TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > National Basketball League

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 06:50 AM   #26
s**tkicker
Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
Did this pop up on Hoops? Seems pretty crazy really... I know he wasn't one of our stars, but he's a solid player that has been with the team for a while, and chemistry should count for something (unless there's a lack of it and more to wanting to be released/happy to release him), especially when we don't have any other bigs signed...

Slightly concerning that JvG/Drewie seem happy to blow things up without any clear idea on what they seem to want to do... They let Moller go, apparently they put an offer in but Melbourne's was too good... Not sure if melbourne overpaid, or we lowballed, but that kid has some solid potential and I'm disappointed we lost a local kid to Mexico...

Truck's option wasn't taken up and there doesn't seem to be any word on him still getting signed (was hoping it was a budget/balance sheet sort of thing), Jules is understandable that they wouldn't want to take a risk on, considering his lingering injury concerns, rumours of not working hard enough in rehab and then previously soft on court reputation as well, but Truck missing is disappointing...

It's not like there is a super large pool of quality Aussie bigs waiting to suit up in the NBL that are that level of quality... Gazey didn't seem to use the bigs real well last season, I hope he's not discounting their value to team success and putting all his eggs into the backcourt...

I wonder if they're hoping that they can pick up Jonah Bolden if he doesn't get drafted, that would be an exciting pick up...
Maric will be back on a lower deal.
Garlepp was told there will be less minutes for him. He can stay if he wants but looks like he will get more play down south.

Moller was offered a deal by Brisbane that we matched then Melbourne blew out. Sucks coz I liked the kid.
__________________
Troll Alert.
s**tkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 10:41 AM   #27
Nerf Herder
Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s**tkicker View Post
Maric will be back on a lower deal.
Garlepp was told there will be less minutes for him. He can stay if he wants but looks like he will get more play down south.

Moller was offered a deal by Brisbane that we matched then Melbourne blew out. Sucks coz I liked the kid.
Would be a relief if Maric is re-signed... I expect that he wasn't really value for money last season, although some of that was Drewie not using him enough, even when he was playing well, in favour of fracking Powell...

Would be a curious situation if Garlepp does leave and head south, for us and them, as that would leave them with only one local spot left, if they intend to go with 3 imports again, with both Coenraad and Forman still to be re-signed..?

Definite shame about Moller, but hey, if you can get blow out Unitard cash and still don't have to play for DD, then I say go for it and good luck to you...

There was a Hoops rumour that there will be a college returnee signing announced in the coming week or so... I hope it's not Pineau...

I know he's going to go through the pre-draft process, but I wonder what our chances are of getting the 7' Hobbit in? I really have no idea on the comparisons between the NBL and Europe and what would be best for Humphries, but you'd think he'd get better minutes here even at 19 than he would overseas, especially if he doesn't have a dual passport?

I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of JvG's recruiting method of waiting for imports to come and then filling local spots, especially seeing as how long it took the Kings to finalise their team last season...
__________________
Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!
Nerf Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #28
s**tkicker
Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
Would be a relief if Maric is re-signed... I expect that he wasn't really value for money last season, although some of that was Drewie not using him enough, even when he was playing well, in favour of fracking Powell...

Would be a curious situation if Garlepp does leave and head south, for us and them, as that would leave them with only one local spot left, if they intend to go with 3 imports again, with both Coenraad and Forman still to be re-signed..?

Definite shame about Moller, but hey, if you can get blow out Unitard cash and still don't have to play for DD, then I say go for it and good luck to you...

There was a Hoops rumour that there will be a college returnee signing announced in the coming week or so... I hope it's not Pineau...

I know he's going to go through the pre-draft process, but I wonder what our chances are of getting the 7' Hobbit in? I really have no idea on the comparisons between the NBL and Europe and what would be best for Humphries, but you'd think he'd get better minutes here even at 19 than he would overseas, especially if he doesn't have a dual passport?

I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of JvG's recruiting method of waiting for imports to come and then filling local spots, especially seeing as how long it took the Kings to finalise their team last season...
I saw Humphries at Chicken FX in Caringbah the other day.
Not sure if the Kings will be a good fall back option with Europe surely looking at him, but he would be a great pick up.
__________________
Troll Alert.
s**tkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #29
Nerf Herder
Member
Default

Yeah, I guess it depends on if Gazey sold him the whole "we'll develop you so you can show off ready for next years draft" thing... If they want him...

I don't doubt that he's got the skills to compete in Europe and do well, but as an import, he might have to work his way up from a lower league, and it could be a trade off as to going somewhere alone, with funny languages, etc, compared to playing at home in front of family and friends after a couple of years away... He's still young, and you know how Hobbits are and actually leaving The Shire for too long... Ok, that's as long as I can spin anything positive lol...
__________________
Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!
Nerf Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #30
s**tkicker
Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
Yeah, I guess it depends on if Gazey sold him the whole "we'll develop you so you can show off ready for next years draft" thing... If they want him...

I don't doubt that he's got the skills to compete in Europe and do well, but as an import, he might have to work his way up from a lower league, and it could be a trade off as to going somewhere alone, with funny languages, etc, compared to playing at home in front of family and friends after a couple of years away... He's still young, and you know how Hobbits are and actually leaving The Shire for too long... Ok, that's as long as I can spin anything positive lol...
Agreed on the Europe leagues. He would find himself in a crap league not understanding language and culture.
His best shot would be NBL then D-League for a year if he goes undrafted.
__________________
Troll Alert.
s**tkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 11:19 AM   #31
Nerf Herder
Member
Default

Isaac can put off declaring for the draft if he doesn't get much pre-draft traction, can't he? (like what Jonah Bolden did?) I doubt his agent would let him go ahead with locking into this coming draft if he didn't have to and wasn't getting that much buzz...
__________________
Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!
Nerf Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #32
s**tkicker
Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
Isaac can put off declaring for the draft if he doesn't get much pre-draft traction, can't he? (like what Jonah Bolden did?) I doubt his agent would let him go ahead with locking into this coming draft if he didn't have to and wasn't getting that much buzz...
Im not sure how it works, it's not him anyway.
College recruit is Dane Pineau
__________________
Troll Alert.
s**tkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #33
Nerf Herder
Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s**tkicker View Post
Im not sure how it works, it's not him anyway.
College recruit is Dane Pineau
Yeah, lessens our chances of actually getting a good college recruit now... ah well...

Pineau isn't a surprise, but a curious choice... Seems pretty similar to Hill, but looks like he plays inside a bit more, is a bit more of a solid build (and lumbering by the look of his limited "highlights")

A 20pt, 10r, 3a, 4s, 2b first game from Jonah Bolden in the Serbian Superleague just highlighting that he won't be coming back either, although was a long shot dream even for my purple and gold blinders...

Possibly an interesting point of discussion could be that AussieHoopla blog post about Childress being keen to come back, but the feedback he's gotten from teams is that he might be too old...

At only 33 and not injured since he last played for us, I think he's still got it and still 10x better than any of our last seasons imports... Not needing to play 36mpg and carry the team would only be a positive...
__________________
Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!
Nerf Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #34
s**tkicker
Member
Default

Perry Ellis from Kansas has signed.
__________________
Troll Alert.
s**tkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #35
BallistiX
Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s**tkicker View Post
Perry Ellis from Kansas has signed.
Thinking the Kings might play him as an undersized 4.
BallistiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #36
FreeThrows
Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallistiX View Post
Thinking the Kings might play him as an undersized 4.
They already have Newley and Blanchfield at 3, but a logjam there didn't stop Gaze from recruiting Garrett Jackson last year, so who knows!
FreeThrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #37
Nerf Herder
Member
Default

They'd have to be playing him at the 4, surely... It's not like we have giant PFs in the NBL and his build and wingspan would be assets, it just all comes down to his work ethic, which I think from what I've read around the place, is a huge improvement on Whittington and Powell... Definitely hopeful with this signing, but we still need a proper PG and to continue filling out our front court...

I still have hope that Truck will re-sign, and the Kings have said they have put an offer in to him, but it seems he's done in Spain for a little while now and I assume would be free to sign another contract now, so either he doesn't want to come back and/or the Kings offer was too low... Truck wasn't a superstar last season but when used properly had a positive affect and was key to some wins & I doubt there are better local options out there...
__________________
Tool Herder: Special Projects Team Lead / Mayor of Twatland / Herder of Tools
The Kings are dead... LONG LIVE THE KINGS!
Nerf Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Design and logos copyright 2000 - 2010, Dek-Net Design