TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > Otherhoops

Notices

Old 25-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #26
Durbansandshark

Some bad news for the Canadians: Andy Rautins, Syracuse Orangemen player and son of coach Leo (also attended Syracuse) will be out of the rest of the Tournament of the Americas because of his knee injury. Now the Canadians have to step things up. Canada did have a good showing against the US Virgin Islands though 93-83 tonight, so not all news was bleak for them.

Mediazone has hooked up with FIBA to provide games on-demand, aprticularly with the Tournament of the Americas. Due to territorial restrictions to the US and Canada (read: DON'T interfere with our TV rights here), it's not available to us here.

Cape Verde has just narrowly defeated traditional African basketball power Egypt 55-53 to deny the Egyptians not just thrid place but a chance to continue their Olympic run for the first time since 1988 through an Olympic qualification tournament. They came from behind at halftime to humble the North Africans. Third place is a remarkable achievement for Cape Verde, a nation with little in the way of basketball history, who will now wait who's is going to join them out of Africa as runner-up for Olympic qualifications in the gold medal match--very likely Cameroon. Because of a lack of pedigree in international basketball and who will they be up against in the draw, I'd be shocked if Cape Verde would be competitive there.

I want some Basketball New Zealand merchandise! Champions used to have some with NZ Breakers gear. But no more. BBNZ doesn't have some to show as of now...

It looks as though Toronto Raptor Andrea Bargnani will don the Azzurri in time for Eurobasket in Spain for Italy.

Greece may not have Antonis Fotsis for Eurobasket because of a broken finger.

Israel better watch out for Macedonia if it wants to make it to the Eurobasket finals. Should Macedonia beat Sweden Saturday, it can give Israelis a lot of problems in the final qualification stage.
Old 25-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #27
2sc945

Holy fuck, Cape Verde beat Egypt to grab an Olympic Qualification Tournament spot.

It was like the Guadeloupean soccer team who finished equal 3rd in this year's Gold Cup. The sports world is crazy this year.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA
2sc945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #28
rjd

[img]http://www.nba.com/media/ljames_3_400_070825.jpg[/img]
Old 26-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #29
2sc945

What a punishing dunk.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA
Old 26-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #30
Durbansandshark

Well, that's exactly how the Canadians feel throughout, not just about, their encounter with their southern neighbo(u)rs today in Las Vegas, rjd.

Back in Africa, the 2007 African Basketball Championship (nice fireball logo) is now in the history books, and Angola is STILL your African champions. Was it ever going to be any different? Once again, the Angolans, without any of their players currently playing in North America, show just how much organization, quality international experience, professionalism, training, and quality coaching along with some talent can do for an African nation over just talent. It could be said basketball is more popular there than soccer (like their national team the Black Antelopes or Black Panthers). They defeated rising power Cameroon 86-72 in front of a festive, packed, pro-Angola crowd of 8000 in Luanda's City Gymnasium; actually the celebratory mood was going on leading up to the game all over the capital city with activities agog with the rush to buy tickets and men, women, and children passionately talking about the team. Fans were decked in the colo(u)rs and draped with the Angoaln national flag. The gold-medal win gives Angola, which now joins China, Spain, Australia, and Iran, another berth to the Olympics from Africa, making Beijing its fifth consecutive one, while making its ninth African title out of the last ten (and fifth consecutive Afrobasket title). Joaquim Gomes is your 2007 African Tournament MVP. Cameroon now joins the surprising Cape Verde Islands to the Olympic Qualification Tournament as the African representatives next year. Do I think Angola will do some damage in Beijing? Depending on how they are drawn and who they will face in Beijing, the Angolans are capable of stealing a game or two, if what happened last year in Japan with Nigeria giving Germany all they can handle is an indicator with what they got. They may have an outside shot at the quaterfinals.

Televisa Publica dos Angola (TPA) broadcasted for Angola with South Africa's Supersport showing several games all over the continent with its Portuguese-language channel, Supersport Maximo, emphasized the Angolans and Mozambique.

Congratulations to head coach Alberto Carvalho and his team!

More of my African basketball thoughts will come in the coming week

Just when the Italians got Bargnani, they suffer the blow of losing Danillo Galanari to a knee injury he suffered in a warmup against Latvia and possibly captain Giacomo Galanda.

Ireland loses to Switzerland in their opening Eurobasket Division B game 86-58 with the Sefalosha brothers Chiacgo Bull Thabo and Kgomotso turining it into their own show in Tallaght, Ireland.

Eurobasket 2007 Qualifiers 8-25-2007
GROUP A
Bosnia-Herzegovina 70 Hungary 74
GROUP B
Macedonia 78 Sweden 73
GROUP C
Denmark 90 Ukraine 85
Belguim 83 Israel 74

Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, and Israel all advanced out of their group by being the preliminary group winners and into the next phase held in Spain.

What if Joakim Noah plakyed for his mother's nation. Sweden could use his star power.
Old 28-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #31
Mr bEn

Did anyone watch the Fiba World Wrap today? Reviewed the Asian Championships. I was particularly intrigued by the big bloke from Iran, quite a towering chap. Showed some game, and got me wondering if his name has ever been mentioned in larger circles? Anyone? Hamed EHADADI is the name.
Ozhoops Group Ranking - 30th
League - Ozhoops 1 - 8th
Mr bEn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2007, 05:50 PM   #32
2sc945

Hamed EHADADI is 218cm tall and is the best centre in Iran atm.

He is so dominant that 224cm giant Jaber Rouzbahani (ex-NBA hopeful) has been forced to sat on the bench for something like 35 minutes per match.

TFRENBAA
Old 31-08-2007, 05:12 AM   #33
Durbansandshark

We may have to start talking about him than Jaber.

Eurobasket Qualifiers 2007 are now in advancing stage with the aforementioned Macedonia, Israel, and Bosnia battling for the one qualification spot in Menorca, Spain. Right now, it looks as though Macedonia could be the fourth ex-Yugoslavia nation to be in Eurobasket 2007 with Croatia, Slovenia, and Serbia already there. FYR Macedonia, already sky-high following their defeat over the Tit Sokk-coached Estonia, beat Bosnia-Herzegovina by 10 with a 73-63 win yesterday in their third meeting together so far this year. Israel has yet to play though, and that will determine the course of the qualifications. Bosnia-Herzegovina and Israel are going at it right now.

On the other side of the qualification spectrum, the Euro teams that finished at the bottom of their respective groups now are fighting to stay at this stage and not get relegated to Division B. Sweden, Denmark, and Hungary are those teams--no surprise the Scandinavian teams of Sweden and Denmark are in this. FIBA Europe calls it Group B. Right now as of this writing, both Hungary and Sweden are unbeaten with Denmark in grave danger of demotion.
Hungary 101 Denmark 70
Sweden 66 Denmark 55

Down at Division B, Great Britain crushed The Netherlands 83-65, but it may come at a price with forward Robert Archibald re-injuring his ankle on a drive play and did not return. The Dutch are already reeling from a shock loss to Slovakia. Team GB now face easybeats Albania. Austria hammered Luxembourg 79-46. Slovakia beats Albania 93-63. Georgia's ambition to get into Division A took a serious and unexpected hit with an upset loss to Iceland 76-75 on a buzzer-beating three pointer. Now Georgia, trying to keep pace with Group C leader and undefeated Finland, will have to hope to be the best runner-up out of its group in the next phase. Tyrone Ellis gave Georgia 17 points. They already saw off Austria previously. More details on the Eurobasket to come soon...

Over in the Tournament of the Americas, classification is already underway. The top four teams in each group move into this with the top four finishers out of that progress into the semis. The US is a lock for that and will almost surely qualify for Beijing. Brazil suffered a tremendous blow to their Beijing prospects with a loss to Argentina, who assured of making it to the semis, last night 86-79 in OT. Canada is helping themselves with wins over Mexico, Venezuela, and Uruguay, but need a win over Puerto Rico tonight to assure it. Brazil plays Uruguay tonight. I'll get more in depth later.

Back to the FIBA license on NBA Live 08, in this blog from one of the game's producers, Nate, explains in detail why this year's FIBA features are as they are (and it confirms what I reasonably assumed).
http://blogs.ign.com/NBALive_08/2007/08/20/63493

I neglected the women in all of this, but I won't for long with the tournaments starting. To start things off, France has cut off the trio of Elodie Godin, Geraldine Robert, and Florence Lepron from the Les Bleues roster as it's now down to 13.

I want my FIBA Eurobasket 2003 and FIBA Road to Athens DVDs!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #34
2sc945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbansandshark
Over in the Tournament of the Americas, classification is already underway. The top four teams in each group move into this with the top four finishers out of that progress into the semis. The US is a lock for that and will almost surely qualify for Beijing. Brazil suffered a tremendous blow to their Beijing prospects with a loss to Argentina, who assured of making it to the semis, last night 86-79 in OT. Canada is helping themselves with wins over Mexico, Venezuela, and Uruguay, but need a win over Puerto Rico tonight to assure it. Brazil plays Uruguay tonight. I'll get more in depth later.
No play-off for fifth?

So that means Canada already grabbed the last Olympic Qualification Tournament spot? It is UNFAIR for Uruguay, Mexico and Venezuela! We got play-offs for 5th and 7th in last FIBA Americas Championship.

TFRENBAA
Old 01-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #35
boz_novocastrian
Send a message via MSN to boz_novocastrian

i am pretty sure it is only the top 2 teams from the americas that goes through automatically

So Far 2 Taranaki Players have made in to the NBL:
Jeremiah Trueman - Breakers
Dillon Boucher - Breakers

With one still playing in the league:

C'mon Taranaki we want some more from the region make it to the nbl
boz_novocastrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #36
Durbansandshark

So now it's the USA against Argentina for the Tournament of the Americas crown in Las Vegas. Both nations, regardless of the ultimate result, will automatically head to Beijing as the two Americas representatives. Puerto Rico (losers to the USA in the semis) and Brazil (losers to Argentina in the other semi) will now join Canada, the fifth-place finisher, as the Americas reps for the Olympic Qualification Tournament next year.

It does look unfair that Uruguay, Mexico, and Venezuela won't get to qualify more so on merit. But look at it this way: apart from Venezuela, what has Mexico and Uruguay accomplished at the international level not just the Americas over the last 30 years. Mexico hasn't made the Olympics since 1976 and has fallen fast internationaly since despite having Eduardo Najera and Horacio Llamas in the NBA. Uruguay haven't qualified since 1984--and likely made it only becuase Cuba boycotted and LA 84 needed an Americas replacement. Neither has made it to a World Championship in recent memory. So they regressed as everybody else, except Cuba and Colombia, improved.

I bought myself a copy of the 2007 FIBA Tournament of the Americas program on eBay!

As you probrably noticed already, Israel has won the 2007 Eurobasket qualifiers and earned the right to be pummeled by Greece, Russia, and Serbia in Group A later in Spain. I felt whoever was to win between Macedonia and Israel will make it out of that final group. I picked Israel, and not to brag, I was right largely because of the top-notch pro basketball league they've enjoyed over the years the national team players can tap into, as well as internationally with Maccabi Tel Aviv acting as an international power club comps in Euro play. More to come later.

Israel 92 Macedonia 87
Israel 67 Bosnia-Herzegovina 60

Over in the relegation Eurobasket tournament...

Hungary 75 Sweden 64

So Denmark gets demoted to FIBA Europe Division B going winless in this round.

Let me amend my pleas for Tall Black merchandise by adding the Tall Ferns.

Actually, Hungary stays on in Division A and hopes to qualify for Eurobasket 2009 in Poland. Sweden goes down to Division B with Denmark. So the Magyars are safeguarded. Pity for the Swedes, they made some significant progress in Eurobasket in recent years, especially hosting Eurobasket 2003.

As Eeeee may suggest, we may not want a basketball version of the Ashes. The Boomers are much more experienced internationally and have that pedigree than Great Britain with Aussies playing everywhere. But that could all change come 2012...

Once more FIBA and MediaZone announced their stretegic partnership in bringing both Eurobasket 2007 men's and women's games live and on-demand. I'll provide the link later.

Stephane Arigababu will return to suit up for Germany with an Olympic berth in sight
Old 02-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #37
boz_novocastrian

Lamas hasn't played nba level for ages i think about 5 seasons

Old 02-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #38
2sc945

Quote:
It does look unfair that Uruguay, Mexico, and Venezuela won't get to qualify more so on merit. But look at it this way: apart from Venezuela, what has Mexico and Uruguay accomplished at the international level not just the Americas over the last 30 years. Mexico hasn't made the Olympics since 1976 and has fallen fast internationaly since despite having Eduardo Najera and Horacio Llamas in the NBA. Uruguay haven't qualified since 1984--and likely made it only becuase Cuba boycotted and LA 84 needed an Americas replacement. Neither has made it to a World Championship in recent memory. So they regressed as everybody else, except Cuba and Colombia, improved.
I still think the three Latin American teams deserve another shot at Olympic Qualification Tournament spot. Two of them (Uruguay and Venezuela) only lost to Canada by 7 points earlier in the tournament and all of them can beat the Canadians on their day.

TFRENBAA
Old 02-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #39
boz_novocastrian

if that was the case, then which other confederation (pardon the football lingo) would have to give up a spot to them

Old 02-09-2007, 11:17 PM   #40
Poida
Send a message via MSN to Poida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sc945
Quote:
I still think the three Latin American teams deserve another shot at Olympic Qualification Tournament spot. Two of them (Uruguay and Venezuela) only lost to Canada by 7 points earlier in the tournament and all of them can beat the Canadians on their day.
Load of shit. Give me a full strength Canadian team, with Nash anyday
FASTER.STRONGER.SWOITER.POIDA.
Poida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:37 PM   #41
boz_novocastrian

totally agree poida

Old 02-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #42
Julian

I spit on Uruguay, as they did us in 2001.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #43
2sc945

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz_novocastrian
if that was the case, then which other confederation (pardon the football lingo) would have to give up a spot to them

Africa. A one-off game against Cape Verde and the winner qualifies for the Olympic Qualification Tournament.

TFRENBAA
Old 03-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #44
2sc945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poida
Load of shit. Give me a full strength Canadian team, with Nash anyday

What if Nash played for his motherland South Africa? They might overtake Cape Verde's spot in the Olympic Qualification Tournament.

TFRENBAA
Old 03-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #45
boz_novocastrian

who from africa has qualified or are they still to have their qualification series for the beijing olympics

Old 04-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #46
2sc945

Amazing. Cape Verdean men's soccer team ranks 15th in Africa with 434 FIFA ranking points (ahead of Algeria and Congo DR).

TFRENBAA
Old 06-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #47
Durbansandshark

I'll mention my thoughts about Eurobasket 2007 in Spain here. Here's a start: big story right now out of Eurobasket is that perrenial powerhouse Serbia is now out of contention for the Olympics, finshing winless and last in Group A. This means it will be absent from the Beijing Olympics. I can't recall an Olympics in my lifetime with Yugoslavia/Serbia-Montenegro/Serbia not taking part in men's basketball. Since Mexico City in 1968, it has made great strides in the development of basketball both domestically and internationally (despite the occasional politicial overtones, most infamously in 1995 in Athens). To see this proud Serbian Pride go down the drain ever since that buzzer basket from Manu Ginobili in the first game for SCG in Athens 2004 with its fortunes diminishing is unfortunate. Serbia is in badly need of leadership, and surely a lot of Serbs aren't taking this new bad development very kindly and thus are very angry over this disappointing result. This will be the first time since Melbourne 1956, when it wasn't yet a power, that Serbia will miss the Olympics in basketball.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #48
Goose

There's a first time for everything.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #49
Durbansandshark

What the hell is up with Germany over in Spain?
Old 17-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #50
jake11

The field for the repechage tournament is now known and below that is the current Qualified Teams for Beijing:

In Brackets is World Ranking.

Europe
Greece (seventh)
Germany (10th)
Croatia (21st)
Slovenia (19th)

Americas
Puerto Rico (12th)
Brazil (17th)
Canada (16th)

Africa
Cameroon (49th)