. I'm predicting a Russian Eurobasket double. Belgium fought hard having to work hard for every point and to close the gap Spain placed on them even with an effective Ann Wauters and her 22 points. The Belgians played their quaterfinal against Spain under a tragic circumstance--reserve forward Eveline Decroos' boyfriend died before the game and the news was a massive blow to the team when it reached them at lunchtime, who sported black tape on their jerseys in memoriam. What caused his death wasn't yet revealed. I hope to get that after the weekend. Decroos did not play nor was she on the bench. She and her family left Italy for home on Saturday morning. Because of this, they couldn't truly focus mentally and that resulted with Belgium making 23 turnovers despite constantly rallying from behind.

Who do I like to get that vital fifth spot for the second chance matches next year out of France, Belgium, Czech Republic, and Lithuania? I'll go with France. They're too talented, experienced, and athletic all through their roster to give that up and have French basketball something to smile about following the disappointing men in Spain (more on them soon). Would be nice to see either Belgium (for the aforementioned reason above) or Lithuania get it (has yet to make their Olympic women's basketball appearance).
Old 10-10-2007, 04:27 AM   #59
Durbansandshark

I picked wrong about France (I'll save it for the next post in this)....

This is what the Beijing 2008 women's basketball field will be potentially made of:

THE QUALIFIED:
China--hosts
Australia--World Champions
South Korea--Asian Champions
New Zealand--Oceanian Champions
Mali--African Champions
United States--Americas Champions
Russia--European Champions

REPACHARGE QUALIFIERS:
Japan and Chinese Taipei (Taiwan)--Asia
Senegal and Angola--Africa
Cuba, Brazil, and Argentina--Americas
Spain, Belarus, Latvia, and Czech Republic--Europe
Fiji--Oceania

five teams will qualify for Beijing out the repecharge tournament
Old 14-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #60
2sc945

For women's repecharge tournament, Fiji, Angola, Senegal, Chinese Taipei and Argentina won't qualify. The 4 European teams will fight it out with Brazil, Japan and Cuba.

My five: Brazil, Czech Republic, Spain, Cuba and Japan.

For men's tournament, Cape Verde, Cameroon, Korea Republic and Lebanon got no chance, Canada, Puerto Rico and Croatia got little chance, Greece is a class above the rest while Brazil, Germany, New Zealand and Slovenia will be in dogfight for the remaining 2 spots available.

My three: Greece, Germany and New Zealand.

TFRENBAA
Old 26-10-2007, 07:22 AM   #61
Durbansandshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sc945
For women's repecharge tournament, Fiji, Angola, Senegal, Chinese Taipei and Argentina won't qualify. The 4 European teams will fight it out with Brazil, Japan and Cuba.

My five: Brazil, Czech Republic, Spain, Cuba and Japan.

For men's tournament, Cape Verde, Cameroon, Korea Republic and Lebanon got no chance, Canada, Puerto Rico and Croatia got little chance, Greece is a class above the rest while Brazil, Germany, New Zealand and Slovenia will be in dogfight for the remaining 2 spots available.

My three: Greece, Germany and New Zealand.
After some thinking, it's easier to eliminate who will make it obviously: Fiji, like the Tall Ferns before them, should just be thanking the Opals for its direct Olympic qualification by winning the World Championship last year causing the Fijians going up one level than they normally would. Angola won't be able to join their brothers to Beijing, though it may be as organized like them. Although Senegal made it to the Sydney Olympics in 2000, this is seemingly a whole new collective this time around, and that lack of bigger international experience outside of the continent will hurt them--therefore I can't see two African teams in Beijing. Argentina will no doubt learn what it takes to win internationally and are maybe undersized. Wouldn't be an interesting story if Chinese Taipei makes it to Beijing with that subplot involving the People's Republic of China's hostile relationship with the "renegade province" that is Taiwan? They actually could make it IMHO.

I agree with almost all of your picks for the women except I would replace Cuba with either Chinese Taipei or Latvia. The European teams will always be solid. Spain is a lock and are damn good with Ana Montoya. I can't see Belarus qualifying but they did surprise in Eurobasket 2007 and showed they belonged in Europe's Division A. So they could do it again here. Czech Republic is another lock and are taking up the slack from their Slovakian neighbors. Brazil will still miss Janeth Arcain but they still have more than enough talent and physicality to get through. Japan is undersized but they are speedy and will run circles around their opponents. Cuba is just coming off of their hibernation

Man, I wish Canada and France were in this, for they have the tools to qualify (more on the French later)...

My Picks: Brazil, Spain, Czech Republic, Japan, Latvia

Over in the men: I agree about Cape Verde, Cameroon (even if they can get Reuben Boumje-Boumje and Germaine Njitap with Luc Mbah e Moute as a teammate), and Lebanon having no shot. Greece is tops and will go through. If Canada can get a healthy Andy Rautins from his torn ACL, and Steve Nash and Jamaal Magloire says yes to suit up for the Maple Leaf, I will pencil in the Canadians as they get better and deeper. They will have to fight it against New Zealand, Brazil, and Slovenia. Many of the players have some international experience that they can grow on. For now, I will cautiously have them in. Puerto Rico seen better days in the short term. Ditto for Croatia. But we could wrong about them. New Zealand is a bit undersized despite being in two straight Olympics. There's some more fights for those two spots after Greece. Dirk's gonna will the Germans to qualification unless they run into an African team that could give them problems like with what happened in Japan against Angola and Nigeria.

My three: Greece, Germany, and Canada

There's been some changes to the men's Olympic Qualification Tournament with respect to attaining a high standard of play and it got pushed closer to the Beijing 2008 with info on the format.
www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews ... /arti.html

France has got to be the biggest all-around disappointment in these continental qualification tournaments with both their men's and women's teams failing to qualify. I expected both to make to Beijing. Both finished eighth in their respective tournaments. How could they not understand the significance of these games? The FFBB administration failed mightily in reminding them of the signifcance. The men are probrably the biggest ones with all of the talent it assembled with Boris Diaw, Tony Parker, Ronny Turiaf, Tariq Kirksay, Yukhoba Diawarra, and Florent Pietrus with both offense and defense along with their athleticism. If they made it to the Olympic Qualification Tournament, they'd be a lock to get out. Poland beckons for them in 2009, so they must try again and ultimately get to London 2012. Over the women, yes, there was some young players playing in a big tournament in the senior level but they could stepped up their game. And more younger, more athletic players will make their way into both roster. To say the least, I'm very disappointed in them. I worry that London would be a bridge too far for Sandra LeDrean, Audrey Sauret, Sandra Dijon, and Edwidge Lawson. Where's the courage and heart? Expect coaching changes in both the men and women programs.

Meanwhile, Team GB has a lot to be very happy with now. Both its men's and women's teams earned promotion into Eurobasket Division A, a very important thing to do to have automatic qualification with London 2012 looming. 37-year old Andrea Cogreaves, in her final game for England/Great Britain, led the Brits to a 60-58 win over The Netherlands with her 14 points for Mark Clark's side in The Netherlands on September 28. The Brits won on agreggate in the home and home series against the Dutch despite previously losing to the Portugal, previously destroying The Netherlands 68-32. Australian-born Scot Megan Moody added her own 14 to go with her 10 rebounds. Joining them for promotion will be Bosnia-Herzegovina, who defeated Norway. With the men, Britain came to Geneva, Switzerland to gain one of those two promotion spots and won convincingly 87-79 over the Swiss and Thabo Sefalosha's 17 points. Robert Archibald netted 23 points and hauled six rebounds while Luol Deng has 22 points and five rebounds. Finland, coached by former Germany coach Henrik Dettman, a Finn, got promoted too after knocking off Romania. I can imagine a very solid and competitive British team in the near future with Deng, Archibald, Ben Gordon, Pops Mensah-Bonsu, 18-year old Ashley Hamilton, Richard Midgley, Andrew Sullivan, Daniel Clark, Eric Boateng, Kelenna Azuibuike, Neil Fraser, among them. Look for a recap on Luol Deng's attempt to put British basketball on the international map in SLAM magazine soon.

EA Sports' NBA Live 2008 isn't the only video game featuring FIBA teams. A basketball manager game has hit the market for the PC in Europe carrying the FIBA license by Dadaelic and Germany's Xider Games. Unlike NBA Live, this features all of the teams from Eurobasket 2007 in Spain and those from the 2006 World Basketball Championship in Japan, including the Boomers and the Tall Blacks (no Canada... ). It's called FIBA Basketball Manager 2008. Of course, when SEGA releases its official Beijing 2008 video game next year leading up to the Games, basketball will be included and I assume both the men's and women's games will be in it.
www.basketballmanager-game.com
Trailer: www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Lk0dv11Mw
Old 03-11-2007, 05:43 AM   #62
Durbansandshark

Want some Canada Basketball gear? A whole new batch of Canada Basketball gear from Nike has just arrived recently to take a look at or buy!

http://shop.basketball.ca
Old 05-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #63
N B Net

$70.00 for a golf shirt seems a bit much!!! As for the women's repechage...my picks are: Spain, Czech, Brazil, Argentina and Japan.
N B Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #64
2sc945

Quote:
Originally Posted by N B Net
$70.00 for a golf shirt seems a bit much!!! As for the women's repechage...my picks are: Spain, Czech, Brazil, Argentina and Japan.

Argentino women's b'ball fall dramatically since 06 WC, atm they are actually weaker than Chinese Taipei.

TFRENBAA
Old 16-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #65
N B Net

Their 06WC team were all youngsters. They were only losing one player from the team that finished a respectable 9th.
N B Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 08:00 AM   #66
Durbansandshark

Most of the Argentine players are youngsters, so that in itself is cause for them not to qualify. None of the players are currently in the WNBA or ever played there as far as I know, and all but one (Laura Nicolini plays for Caligari in Italy Serie A2) are just playing professionally in Argentina.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:01 AM   #67
Durbansandshark

My first significant memory of German basketball came when I was small watching a road game of then-undefeated Missouri Tigers at the University of Washington on TV one weekday evening in 1982. Because it was on from the west coast, it was 9:30pm in St. Louis. Consequently, I didn't see the whole thing. The Tigers lost that game, but I saw a glimpse of the changing face of international basketball. Thanks to Washington coach Marv Williams and his staff, it was my first exposure to Detlef Schrempf and Christian Welp, the two highly touted Germans. Detlef had a moustache that he would later take off when he was a Dallas Maverick. There have been some foriegn players making marks in the NCAA like the late Kresimir Cosic at BYU (he converted to Mormonism later in his life) and Eddie Palubinskas at LSU, but they were mostly, if I recall, Canadians. But Schrempf and Welp were the among the leaders, along with fellow German Uwe Blab of Indiana, Bridgeport's Manute Bol and Fresno St.'s Jos Kuipers from The Netherlands, of a new generation of college basketball players coming to America (excluding Canadians) in the 80s. Schrempf and Welp helped make the Washington Huskies into a power out of the Pac-10. Blab was a standout center at Indiana under Bobby Knight, and his brother Olaf was about to play next door in Illinois--I don't remember seeing Olaf playing much there if at all. But Uwe was under constant criticism from Knight for not being in playing shape. Blab, Schrempf, and Welp all attended US high schools as exchange students before arriving in US colleges. While living in Seattle as both in high school and college, Schrempf was further honing his hoops skills out on the playgrounds doling it out streetball-style. With those three, they became the young cornerstones for the 1984 West German Olympic basketball team in Los Angeles, a team coached by an American who knew about the German basketball scene at the time. Following three consecutive losses to Yugoslavia, Italy, and Australia, they won two victories over Egypt and France to somehow make it into the quarterfinals against the vaunted Americans coached by--you guessed it!--one of Satan's numerous spawns. West Germany actually would qualified for Moscow 1980 in basketball, but they of course joined the US boycott along with Argentina, Puerto Rico (the commonwealth island did participate in the Games), and China. So Los Angeles was my first opportunity to see them in action as West Germany. The Boomers subsequently repeated their win over them for seventh place. I presumed if the Germans were able to keep their rising young core, West Germany would rise among Europe. But it wasn't to be.

Just remember that Dallas has a tradition of having Germans on their rosters before the Dirkster with Schrempf and Blab being there almost two full decades before Nowitzki's arrival. I don't know exactly what is it with the Germans and Texas. Schrempf and Blab were bench players then with Schrempf earning more playing timke than his countrymen behind Harper, Aguirre, Vincent, Perkins, and Donaldson. Schrempf has some potential there in the Big D. It wasn't until Detlef's trade to Indiana that he really blossomed to a star. He became the first European to play in the NBA All-Star game in 1993, and would've made a longshot MVP candidate. As for Welp and Blab, they had little NBA impact, was it due to prejudice from coaches and GMs because they are foriegn, or was it the fact their games weren't translatable to the NBA level effectively? In fact, Welp and Blab were traded for each other by San Antonio and Golden St. in 1990. Basketball was never big in East Germany, it must be noted.

It was during this span, even after reunification, that German basketball was beginning to wane from its fleeting popularity despite adequate coverage of Schrempf's successful exploits in the NBA from the German public and the media alike. Then again, the media there never really has given basketball true love, except when it tried to play in Eurobaskets and in Olympic qualifications. But even it was minimal in the past on ARD and ZDF. Schrempf declined to participate for Germany's international basketball oportunities numerous times then. So it was left to the likes of Blab, Welp (those two also weren't always available for national tesam duty), former Alaska-Anchorage star Hansi Gnad, who was drafted by the Philadelphia 76ERS and was taken by the Miami Heat in the 1988 expansion draft but never played in the NBA and continued to play in the German Bundesliga up to his early 40s, dunking extrordinaire Henning Harnisch, Canadian-born Michael Jaeckel, Michael Koch, former North Carolina Tar Heel Henrik Rodl, and Jens Kuwaja. With those players and Schrempf in the summer of 1992, Germany qualified out of Europe for Barcelona with a narrow win over Slovenia. They eventually finished seventh in Barcelona, partly due to the over-reliance of Detlef Schrempf, though his presence made them better depth-wise. The following year's Eurobasket 93 with Germany serving as host, and their winning in it wasn't predicted. Welp made a clutch play in the waning seconds of the final against Russia by making a basket at the foot of the key and drawing the foul. He shoots his "and 1" and Germany stunningly wins in front of their fans in Munich. And they did all without Schrempf's services at all! They were as "Team of the Year" by the German press with a public wave of enthusiasm for basketball, but things began to detiorate again for the state of German basketball as it went back to where it formerly was. Dirk Bauermann left to coach in the Bundesliga and Finn Henrik Dettman took over.

DSF, the top cable German sports network, used to show basketball in the years immediately following the Eurobasket successful, but reduced its coverage of the basketball Bundesliga after that. Ratings plummeted for them and that of the national teams when German youth got transfixed with the NBA becoming a brand name overseas and of Michael Jordan. Newspapers and magazines stopped covering the domestic sport as much.

Then of course German basketball got a lucky break in the form of a David Hasselhoff-humming lanky youngster from Wurzburg named Dirk Nowitzki, whose eventual superstar status rejuvanted interest in German basketball, was drafted by the Mavs in 1998. With his play on the nation team, they enjoyed a renaisscience. Germany lost in the semis to Turkey in OT, and a demoralized German squad wound up fourth. The next year, success returned when they won over the surprising Tall Blacks for bronze at the World Basketball Championships in Indianapolis.

To be continued...
Old 07-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #68
West

Am I supposed to read all that?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #69
Durbansandshark

I'll add some more stuff pertaining to that and more in several hours.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:24 AM   #70
Durbansandshark

FIBA will announce over the weekend in Chicago on December 8-9 during their Central Board Meeting where the Olympic Qualification Tournaments will take place. Candidate cities are:

MEN: Athens and San Juan WOMEN: Tokyo and Madrid

I'm picking Athens (some reference to the last Summer Olympics) and Tokyo (proximity to Beijing)
Old 12-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #71
2sc945

MEN: Athens

WOMEN: Madrid

European teams will enjoy huge advantages next year.

TFRENBAA
Old 29-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #72
Durbansandshark

They sure will.

Tall Blacks coach Nenad Vucinic was recently given a two-year extension as head coach good up to 2010. My question is what's going to happen to his status, assuming as widely expected, despite NZ's solid experience in international basketball, that they will qualify for Beijing? The Tall Blacks will be undersized as usual, so they may have to hope for matchups that will favo(u)r them or their international experience may carry them through for their third consecutive Olympic appearance. Yes, his Nelson Giants won the 2007 Dominion Finance NZBL title, but the Tall Blacks are 6-11 under his tenure.

In honor of those royally shafted 466 members of the 1980 US Olympic Team that was supposed to participate in Moscow but couldn't go in protest of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and thus got their long-awaited Congressional medals, I will try to remember who was on the basketball teams.

I'll start with the men: Dave Gavitt--coach (Providence), Isiah Thomas (Indiana), Sam Bowie (Kentucky), Rolando Blackman (Kansas St.), Mark Aguirre (DePaul), Michael Brooks (LaSalle), Bill Hanzlik (Notre Dame), Darnell Valentine (Kansas), Danny Vranes (Utah), Buck Williams (Maryland), Al Wood (North Carolina), Rodney McCray (Louisville). Oh yeah, that awful head coach 24 years later, Larry Brown, then of UCLA, was an assistant to Gavitt. Maybe he should've avoided it again that time.

Women--Ann Donovan (Old Dominion), Carol Blazejowski (Montclair St.), Jill Rankin (Tennessee), Cindy Noble (Tennessee), Rosie Walker (Stephen F. Austin St.), Lynette Woodward (Kansas), LaTaunya Pollard (Long Beach St.), Debra Miller (Boston), Holly Warlick (Tennessee), Tara Heiss (Maryland), Kris Kirchner (Maryland), Denise Curry (UCLA)
Sue Gunther--coach (UCLA) Pat Summitt--assistant (Tennessee)

Argentina, Canada, China, Puerto Rico, and West Germany all boycotted the men's comp.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:59 AM   #73
Durbansandshark

It's worth noting that Puerto Rico actually DID participate in the 1980 Moscow Olympics, which is very interesting since it's a US Commonwealth and would expectedly toe the US line. Some of the other US territories like the US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and Guam either did not set up their NOCs yet or automatically joined the boycott. I like to read about this interesting Puerto Rico Moscow story; it refused use of their flag or anthem at the games.
Old 15-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #74
Durbansandshark

Here's the draw for the Pre-Olympic Qualifications--Women (Madrid)

Group A--Japan, Latvia, Senegal
Group B--Angola, Argentina, Czech Republic
Group C--Brazil, Fiji, Spain
Group D--Belarus, Chinese Taipei, Cuba

Quarterfinalist winners automatically go to Beijing. The losers will go into a pool of four teams with the top finisher getting the fifth (and last) women's Olympic qualification spot. The victors can go home with a win and energize themselves for Beijing.

Predictions:
Group A--1. Latvia 2. Japan 3. Senegal
Group B--1. Czech Republic 2. Argentina 3. Angola
Group C--1. Brazil 2. Spain 3. Fiji
Group D--1. Belarus 2. Cuba 3. Chinese Taipei

Quarterfinals:
Latvia over Argentina
Czech Republic over Japan
Brazil over Cuba
Spain over Belarus

Fifth Place Finisher: Belarus

More on how Aidin Bahrami's fatal car crash that also claimed the life of his fiancee rocked Iranian basketball:
www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews ... /arti.html
Old 20-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #75
2sc945

FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament for Women (Madrid)

Predictions:

Group A--1. Latvia 2. Japan 3. Senegal
Group B--1. Czech Republic 2. Argentina 3. Angola
Group C--1. Spain 2. Brazil 3. Fiji
Group D--1. Cuba 2. Belarus 3. Chinese Taipei

Quarterfinals:

Latvia over Argentina
Czech Republic over Japan
Spain over Belarus
Brazil over Cuba

Fifth Place Finisher: Cuba

TFRENBAA