TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > National Basketball League

Notices

Old 23-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #26
Nerf Herder

Not much I can dispute with most of all that, it all makes sense... I for one DO get sensitive when all Kings fans are lumped together, but in this instance, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I haven't seen any smugness around whatsoever... I think we've all been beaten down over the last season that even if we get Chill, Clarke and a bunch of other quality players, it will take me at least halfway into the season to have any sort of confidence if they're going any good...

As for wanting the best for their team, I think all fans are subject to that... 36ers fans and Newley, Perth fans and Ennis, etc, it's just part of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDFan View Post
I don't see anything wrong with AEG Ogden providing the Kings with favourable venue rates, I just thought that it would've been nice if they took on Larry's lead, & did it across the board for all teams to benefit. Maybe they've committed to that, & I'm wrong, again.
Well, to paraphrase you from before, what have they done for it? There's a difference between LK and AEG Ogden... LK isn't doing this out of the goodness of his heart, he gets something out of it... AEG Ogden own the Kings, not have a stake in other teams... You don't see people wanting Bendat to pay the difference to get Chill back, do you?

Quote:
Now for the sharp end of the bullet, & send it in my direction if I've got it wrong, but it appeared to me that fans critical of Larry Kestelman, are now jumping on the AEG Ogden train, to buy a championship.
Who? From what I've seen, people have been critical of LK and the danger of his Unitard bias, but those voices have lessened as the quality season has gone on and it's really only left Stumps as one of the only ones left that are hugely critical of LK? I could be wrong though...
Old 23-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #27
DDFan

Good to hear back from you Nerf, you're one of the more reasonable posters here, so I'll try a little bit harder to get across my concerns.

I agree that some Kings fans chilled over the season about Larry Kestelman's perceived monopoly games, BUT only recently, someone brought up about a conflict of interest with him owning 2 clubs, & running the show. Call me naive, but if his real money is do the talking, I'm listening, & I applaqud him.

I don't get AEG Ogden's involvement, if it's solely to fill a Kings venue. Surely it's a better bet to promote filling all of their venues, which would help all of the league, & them too. I can't fathom for the life of me, how Larry Kestelman "isn't doing this out of the goodness of his heart, he gets something out of it". Can I ask what that is?

You brought up Stumps, & that's worthy of a new thread for OzHo members plus. I'll fuel it by saying that he has obsessive bias agendas, & insecurities that he needs to deal with. Help him out guys.

Bye for now.

Last edited by DDFan; 23-03-2016 at 05:36 PM.
DDFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #28
koberulz
Send a message via MSN to koberulz

Quote:
I can't fathom for the life of me, how Larry Kestelman "isn't doing this out of the goodness of his heart, he gets something out of it". Can I ask what that is?
Money.
koberulz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #29
Daevo
Extraordinary Member

Send a message via MSN to Daevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
The shitty owners that did nothing...
Providing you with a team to support in the NBL for the past 5 years counts for nothing?

Quote:
...are getting bought out, for how much, we don't know, probably not a return on their investment, surely? They definitely don't deserve it...
So these guys spend their own money to fund a team entertain you, have to put up with you constantly demanding how they should spend that money & now you begrudge them getting anything back? You are a true product of the age of entitlement.
Daevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #30
Nerf Herder

I'm on the record as saying (in response to all the anti-Pings attitude from all the facebook nutters) that without the owners that we've had, we wouldn't have a team at, so that's not entirely fair

I would have thought you'd be against doing the bare minimum effort to get any sort of reward? It's not like they did it out of the goodness of their hearts... Those that didn't want to keep putting up money didn't, like Kochie...
Old 24-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #31
Daevo
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
I would have thought you'd be against doing the bare minimum effort to get any sort of reward?
I've spent most of my life trying to get maximum reward for minimum effort
Old 24-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #32
s**tkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevo View Post
Providing you with a team to support in the NBL for the past 5 years counts for nothing?

So these guys spend their own money to fund a team entertain you, have to put up with you constantly demanding how they should spend that money & now you begrudge them getting anything back? You are a true product of the age of entitlement.
I like you Dave, but the last 5 years have been anything but fucking entertaining.
Old 29-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #33
Daevo
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s**tkicker View Post
the last 5 years have been anything but fucking entertaining.
I'm betting fans of other clubs have had a few belly laughs

Seriously though, the previous owners have done a few good things over 5 years e.g. Childress... um, I'm sure there must be 1 or 2 others. Sure they got a lot wrong, OK a real lot wrong but even a constantly under-performing team has to be better than no team at all (ask Bullets fans).
Old 29-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #34
BellBivDevoe

Quote:

Seriously though, the previous owners have done a few good things over 5 years e.g. Childress... um, I'm sure there must be 1 or 2 others. Sure they got a lot wrong, OK a real lot wrong but even a constantly under-performing team has to be better than no team at all (ask Bullets fans).
As a Celtics fan, I'd like to formally thank the Kings for showing us how much a mistake Marcus Thornton was. The only time he made the news was when he had beer poured on him, even then it was on the road, no one at home would waste beer on him.
BellBivDevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #35
DDFan

Quote:

I'm chipping in now, so that you don't think that it's an April fools jibe.

Why mention the Bullets hiatus, when the Kings didn't represent the NBL for 3(?) years?

Besides, the Violet Crumbles, & fornicated Kings management have been a standing joke going back to the break of the century.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #36
illusiv
Send a message via ICQ to illusiv Send a message via MSN to illusiv

I'm hearing Lisch will sign with the Kings.
illusiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #37
meg
really hot chix

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusiv View Post
I'm hearing Lisch will sign with the Kings.
I wondered that, when I read this. Unless, of course, the Hawks have other fiercest rivals...
Old 01-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #38
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg View Post
I wondered that, when I read this. Unless, of course, the Hawks have other fiercest rivals...
probably more teams (and fans) that don't like them, more than there are "fiercest rivals"?

NB for the NBL though, next season not on April Fools Day!
Old 01-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #39
BellBivDevoe

When thinking of the Hawk's 'fiercest rivals', the Kings comes foremost to mind.

Although I have a soft spot for Bevo and the Hawks in general.....I think it would be entertaining to watch a back court of White, Demos, 97 and Rhys. Martin with a bowl of popcorn in hand.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #40
Stumps
Fightin' around the world

What longer-held league tradition is there than the Kings paying big money to poach the Hawks' best player immediately before that player commences an irreversible decline?
Old 01-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #41
DDFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumps View Post
What longer-held league tradition is there than the Kings paying big money to poach the Hawks' best player immediately before that player commences an irreversible decline?
As a Family Feud contestant, my answer is EGG.

Give me the money, I'm outta here.

Last edited by DDFan; 01-04-2016 at 06:20 PM.
DDFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #42
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Throw in signing a ex-NBL legend as a coach with little or no head coaching experience, and we're travelling pretty nicely
Old 01-04-2016, 11:30 PM   #43
BellBivDevoe

Quote:
Two that spring into mind are Greg Hubbard and Justin Withers.

Anymore?

Edit : I have left out Glen Saville because he still did well in Sydney (got to GF) and Melvin Thomas who still played at a high level upon his return to the Gong.

Last edited by BellBivDevoe; 01-04-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:23 AM   #44
Stumps
Fightin' around the world

Sydney certainly did well that year, but Glen Saville struggled offensively the entire season, when he was rumoured to be the Kings' highest paid player (not that any of them ended up getting paid).

Previous year in Wollongong: 16.3 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 4.9 apg, 42.1% FG, 42.4% 3FG, 73.1% FT
First year in Sydney: 10.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 2.7 apg, 40.7% FG, 35.0% 3FG, 68.9% FT (all while still playing starter's minutes)

Thomas also went from a 27 ppg player to a 20 ppg player upon joining the Kings.

Even Tim Morrissey was a 19 ppg player for Illawarra (although IIRC he came to Sydney by way of Canberra so doesn't completely fit the cliche).
Old 02-04-2016, 08:29 AM   #45
Glenn
Send a message via MSN to Glenn

Quote:
Throw in signing a ex-NBL legend as a coach with little or no head coaching experience, and we're travelling pretty nicely
No experience at a National level at least, minimal elsewhere.
And I had such high hopes after all the talk of vastly more experienced head coaches.

March 24th 2010, The Re-birth of the Sydney Kings.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #46
Nerf Herder

Well, it's official, Gaze as head coach... If any ex-player is going to make a go of it, it's Drewie, and with a minimum three year deal, hopefully that shows that the ownership have faith in him building a long term team...

No official article on #AussieKev yet, but this is good enough for me
Old 02-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #47
Glenn
Send a message via MSN to Glenn

Quote:
Well, it's official, Gaze as head coach... If any ex-player is going to make a go of it, it's Drewie, and with a minimum three year deal, hopefully that shows that the ownership have faith in him building a long term team...

No official article on #AussieKev yet, but this is good enough for me
Official article up now for Lisch
http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/31314/

March 24th 2010, The Re-birth of the Sydney Kings.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #48
meg
really hot chix

From several news articles :

"The Kings fielded offers from coaches around the world, including resumes from several former NBA coaches interested in the job, but have settled on a man who they say is a legend of the game."

I think "settled" is the key word here. Yes, he's an Australian basketball legend, but can he coach? I understand in December 2015 he was announced as the coach for the Melbourne Tigers Juniors...they won't be happy, will they?? I also can't find any results regarding his coaching record, and quite frankly, we've been burnt before in hiring an ex-icon as coach, hey Shane Heal?
Once again, management are going for bums on seats (at least for the first few games) over any sort of actual experience, other than his dad was a successful coach. Same old same old.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #49
DDFan

Wow, & congrats on signing Kevin Lisch. I must admit, I thought that the announcement yesterday would've been too early, & that it was probably an April Fool's joke.

The Drewey coaching job, I'm not sure how that'll go.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #50
phill

The goods news is that we have Lisch. The bad news is we have Gaze. It this serious? He has no experience in coaching at the NBL level. The new owners are rolling the dice already. Gaze will probably run the same offence as Lindsay did all his life.
phill is offline   Reply With Quote