TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > National Basketball League

Notices

Old 07-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
BellBivDevoe
Default The new NBL.TV 2016/17

In the interest of getting more discussion happening, this is a good topic to discuss.

Its very rare that the NBL does something this good.

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/nbl-anywhere-time/

Below is my understanding in point form.

- Members of clubs will have access to "every 2016/17 season game live, fans can also enjoy hundreds of classic NBL games on demand via the NBL TV platform."

- Available platforms are "mobile to tablet, desktop and TV as well as having the ability to push content to large screens". Does this mean ChromeCast support?

- There will be significant extra content whereby "All Access Pass subscribers will also be able to view, on demand, hundreds of NBL Classic games dating back to 1979."

- This one is huge. "Fans of a particular club who are not full season ticket holders will able to watch their nominated team at home and on the road for free." The free service to watch your team home and away FREE is just incredible.

- This one is even Huger. "The retail price for All Access NBL TV is $5 per month, which entitles the users to all content, live and on-demand." Subscription is $5 / month. Thats $30 for the season including playoffs! I paid $89 x 3 years for Perform Media to serve up the excrement that was NBL.TV v1.0

This plus the increase in talent makes this a massive season. Hope many new Hoops fans jump on board.

I'm certainly going to push this to casual hoops friends or NBA only friends.
BellBivDevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #2
Nerf Herder

Another article from The Age which probably goes into a bit more depth...

some key things being putting some "heavy investment" into it, including technical and support as well as paying for the production themselves...

Being playable on appleTV and chromecast will be great and really help the visibility...

Lots of stuff to get excited about for this coming season!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
Ashman25

I am really surprised that Fox is going a long with this, Last year i only kept Foxtel connected over the summer months becase the NBL was on. This year I am now considering canning Foxtel in favour of being able to stream the games.

Last season it seemed Foxtel 'produced' the games and the NBL just paid (some or all) for it. But the info coming out suggests that the NBL will be producing the games and foxtel will just be re-broadcasting it. Essentially free for Foxtel so maybe thats the reason they are going along with the digital strategy.
Ashman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
Nerf Herder

I've already dropped FoxSports from my Foxtel package, which we only really keep because they wifey likes all those Lifestyle shows...

I almost feel bad not paying for this NBL tv service if it's anywhere close to being good...
Old 08-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
Wild 1

Kestleman is certainly walking the walk. He was slated to be in control of the league for 3 years wasn't he? Its the old spending money to make money approach which we haven't really had before. Kestlemans investment power and business acumen is going to make things interesting. Its an exciting time to see how high the league can climb on the casual sports fans viewing radar.

I was about to get Foxtel installed over the next 2 weeks. I still may just for the start of the season and see how NBL TV goes, but if NBL TV works well, Ill drop Fox after the first month, and perhaps they'll try and offer me a cheaper rate, which Ill consider given they will have a bit of NBA also haha

But how can you not be excited about this season. Arguably the biggest in our history? Now they just need to make sure the refs don't f it up haha

KingJamesXXIII
NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam
Wild 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
koberulz
Send a message via MSN to koberulz

Kestleman isn't leaving the NBL after three years, there was just a clause in the contract saying the club owners can, if they want, take back the league in three years if he doesn't turn a profit.

Which he had to put in there to get them to give up that power, it's nothing to do with this only being a short term project for him.
koberulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #7
meg
really hot chix

If this trial Challenge broadcast is anything to go by, it looks good! Smooth so far, and excellent quality.
Old 23-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #8
koberulz

Was absolutely awful for me and a few other people, including not working at all on Android devices early in the day.
Old 23-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #9
GordonG

Using it on a PC, buffered a couple of times, went pixellated fairly regularly but overall not too bad. 3 x crap games, though...
Old 23-09-2016, 11:48 PM   #10
koberulz

Once I switched to using the PS4's web browser, it was almost flawless.

Started in Firefox and got two seconds of video for every 30-40 seconds of buffering, frequent total dropouts requiring the page to be refreshed.

Switched to Chrome, two seconds of video for every 20-30 seconds of buffering, no dropouts.

Switched back to Firefox, worked great for a while, then went to shit again.

Switched to the PS4, which I'd seen some people say solved their issues, and it looked fantastic.

I'd say it's completely unrelated to NBL TV though.
Old 24-09-2016, 01:22 AM   #11
BellBivDevoe

I used PC from the NBL site.

It was shit.

I got 20 seconds of clear footage, then 30 seconds of buffering then clear again.... Then content not available error necessitating a full refresh of Page. This was at work.

This was with both IE11 and Chrome.

I also registered with an email, a team preference and no password.

All I need is to create eight emails. To get access to all games free. Well... Four or five. But happy to pay $30 for the season nonetheless provided the service works at home.
Old 24-09-2016, 01:27 AM   #12
BellBivDevoe

There is a new offer for Telstra customers. Free Subscription.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/...-s/ba-p/609997

Props to the NBL for maximising the Telstra partnership.
Old 24-09-2016, 03:07 AM   #13
koberulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBivDevoe View Post
I also registered with an email, a team preference and no password.

All I need is to create eight emails. To get access to all games free. Well... Four or five.
Uh...what?

Quote:
But happy to pay $30 for the season nonetheless provided the service works at home.
This isn't NBL TV.
Old 24-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #14
BellBivDevoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
Uh...what?

This isn't NBL TV.
You are right, sorry, I got them mixed up.
Old 24-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #15
miracle.touch

Quote:

Nice pickup... I found this in there, confirming that NBL Live will be available via the Telstra TV devices.

Quote:
The NBL Live App is also part of Telstra TVs offering, so anyone with a Telstra TV can view NBL Live content.
miracle.touch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #16
koberulz

It's supposed to launch today, but it's 4.30pm in Melbourne already and the league hasn't posted anywhere on social media at all.

Two weeks before the start of the season and the day after the pre-season tournament, that's a bit odd.
Old 27-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #17
BellBivDevoe

Given the Telstra announcement one would hope that the NBL would front up and be ready.
Old 30-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #18
shonky

Quote:

So is this link still working for anybody else?
shonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:37 AM   #19
Stumps
Fightin' around the world

I am now happily watching Game 5 of the Sydney vs West Sydney Grand Final series having signed up using my free access through Telstra mobile.

*fast forwards to final 3 minutes*
Old 01-10-2016, 12:56 AM   #20
Stumps

"Right now, Wheeler!"

*chills*
Old 01-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #21
koberulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumps View Post
I am now happily watching Game 5 of the Sydney vs West Sydney Grand Final series having signed up using my free access through Telstra mobile.

*fast forwards to final 3 minutes*
On what? The website took my money yesterday morning and then wouldn't log me in, the iOS app updated but still wanted and old NBL Live account to watch classic games and wouldn't let others sign up. The Android update just came through this morning and that finally works, although not sure if it's possible to sign up.

The website still won't let me log in.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:38 PM   #22
Stumps

Registered through browser, signed in on iOS app after updating to latest version of app (prior to update, wouldn't accept login).
Old 02-10-2016, 01:11 AM   #23
mammes

Click settings on the app... Bottom right and login through there. Should have no issues after that.
mammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #24
koberulz

Yeah, by yesterday afternoon it was working everywhere other than the iOS app, I think, which was the only place it was working prior.

Got it working on my laptop, plugged into my TV, good to go. Except the quality is absolutely awful. The 1994 Bullets-Devils game is missing at least every second frame, everything from 2004-2008 is squashed from 16:9 to 4:3 and then pillarboxed back to 16:9, and compression on everything is abysmal.

Some classic games are as high as 1280x720 for no discernible reason, but most come in at lower than SD. Portions of the 1979 grand final are still interlaced.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #25
BellBivDevoe

Is there any Chromecast support?

Also has anyone had luck getting a login by virtue of being a member of a club?