TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > National Basketball League

Notices

Old 02-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #51
PyroCross

Lisch must've been the beneficiary of the 'marquee non-restricted' player cap. Now Sydney need to release what he's making.
PyroCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:43 PM   #52
Daevo
Extraordinary Member

Send a message via MSN to Daevo

Add me to those who think signing Gaze is a bad joke. I'm done with these arseclowns.

Meg, if you want to check his senior coaching qualifications, look at the result of his Tigers in their SEABL game last night.

I guess being used to dismal performances and losing is the ideal background for a Kings coach these days.
Daevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #53
fan since the old snakepit

Congrats on getting Lisch. On the other hand you can add me to the list who think Gaze as coach is about as bone headed as one can get.

Cadee & Lisch back court is decent but Cadee does love to jack up plenty so Kev may see less of the ball than he deserves.

IF Childress isn't back that is one huge hole to fill. Would love to see him at the Hawks (unikely I know) where he would address the glaring rebound and defensive issues very well.
fan since the old snakepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #54
Sachmo

I would've gone with Gordie McLeod before Gaze.

Heck before almost everyone really, has he retired from all head coaching?
He did well with Illawara teams that couldn't spend a great deal of $$
Sachmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #55
Daevo
Extraordinary Member

Send a message via MSN to Daevo

McLeod was a strong rumour and I would have been happy with him as head coach. As you say, just about anybody would be better than Gaze. What rubs salt into the wound is all the crap they go with on about a worldwide search. Do they seriously think we'd fall for that story when they settle for Gaze?

Last edited by Daevo; 02-04-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Daevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #56

I have never been a fan of the great player great coach thinking ( backed up by anecdotal evidence supplied by my failing memory). In this case I also don't get the Gaze should be a good coach "because Lindsay" argument.

Lindsay's fame is more about longevity than results. He needed clearly the best Aussie NBL player of all time and a few more guns (NBL greats) like Bradtke and Copeland in his roster before he actually achieved anything of note. Please correct me if I am wrong.

His teams were also known to favour a an almost zero defence policy.

Gordie would have been a far better choice and probably far less expensive also.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #57
DDFan
Unhappy

I feel the guilt, please forgive me, pleeeease don't hurt me.

It occured to me this morning that my "Player Shuffle" thread may've sewn the seed for Kings management to sign Drewey as Head Coach.

I'm not looking for praise if it all works out, but it was an innocent mistake, & I beg mercy if it's a fail.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #58
BellBivDevoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDFan View Post
I feel the guilt, please forgive me, pleeeease don't hurt me.

I beg mercy if it's a fail.
I don't think a team that boasts a coaching line up of :

- Moose Robilliard.
- Shane Heal.
- Damian Cotter
- Joe Connelly

...can blame anyone but oneself.
BellBivDevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #59
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBivDevoe View Post
Two that spring into mind are Greg Hubbard and Justin Withers.

Anymore?

Edit : I have left out Glen Saville because he still did well in Sydney (got to GF) and Melvin Thomas who still played at a high level upon his return to the Gong.
Gordie MCLeod went from Illawarra to Sydney but that wasn't the Kings. Of course he too got ripped off too.

Last edited by jjj; 03-04-2016 at 09:30 PM.
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #60
Wallitron

Send a message via AIM to Wallitron Send a message via MSN to Wallitron Send a message via Yahoo to Wallitron

I don't mind the Gaze decision. I've been pretty critical of decisions made in the past on coaches with zero professional head coaching experience, but Gaze has a few advantages:
* He's not a dickhead (Shane Heal)
* He has intimate experience in the NBL (Mark Price, Connelly)
* It's been 10+ years since he played, he hasn't walked straight off the court and into a coaching gig because he has nothing better to do or bills to pay (Shane Heal).
* If he calls a US based agent, they will have probably heard of him.

As for, "his dad is a coach" qualification, it's not a genetic thing. Imagine you spent the first 20 years of your life eating dinner with a FIBA Hall of Fame coach, and then spent the next 20 or so years playing basketball for him. Not to mention, a 1999 season where all he did was sit on the bench for the Spurs.

Come on now, it's not like the Kings signed Daniel Joyce.
Wallitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:54 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallitron View Post
As for, "his dad is a coach" qualification, it's not a genetic thing. Imagine you spent the first 20 years of your life eating dinner with a FIBA Hall of Fame coach, and then spent the next 20 or so years playing basketball for him.
So he knows how to run the shuffle better than any other human on the planet?

Lindsay is in the HOF because of longevity rather than success IMO.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:27 AM   #62
Durbansandshark

I'm with Wallitron on this hiring. Why not hire Drewy, without a doubt one of the best basketball players Australia has ever produced (and really an important part of Australia's First Basketball Family), and see what he's capable of? You would hope his NBL broadcasting time on FOX Sports (not to mention internationally) would open his eyes differently to the game in a different manner than he was as a legendary player like critically thinking about employing his own defensive priority while upholding much of his dad Lindsay's offense with his own tweaks to it. He was kinda like Oscar Schmidt in that his greatest All-World skill was scoring.

You know there has been several NBA coaches in recent years who come from an analyst's side in broadcasting like Mark Jackson and Dan Issel before having the prior roaming the sidelines experience. Plenty have succeeded in varying degrees. Of course the NBL has its own distinct culture differences as opposed to the NBA. And yes, people here in the USA have heard of him.

Geordie McLeod would be a nice and experienced choice for the Kings with familiarity to Sydney, though I wish West Sydney was still around to help further build upon the local basketball culture there. You know what, if Gaze was smart, he'd hire him as an assistant.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #63
Wallitron

Send a message via AIM to Wallitron Send a message via MSN to Wallitron Send a message via Yahoo to Wallitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan since the old snakepit View Post
So he knows how to run the shuffle better than any other human on the planet?
There's nothing wrong with being a system coach. Gaze probably still leads the league in career wide open backdoor layups.
Wallitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #64
DDFan

OK, I refuse to apologise for seeing things differently to normals, so clench your fists & jaws, 'cos I'm say'n it like I saw it.

Someone previously mentioned that Lenard Copeland & Mark Bradtke helped get Lindsay that championship. I'm going further, by saying that Drewey was a lazy arsed spoilt brat, playing for his Head Coach Father, & that Lenard & Mark were vital in bringing about that tearful championship Father/Son hug that we all remember so vividly.

I don't know what eyes you guys used when you watched Drewey, but I remember that he frequently couldn't be bothered crossing the halfway line to help in defending the oppo, only to have a gimme pass handeded to him on a plate from a team-mate that actually stole the ball on the defensive end. Could you imagine Goorj putting up with that shit????

I saw first hand, in a Finals home game at the Cage, where the ball clearly came off of Drewey, & it was correctly called that way. Drewey got theatrical/demonstrative at the ref, & had the decision reversed. If you think that's what legends are made of, then again, we're on different planets.

In a way, it'll be entertaining to see how he handles game stress. I'm picturing a silver topped parrot, with bulging eyes & neck arteries, with his beak dentures still on the bedside table.

Hello Earth.

Last edited by DDFan; 05-04-2016 at 01:22 PM.
DDFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #65
BallistiX

Dean Vickerman and Lanard Copeland announced as assistant coaches:

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/...-sydney-kings/
BallistiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:29 AM   #66
s**tkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallistiX View Post
Dean Vickerman and Lanard Copeland announced as assistant coaches:

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/...-sydney-kings/
Vickerman is a good insurance cover.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #67
DDFan

It's a good thing to sign Vickerman, but I don't get the timing & that he's an assistant. Everyone knew that Dean wasn't staying with the Breakers months before last season ended, so why not approach him first as Head Coach? If Dean knocks them back, then fall back on Drewey if they had to. It's not as if Drewey would've been flooded with offers from rival teams, & they had to act fast or lose out.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #68
Ashman25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDFan View Post
It's a good thing to sign Vickerman, but I don't get the timing & that he's an assistant. Everyone knew that Dean wasn't staying with the Breakers months before last season ended, so why not approach him first as Head Coach? If Dean knocks them back, then fall back on Drewey if they had to. It's not as if Drewey would've been flooded with offers from rival teams, & they had to act fast or lose out.
Whilst I am speculating here, how do you know something along those lines didn't happen? DV could have knocked back the top job but said he would be an assistant.
Ashman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #69
DDFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashman25 View Post
Whilst I am speculating here, how do you know something along those lines didn't happen? DV could have knocked back the top job but said he would be an assistant.
I find that highly unlikely, but I'm cool with you coming up with an alternative process, & one that I hadn't considered.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #70
s**tkicker

No one else sacked their head coach.
The new owners went with Drewie for their model.

Vickerman may not have been approached. He may have.
He may not have hit the credentials as a head coach.
Remembering, he was took over an already elite team with a good system and a great functioning roster.

Getting him on as an assistant coach is a good insurance policy to have incase Gaze doesn't cut the jib.

I like the moves they have made so far. I am all for this.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #71
mattic
Mr. Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by s**tkicker View Post
Getting him on as an assistant coach is a good insurance policy to have in case the already appointed Head Coach doesn't cut the jib.
Altered for clarity.
The Kings have this totally arse-about. A Heath Robinson affair. A confection of brainless.

Last edited by mattic; 07-04-2016 at 03:48 PM.
mattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #72
s**tkicker

Cadee coming back is a nice move by the Kings!
Old 08-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #73
DDFan

Interesting to see that Nerf's FA Tracker thread now shows that Chill's an FA, & not "FA .... Option not taken".

I await Stumps' cynical crystal ball Gaze-ing. Has there been a corrupt exchange of $M injury prone players, to atone Kings management not securing Bevo?

NB: This post is a Pea Steak.
Old 14-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #74
s**tkicker

Was hoping Garlepp wouldnt come back
Old 14-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #75
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by s**tkicker View Post
Was hoping Garlepp wouldnt come back
Good for depth to retain someone like Garlepp.
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote