TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > National Basketball League

Notices

Old 02-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #26
Wild 1

Liam Santamaria seems to think Jawai may be signed..

KingJamesXXIII
NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam
Wild 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #27
miracle.touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild 1 View Post
Liam Santamaria seems to think Jawai may be signed..
That's certainly what I've been hearing, but I'll wait for an official announcement before I lock it in.
miracle.touch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:22 AM   #28
miracle.touch

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/l...915c092141ef71
Old 03-06-2016, 07:38 AM   #29
miracle.touch

http://www.taipans.com/news/club-new...oming-taipans/
Old 29-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #30
FreeThrows
Default Farewell, Trigger

The Cairns Taipans have cut Cameron Tragardh from the final year of his contract. http://www.taipans.com/featured-news...eron-tragardh/

I've been vocal in my opinion that the Snakes lack youth and athleticism in the 4 and 5 spots (okay, it's hardly a secret!) and they need to get some better perimeter defence in those spots. I doubt Matt Burston will be retained, with those thoughts in mind, so they're probably looking at an import or a young Aussie.

These are the uncontracted players who have filled a starting 4 or 5 spot in the last year or two:
Ikene Ibekwe*
Matt Burston
Charles Jackson*
Omar Samhan*
Hakeem Warwick*
Mickell Gladness*
Any of the imports could be looked at, although not all offer the defensive mindset I think Fearne will be after. Of those, I think Ibekwe would be the best fit for Cairns. Or they could go small with someone like Lucas Walker. He's still unsigned, isn't he?

Is there anyone else on the radar? The Snakes must have someone in mind. Perhaps it will be a rookie pro; that seems to be Fearne's modus operandi.
FreeThrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #31
BellBivDevoe

This is quite shocking, he is at least serviceable.

His mid-raange seems to be a bit hit and miss these days but still a decent post scorer, albeit not the same calibre as when he left Wollongong.

As a community owned model, he can't have been paid that much to be able to be paid out then go look for a new recruit. Maybe they found a good match for the team mid-tier salary?
BellBivDevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #32
miracle.touch

I'm a little shocked. I'd rather have kept him & let Loughton go. At least Trigger knows what the paint looks like.
Old 30-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #33
FreeThrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by miracle.touch View Post
I'm a little shocked. I'd rather have kept him & let Loughton go. At least Trigger knows what the paint looks like.
Loughton still has two years on his contract, and he's a better outside scorer and defender than Trig. It's a real shame, because Trigger's still a good inside player and he's a fantastic bloke.

It may be tough for him (and Burston, who I don't think will be back in Orange this season) to find a gig this year, although Adelaide, Brisbane, Illawarra (possibly), Melbourne, Perth and Sydney (possibly) all have big man spots available on their rosters. That's not to say that either Trigger or Burston are the right fit for any of those situations.

I hope the Snakes have someone in mind. I would tend to think they must be pretty close to a deal with someone to release Trigger like that.
Old 30-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #34
FreeThrows

There's also this: 36ers have passed on Lucas Walker.

Could Fearne be planning a move on Walker? That would certainly improve the team's athleticism at the 4 spot. Loughton is a serviceable back-up centre, although not as strong as Trigger in the post.

Just a thought.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #35
Wild 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThrows View Post

It may be tough for him (and Burston, who I don't think will be back in Orange this season) to find a gig this year, although Adelaide, Brisbane, Illawarra (possibly), Melbourne, Perth and Sydney (possibly) all have big man spots available on their rosters.
So what you're saying is it may be tough for them as only 6 of the other 7 teams have a potential roster position for them? hahaha

KingJamesXXIII
NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam
Wild 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:48 PM   #36
FreeThrows

Ha ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild 1 View Post
So what you're saying is it may be tough for them as only 6 of the other 7 teams have a potential roster position for them? hahaha
It's a fair cop, guv. I did say I didn't think they'd fit well with those teams...
I heard Trigger say on the radio this morning that he won't be leaving Cairns in a hurry, so perhaps he's going to retire.

I don't know what Matty will do.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #37
FreeThrows
Default 2016/17 Taipans Schedule

So the schedule for 2016/17 is out. Cairns has three away games before their first home showing, against MU on 27 October, and 5 of the first 7 games are on the road.

There's no corresponding home stretch, with four games away and four at home in each of the last four rounds, so I guess that means a string of home games in the middle of the season.

They have 4 Thursday games (3 at home, 1 on the road), 8 Fridays (3 home, 5 away), 8 Saturdays (3 home, 5 away), 6 Sundays (5 at home, 1 away) and 2 Monday games, 1 each home and away.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #38
miracle.touch

Hugely disappointed that we've lost the NYE game. It was a guaranteed sell-out and a great way to start the night.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #39
Twinkletoes

Extremely disappointing for the club also, I would have thought. It's the biggest money spinning game of the season as they are able to charge extra for this one game due to its popularity and, as you have pointed out @miracle.touch, many people see this as a great way to start the night (a lot take their kids to see the early fireworks display on the Esplanade after the game whilst others disperse around the CBD area).

As well as losing the NYE game, the Taipans have only 4 home games in their preferred Friday night\Saturday night slot and look to have been shafted big time from the point of view of the home game scheduling. They do have 5 Sunday games scheduled but even though I personally quite like them, many people don't and Sunday hasn't been a big crowd puller in the past.

@FreeThrows - I think some of your figures are incorrect. Home games are Thursday (3), Friday (2), Saturday (2), Sunday (5) and Monday (2).
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #40
BellBivDevoe

If the Pans can cut Trigger and still pay him half, money is not that much of an issue.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #41
FreeThrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post

@FreeThrows - I think some of your figures are incorrect. Home games are Thursday (3), Friday (2), Saturday (2), Sunday (5) and Monday (2).
You're right, @Twinkletoes. I got one of my Monday home games confused with a Friday home game. My bad.

In any case, it's a pretty bad draw for the fans in the Orange Army. Oh, and for the 'Pans team themselves, of course.

I think the whole town is pretty peeved about losing the NYE match. The NBL will eventually reap what it sows; I really hope it doesn't send the Taipans the way of the Crocs, Falcons, Rollers, Supercats.......
Old 17-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #42
FreeThrows

More on Trigger's departure from the Snakes: it's been suggested to me that it may well have been Trigger's attitude as much as anything else that got him sacked. A figure closely associated with the club mentioned the word "Cancer" to me recently, implying that Trigger's attitude may have had a very negative impact on the team.

I was also told that he had been warned on more than one occasion that his time at the Taipans was limited if this didn't improve.

This may be why there hasn't been the announcement we have been expecting for a replacement. No news on any import signings may be because there is still nothing in the wings (or in the post?? Surely, there's no point, yet) and I understand the club is not looking to spend big on imports, as they just don't have the cash, and are looking at a greatly reduced revenue base given the *unlucky* draw we have this year.

It seems the rumours I have been trying to start about a return of Scottie Wilbekin and the signings of Decorey Jones and Ikene Ibekwe to the second and third import spots may just be piss in the wind, after all!
Old 18-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #43
BellBivDevoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThrows View Post
I understand the club is not looking to spend big on imports, as they just don't have the cash, and are looking at a greatly reduced revenue base given the *unlucky* draw we have this year.
Is the draw that unlucky?

Last season you had 3 Thursday games and 2 Wednesday games, this year also 3 Thursday and 2 Mondays.

It has been suggested you also lost the NYE game. Yes, but Cairns don't have ownership of that game, no one does, so it can be expected that slot shifts year to year.

And if its the loss of only one NYE game revenue that shifts Cairns from Stud Import territory to regular import, then I would suggest Cairns have other fiscal concerns.
Old 18-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #44
Twinkletoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBivDevoe View Post
Is the draw that unlucky?

Last season you had 3 Thursday games and 2 Wednesday games, this year also 3 Thursday and 2 Mondays.

It has been suggested you also lost the NYE game. Yes, but Cairns don't have ownership of that game, no one does, so it can be expected that slot shifts year to year.

And if its the loss of only one NYE game revenue that shifts Cairns from Stud Import territory to regular import, then I would suggest Cairns have other fiscal concerns.
I think you'll find FreeThrows was being sarcastic. The Taipans may well have got 3 Thursday games and 2 Wednesday games last season but one of those Thursday games was the NYE game, so that one wasn't a problem as far as attendance goes. As well as that, there are not the same amount of Monday games this season as there were Wednesday games last season yet the Taipans still get 2 of them (there are 10 altogether) and I would argue that Monday nights will be even more difficult than Wednesday nights to get people to attend. On top of that, the Taipans have 5 Sunday games this season (which have not been great crowd pullers in the past) compared to 0 Sunday games last season and have only 4 games on a Friday or Saturday night.

Given they had the NYE game taken from then (with the NBL well aware of the financial impact it would have - an estimated loss of up to $50,000 due to it's popularity and the fact it's the one game each season they charge extra for tickets) you would think an effort would have been made to make the rest of the draw at least a bit more fan friendly for the club. As I have said previously, they have been shafted big time in my opinion.

The reality is that the Taipans are a community club and largely depend on bums on seats for revenue. They have turned a profit for the last few seasons but only a very small one. The hit to their bottom line could be significant this season and the NBL would be well aware of this.
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #45
FreeThrows

Quote:
I think you'll find FreeThrows was being sarcastic. The Taipans may well have got 3 Thursday games and 2 Wednesday games last season but one of those Thursday games was the NYE game, so that one wasn't a problem as far as attendance goes. As well as that, there are not the same amount of Monday games this season as there were Wednesday games last season yet the Taipans still get 2 of them (there are 10 altogether) and I would argue that Monday nights will be even more difficult than Wednesday nights to get people to attend. On top of that, the Taipans have 5 Sunday games this season (which have not been great crowd pullers in the past) compared to 0 Sunday games last season and have only 4 games on a Friday or Saturday night.

Given they had the NYE game taken from then (with the NBL well aware of the financial impact it would have - an estimated loss of up to $50,000 due to it's popularity and the fact it's the one game each season they charge extra for tickets) you would think an effort would have been made to make the rest of the draw at least a bit more fan friendly for the club. As I have said previously, they have been shafted big time in my opinion.

The reality is that the Taipans are a community club and largely depend on bums on seats for revenue. They have turned a profit for the last few seasons but only a very small one. The hit to their bottom line could be significant this season and the NBL would be well aware of this.
Exactly my thoughts, Twinkletoes. Couldn't have put it better. Thanks!
Old 18-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #46
King Podge

last year's draw was an abomination...... comparing this year to last year is meaningless.

I don't think it's a conspiracy, but it is annoying as hell.
King Podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #47
BellBivDevoe

Quote:
Given they had the NYE game taken from then ....
Taken from them suggests it is theirs solely. It isn't. Wouldn't other clubs like the same opportunity to make a bit more on a special night too?

Quote:
The Wildcats also largely depend on bums on seats for revenue too. When PA was near full every game during the 2014 (Ennis) season, they made money. During the DeAndre Daniels season, they lost money due to falling attendances not wishing to see that crap play.
Old 19-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #48
King Podge

Bell having something for 13 continuous years, establishing itself as a bellwether and it being taken away without any solid reasoning... along with a generally ordinary draw (arguably worse than last years).

How is it not right to feel anything else but disappointed?
King Podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #49
koberulz
Send a message via MSN to koberulz

Yeah, if Essendon or Collingwood had the Anzac game taken off their schedules there'd be outrage, I'm not really sure how this is any different.

Cairns getting a game on NYE has become a tradition, and I don't see any reason it couldn't have continued.
koberulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #50
BellBivDevoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Podge View Post
Bell having something for 13 continuous years, establishing itself as a bellwether and it being taken away without any solid reasoning... along with a generally ordinary draw (arguably worse than last years).

How is it not right to feel anything else but disappointed?
Of course you have the right to be disappointed.....the same manner I would be disappointed if I got 13 straight green traffic lights and the 14th was a red.

I accept I do not own those lights, nor have control over them so I roll with it and move on.