TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > Otherhoops

Notices

Old 30-06-2006, 05:02 AM   #1
Durbansandshark
Default CBA and USBL

I gave you the wacky ABA and the developments going in the NBDL. Now it's time that I gave you both the CBA and USBL minor basketball leagues that I seemingly neglected until now. So get ready, kiddies!

The only mention I gave to the CBA was of the transfer of four CBA franchises--the Dakota Wizards, Idaho Stampede, Sioux Falls Skyforce, and the expansion Colorado 14ERS, the current whereabouts of David Bliss and Matt Frieje, and the moving of the ABA's San Jose SkyRockets to the Continental Basketball Association. Since then, the CBA has expanded to replenish in the Upper Midwest/Great Plains/Rocky Mountain/Pacific Northwest area with teams already in the Great Lakes and New York State.All refernces to the defected teams are eliminated from the CBA site except for records.

The incoming teams are for next season:

Northern Nevada Blackjacks (to play in Reno, where the city formerly had the Reno Bighorns in the early 1980s)
Butte (MT) Daredevils
Great Falls (MT) Explorers (first CBA team based there in the state of Montana since the Montana Golden Nuggets, where George Karl got his professional coaching start)
Spokane (WA, team name TBD)
San Jose SkyRockets

These teams will join the Michigan Mayhem, Gary (IN) Steelheads, Rockford Lightning, Yakima Sun Kings, and Albany Patroons next season in a league that just completed its 60th season.

The Daredevils are owned by the same people behind the SkyRockets. www.sjskyrockets.com

Speaking of the Rockford Lightning, which started out in Lancaster, Pennsylvania as the Red Roses before becoming the Lightning and moving to Baltimore and then to Rockford, Illinois, they may not play in the 2006-07 season. Lightning head coach Rob Daleo convinced the CBA to extend the deadline for whether the team will have new owners from July 1 to July 16. No one has come forward about dates at the Rockford MetroCentre available for basketball or to buy the team. In CBA history no team that has been dormat for at least a season ever returned.
www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AI ... /106280048

The Albany Patroons, one of the league's most notable franchises of alltime, has been resurrected this past season and finished with a 28-28 record, third place in the East Division. Now the Patroons want to play in the USBL too, which isn't a problem since their seasons don't conflict with each other. Actually this incarnation of the Patroons in the USBL is the former Pennsylvania Valley Dawgs (too many damn basketball minor pro teams with dogs or dawgs in them!) that fell on hard economic times this year.

Oh yeah, the Yakima Sun Kings won the CBA title over the Gary Steelheads 2 games to 1.

The Patroons gave us a nice segue into the USBL. Teams play 30 game regular season games there. The Nebraska Cranes swooped into Dodge City, Kansas and defeated the heavily favo(u)red hometown Legend 100-92. Cranes' Alex Sanders was named MVP.

Eastern Division
Brooklyn Kings 18-12
Long Island Gulls (now Primetime) 16-14
Northeast Pennsylvannia Breakers 10-19
Pennsylvania Valley Dawgs 2-27

Western Division
Oklahoma Storm 22-8
Dodge City Legend 19-11
Nebraska Cranes 17-13
Kansas Cagerz 15-15

www.usbasket.com/cba/cba.asp
www.cbahoopsonline.com
www.usbasket.com/usb/usb.asp
www.usbl.com

This will do for now...

Last edited by Durbansandshark; 19-05-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Durbansandshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 08:23 AM   #2
Durbansandshark

Your favo(u)rite Uncle Durban has some more CBA and USBL news for you!

More defections from the ABA has occured. Turns out that the ABA teams that were mentioned as dead by me really aren't. Following the San Jose SkyRockets lead to the CBA are the Tim Hardaway-manned Florida Pit Bulls, the Gary Grant-owned and operated Southern California Legends--the runnersup to the Rochester RazorSharks, and the Indianapolis Alley Cats. Those three and the SkyRockets were among the strongest and best run teams in the ABA last season. With the CBA moving into the upper Great Plains/Rocky Mountain regions following the defection of several to the NBDL, the league needed to expand to other areas across the nation. All three teams are owned by the Trinity Sports and Entertainment Group. Two more teams will be announced soon.

No word yet on whether Tim Hardaway will return as Pit Bulls coach, but owner Demetrius Ford also announced he will stay on as GM as they will no longer call the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida home.

And speaking of the San Jose SkyRockets, they announced they are now moving to Minot, South Dakota for next season. Ironically, Minot was supposed to field an ABA team in 2004, which was to be named the Minot City Freeze then it became known as the Snowbears before moving to Salt Lake City becoming the Utah Snowbears that were owned, GMed, and coached by Issac Austin. Minot lost out due to a lack of a proper facility in time. The Minot SkyRockets will be the only team in the CBA based in North Dakota with the Fargo-Moorhead Beez folding in 2001 and the Dakota Wizards now in the NBDL. Minot once had the IBA's Magic City Snowbears in 1998-2001 that went into the CBA after the merger with the IBA prior folding. Looks like all of the teams mentioned had enough of the ABA fill and crazy goings on. With SoCal coming in, it already replaces a Cali presence with San Jose gone.

The Gary (IN) Steelheads will not take part for the 2006-07 CBA season as it looks for new owners in time for the 2007-08 season. There was a reoprted rumour that the Steelheads were going to move into the NBDL, but that might not happen. Jaren Jackson, its coach, was named CBA Coach of the Year

The expansionist Butte Daredevils and the Butte Civic Center were selected as the hosts for the 2007 CBA All-Star Classic that will feature events you would expect from the NBA version. Before the game, the long distance shootout and the slam dunk competition will act as entertainment. This is Montana's first time ever hosting the event.

Anthony Goldwire was named CBA Player of the Year.

www.cbahoopsonline.com
Old 18-08-2006, 06:20 AM   #3
Durbansandshark

Just last week, a new ABA team was officially announced as one the future two. This one is going to based in Atlanta. And it marks the first time since the longstanding and perrenial power the Savannah Spirit in 1988 with its standout Tico Cooper that a CBA team will be based in the state of Georgia. It will be known as...

...the Atlanta Krunk.

I more than realize that Atlanta is a very significant player in the hip hop world in many ways for many years with very good reason, bringing us Kriss Kross, Ludacris, and Lil' Jon. But Krunk? Yes, there was an ABA team in Charlotte that had the name. I need to see what the logo will look like.

Continuing the hip hop theme, you won't believe who is involved in this. Do any of you mates remember the C+C Music Factory around 15 years back ("Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)" and "Things That Make You Go Hmmm...")? Aside from the late Robert Cole and Dave Cliviles as producers, rapper Freedom Williams, who was part of the crew and later released an ill-fated solo album while performing a guest rap for New Kids On The Block's "Call It What You Want"as dance-oriented rapping fell out of favo(u)r, is part of the Krunk ownership group along with another rap artist and producer, Duane "Spyder" Hughes.

Atlanta already has two minor league basketball teams--the ABA's Atlanta Vision (with Dennis Scott) and the Gwinnett Gwizzlies in the SEBL to go along with the NBA Hawks. So now, there's a team that will compete for the hard-earned dollars in the Atlanta area. To be sure, the presentation for the Krunk will be hip hop-oriented by nature.

www.cbahoopsonline.com/news_detail.html?newsid=788
Old 24-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Durbansandshark

The Atlanta Krunk will play their home games at Morris Brown College's John H. Brown Gymnasium, which seats 7000. Actually, they are another defectee of the ABA like the San Jose SkyRockets and like them, moved from their original home. In this case Charlotte. A coach and GM will be named in the coming days with the CBA Draft looming on September 25 with training camps for Nov. 17.

The Michigan Mayhem and Rockford Lightning all joined the Gary Steelheads in not fielding teams for the upcoming 2006-07 sesason starting December 1. So for now, there's no Great Lakes area representation in the CBA. This also leaves the Yakima Sun Kings and Albany Patroons the only teams returning

Two more CBA expansion teams will be announced soon.

UPDATE 8-24-2006: The Atlanta Krunk has just announced a name change. From now on, they will be known as the Atlanta Krunk Wolverines in reference to and hono(u)r the fact and affiliation they are playing at Morris Brown College, a historically black college in Atlanta. Their athletic teams were known as the Wolverines before its athletic department was shut down due to a college financial crisis in 2003 (its basketball programs were Division I Independents promoted from Division II). The team will use the school's colo(u)rs of purple and white with the team housed in the dorms and its offices located in the John H. Brown Gymnasium. www.atlantakrunk.com (very little to see right now)

www.cbahoopsonline.com
Old 06-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
Durbansandshark

Can you imagine Lil' Jon at the Krunk Wolverine home games? May look a little weird and crazy, but...

A top pro basketball scout told USBasket.com that the top minor basketball leagues in North America are the NBDL and the CBA tied at the top with a Triple A farm team rating. The CBA was hurt by the defections of teams moving to the NBDL and was the best until then. But the NBA needs an outlet for the older players to get a look-in.

The USBL is Class AA, "but still the best spring/summer pro basketball league" to offer.

The ABA, WBL, and IBL are all Class A. The ABA "started off strong in its first season but went downhill since". The WBL has a couple of good teams that can challenge in the USBL. The IBL, though very young, has made great strides.

There are rumours that Lethbridge, Alberta; Calgary; Halifax; and Saskatchewan (likely Saskatoon) may be added for the CBA's Canadian expansion in 2007-08. The province of Alberta in the early 80s had the Alberta Dusters that was based in Lethbridge before moving to Las Vegas in 1982 to become the Las Vegas Silvers.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
BlowJoggs

Lil Jon MC'ing their home games would be fully tabouli siK I reckons.

"Aight, ATL, lemme see you do the A-town star, do the A-town star, now do the hustle, do the hustle, rock away, rock away, and cut."
when I shoot it ain't a board tap, ya know it's a slam
When I say ClintON, y'all say Utube
ClintON, UTUBE!, ClintON UTUBE!
BlowJoggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezar
Lil Jon MC'ing their home games would be fully tabouli siK I reckons.

"Aight, ATL, lemme see you do the A-town star, do the A-town star, now do the hustle, do the hustle, rock away, rock away, and cut."
Thats if he mc's with his radio edit... skeet skeet skeet skeet skeet. Grind that ass on a dick make it get thinner
Old 06-09-2006, 11:18 PM   #8
glockers

I appreciate the updates Durban, I don't know much about the USA minor leagues and it is great to get an idea of what is happening.
glockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:25 PM   #9
hurley509

How good are these leagues in comparisson to say europe or NBL
Old 08-09-2006, 05:11 AM   #10
Durbansandshark

I need to make a correction: The Montana Golden Nuggets wasn't the most recent CBA franchise the state of Montana had before the Great Falls Explorers (after Lewis and Clark) and Butte Daredevils (named for Evel Knievel). It was actually the Billings Volcanoes, a team that started out in Honolulu as the Hawaii Volcanoes in their only season there in 1979-80 before moving into the continental US to Billings for three seasons--1980-1983.

Rumours continue that Kansas City and Rochester could join the CBA in 2006-2007. It could very well be the ABA teams, respectively, the doormat Knights and the ABA champs RazorSharks. Both cities had CBA teams previously with Kansas City having the Sizzlers in 1985 (before moving to Topeka, Kansas in 1986) and Rochester with the Zeniths (1978-1983). For a time, the Knights was among the all-around stronger ABA teams and then came the RazorSharks. Rochester would make a great CBA fit. Even Buffalo may be looked into.

The Rockford Lightning could very well move to the USBL, over arena and financing issues.

The Northern Nevada Blackjacks announced former Nevada-Reno Wolfpack head coach Len Stevens co-coach. The other co-coach has yet to be named. No venue or colo(u)rs were announced yet. But there's no progress, so this Reno team may be dead.

The Gary Steelheads, for the sake of perspective, actually lasted longer in the CBA in its existence than any of the NBDL teams not just the then-current CBA roster (save for the defected Sioux Falls Skyforce and Yakima Sun Kings).

I read somewhere online that the Bozeman, MT franchise was out of CBA's consideration because the arena there turned into a cold-storage warehouse.

2006-2007 CBA Divisional alignment
East Division
Albany Patroons
Atlanta Krunk Wolverines
Florida Pit Bulls
Indiana Alley Cats
Rockford Lightning

West Division
Butte Daredevils
Great Falls Explorers
Milnot Skyrockets
SoCal Legends
Yakima Sun Kings

How does the CBA (and the NBDL for that matter) compare to the talent levels in the NBL and the top European basketball leagues, you ask hurley509? I'd certainly say it is rather comparable to them, almost about even with the slight edge to the CBA because of the more-prevalent athleticism there.

Here's a nice CBA history website entitled CBA Museum (not complete with its teams' histories but you can get interesting stories on the likes of the Anchorage Northern Knights, Puerto Rico Coquis (coached by Larry Brown's older brother Herb), and Hawaii Volcanoes: www.cbamuseum.com

Speaking of the USBL, the USBL has a committee that has an eye towards expansion with 15 prospective cities, particularly in the US Southeast, an area left behind by the NBDL. Costs of operation are cheaper in it than in the NBDL, so among the cities looking into joining is Roanoke, Virginia, a city that has just lost the NBDL's Dazzle thanks to low sponsorship and attendance. Gary's Steelheads could also possibly join as could another (this one proposed) team in the Chicagoland area--one that could play its home games at the new Sears Centre (primary tenants there are the NLL's Chicago Shamroxx, MISL's Chicago Storm, UHL's Chicago Hounds, and a Chicago UIF team) in Hoffmann Estates. Here's Roanoke: www.roanoke.com/sports/etc/wb/80257

Check out the USBL's press release regarding its expansion committee staff being added: www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3364369

The Northeast Pennsylvania Breakers may have apparently ceased operations-- www.nepabreakers.com . Across the Keystone State, a proposed Erie USBL will not play. The owner, Sam Borgia, decided not to go forward with that, after doing the math, which was supposed to called the Erie Bay Dawgs in a 7/26/06 goerie.com article.

In spite of its financial issues, the Kansas Cagerz, based in Salinas, Kansas, will return to the USBL next season.
Old 28-09-2006, 05:26 AM   #11
Durbansandshark

Some more and very interesting defections from the ABA to the CBA have happened. But before I begin, I must report on a couple former ABA teams that were accepted into the CBA.

The Florida Pit Bulls and the Southern California Legends WILL NOT play in the CBA this coming season due to issues stemming from venue availability. The Pit Bulls played in the ABA with the BankAtlantic Center serving as its home, and had to leave due to not to renew its contract with it. Plans were supposed to play at the BankUnited Arena on the University of Miami (FL) campus, but that was overturned at the last minute by a BankUnited Arena official last night. What's more it got a new name and logo. They are now the Miami Majesty. Really cool logo to check out!

The Southern California Legends were set to play at Cal-Lutheran University's Gilbert Sports Arena, but were informed that the arena will not be completed in time.

Both the Majesty and the Legends will play in the CBA 2007-08 season.

So in their places comes the Pittsburgh Xplosion, one of the more successful ABA teams, making it the first time since the Eastern Division Champs and CBA Finals runners-up Pittsburgh Piranhas in 1994-95 that the CBA will have a Pittsburgh representative. The Xplosion will still play at the Mellon Arena. Trinity Sports and Entertainment is seeking to own the team. Freddie Lewis, a legend in the original ABA, is the majority owner and general manager. I always thought Pittsburgh is a little too good for the ABA circus.

The newer teams:

Well, we now know what has become of the proposed Vancouver ABA team that was in the making for almost three years. It apparently moved to the CBA! Puget Sound Sports, it was announced today, has acquired three basketball franchises (the other two I'll get to later). Veteran coach Rick Turner will helm the first Vancouver pro basketball team while also being the Director of Basketball Operations since the departure of the Grizzlies in 2001. This is Canada's fourth team in the CBA's history following the Saskatchewan Hawks (2001-02), Toronto Tornados (1983-85), and the Alberta Dusters (1980-83). They are the Vancouver Dragons, which was the initial name fior the ABA team that was supposed to feature nothing but Chinese players to tap into the large Chinese population there, and will play in the 2006-07 season. I think they'll play either at the Pacific Coliseum or the nearby Agridome. The Dragons can provide a natural rivalry with the Sun Kings and the other teams coming in the Pacific Northwest. Given Vancouver's spotty and dismal history with pro basketball, I can hope this will eventually succeed and pave the way for NBA re-entry. www.vancouverdragons.com

Could this team replace the ABA's Salt Lake City Dream? Quite likely. It was also announced today that the Utah Eagles will play next season too with home games at the Salt Lake City Community College. Scott Fields, who made a career out of globetrotting head coaching clubs in various clubs, will be its first head coach.

The CBA also welcomes the two other Puget Sound Sports-owned teams. A team based in Bend, Oregon will play in 2007-08 season while Seattle (is this a fail-safe option if both the Supersonics and Storm leave Seattle for OKC?) will be welcomed in the 2008-09 season.

Chris Daleo gets named head coach of the Minot SkyRockets. The SkyRockets also selected with the first pick of the 2006 CBA Draft Dayshawn Wright out of Syracuse University.

Revised CBA divisional alignment
American (East) Division
Albany Patroons
Atlanta Krunk Wolverines
Indiana Alley Cats
Pittsburgh Xplosion
Rockford Lightning

National (West) Division
Butte Daredevils
Great Falls Explorers
Minot SkyRockets
Utah Eagles
Vancouver Dragons
Yakima Sun Kings

www.cbahoopsonline.com

UPDATE: The Vancouver Dragons will play at the 4500-seat Agridome.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:21 AM   #12
Durbansandshark

The CBA 2006-2007 season schedule can be found here. I need to alert two corrections that was since made. The Pittsburgh Xplosion will stay in Albany on December 2 instead of the Patroons playing in Pittsburgh then. February 9 is the date the Patroons will travel to Pittsburgh to face the Xplosion. www.cbahoopsonline.com/news_detail.html?newsid=803

Spokane is expected to be among the exapnsion CBA teams in 2007 along with Bend, Miami, and Southern California.

I think the Pittsburgh Xplosion will get greater exposure in a much higher league of talent than they would in the ABA.

It doesn't look like that Roanoke will get another minor pro basketball franchise for now after USBL reps were met with indifference there by local businessmen. www.usbasket.com/usb/usb.asp
Old 17-10-2006, 08:01 AM   #13
Durbansandshark

Well, we're going to get MORE CBA expansion in the coming years. According to the Our Sports Central and Wikipedia websites, to go along with the Miami Majesty, Southern California Legends, Seattle, Bend, and Spokane, the Los Angeles Aftershock will act as the latest ABA defectee to the CBA--so now we know where the Aftershock are going to play in. It will take a season off before joining in 2007. Not only that but Honolulu and Lethbridge, Alberta (as previously rumoured), two cities that formerly fielded CBA teams back in the early 80s will return to the league next season as the Hawaii Volcanoes (the original Volcanoes moved to Billings) and the Lethbridge Canadians, respectively.

The CBA website has a new look for the new season. On the top, you'll spot notable NBA coaches who cut their eye teeth in the league before being the NBA successes like Phil Jackson, George Karl, Flip Saunders, Paul Silas, Eric Musselman, Rick Carlisle, and Mo Cheeks. www.cbahoopsonline.com

Here the teams' websites (save for the Vancouver Dragons and Atlanta Krunk):
Utah Eagles: www.utaheagles.com
Albany Patroons: www.albanypats.com
Indianapolis Alley Cats: www.indyalleycats.com
Minot SkyRockets: www.minotskyrockets.com
Pittsburgh Xplosion: www.pittsburghxplosion.com
Butte Daredevils: www.buttedaredevils.com
Great Falls Explorers: www.greatfallsexplorers.com
Yakima Sun Kings: www.sunkings.com

Michael Tuckman's original plan was to have the Dragons play in the ABA, but apparently, the league wasn't much to his liking with finances and all of the other crazy shenanigans beleaguring the league. So he may dragged his feet with this. When the CBA came a-calling, Tuckerman strongly believed it was a much better league and could grant far better exposure for his club(s) than he would in the ABA, and I would very much agree with him. Not to mentionuse the CBA as a bargaining chip for access to use the PNE Agridome as its home. Don't be surprised he call out for those who formerly worked as part of the Vancouver Grizzlies staff to work for him. If that happens, great. Their experience will clearly come in handy in running and marketing a pro team coming from the NBA. Again, the Vancouver Dragons are part of his master plan to own three CBA teams all in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle and Bend, Oregon).

San Jose SkyRockets' ABA website is still up and running as I write this: www.sjskyrockets.com
Old 24-10-2006, 04:08 AM   #14
Durbansandshark

The Vancouver Dragons and the Atlanta Krunk Wolverines both asked and were granted permission to actually delay their admission into the CBA until next season by the league's Board of Directors, thus moving them to B status from A status. The Dragons wanted to sit out due to arena lease issues with the PNE Agridome, while Atlanta wants more time to deal with the organization of the franchise. Now the CBA season will consist of eight teams.
www.yakima-herald.com/page/dis/316072189632078

Consequently, the CBA 2006-2007 schedule had to revised.
www.cbahoopsonline.com/10-19-06.php
www.cbahoopsonline.com/schedule.php

The Utah Eagles announced former Utah Jazz (and briefly Starzz) coach Frank Layden as hono(u)rary Eagles coach. The Eagles also named former Jazz dancer Amy Toponce Moore as Eagles Dance Team Director. www.utaheagles.com www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?=3388703
Old 26-10-2006, 12:01 PM   #15
Durbansandshark

It's just as well that the Vancouver Dragons and the Atlanta Krunk Wolverines aren't playing this season--their websites never really got significant developments as of yet leading up to the season. The Dragons have yet to hire a lot of people.

Over to the USBL, it looks as though (but not yet official) the Gary Steelheads will make the jump from the CBA to the USBL with a new logo and will continue to play at the Genesis Center. Details will be forthcoming.

Incase you haven't noticed, but David Bliss, that disgraced coach of the Baylor Bears, had already resigned as Dakota Wizards coach after a dismal last season.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:42 AM   #16
Durbansandshark

The Dodge City Daily Globe reports that the Midwestern-based teams in the USBL will stay with the USBL. The Dodge City Legend, Oklahoma Strom, and the Kansas Cagerz will play in the USBL next season, thus staving off rumours of a defection to the WBA.

The Rockford Lightning from the CBA and a team set to play at Hoffman Estates, Illinois' Sears Centre may join them eventually.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:20 PM   #17
Durbansandshark

73 players with CBA ties made NBA Opening Day rosters including Matt Freije, Brian Chase, and Ronny Turiaf

www.cbahoopsonline.com/10-31-06.php
Old 17-11-2006, 06:40 AM   #18
Durbansandshark

West Virginia star Kevin Pittsnogle signs with, aptly enough, the Pittsburgh Xplosion
www.pittsburghxplosion.com/pr/pr110806.htm
Speaking of the Xplosion, they are looking at open tryouts for the dance teams, cheerleaders, and street teams. They are also optimistic about the prospect of a new arena in Pittsburgh that will serve as their future home with the Pittburgh Penguins.
Old 21-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #19
Durbansandshark

Tomorrow (US time) the Gary Steelheads will announce in their press conference at the Genesis Convention Center their move to the USBL for next season as they announce their new ownership and coach. Operation costs are a third of what it will be if it stayed in the CBA, but it could spend more in marketing and promotions thanks to an infusion of new investors and cash.

In other USBL news Dodge City Legend coach and GM Dale Osbourne joins the NBDL's Austin Toros as an assistant coach under Dennis Johnson.
www.usbasket.com/USB/USB.asp
Old 22-11-2006, 12:32 PM   #20
Durbansandshark

The Gary Steelheads made it official in their defection to the USBL...and with a new, better-looking logo with Cliff Levingston as their new coach in the process. www.steelheadshoops.com
Old 30-11-2006, 11:06 AM   #21
Durbansandshark

Things didn't truly work out basketball-wise for Dominican Republic-born Felipe Lopez since his 1994 Sports Illustrated college basketball preview cover donning a St. John's Red Storm jersey as a freshman following a stellar high school career, considering what was projected of him. Sure, he went to the NBA and played for Vancouver (RIP), Minnesota, Dallas, Orlando, and Washington, but he got squeezed out or may have been a not-really good NBA player. Now he's another CBA signee with the Albany Patroons. www.albanypats.com www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3399030

Daniel Artest, yes, Ron's little brother, is trying out for the Yakima Sun Kings.
www.kndo.com/Global/story.asp?S=5723536&nav=menu484_4_1

Again, the CBA season starts December 1
Old 06-12-2006, 05:14 AM   #22
Durbansandshark

The CBA scores

Friday, December 1
Albany Patroons 126 Pittsburgh Xplosion 101
Butte Daredevils 109 Indiana Alley Cats 108
Utah Eagles 135 Minot SkyRockets 120
Yakima Sun Kings 105 Great Falls Explorers 92

Saturday, December 2
Albany Patroons 129 Pittsburgh Xplosion 117
Yakima Sun Kings 93 Great Falls Explorers 89

Sunday, December 3
Minot SkyRockets 128 Indiana Alley Cats 110

Monday, December 4
Minot SkyRockets 97 Indiana Alley Cats 102

Now that Utah has gotten itself an expansion NBDL team, I can't help but wonder how is this going to affect the CBA's fledging Utah Eagles franchise. Orem is 45 miles south of Salt Lake City, but I feel that the Utah basketball scene is getting saturated with not just pro but college. Orem is home for Utah Valley St. Wolverines, and it's highly likely that the Utah NBDL team will use their facility (the minor league baseball team, the Orem Owlz, use its baseball facility)--all competing for those precious dollars. As it stands right now, Salt Lake City alone has the Jazz, the Eagles, and the upcoming Salt Lake City Dream in the ABA next season on the pro side with the University of Utah in college. SLC had the WNBA Starzz (since moved to San Antonio), the Utah Stars from the original ABA (Moses Malone's first pro team and Utah 's first big-time pro basketball franchise), and the ABA's Utah Snowbears (owned, GMed, and coached by Ike Austin were successful oncourt but dismal off it). This is not mentioning Weber St., Utah St., and Brigham Young along with the aforementioned Utah schools in DI basketball and the community colleges where the Eagles play. I know the overwhelmingly Mormon state of Utah loves basketball very much, and it fits very nicely with the Mormon huge emphasis of physical fitness--sound mind, sound body, sound spirit--and of the Protestant ethic of "muscular Christianity" from the 19th Century. So what's going to happen when the Dream hit the scene? Will the Eagles co-exist with the Dream and Utah NBDL? My guess is that one of the three will have to go at least--and I don't think it will be the NBDL team. There will be a cheaper alternative to the Jazz in the city, but either the Eagles merge with the Dream or buy them out. Or both Eagles and Dream bleed themselves to death and cease operations (and may have the NBDL team buy both and absorb them). Or one of the two, if not both, will move out of the state. We'll see.

Pittsburgh and the Xplosion will host the 2008 CBA All-Star Weekend at the Mellon Arena. Since the Xplosion moved up to the CBA, it has rightly garnered more attention from the NBA and in the Pittsburgh sports scene, and Pittsburgh pro basketball is booming despite the city's historical reluctance to it. GM Freddy Lewis certainly is excited.
www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsi ... 856=7rfi=6
www.post-gazette.com/pg/06339/743642-275.stm

The Indiana Alley Cats return to Anderson High with all of their home games scheduled there. Gonna cause scheduling conflicts with the ABA's Anderson Champions for dates. www.indyalleycats.com

The dormat Adirondack Wildcats in the USBL will re-emerge in Jackson, Mississippi next year with its new owner Carlos Moore. The inactive (since 2004) franchise was based in Glen Falls, NY, and briefly had Terrell Owens on the teams a few years ago. www.usbl.com
Old 13-12-2006, 05:42 AM   #23
Durbansandshark

I gave you the dead ABA teams list, now I'm going do the same for the CBA and the USBL. Here's the first batch--USBL will come in a later post. Note that I will not include teams that Here in the CBA's forerunner, the Eastern Basketball Association, which I will get to next year. These are the defunct teams dating from the CBA's start in 1978:

Anchorage Northern Knights
Puerto Rico Coquis
Maine Lumberjacks
Wyoming Wildcatters
Rochester Zeniths
Las Vegas/Albuquerque Silvers
Kansas City/Topeka Sizzlers
Toronto/Pensecola Tornados
Montana Golden Nuggets
Ohio Mixers
Atlantic City Hi Rollers
Sarasota/Florida Stingers
Cincinnati Slammers
Mexico Aztecas
Pittsburgh Piranhas
Hawaii/Billings Volcanoes (will be ressurected next season)
Flint Fuze
Flint Stones (never played)
Grand Rapids Mackers
Detroit/Savannah Spirits
Oklahoma City Cavalry
Tulsa Zone
Alberta Dusters
Wichita Falls Texans
Louisville/LaCrosse Catbirds
Bay St. Bombadiers
Wisconsin Flyers
Columbus Horizon
Santa Barbera Islanders
Birmingham Bandits
Reno Bighorns
San Jose/Bakersfield Jammers
San Diego Wildcards
Mississppi Jets
Charleston Gunners
Rapid City Thrillers
Omaha Racers
Tulsa Fast Breakers
Evansville Thunder

Tuesday, December 5

Great Falls Explorers 94 Albany Patroons 84
Butte Daredevils 113 Utah Eagles 103

Wednesday, December 6

Albany Patroons 106 Great Falls Explorers 99
Indiana Alley Cats 115 Pittsburgh Xplosion 114 (renewing the ABA rivalry)

Thursday, December 7

Minot SkyRockets 114 Utah Eagles 102
Yakima Sun Kings 98 Butte Daredevils 94

Friday, December 8

Albany Patroons 101 Yakima Sun Kings 96

Saturday, December 9

Minot SkyRockets 122 Pittsburgh Xplosion 97

Sunday, December 10

Yakima Sun Kings 110 Albany Patroons 107
Minot SkyRockets 124 Indiana Alley Cats 118

Monday, December 11

Indiana Alley Cats 110 Pittsburgh Xplosion 106
Old 20-12-2006, 05:42 AM   #24
Durbansandshark

Uh, due to the poor support from fans, the Nebraska Cranes will not return to the USBL to defend their 2006 title. They never averaged up to 1000 fans per home game as they had 800 for the first season but 500 the next.
www.kearneyhub.com/site/news.cfm?newsid ... 7565&rfi=6
Old 21-12-2006, 03:43 AM   #25
Durbansandshark

Tuesday, December 12
Yakima Sun Kings 107 Minot SkyRockets 98
Great Falls Exploeres 122 Utah Eagles 98

Wednesday, December 13
Albany Patroons 102 Butte Daredevils 85
Great Falls Explorers 113 Utah Eagles 90

Thursday, December 14
Butte Daredevils 104 Minot SkyRockets 108

Friday, December 15
Great Falls Explorers 131 Utah Eagles 121
Yakima Sun Kings 96 Indiana Alley Cats 94

Saturday, December 16
Utah Eagles 101 Great Falls Explorers 112

Sunday, December 17
Yakima Sun Kings 133 Indiana Alley Cats 104

Monday, December 18
Minot SkyRockets 100 Pittsburgh Xplosion 89
Utah Eagles 98 Yakima Sun Kings 90

Tuesday, December 19
Albany Patroons 141 Minot SkyRockets 107
Utah Eagles 106 Yakima Sun Kings 96

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette sports columnist Gene Collier humourously suggests that the Xplosion should Bao Xishun, the world's tallest living human at 7-9 and is actually taller than Yao Ming, to help boost their winless fortunes.
www.post-gazette.com/pg/06351/746781-150.stm
Still looking for their first victory www.post-gazette.com/pg/06353/747243-275.stm

More on the four straight wins the Great Falls Explorers had over the Utah Eagles. www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... /612170333

Yakima has some really bad woes. www.yakima-herald.com/page/dls/300482278985911

Felipe Lopez's return to basketball with the Albany Patroons (you can also read more Patroons articles to its left)
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story. ... 12/19/2006

Yakima Sun King's Galen Young was named CBA Player of the Week for December 1-10 for averaging nearly a triple double during the week. This and other info can be found at www.usbasket.com/cba/cba.asp