miracle.touch
Default Cairns Taipans 2016/17

OP to be updated as news comes to hand.

Still contracted:
Cameron Gliddon (2 years remaining)
Stephen Weigh (2 years remaining)
Alex Loughton (2 years remaining)
Mark Worthington (1 year remaining)
Aaron Fearne [head coach] (2 years remaining)
Jamie Pearlman [assistant coach] (2 years remaining)

Confirmed signings:
Jarrad Weeks 2 years
Mitch McCarron 2 years
Nathan Jawai 3 years
Travis Trice 1 year
Fuquan Edwin 1 year
Nnanna Egwu 1 year
Damon Heuir 1 year
Anthony Fisher [DP]
Ash Constable [DP]
Tevin Jackson [DP]

Off Contract and/ or unsigned:
Markel Starks
Matt Burston
Gordie McLeod [assistant coach]

Gone:
Torrey Craig
Shaun Bruce
Cameron Tragardh

Last edited by miracle.touch; 13-09-2016 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Imports signed
miracle.touch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
fan since the old snakepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by miracle.touch View Post
OP to be updated as news comes to hand.

Still contracted:
Cameron Tragardh (1 year remaining)
Cameron Gliddon (2 years remaining)
Stephen Weigh (2 years remaining)
Alex Loughton (2 years remaining)
Mark Worthington (1 year remaining)
Aaron Fearne [head coach] (2 years remaining)
Jamie Pearlman [assistant coach] (2 years remaining)

Confirmed signings:
TBA

Off Contract and/ or unsigned:
Torrey Craig
Markel Starks
Matt Burston
Shaun Bruce
Damon Heuir
Gordie McLeod [assistant coach]
Anthony Fisher [DP]
Will Sinclair [DP]
Ash Constable [DP]

Gone:
TBA
Loughton played like he was well past his prime this year. His body seems to have called it a day. Cant imagine how pedestrian he will be after two more seasons.
fan since the old snakepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #3
miracle.touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan since the old snakepit View Post
Loughton played like he was well past his prime this year. His body seems to have called it a day. Cant imagine how pedestrian he will be after two more seasons.
I'd disagree with you on that point. Physically it was probably close to his best year since joining the Taipans (Osteitis Pubis/ Achilles etc.). His problems were elsewhere... mental lapses, poor decisions (especially on defence) & poor shooting.
Old 16-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #4
jjj

Quote:
I'd disagree with you on that point. Physically it was probably close to his best year since joining the Taipans (Osteitis Pubis/ Achilles etc.). His problems were elsewhere... mental lapses, poor decisions (especially on defence) & poor shooting.
Always seems to me thaT Loughton doesn't give a stuff. Plays when he wants to(which can be quite good) but mostly can't be bothered. He has the age and experience to be a team leader but he never seems like he wants to take that on either.
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
miracle.touch

Hmmm, not sure what to make of this: http://www.taipans.com/news/club-new...airns-marlins/
Old 30-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
miracle.touch

Torrey Craig apparently going to Europe after NZ: http://www.taipans.com/news/club-new...ing-to-cairns/
Old 31-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
SB.1

Probably sick of backing up Stevie
SB.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
FreeThrows

Quote:
Torrey Craig apparently going to Europe after NZ: http://www.taipans.com/news/club-new...ing-to-cairns/
I loved Torrey's high energy play, and he will be missed by many supporters. It's probably a good chance for the Snakes to get better balance, with a 2-3 guy as an import. Whether he starts at 3 and Stevie backs him up or he backs Gliddon up at 2 is probably the question. My money is on the latter if Fearne goes to his usual plan and hires a rookie out of college ball.

Can the Snakes even consider affording to pay for a third import? If so, does that mean curtains on Shaun Bruce's tenure as a Snake? I hope not. Maybe they'll get a big to play 5?

PG: Import 1/Bruce or Import 3
SG: Gliddon/Import 2
SF: Import 2/Weigh
PF: Worthington/Loughton
C: Burston or Import 3/Tragardh
FreeThrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
SB.1

Snakes have a geriatric front court - Stevie would be the youngest and what is he, 30? Need some injection of youth right there.
SB.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #10
FreeThrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB.1 View Post
Snakes have a geriatric front court - Stevie would be the youngest and what is he, 30? Need some injection of youth right there.
Weigh just turned 29, Wortho, Trigger and Loughton are 32, and Burston is 33. Remembering that Burston missed the best part of a few seasons with injuries, he's probably playing a bit younger. Big guys typically last longer in their careers and blossom later, but you're right. It's a pretty aged front court.

If they can pick up a young(ish) 5, and get a 2-3 guy, they could well end up with Weigh playing at 4 and have a youthful front line... with a few old-timers to cheer them on from the rocking chairs!
Old 01-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #11
GordonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThrows View Post
with a few old-timers to cheer them on from the rocking chairs!
Sorry, that's my job
Old 02-04-2016, 05:20 PM   #12
fan since the old snakepit

Quote:
I watched every game on NBL TV. I have NFI what shape his body was in but he couldn't move sideways or jump for a rebound to save his life. He looked like he tried hard but was about 10 steps too slow and resorted to jacking up threes as his only option.

Reminded me of how Larry Davidson (who mostly resorted to mugging people) was playing at the Hawks and to a lessor extent Redhage (who resorted even more into flopping and flailing). Just looked life expired most nights.

Last edited by fan since the old snakepit; 02-04-2016 at 05:24 PM.
fan since the old snakepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #13
Wild 1

I thought that Loughton had really fallen off the pace since his injury problems (Osteitis Pubis especially) from about 2 seasons ago, and he hasn't gotten back. I feel he needed to be the man to step up after Wilbekin went, but it didn't happen. Cairns need some pace and energy in this line-up. Very vanilla at the moment. Arguably the least entertaining team to watch last season for me...

KingJamesXXIII
NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam
Wild 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #14
miracle.touch

Rumours abound...

Torrey Craig deep in talks with the Bullets
Nathan Jawai being targeted
Jarrad Weeks being chased to replace Shaun Bruce (signed by the Bullets)
Old 12-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #15
FreeThrows

Quote:
Rumours abound...

Torrey Craig deep in talks with the Bullets
Nathan Jawai being targeted
Jarrad Weeks being chased to replace Shaun Bruce (signed by the Bullets)
Surely they're not going to sign Jawai as a replacement for Burston?? Younger, yes, and Fearne knows him better than just about anyone in a basketball sense, but he certainly wouldn't add speed or agility into an already (as well pointed out in this forum!!) slow frontline.

Weeks would be a good addition as a backup guard, I think.
Old 19-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #16
miracle.touch

Jarrad Weeks signed for 2 years: http://www.taipans.com/news/club-new...ruit-agent-97/
Old 22-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #17
GordonG

CAIRNS TAIPANS ANNOUNCE THREE MORE YEARS WITH CQUNIVERSITY

The Cairns Taipans are pleased to announce an extension of their partnership with CQUniversity, that will see the institution remain the naming rights sponsor of the club for a further three years.

The partnership between CQUniversity and the Taipans began with their support of the Taipans Academy in 2012, and was extended in 2014 when the club’s naming rights sponsorship became available.

In their first year as the club’s major sponsor, the Snakes claimed their first minor premiership in NBL history; while CQUniversity grew nationally and their Cairns facility expanded from a small study centre to a full campus in the city.

Cairns Taipans CEO Mark Beecroft said the three-year extension was a reflection of a successful complementary partnership.

“We are delighted to extend our partnership with CQUniversity, with a secure agreement that will give this club long-term stability in regards to the sponsorship and support,” he said.

“This partnership was a priority for this club, as together we are to provide our top-level athletes with study options, and also have their support in providing strong post-basketball career opportunities for students.”

The major sponsorship will also provide support for the Taipans’ Indigenous Program, driven by former NBL player Kerry Williams as well as continued support for the Taipans Academy.

“It’s integral for us, as the only national sports team in the region, to provide a pathway for young athletes to be able to develop through the Academy,” said Mr Beecroft.

“Part of that development is their opportunities and studies off the court, and this is a program we have been building over a number of years together with Cairns Basketball, as an alternative pathway of going overseas into the US college system.

“We want to be able to develop the player both on and off the court, whether it’s a certificate, tertiary course or work experience. It’s about taking a holistic approach to building a person, and that extends from both the playing group to the front office.”

CQUniversity Vice-Chancellor Professor Scott Bowman was equally thrilled to see CQUniversity continue its unique partnership with the Cairns Taipans.

“Our partnership with the Taipans has not only been great for us, but its also been great for the club and the entire community as well,” Professor Bowman said.

“I am really proud of the partnership that has seen multiple players and staff achieve their educational and career potential through scholarships. This latest sponsorship package can see up to three Taipans players and two support staff studying with us on scholarships, along with the potential for a PhD research student to be embedded with the Taipans.”

This arrangement recently saw Taipans guard Shaun Bruce complete an undergraduate sports science degree, achieved during his time playing with the team.

Professor Bowman said the University’s partnership with the Taipans Academy and senior team over the past five years had been a valuable component of its community engagement philosophy in the Cairns region and beyond.

“The overall benefits of our sponsorship have been a ‘slam dunk’ for CQUniversity, boosting our community engagement initiatives and profile, both locally in Cairns and throughout Australia, thanks to TV and online audiences and live games, which mirrors our establishment of Australia’s largest network of University campuses.”

CQUni Associate Vice-Chancellor (Cairns and Far North Region) Jodie Duignan-George says the Taipans partnership has been ‘wonderful’ to be involved with.

“The club’s commitment to community engagement is fantastic and fits well with our own values around engagement and inclusivity,” Ms Duignan-George says.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #18
FreeThrows
Default Hello, Cairns?

No news on the recruiting front form the Snakes for a while. There are glaring deficiencies in the roster, and we need to improve big time on last year's roster if we are to compete with the likes of Melbourne, Illawarra and Brisbane's line-ups.

So far it's:
Weeks
Gliddon
Weigh
Wortho/Loughton
Tragardh
There's some good players in that line-up, and I'll even credit Gliddon and Wortho as great players... The rest are all back-ups, though.

I've heard rumours the Taipans are talking to two "very good" Aussie players they are likely to sign soon. I don't know who fits the bill, there. The glaringly obvious needs are a starting 1, 3 and 5. There don't seem to be too many 1s or 5s floating around in terms of Aussie talent.

Anyone got any ideas? (Please don't suggest Steindl for the starting 3 spot, or even as a back-up for Weigh, I don't want to lose my breakfast.)
Old 11-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #19
Wild 1

Will need a rabbit to be pulled out of the hat to avoid a season at the foot of the ladder I feel.

KingJamesXXIII
NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam
Wild 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #20
BellBivDevoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild 1 View Post
Will need a rabbit to be pulled out of the hat to avoid a season at the foot of the ladder I feel.
The loss of Bruce is significant, he came in and provided offence and hard nosed determination.

I have been waiting for Weigh to have a break out year since he left the Cats, another Trahair?
BellBivDevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #21
miracle.touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThrows View Post
I've heard rumours the Taipans are talking to two "very good" Aussie players they are likely to sign soon. I don't know who fits the bill, there. The glaringly obvious needs are a starting 1, 3 and 5. There don't seem to be too many 1s or 5s floating around in terms of Aussie talent.
One of those is possibly Jawai. He was seen lunching with Fearne, Pearlman & McLeod today.

That prompts another question... McLeod only signed for 1 season initially, is he staying on longer?
Old 11-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #22
DDFan

Quote:
McLeod only signed for 1 season initially, is he staying on longer?
From memory, he is a very close friend of Aaron's. Whether that's enough to extend a relationship with the Snakes, I can't say, but I hope it's likely.
Old 13-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #23
King Podge

Quote:
One of those is possibly Jawai. He was seen lunching with Fearne, Pearlman & McLeod today.
Corea Corea?
King Podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #24
GordonG
Default Cairns taipans recruit mitch mccarron

CAIRNS TAIPANS RECRUIT MITCH MCCARRON

The Cairns Taipans have lured the 2015 NCAA Division II National Player of the Year Mitch McCarron back to Australia, signing him for two years in his first NBL contract.

The 2015 NBA Draft prospect had work outs with the LA Lakers and Denver Nuggets before signing with Palencia Baloncesto in Spain; and winning the LEB Oro title in his first professional year.

On the back of a Championship, the 23-year old returns home to Queensland as the seventh contracted player for the Cairns Taipans.

“We definitely rated Mitch as one of the top guards in the free agents group this off-season, and I’m excited for him to join our team. He is a really top quality person and he has a bright future ahead of him,” said Head Coach Aaron Fearne.

“I see him being a major contributor to our group. He’ll bring a great level of enthusiasm and get out on the defensive end of the floor. Offensively, he’ll be hard at the rim – his game is improving every year.”

McCarron had an outstanding collegiate career at the Metro University in Denver, averaging 20.2 points, 6 rebounds and 4.23 assists in his senior year, and finished third in both scoring (16.3) and free throws made (416) in the school’s history.

Playing alongside NBL Rookie of the Year Nick Kay, McCarron led their side to a third consecutive Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference regular season Championship with a 26-6 overall record.

As the third 2015 NCAA Division II National Player of the Year to come from Metro State, McCarron is in good company with new team mate Mark Worthington – who won the same award with MSU in 2005.

“I met Mitch for the first time at the NCAA Final Four last year – we follow all the Aussie boys during their college careers and his Player of the Year Award was well-deserved recognition for his performance during his time over there,” said Fearne.

“We are pretty confident in the track record of players that have come out of the MSU program - Worthington, David Barlow and Luke Kendall, for example, have all played for Australia and had very successful NBL careers.”

The 191cm guard represented Australia at the Under-19 World Championships in 2011 and at the 2015 World University Games in South Korea, alongside Mitch Creek, Shaun Bruce, Mirko Djeric and Corey Maynard.

McCarron joins young gun Jarrad Weeks as the first new additions for the Snakes in their 2016/17 roster - a calculated move Fearne has made to invigorate his experienced line-up.

“You always want a mix of enthusiastic, hungry young guys who are jumping out of their skins to keep those older guys on their toes - that’s important for any program,” he said.

McCarron also joins Stephen Weigh, Alex Loughton, Cam Tragardh, Mark Worthington and Cam Gliddon on the roster, with more signings expected to be announced by the club soon.
Old 13-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #25
miracle.touch

Good pickup by the 'Pans. McCarron was being chased by several clubs.