TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > National Basketball League

Notices

Old 19-11-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
Stumps
Fightin' around the world

Default Ladder

So here we are several hours after the Sydney-Perth game, and neither the NBL website nor the NBL app has updated the ladder - I had to manually add up [the losing team]'s losses to check whether the results had been reflected.

Meanwhile, the other sporting competition I follow (the A-League) not only has its ladder updated the second full-time blows on a game, but it is even able to maintain a "live" ladder during matches to show what the ladder will look like if the final result matches the current score.

There really isn't much point having a ladder on your competition's website if you have to wait until the next day or 9 am Monday or whenever it is for it to be updated (and of course, there's not even a note telling you when the last update was, so you might have to calculate the currency yourself as I did) - third party news sites and betting sites have more up-to-date ladders!

There are lots of good things about this NBL season, but unfortunately this extremely simple matter is not one of them.
Old 19-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
GordonG

Right up there with not being able to read the right hand side of the box score on Firefox...
Old 20-11-2016, 01:59 AM   #3
koberulz
Send a message via MSN to koberulz

The website as a whole is an absolute mess. There's a WordPress "Sample Page" in the store, which only stocks one item. The menu button is invisible and inaccessible on mobile, making the website literally impossible to use.

I was looking at a box score in the app the other day, and players had things like no defensive rebounds and three offensive rebounds for a total of one rebound. Or they were shooting '5' from the free-throw line, and had 78% assists.
koberulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
GordonG

This site updates the ladder almost instantly:

http://www.flashscore.com.au/basketb...nbl/standings/

Hope that helps...

G
Old 22-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
Wild 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumps View Post

Meanwhile, the other sporting competition I follow (the A-League) not only has its ladder updated the second full-time blows on a game, but it is even able to maintain a "live" ladder during matches to show what the ladder will look like if the final result matches the current score.

There are lots of good things about this NBL season, but unfortunately this extremely simple matter is not one of them.
Lets face it though, there's a good chance the final result can be the score at half time in A-League haha I watched a few games earlier this season, and if you get upset at any kind of flopping at times in the NBL, there is no way in hell one could tolerate what goes on in A-League. Absolutely laughable the antics players get up to when hit.

Do agree though that the NBL ladder needs updating as games finish.

KingJamesXXIII
NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam
Wild 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
Wallitron

Send a message via AIM to Wallitron Send a message via MSN to Wallitron Send a message via Yahoo to Wallitron

We all know that if Frank Lowy happened to like basketball more than football, the situation would be reversed. The rich uncle business model very rarely works, and has been devastating for the NBL. For that reason, I'm not going to sit here and pretend that the A League is something to be admired, or a model to be copied. Instead, I'm just going to continue to hate Frank Lowy for liking football more than basketball.

Just to make you even more jealous, the NBA League pass game matchup shows you the team record before that particular game is played. So, if you are 3 games behind, no spoilers.
Wallitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #7
Nerf Herder

It's not about the game itself though, more about the features that they provide... It's not even going out of their way to provide innovative options, just BASIC usability and common sense...

The ladder should be updated immediately... They've got their social media people tweeting about the game, it shouldn't be hard to input some values into whatever system they've got that outputs the ladder... If it's NOT set up properly and they have to do manual values, then that's just piss poor development... They had to rush to get this site out initially when LK took over, (even though it still took at least two weeks and that is PLENTY of time to do it properly, especially in Wordpress) but that was how long ago? No excuses to have a shit website now, especially with so much downtime after the last season finished...

I noticed the same as koberulz the other day and there is no mobile nav button so I couldn't access anything on my phone... This is such a gigantic ballsup that it's beyond unprofessional...

Looking at their app as well, they have the list of teams, there's no discernible order to them, not to mention the team rosters, not the right pictures, some missing their playing numbers... They seem to have fixed the boxscore alignment on android, but that was happening for a long time and should have been picked up on any form of testing...

The stupidity of showing live scores of games in progress is beyond hopeless and NOT hard to provide alternates, as already discussed re: NBA league pass... Otherwise just bloody common sense...

As a developer that knows how easy it is to do these little things, it's exceptionally frustrating to see things continually get screwed up...
Old 24-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
Wallitron

Send a message via AIM to Wallitron Send a message via MSN to Wallitron Send a message via Yahoo to Wallitron

It's not about difficulty, it's about money. Go and ask a plumber how much it costs to dig an 5 metre trench, 30cm deep. Probably in the region of $800? Nothing is simpler than digging a hole. You take a shovel, and you move dirt from one spot, and put it in another. How could anyone get this wrong? Why aren't they doing it? Perhaps because they don't have $800, or own a shovel?

We have all these high paid, talented staff doing all these fancy things, and yet none of them can pick up a shovel and dig a hole?

This is the sort of thing that happens when you operate on a shoe string. You budget for all the larger line items, but fail to factor contingency for things you miss.
Wallitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
Stumps
Fightin' around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild 1 View Post
Lets face it though, there's a good chance the final result can be the score at half time in A-League haha I watched a few games earlier this season, and if you get upset at any kind of flopping at times in the NBL, there is no way in hell one could tolerate what goes on in A-League. Absolutely laughable the antics players get up to when hit.
I suspect you must have been watching a Perth Glory game then, because they are pretty much the only A-League club that regularly engages in that stereotype of world football - the rest of the Australian league is refreshingly free of it (though you wouldn't know if you only listened to the scared ranting of the other "footy" codes and their media allies).