TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > Otherhoops

Notices

Old 11-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
Durbansandshark
Default For Phoenix Suns Fans...

I need to bring this up about former Suns legendary PG Kevin Johnson. Kevin Johnson, running for mayor of his hometown of Scarmento, California as a Democrat, had a 47-42 lead in the Democratic mayoral race against incumbant Heather Fargo. But because of the fact KJ didn't have a clear majority in his winning. A runoff has been decalred for the fall.

Dan Majerle is the head coach for the Phoenix Suns Summer Pro Basketball League team that features draftee Robin Lopez out fo Stanford.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
Da Houndawg #55
Now with 40% more vitriol

Send a message via AIM to Da Houndawg #55 Send a message via MSN to Da Houndawg #55
Default Re: For Phoenix Suns Fans...

If KJ were your typical mud-slinger I'd bring up Fargo's shady background, including the disappearance of Steve Buscemi and the mysterious wood-chipper which appears to be dripping tomato sauce...
Da Houndawg #55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 04:24 AM   #3
Durbansandshark

Been a little quiet here for a while with me being so incredibly busy. Anyway here's stuf that i'll delve into when I get more time soon:

Phoenix just signed Louis Admunson to a contract from the NBDL to shore up their frontline even more.

2008-09 Suns Dance lineup already announced

Boris Diaw goes to Senegal

Ryan Lopez becomes a Sun in the NBA Draft.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Durbansandshark

A fuller update is coming tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
Durbansandshark

When the Phoenix Suns drafted Ryan Lopez recently, it was more on the ideas that Shaq was going to be gone after his second year would be up and that frees up the Suns salary cap, was the best player available, and to groom Lopez for a more prominent role in the near future. Now, I think getting Brooke's twin is actually a good move for them for he doesn't really need to be a star (there already is enough star power built into this team) but to be a steady low-post defensive oriented presence under Terry Porter's system, something they need in the postseason against the NDCELE and San Antonio. Ryan isn't as talented as Brooke, which is why the latter was drafted higher as a lottery pick, but that's OK. What's wrong with just another team in the Western pack for now? There could be an element of surprise by the postseason.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
bucky

ROBIN The guys name is Robin Lopez. Way to drop the ball mate
bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Durbansandshark

Former Phoenix Suns guard Jay Humphries from the 80s will guide the new NBDL team the Reno Bighorns in the franchise's first season.
Visit the NBDL thread for more on that...
Old 07-10-2008, 04:45 AM   #8
Durbansandshark

Well, the Suns have just completed their little training camp in Tuscon, Steve Kerr's old University of Arizona stomping grounds. Everything there wrapped up with an intrasquad game Saturday morning at the McKale Center. Amare suffered an injury during his time in Tuscon.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #9
dvda

KJ should run a political ad with his epic dunk on hakeem saying can any of the other candidates do this?
He'd get my vote.
Old 30-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #10
Durbansandshark

Maybe he should--I can't think of any other way.

Tonight the Phoenix Suns in all their new-look for the season are in San Antonio to face those Rotten Ass Cheaters that have acted as a very disturbing and obscene barrier (and not a very good one, I must add) to their outright championship aspirations, something even the Now Deservedly Crumbling Evil Laker Empire never really (and very thankfully) did in recent years. Terry Porter makes his regular season debut tonight succeeding Mike D'Antoni, now at New York. Clearly the days of that uptempo "seven seconds or less" are now long gone as they conform to the pro-defense standards admired by Steve Kerr and Porter and time-honored by many championship contending teams. Steve Nash, Raja Bell, Grant Hill, and Shaq all got a lot of mileage even in themselves, so how much longer will they go high-octane? They can't now at their ages.

Reading all of the NBA previews, a good number of them like The Sporting News, SLAM, and Sports Illustrated have the Suns barely making the playoff field in the West. Garbage! I think they'll surprise people. A lot of these publications project a second-place finish in the Pacific under the NDCELE, a team many view as eventual NBA champs (PLEASE! ),if it weren't for some of the post-trade Shaq struggles, Phoenix would've avoided those Cheaters--no, they didn't cheat in the playoffs that time like they did in 2007--and may have faced New Orleans, a team that could upset them, and got a Number One seed. The West is loaded even more so now.

Guess what, Phoenix face the Rotten Ass Cheaters again on Christmas Day.
Old 14-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
Durbansandshark

I like where Phoenix is right now early in the season. They're currently 6-3 right now, but I would like to see them overtake the wrongly undefeated Now Deservedly Crumbling Evil Laker Empire in the Pacific Division. Yes, it's very early into the season, so there's still time. I had a chance to read Ebehoops' post about the Phoenix Suns' struggling for an identity. Admittedly, you really can't play the "seven seconds or less" and the halfcourt games together. Not with the pro-defense coach that is Terry Porter running the show. Too bad they lost to the Rockets last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlnwHWhv_q8
Have you seen this already? I've witnessed far worse melees involving the Suns than this one like in 1993 when Kevin Johnson and Doc Rivers went at it at halftime and Greg Anthony ran out on the court wearing street clothes, that Parker Lewis-like shirt, duking it out on KJ. Give it to the coaching staffs on both sides of the Rockets-Suns game ensuring it didn't got to that level. Matt Barnes was wrong to give a dirty shot to Rafer Alston and deserved to get suspended for that. Yes, I did see Nashie push a bit, Yao knocked McGrady to make sure he didn't go swinging, and Shaq was like the big strong giant that is pushing and shoving to get to Alston. Oddest thing of all was seeing Ron Artest on the bench, and staying there, not getting involved, because the coaches know what of course happened four years ago. Good thing they made sure the bench players stayed (though I still don't neccesarily agree with the rule if they were honestly simply peacemakers and keep order or diffuse). Look for fines and suspensions to be sure, especially on Barnes and Alston.

Only 96 more days until NBA All-Star Weekend in Phoenix.

Congrats to Shaq for making in into the Top 10 in the NBA's alltime scoring list.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #12
Durbansandshark

Belated congrats are in order to former Phoenix Suns point guard Kevin Johnson! About a month ago he was elected as the new mayor of of his hometown of Sacramento, California, home of the Kings and state capital of California with a population of 475,000 where unemployment is up to 7.4%. Plus, the city budget deficit is way up at beyond $58 million and morale is way, way down. Johnson defeated incumbent and fellow Democrat Heather Fargo in a runoff on November 4 by a 15-point margin. I didn't know this until I was reading from SI but during the campaign, KJ was hounded with allegations that he sexually molested a 16-year girl in 1995 and sexually misconducted (inappropriately touched) on another high school girl last year. Though he wasn't charged in either one. He paid the first with a $230,000 settlement. Apparently, it clearly didn't stop him from winning.

As a product of a black father and white mother like Obama, Johnson's philanthropic roots came from his influences of his white grandfather, as he talked about his community endeavours in his NBA days like his St. HOPE Academy. He has plans to revitilizing his old neighborhood he grew up in, Oak Park. Also like a certain President-elect, Johnson as Sac-Town's first black mayor successfully ushered in his campaign the theme of change, and his victory speech came an hour after Barack Obama's.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_exvF9TARos
Old 13-12-2008, 06:39 AM   #13
Durbansandshark

Interesting thoughts on the big Jason Richardson-Boris Diaw/Raja Bell trade coming up. Could this be like the Kevin Johnson/Mark West-Larry Nance/Mike Sanders trade in 1988?
Old 24-12-2008, 06:12 AM   #14
Durbansandshark

I was hoping to go in-depth but time has restricted me at this time. Meaning I'll have to delay my thoughts on that major trade. Right now, there's just a need to get more consistent.

For point guard depth, Phoenix signs Dee Brown today.

This just caught my eye: the Phoenix Suns Locker Room online won an Emmy recently.

Close game against Denver last night. But Terry Porter wasn't there because to attend the Portland jersey retirement ceremony. So Alvin Gentry ran the store in his absence.

On Xmas Day afternoon, the Suns play those Rotten Ass Cheaters, and you know what I think of them these days....
Old 11-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #15
Durbansandshark

Good win for Phoenix last night, but it's against Dallas, or Allas for there's no D in them, even with the defensive mastermind Rick Carlisle running the show. I'll delve more next week.

C'mon Phoenix, we got a Now Deservedly Crumbling Evil Laker Empire that's on top to overtake in the Pacific Division and stay kicked off of that to get home court advantage in the playoffs!
Old 27-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #16
Durbansandshark

Wow! What a win last night at the A against the Hawks thanks to a three from Leandro Barbosa to seal it for them!

Now, if they can get an additional win tonight on the last leg of the East Coast trip against a disappointing Washington team (only because of the injuries is why it's disappointing) to go above .500, I'll be happy.

Phoenix's NBA All-Star Weekend 2009 website can now be clinked on. What do you mates think of the 2009 NBA All-Star jerseys? I think it's a nice, clean look with a little nod to the southwestern US region (the West most notably) as opposed to what we had in recent years with those garish styles. Could use a little more those colo(u)rs, though. Phoenix can surely host events, especially now--and its third NBA All-Star gathering! Also visit Eastbay's NBA All-Star Weekend selection for the gear. But so far, it's disappointing me. Congrats to Amare for getting into the starting lineup. Shaq's doing well at this point, so I'd like to see him in as a backup by the coaches.
Old 19-02-2009, 05:46 AM   #17
Durbansandshark

Man, what an shakeup (I know it's been discussed here on these boards) and there's always something interesting involved like it was last year at this time. I hope to gather my thoughts on it all tomorrow if I can.
Old 17-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #18
Durbansandshark

(delayed because of the down boards...)

Reflections on this disappointing season for us Suns fans will come next week.
Old 14-05-2009, 06:54 AM   #19
Durbansandshark

Makes me and other fans very mad not to see the Phoenix Suns in the playoffs. They SHOULD be in there instead of the Now Deservedly Crumbling Evil Laker Empire and the Rotten Ass Cheaters right now and are more deserving than those two. Phoenix SHOULD be fighting against Houston, Denver, or Dallas to make their way to the NBA Finals. Enough about that.

Yesterday in a move that won't surprise anyone, Alvin Gentry is now the permanent head coach of the Phoenix Suns. Gentry, as you know, is the last link to the popular Mike D'Antoni years. So Kerr, who I'm questioning a few of his decisions as a GM, obviously realized his mistake in hiring Terry Porter (more next time). Now in this offseason with some final years of the contracts from Nash and Shaq, Gentry will need to stress the defense to his players or hire an defensive-oriented assistant to be competitive in the ultra-tough West. I can (faintly) hope the Suns could get lucky in the Lottery. By that, I mean getting a high lottery draft pick in the top six, not really a #1.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #20
Durbansandshark

No surprise the Suns didn't get a high draft pick in the Lottery pick.

It's stuff like watching the Now Deservedly Crumbling Evil Laker Empire in the NBA Finals that makes you wish the Phoenix Suns, a far better team, were in their place instead! >

Here's a little treat for you, since this is an Aussie-centric basketball site: a foursome of diehard Antipodean Phoenix Suns fans--three Aussies and one Kiwi--saved enough money and planning for 6 months to see their Suns in action from London to Toronto to Atlanta to New York to Boston to Washington and finally to Phoenix, seeing their office, meeting the players and management, and becoming mini-celebs in the process. Watching 30 hours of NBA basketball in the process. What a super time they had! If only the wins were more plentiful. Maybe if they could check their sister team, the Mercury, for they of course have some Aussie repping there since its inception. All four met on Planet Orange. I don't know if any of the four are actually posters on Ozhoops here. But if you are, please send a shout out.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDwTc_3pT4g
Old 04-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #21
Durbansandshark

Our Nashie signs a contract extension with the Suns that will essentially keep him a Phoenix Sun for the rest of his NBA career. More to come and others...
Old 06-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #22
Durbansandshark

My scheduling conflicts with work have prevented me from much about the Phoenix Suns for a while. The new season is fast approaching us and I will get with that and a look back at the disappointing previous season where they should've been in the playoffs.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #23
Durbansandshark

Wow, isn't it great to see the Phoenix Suns playing like they really should be playing to start the season surprising the league? It was even better to see them atop the Pacific Division over the much and eternally and deservedly hated Evil Laker Empire, as they should always be and deserved to be. That's not such the case right now thanks to New York and former Suns coach Mike D'Antoni becoming the first team this season to contain Phoenix to below 100 last night, costing the Suns first place. Let's all hope they regain it very soon and ultimately win that title.

For his efforts, Alvin Gentry deservedly earns NBA Western Conference Coach of the Month accolades.

Now, tonight they face former Sun Shaq tonight in Cleveland. And that's going to be tough.
Old 23-12-2009, 04:44 AM   #24
Durbansandshark

Now they're slumping. Cleveland gives the Suns their first home loss of the season last night.
Old 14-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #25
Durbansandshark

Congratulations to Steve Nash on being named CBCSports.ca's Canadian Athlete of the Decade! Much deserved!