TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > Otherhoops

Notices

Old 08-08-2007, 05:49 AM   #1
Durbansandshark
Default Some Random Thoughts On International Basketball

Iran, officially called the Islamic Republic of Iran, yes, Iran, surprised many observers this past weekend by winning the 2007 FIBA Asian Basketball Championship in Tokushima, Japan. Iran doused a red-hot Lebanon 74-69 to earn an automatic invite to Beijing as Asian champs. Normally China would get that, but since it is already in as hosts, the Chinese sent a B-team of sorts consisting of players from the CBA to Tokushima. Beijing will be Iran's debut in Olympic basketball, and could hopefully be the coming out party for Jaber Rouzbahani, who I know a lot of pro scouts will look at. Is this compared for Iranians with them clinching a 1998 World Cup berth a decade ago at the Nightmare at the MCG versus the Socceroos? Actually, let's not sleep on the Iranians: they finished 3rd at the Asian Games in Doha, Qatar.

Lebanon will join South Korea, who defeated Kazakhstan 80-76 for bronze, for an Olympic Qualification Tournament as the two Asian teams. I feel a little bad for Japan the hosts. They hosted last year's World Basketball Championship and the Asiabasket with the high hopes of improving their international standing en route to Olympic qualification to Beijing. But it went all for naught; they're too undersized, even with JR Henderson and selecting what group to be in (and an easy one at that), to make an impact. Japan hasn't been in men's Olympic basketball since 1976. They finished a very disappointing 8th.

Final standings:
1. Iran
2. Lebanon
3. South Korea
4. Kazakhstan
5. Jordan
6. Chinese Taipei (Taiwan)
7. Qatar
8. Japan
9. The Philippines
10.China
11.Syria
12.Indonesia
13.Hong Kong
14.Kuwait
15.India
16.United Arab Emirates

More details on that next post.

Over on the women's side, hosts South Korea won the Asian Championship in Incheon, South Korea a couple of months ago with a win over China 79-73. Former Storm Jung Sun-Min led the way. Japan, by being third, goes into its own wildcard Olympic tourney next year.

Tomorrow, the Eurobasket Qualifier will take place. Top three finishers in each of their respective groups go into a new group of three. The winner of that newly-formed group eventually gets the no-prize of being in Eurobasket 2007 Group A with powers Russia, Greece, and Serbia in Spain--the Group of Death.

Group A
Bulgaria
Hungary
Bosnia-Herzegovina

Group B
Estonia
Macedonia
Sweden

Group C
Ukraine
Belgium
Israel
Denmark

My pick will be Israel out of that.

Eurobasket nations that did not take part in this:
Austria
Albania
Great Britian
Switzerland
Norway
Finland
Montenegro
Cyprus
Malta
Gibraltar
San Marino
Ireland
The Netherlands
Slovakia
Romania
Faroe Islands
Azerbaijian
Armenia
Georgia
Moldova
Luxembourg
Liechtenstein
Monaco
Andorra

Back later with more details...
Old 08-08-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
Philby

I thought Great Britain were playing in the Euro Basket qualifiers. If they are you would think the would be in with a chance with Loul Deng definetly playing as well as big men Andy Betts and Robert Archibald.
Philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
Philby

Sorry Just realised they are playing in the division B part of the Qualifiers
Philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
Homer
Mmm .......... Dohnuts
Default Re: Some Random Thoughts On International Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbansandshark
Iran, officially called the Islamic Republic of Iran, surprised many observers this past weekend by winning the 2007 FIBA Asian Basketball Championship in Tokushima, Japan.
Don't be surprised by Iran Basketball. It appears that over the last five or so years, things have really developed up there.
Their Wheelie team is very competitive on an international front as well.

Never drive faster than angels can fly.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:01 AM   #5
Durbansandshark

Eurobasket Qualifiers 8-8-2007

GROUP A
Bosnia-Herzegovina 75 Bulgaria 71

GROUP C
Belgium 70 Ukraine 45
Israel 72 Denmark 60

www.eurobasket2007.org
www.fiba-europe.com

Iran joins hosts China and World Champs (and Eurobasket hosts) Spain to Beijing.

Africa Basket 2007--Angola (held in cities Luanda, Cabinda, Benguela, Huambo, and Lubango)
GROUP A
Angola
Cape Verde
Morocco
Rwanda

GROUP B
Egypt
Ivory Coast
Mali
Senegal

GROUP C
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Liberia
Nigeria

GROUP D
Algeria
Cameroon
South Africa
Tunisia

Cape Verde has just cancelled a series of three friendlies with Angolan pro club teams (ASA, Interclub, Cabinda) leading up to their arrival in Angola. No reason was officially given for that--likely travel expenses and the need to save them plus more time to develop their technical aspects of their game (and prepare for attacking and defensive plays) played a role. Organization reasons may attribute to that. But the island nation will take part in Angola.

Also, actually Algeria has dropped out of the Afrobasket 2007 comp in the aftermath of being the All-Africa Games hosts. Mozambique will replace them as the top seed in Group D.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
Durbansandshark

Eurobasket Qualifiers 8-9-2007

GROUP B
Estonia 57 Sweden 50

I don't understand why FIBA Europe created a qualification tourney with two groups of three teams and only one with four. It should be three groups of four. I can think of adding Great Britian, Switzerland, Georgia, The Netherlands, Montenegro, Finland, Belarus, and perhaps Ireland into the mix.

FIBA joining forces with EA Sports should come as no surprise to anyone when you think about how the EA Sports juggernaut already has the FIFA and UEFA licenses for years. The international basketball governing body, I presumed, was going to be the next big international sports body to fall into line. Maybe it should allow the basketball players to create its own labor union ala FIFPro to prevent endless and time-consuming practices to obtain players' licenses. I long realized that the only way international basketball was going to be in the video game these days was to be under the NBA Live series instead of having its own game. That said, I wish FIBA would allow other companies to use its license for, say, 2K Sports' NBA2K series in addition to EA Sports. We shouldn't be too disappointed in that there are only 8 national teams in the game--it was very late in the game's development when it was announced for them to be included under the FIBA banner. So I'm content with that. The real coming out should be next year with the advent of NBA Live 2009. By then, more national teams will be added including the Boomers, the Tall Blacks, Serbia, and Canada (I know a lot of you want to play the first two teams as well as myself). With the exception of the dreadful World Basketball 97, which was only released overseas while we North Americans had its doppelganger NCAA College Basketball 97, international basketball marks its return to video games since Team USA Basketball, which was made by--you guessed it--EA Sports. I think the production team should take its cues from the likes of their FIFA and Rugby brethren (since basketball is just as internationalized), among many other team sports games, in developing the international portion of the game. To sum it up, I would like for them to acquire pro leagues, continental and subcontinental tourneys and leagues. And to make it even more interesting, why not add the women's teams? These and many more suggestions can be found (I still hope...) on my international basketball video game wishlist.

How is this going to affect Beijing 2008's game, which is expected to include basketball? Since it long predated the announcement of the FIBA-EA Sports license, it should not affect it. Details are still unknown at this point for the game (I hope to get back into that too in these posts), so it's hard to say what exactly it will look like. We should expect the participating teams included with the players selected for them plus the likelihood of women's teams (in keeping perhaps with the gender equity agreement of the IOC upon the game) and nations that did not qualify to add in the place of or attempt to qualify with.

2007 FIBA Asian Basketball Women's Championship Placings (Incheon, South Korea)
1. South Korea
2. China (already qualified as Beijing 2008 hosts)
3. Japan
4. Chinese Taipei
5. Thailand
6. Malaysia

I'll find the Group B side for this later on.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
Goose

Israel would be pretty good at basketball wouldn't they?
I know Tel Aviv's euro team is mostly built up of imports but their national side would be competitive, yes?
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
MAIN_MAN

Not sure, though I can't remember Israel doing alot or anything for that matter in international ball.
MAIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:34 AM   #9
Durbansandshark

Does the names Doron Scheffer, Nadev Hanefeld, Micky Berkowitz, Shay Doron, Oded Katash, Amit Tamir, Erez Katz, Yotam Halperin, Sharon Sason, Liad Suez-Karni, Liane Selwyn, Shiri Sharon, Liron Cohen, Ekaterina Abramzon, Karin Agassi, and Guy Goodes mean anything to you?

Slovenia wins the FIBA Stankovic Cup in China in spite of losing to New Zealand's Tall Blacks in their final game 74-72.
Old 16-08-2007, 04:23 AM   #10
Durbansandshark

EuroBasket 2007 Qualifiers
8-11-2007

GROUP A
Bulgaria 79 Hungary 72
GROUP C
Israel 81 Denmark 73
Belgium 80 Denmark 66

8-13-2007
Estonia 72 Macedonia 66

Meanwhile, over in FIBA Europe Division B, Finland is doing well in its preparation for the upcoming Division B qualifiers against Austria later this month. It's undefeated in Group C winning four games. Shawn Huff scored 22 points with Finland adding 17 3-pointers in their defeat of the Tall Blacks 85-79 in the Svjetski World Cup currently held in Croatia. Hosts Croatia defeated a Loul Deng-less Great Britain 79-74 in the other game. But Team GB defeated the Tall Blacks 82-75 with a three point play (a bucket and a free throw) from center (centre) Andy Betts with 20 seconds left in the game. Kirk Penney scored 25 and Mark Dickel had a couple of threes to bring it close. Great Britian goes on to play against Slovakia in Birmingham, England.

Speaking of Slovakia, they defeated Austria 92-82. Radoslav Vacik scored 22 points but the team were dealt a blow with the knee injury to guard Anton Gavel. 10 points each came from Stefan Svitek and Daniel Novak. Christopher Kollik and Benjamin Ortner had 15 points for the Austrian hosts.
www.fiba-europe.com

Funny how Algeria is not going to be participating in the upcoming AfricaBasket in Angola, given that it has just hosted the All-Africa Games. It's niot because the Algerians are not a weak outsider without some continental and international experience. I'm very sure Algeria would field a quality team, by African standards, that will be competitive in Angola. It also hosted the last African championship two years ago as a qualifier for the FIBA World Basketball Championship (and qualified for the 2002 WC in Indianapolis). Many of its top players play professionally in France. Did they overextend their funding for basketball? Perhaps they were shamed after their disappointing performance in their objectives as All-Africa hosts with a lack of cohesive collective play, inconstant combativeness, and a weak bench by finishing fifth . Maybe its time for a renovation of the team, and that is perhaps why they pulled out.

Charlotte Bobcats coach Sam Vincent will coach the Senegalese in Angola.

The new mulitpurpose pavillions in Cabinda and Cidadela have just opened in time for Afrobasket 2007. Visit the website for AfricaBasket 2007 and say hi to the mascot Driblo the Lion, a fabulous dribbler. Nice logo!
www.afrobasket2007.com

Will get into more Afrobasket, Eurobasket, the Tournament of the Americas, Pan Am Games, Asiabasket, All-Africa, World University Games, and the womens games soon.

UPDATE: Sixer Samuel Dalembert finally will make his Canadian international debut in Las Vegas in time for Canada's training camp. www.nba.com/sixers/news/sammy_070808.html
Old 16-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #11
Mr bEn

Lithuania vs Serbia - take a look at this clip if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSKDE7ns-cc

Is there something screwy with the way this game finishes?

Is this footage old/new? I've googled and can't find anything.

I am amazed at the non-existant defence and poor pass sequence
Ozhoops Group Ranking - 30th
League - Ozhoops 1 - 8th
Mr bEn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #12
Poida
Send a message via MSN to Poida

That is a European Under 18's match, and the reason they did that was because they didn't want Spain (The favourites) going through to the Semi Final stage.

Read about it here:

http://http://www.draftexpress.com/v...#46;php?a=2206
FASTER.STRONGER.SWOITER.POIDA.
Poida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 06:25 AM   #13
Durbansandshark

Norway is such a backwater in basketball that it is not even in Division B Eurobasket or the Division B Promotion right now. Its Scandinavian friends are all in it. They don't play very often, with the women play slightly more. It has tried qualifying in Eurobasket but always falling short. The only time Norway has tried its hand in Olympic qualification was in 1988, and that was dismal. Don't look for it to develop into a Euro power overnight. Best thing for them is develop soem quality young players with perhaps an import onto their teams. Adidas is their official athletic outfitter. www.basket.no

I'm not a big fan of the current style of Team USA Basketball jerseys manufactured by Nike. They're officially called the Vegas style, in reference to Las Vegas hosting the Tournament of the Americas. I liked the previous styling from Nike in 2006 and Reebok for Athens 2004, but they are cursed because of the players' incompetence. If it helps to win the gold next year, then that is what is more important, isn't it?

When is Montenegro going to play their first internationals?

DIVISION B EUROBASKET
GROUP A
Cyprus
Ireland
Romania
Switzerland

GROUP B
Albania
Belarus
Great Britain
The Netherlands
Slovakia

GROUP C
Austria
Finland
Georgia
Luxembourg
Iceland

Eurobasket 2007 Qualifiers 8-16-2007
GROUP A
Bosnia-Herzegovina 83 Hungary 68

GROUP C
Ukraine 74 Denmark 64
Israel 85 Belgium 66
Old 18-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #14
Mr bEn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poida
Read about it here:
Thanks for the link. Amazing stuff.
Ozhoops Group Ranking - 30th
League - Ozhoops 1 - 8th
Mr bEn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 05:08 AM   #15
Durbansandshark

Since there is already stuff heavily mentioned about the FIBA Oceania Olympic Qualifiers between the Boomers and the Tall Blacks on the NBL posts, it would be a little redundant for me to post them here, save for a few of my thoughts on it. I'll get to that later. Go Boomers!

The 2007 FIBA Tournament of the Americas will kick start on Wednesday over in Las Vegas of course. And that will be interesting.

Eurobasket 2007 Qualifiers 8-18-2007
GROUP A
Bulgaria 70 Bosnia-Herzegovina 69
GROUP B
Estonia 68 Sweden 54
GROUP C
Belguim 72 Ukraine 69
Israel 105 Denmark 76

The losses for Sweden and Denmark illustrate how far the Scandinavian nations have to go in their progress to catch up with their southern European neighbors, to say nothing of Finland, Norway, and Iceland. Sweden has the best shot of the them all, but it will take a few years, and this despite the Swedes hosting the Eurobasket in 2003.
Old 22-08-2007, 05:44 AM   #16
Durbansandshark

Hopefully Canada, when it gets underway for the Tournament of the Americas, will get one of the two spots open to the Americas for Beijing. With a team potentially with Nash, Dalembert, Magloire, Carl English, Juan Mendez, Olu Fatummi, Denham Brown, and Co., it could do well.

Here's a look from Canada's Hoop Life: www.hooplife.ca/viewArticle.php?id=264
Old 22-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #17
yuma

Dont forget Dave Thomas
yuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #18
bucky

Quote:
With a team potentially with Nash, Dalembert, Magloire, Carl English, Juan Mendez, Olu Fatummi, Denham Brown, and Co., it could do well.
Nash and Magloire are not playing, Dalembert is definatley playing.
bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #19
old skool

USA squad for Americas selections: Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Kobe Bryant, Tyson Chandler, Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Jason Kidd, Mike Miller, Tayshaun Prince, Michael Redd, Amaré Stoudemire, and Deron Williams.

And the debate starts ... Chandler or Bosh, Prince or Battier, Miller or Durant, Billups or Heinrich. Makes the Bloomers selection seem easy as ...
Old 22-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #20
Durbansandshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky
Quote:
With a team potentially with Nash, Dalembert, Magloire, Carl English, Juan Mendez, Olu Fatummi, Denham Brown, and Co., it could do well.
Nash and Magloire are not playing, Dalembert is definatley playing.
Notice I said potentially. I knew there was a possibility that Nash and Magloire would not play due to the their long NBA seasons. I figured Nash would relish this opportunity to don the maple leaf in Las Vegas.

UPDATE: Afrobasket 2007 is well into the semifinal stage. Angola unsurprisingly made it to the semis over the Central African Republic 78-51. But the big surprise is that the other African powers Nigeria and Senegal, the most talented teams in Africa, aren't there. Cape Verde upset the Nigerians 62-53 for a ticket to it. Egypt makes it over Tunisia 67-57, and Cameroon knocks off Ivory Coast (Cote D'Ivorie) 67-57. I still like the Angolan hosts from the beginning of this.

Andy Rautins, coach Leo's son, is on the Canadian team along with the only players from the Canadian college scene are Carleton's Aaron Doorenkamp and Ryan Bell with Nash and Magloire out.

Anytime Nolan Richardson coaches a team, they will be dangerous indeed with his 40 minutes of hell. We could see this with Mexico. Horacio Llamas is there but not Eduardo Najera.

My predictions:
POOL A
1. Argentina
2. Puerto Rico
3. Mexico
4. Panama
5. Uruguay

POOL B
1. USA
2. Canada
3. Brazil
4. Venezuela
5. US Virgin Islands

Come see the Grover lookalike, Jay Jay!

Montenegro has actually fielded its U18 and U21 men's teams while setting up its first women's national team soon. More later.

Eurobasket 2007 Qualifiers
POOL C
Belgium 71 Denmark 61
Israel 68 Ukraine 63
Old 24-08-2007, 12:44 AM   #21
Durbansandshark

CORRECTION: Ryan Bell, a 6'5" guard from the Canadian college basketball juggernaut Carleton Ravens, is the only one actually playing out of the CIS in Las Vegas. His coach Dave Smart is there as an assistant though. Andy Rautins' injury could jeopardize Canada's prospects for Beijing. Samuel Dalembert scored 10 and Juan Gomez had 18 in a losing effort against the Blur that is Phoenix Sun Leandro Barbosa and his 30 points.

Team USA wins over Venezuela 112-69. Their results were a balanced offense, with seven players in double figures, and attacked relentlessly and often on both ends. They forced Venezuela to commit 20 turnovers that converted into 41 points.

This was my prediction toward the African Basketball Championship on how the countries would finish in their group play:
GROUP A
1. Angola
2. Morocco
3. Cape Verde
4. Rwanda

GROUP B
1. Senegal
2. Egypt
3. Ivory Coast
4. Mali

GROUP C
1. Nigeria
2. Central African Republic
3. Democratic Republic of the Congo
4. Liberia

GROUP D
1. Tunisia
2. South Africa
3. Cameroon
4. Mozambique

Nigeria and Senegal may be the most talented of the African teams (witness the exponential growth of how many players arrive and spread to the West to play and learn basketball at various levels from pro to high school in recent years, mostly in the US and Europe), but Angola is still the powerhouse and the favo(u)rite. There's a very good reason for this. For over 25 years Angola has been a power out of Africa for not just having its own set of talented players (though many have yet to make their way in many other countries not just primarily Portugal to play), it also due to the organization, the international experience it has had since the 1986 World Basketball Championship in Spain, and the coach is already familiar with his players for lengthy period. In their run of eight African titles over the last nine years, Angola has lost only twice in 1997 and 2001.

One of the worst problems many nations, if not the worst, in African basketball is organization; many of the players are spread thoughout the world. Just getting many of them together for a pre-tournament training camp to learn set defensive and offensive stretegies is a challenge. Consequently, countries like Nigeria have its players scarcely have the time to get know each other, practice, and build international experience together. This perennial problem is a source of, needless to say, great frustration. But Nigeria did defeat Serbia-Montenegro in last year's World Basketball Championship in Japan and almost did the same against Germany, which would have been historic and were a last second shot away.

For the first time, the African field expanded to 16 teams from 12 in a reflection of progress the sport has witnessed over the last five years. Top African teams like Angola, Nigeria, Senegal, Central African Republic, and Cameroon rely on the expatriates, which thus forms an elite.

Eurobasket 2007 Qualifiers 8-22-2007
GROUP A
Hungary 74 Bulgaria 67
GROUP B
Macedonia 95 Estonia 50
Old 24-08-2007, 05:31 AM   #22
Durbansandshark

The disappointing performances of Nigeria and Senegal in Angola illustrates the dual need of developing world class coaching and position players outside of their big men, which are easier to develop despite their limited skills, and of having a pre-tournament training camp gathering as many players from the Nigerian basketball diaspora as possible to prepare. This may more in Nigeria's case. But now both of their nations' Beijing Olympic hopes are shattered--neither will even make the Olympic qualification tournament. And this depsite the knowledge of African basketbal that Sam Vincent has when took the Senegal job. But since left it to Crawford Coleman, and was upset in group play by the Ivory Coast (Cote D'Ivorie). I'll get to more later. Check out some video exceprts TPA as you browse, including the one featuring the opening by Angolan President Jose Eduardo Dos Santos: www.afrobasket2007.com

Over in Eurobasket Division B, Luol Deng led Team GB with his 21 points and 10 rebounds after going cold in his first four of his five shots, and Slovakia never recovered when he got hot. Greta Britain won in Birmingham 77-52. Other British players with American connections like Richard Midgley and Robert Archibald helped with each scoring 14 points apiece with Archibald pulling down 8 rebounds as he recovers from his knee injury. The Netherlands are next on August 29. In releated British basketball, former international Steve Bucknall wants to join the Team GB coaching staff. I'd say, why not? Anything that will help Great Britain to join Eurobasket Division A for several years in time for London 2012, which they have to do to be autiomatically in for it. This is all the more reason to get Deng's Bulls teammate London-born Ben Gordon, who holds dual UK-US citizenship, to join in and make Team GB more competitive internationally.

UPDATE: Cameroon has beaten Egypt to go into the final 58-52, thanks to UCLA star Luc Mbah a Moute. Angola will surely beat Cape Verde.
Old 24-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #23
2sc945

Quote:
Cameroon has beaten Egypt to go into the final 58-52, thanks to UCLA star Luc Mbah a Moute. Angola will surely beat Cape Verde.

WHAT DA HELL????

06 World Championships play-off team Nigeria, 05 Afrobasket runner-up Senegal and traditional African powerhouse Algeria (nicknamed French B NT due to its French-based players) all failed to reach semis while soccer nations Cameroon, Egypt and Cape Verde (I didn't know they actually got a b'ball NT) made it.

Was BB Ebi Ere playing for the Nigerian NT?

* sigh *

Africa is seriously lacking coaching in b'ball. Angola is the only nation from that continent actually treat b'ball seriously.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA
2sc945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #24
2sc945

[img]http://www.afrobasket2007.com/cache/bin/XPQe1GwXX1598GwWN7CvoNFZKU.gif[/img]

Cap Vert

Cape Verde started in Afrobasket in 1977, precisely in the last edition which occurred in Senegal, having surprised whit their general quality of play especially a high level of fighting spirit.

Date of affiliation to FIBA: 1988

Ranking FIBA: 69th – 2,0 points

Participations: 2 – 1997 (7th), 1999 (9th)

Medals: 0

Egipt

Right after being founded, the Association of the Africans Basketball Federations (AFABA), the first championship occurred immediately in Cairo in 1962. Much better than its opponents, Egypt won the first African title without any difficulty. Sudan, Morocco, Ethiopia and Guinea Conakry couldn’t resist because at this time the Egyptian National championship was very competitive.

Date of affiliation to FIBA: 1934

Ranking FIBA: 32º - 28,0 points

Participations: 17 – 1962 (1º), 1964 (1º), 1970 (1º), 1972 (2º), 1975 (1º), 1978 (3º), 1981 (2º), 1983 (1º), 1985 (3º), 1987 (2º), 1989 (2º), 1991 (3º), 1993 (2º), 1997 (4º), 1999 (3º), 2001 (3º), 2003 (3º).

Medals: 16 (5 gold, 5 silver and 6 bronze)

Cameroun

It’s not properly a team of the elite of the african basketball. Three participations in 45 years of competition, that puts Cameroon in the bottom places. Its best place was in 1974 when Cameroon finshed at the fourth place in RCA.

Date of affiliation to FIBA: 1965

Ranking FIBA: No Points

Participations: 3 – 1972 (8º), 1974 (4º), 1991 (8º).

Medals: 0

[img]http://www.afrobasket2007.com/cache/bin/XPQe1GwXX1271GwWN7CvoNFZKU.jpg[/img]

Angola

Angola is the country who has won the African Championship for Men the most times, now known generically as “Afrobasket”, since its institution in 1962, in Cairo, even having less participations than the old “big names” of the modality, namely Egypt, Senegal and Ivory Coast. In 14 participations, beginning in 1980, in Rabat, Angola won eight championships, two of which precisely in Luanda, where the XXIV edition of “Afrobasket” occurs.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA
2sc945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 03:23 AM   #25
Durbansandshark

The stage is set in Luanda: Angola will face Cameroon for that one African ticket to Beijing on Saturday. Angola destroyed Cape Verde 93-60 in front of their racouous hometown fans at the Cidadela Gymnasium. Despite what the score may suggest Cape Verde weren't going to give Angola an opportunity to be mincemeat again. They gave their all even more so than when in group play they lost to Angola by 56 points. The loser of this Angola-Cameroon match and the third place winner of Egypt-Cape Verde will receive the two Africa spots for the Olympic Qualification Tournament.

Cameroon and Cape Verde are now officially rising African basketball powers with their performances. I could only imagine what could've happened if Joakim Noah suited up for Cameroon (his grandfather from his father Yannick's side is from Cameroom, remember).

Egypt hasn't been in the Olympic in basketball since Seoul 1988, the last time two African teams qualified (Central African Republic finished 10th and Egypt placed 12th).

Yes, Ebi Ere is playing for Nigeria at Afrobasket, as is Portland Trail Blazer Ime Udoka.

UPDATE: USA blasted the US Virgin Islands 123-59 last night in Las Vegas. Also the women will play on Sept 16 against the Opals in Trenton, New Jersey. Canada beats Venezuela 80-73.

In Canada The Score is broadcasting all of Team Canada's and Team USA's games in Las Vegas. www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archives/Au ... c6692.html

USA TV schedule: www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_pag ... tvschedule