TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > National Basketball League

Notices

Old 09-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
PyroCross
Default NZ Breakers 2016/17

Pledger's returning on a 3-year deal (after the Bullets pursued him). If he doesn't incur another injury between now and next season, maaybe he'll be able to play a consistent 25 minutes a game and be the two-way player Breakers fans know.

Likely that Cedric Jackson and Tai Wesley will return and Shea Ili will get the last spot (given he played as the backup PG in the playoffs).

Hearing rumours Kirk Penney's heading back as well - the one player that was the difference in the championship was a veteran guard off the bench. Rhys Carter would've been super-handy. KP fills the bill.

Also intrigued if Cedric Jackson will ever get around to naturalising.

Likely roster then:
Pledger/Import*
Vukona/Wesley
Abercrombie/Te Rangi?
Webster/Penney or Veteran
Jackson*/Ili
PyroCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
2sc945
Lightbulb

My picks:

Pledger/Loe
Import*/Vukona/Wesley
Abercrombie/Import*
Webster/Penney
Jackson*/Kenny

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA
2sc945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #3
DDFan
Question

Hey Pyro &/or Softy, great that the Breakeres are locking in their core players & Penney returning, but any news on your coaching team?
Old 12-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
PyroCross

Coaches are all from the Breakers environment.

Paul Henare's the head coach (current Tall Blacks coach), Judd Flavell's the lead assistant (coaching Southland Sharks in the NZNBL) and Mike Fitchett is the academy coach/assistant (coaching NZ U18s).

This all pegs down to Jackson returning. After what I've read, I wonder if Jackson was an off-court issue, but the value he brings to the team has to outweigh anything else. We need more extroverted, chatty loud mouths in the locker room (Kiwis are too quiet and nonchalant in principle).

My hope for the team:
Pledger/Jackson*
Vukona/Wesley
Abercrombie/Prewster
Webster/Penney
Jackson or Import*/Ili

I'm a big fan of Prewster as a 3/D guy who knows his role. As much as Te Rangi should be kept with, he's been the 10th man for quite some time and hasn't improved much on the court. His 3pt jumper especially looks beyond inconsistent.

I doubt we'll have three imports with the number of Kiwis on the roster. As much as I like Rob Loe, it would be him or Wesley for me and Tai's established at the Breakers now.

EDIT: Just read Marc Hinton's article on this - http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketb...s-availability

His thoughts - unlikely the Breakers will break the bank for Ced Jackson (which may mean he jumps to Melb United). Shea Ili and Finn Delany (wing from Nelson) fill the 10th/11th man roles. Three imports in play (but unlikely given NZ's budgets).

Pledger/???
Vukona/Wesley
Abercrombie/???/Delany
Webster/Penney
???/Ili

Last edited by PyroCross; 12-04-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:43 PM   #5
jjj

As much as losing Jackson will be a blow. I have not been a fan this season. His attitude sucked and I was starting to think he had reached his peak. I would expect him to have a good season at United but not a great one, and it is time for the Breakers to move on
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
PyroCross

Finding an import PG is do-able, and the chances of finding a MVP-caliber player are slim (but is the equivalent of finding a new import in general). Its just that the Breakers shouldn't be going after the first-year college pro in doing so.

With Townsville out - hope the Breakers go after Leon Henry over Te Rangi at the backup 3 spot. Would provide more value, especially as a potential stretch 4.
Old 28-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #7
2sc945
Arrow

Possible Breakers Squad for 2016/17 NBL:

C: Import* / Pledger
PF: Vukona / Wesley / Delany
SF: Import* / Abercrombie
SG: Webster / Penney
PG: Import* / Ili

Very strong team indeed. On paper, even the 2nd unit on the bench is looking as strong as a NBL starting team.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA
2sc945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #8
PyroCross

In a world where there was an unlimited salary cap, that could be possible.

But its not.

I think long-term, the Breakers will roll-out a PG duo of Tai Webster and Shea Ili, and that'll be quite exciting - 40 minutes of athleticism. Delany is the Te Rangi-esque prospect, and hopefully he improves his game over the next few years. NZ has too many fringe stretch 3/4s though.

Someone's mentioned that Webster may be starting at the 1 next season, and that the Breakers will start 5 Kiwis (with 2 imports on the bench). I think we do need an import PG who will play minutes in a distributing/defensive role. Was looking through the crop of college seniors that won't make the pros... Could the Breakers sign Fred van Vleet (Wichita State) or heck Ryan Arcidiacono (Villanova)? Doubt it but I'll dream big.

Tai Wesley's most likely gone - hearing rumours that Wesley/Vukona can't co-exist and that Wesley wants more money than what the Breakers would offer. I hope we go after Rob Loe for the back-up 4 spot (also not great defensively but provides rare spacing the Breakers haven't seen since Forman/Ronaldson days), and look to re-sign Charles Jackson for some physicality/defense at the 5.

Pledger/Jackson*?
Vukona/Loe?
Abercrombie/Prewster or Henry?/Delany
Webster/Penney
Import*/Ili
Old 01-05-2016, 09:36 PM   #9
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroCross View Post
. Could the Breakers sign Fred van Vleet (Wichita State) or heck Ryan Arcidiacono (Villanova)? Doubt it but I'll dream big.
Gotta say those were the two players who I most wanted to see the in the NBL, after seeing them a few times this season. They seemed to be the two best guys who probably would miss an NBA gig.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #10
FreeThrows

With the signings so far, it looks like this:

Import*/Ili
Webster/Penney
Abercrombie/Penney/Delaney
Vukona/Delaney
Import*/Pledger
This makes it look to me like the big gaps are at 1 and 5. Holt and Starks are still available of last year's crop (did I hear someone snigger "Marcus Thornton"?) as are Charles Jackson, Ibekwe and Samhan to fill the centre position.

That would allow a further two positions to fill between a third import and/or one or two locals. It seems definite that Wesley is not coming back, so a backup big seems important, and another combo guard would fit the bill. Corey Maynard, perhaps?
FreeThrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #11
meg
really hot chix

Well this is a quiet thread. Breakers sign John Stockton's son.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketba...7e23a8dfe9d90d
Old 14-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #12
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg View Post
Well this is a quiet thread. Breakers sign John Stockton's son.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketba...7e23a8dfe9d90d
think he might be too small to be an impact player.