TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > National Basketball League

Notices

Old 13-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
Nerf Herder
Default Sydney Kings 2016/17

So shit just got real, AEG Ogden (owners of Allphones Arena) taking 100% ownership of the Sydney Kings, planning to play out of Allphones as well as the ICC Sydney in Darling Harbour (that opens in December 2016)

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...mc_id=newsmail

Also Jeff Van Gronigen is the new managing director...

So big things ahead... lots of notes in the article... looking to be aggressive in the FA market and looking to spend cash on not only players, but the coach as well (which will need to be quick about).

But at least with some cash behind them and no more multiple owners, there's at least the possibility of a decent off season...

Side note though, a different article had only Jeromie and Jules as signed for next season, Angus might not have taken up his option (is there a time limit on them?) or maybe just waiting to test the market?
Old 13-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
miaow

Do you think we'll be at Allphones this year? I've already renewed at the earlybird prices, but I might see if I can upgrade to Platinum for a better view.

Full announcement from the Kings: http://www.sydneykings.com/featured-...-sydney-kings/

Last edited by miaow; 13-03-2016 at 10:30 PM.
miaow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
Bring back the Bullets

Where there's cash to be had there's JVG....unbelievable.
If it doesn't work out he'll bail out and find the next Host Organism.
Bring back the Bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #4
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaow View Post
Do you think we'll be at Allphones this year? I've already renewed at the earlybird prices, but I might see if I can upgraded to Platinum for a better view.
Yeah, I'm in Gold which should still be ok, but it will be interesting to see what they do about seating charts and hopefully clear benefits for early bird renewers...

Will be interesting to see who is left standing once the smoke clears, especially if the new owners are serious about having the right people in charge...
Old 14-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
Daevo
Extraordinary Member

Send a message via MSN to Daevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
Yeah, I'm in Gold which should still be ok, but it will be interesting to see what they do about seating charts and hopefully clear benefits for early bird renewers...

Will be interesting to see who is left standing once the smoke clears
I expect for Gold membership you'd be fairly sure of a seat.
Daevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
Stumps
Fightin' around the world

Quote:
hopefully clear benefits for early bird renewers...
I am of the opposite view - I think early bird renewers should be lined up in front of a wall and shot. Thanks to them, we are now in a situation where the club has the hide to bring forward the renewal date every year to the point where now they are asking people to sign up for next season before the current one has even finished.

Members should be saying "I am going to wait and see what sort of plan you have put in place" before renewing so that the club is forced to avoid a repeat of this season's debacle (and all the ones that have come before) by getting its affairs in order earlier on.
Old 14-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
Nerf Herder

I agree, but if it saves me $30, I'm gonna do it

When I called them up to renew I told them that having to renew so early has probably cost them at least one or two other memberships and this would be the last season that I would do it without a drastic improvement, as well as backing up some statements in their membership survey...

I was going to renew anyways, so it wasn't a big deal for me...
Old 14-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #8
DDFan
Wink

It's rumoured that AEG will introduce a top tear level Rhodium Membership deal. The priviledged get away game seats at close quarters, to watch the Kings stink it up on the rhod.

Chill's playing D League, is he scouting, or wasn't he paid for last season?

Last edited by DDFan; 14-03-2016 at 05:24 PM.
DDFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 07:31 AM   #9
s**tkicker

Amazing news.

Club needs a complete overhaul and we are getting it. Hopefully a squad overhaul and a new coach will make us at least competitive next year.

I would hate to come on here a month before the season started and call us to miss the playoffs only to be called crazy again.
Old 17-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #10
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by s**tkicker View Post
Amazing news.

Club needs a complete overhaul and we are getting it. Hopefully a squad overhaul and a new coach will make us at least competitive next year.

I would hate to come on here a month before the season started and call us to miss the playoffs only to be called crazy again.
Don't worry, I think all Kings who called you crazy at the start of the season (and yours truly called you some other names as well maybe) have all been appropriately beaten down by last season and will more than likely be extra cautious with their predictions, no matter who we get on the court, or on the sidelines...

I'm yet to read this through, but Mr McQuade did a Q&A with JvG and it's up on the kings website: here...
Old 18-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #11
s**tkicker

Not a bad read that tbh.
Old 18-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #12
Nerf Herder

Was good to set the bar... hopefully we can keep thema ccountable during the season...

The only thing that really stood out to me was JvG wanting to pick the team and have the coach just coach... I'm hoping that that's just an early in teh situationt hing and while he'll have final say so over teh teams make up, once they get a coach, he'll be involved in the selection as well... I just don't want that to scare off the topmost coaching options...

I wonder how much of a hard sell they put to Bevo... If they couldn't convince him, I wonder how they will go...

Two weeks to go until everyone officially starts talking to other teams players... I wonder who will be Day 1 signings, since no-one actually sticks to that no-talking thing...
Old 21-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #13
GordonG

Quote:
Two weeks to go until everyone officially starts talking to other teams players...
Not necessarily - no-one knows what the new rules are going to be be next season yet, so no-one knows when free agency will start.
Old 21-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #14
koberulz
Send a message via MSN to koberulz

Free agency starts April 1.
koberulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #15
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonG View Post
Not necessarily - no-one knows what the new rules are going to be be next season yet, so no-one knows when free agency will start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
Free agency starts April 1.
Well, I get what Gordon might be suggesting, in that nothing has been announced by the NBL and hence, we could have a situation like last season when they pushed it back significantly multiple times, didn't they?
Old 21-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #16
koberulz

I do vaguely recall that happening, due to the Hawks and Crocs situations. This seems a lot more in the league's control, though.
Old 22-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #17
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I do vaguely recall that happening, due to the Hawks and Crocs situations. This seems a lot more in the league's control, though.
yeah, you'd think so, but I would also think that if they were prepared enough,t hey'd have organised it all before the end of the Grand Final so there wasn't a delay... it just gives me the impression that it was a last minute "hey, what do ya'll think of THIS great big idea!" idea and won't have been completely thought out...
Old 22-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #18
koberulz

Most of the ideas have been mentioned as far back as Kestleman first taking over, though. Or in the case of removing the points cap, even earlier.
Old 22-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #19
DDFan

I don't see a problem in delaying the Free Agents list. If it's only a, "let's think about this thing before *we all commit", then it's gotta be a good thing. Especially when the 3 import thing hasn't been decided on, & more specifically, perhaps not all clubs could afford it. Ca ching!!!

Not wanting to piss on the all things Kings parade, but if it weren't for Larry Kestelman, the NBL would've struggled to stay afloat. His cash injection made the NBL more even across the board, & promoted an entertaining league. Lock that in.

FFS, now you guys are continuing the smugness that the Kings are essential for the NBL to grow, talking the return of the great one, subsidised venue hire (for the Kings), & schedules/promotions to set you up?

Question: What have the Kings, & to the point SYDNEY, done to earn that?

*we being, clubs, players & agents.

Last edited by DDFan; 22-03-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 22-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #20
koberulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDFan View Post
His cash injection made the NBL more even across the board, & promoted an entertaining league. Lock that in.
Yeah, I hated all those Breakers/Wildcats grand finals we kept having before Kestleman came on board.

Quote:
FFS, now you guys are continuing the smugness that the Kings are essential for the NBL to grow, talking the return of the great one, subsidised venue hire (for the Kings), & schedules/promotions to set you up?

So your problem is that the Kings haven't achieved anything, therefore...they shouldn't try to achieve anything?
Old 22-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #21
DDFan

Quote:
Yeah, I hated all those Breakers/Wildcats grand finals we kept having before Kestleman came on board.
Ummm, I don't think that United being swept in the 1st round of the finals was the focus of Larry Kestelman throwing money around across the board. Seriously, do you?
Things could've been different if Kevin Lisch didn't get injured, but I don't think that Larry planned that either.
Are you starting to get it yet?
Quote:
So your problem is that the Kings haven't achieved anything, therefore...they shouldn't try to achieve anything?
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. This ... they've sat on their lazy arses, & bummed out, but now that the league is more attractive (thank you Larry), the Kings have AEG Ogden on board throwing money at them. Kings fans now seem to want it all, 'cos that will help the league.
More to the point, if Larry hadn't taken over the league, do you think that AEG Ogden would've bought into the Kings? And then, why didn't AEG Ogden buy into the Kings before last season?
Old 23-03-2016, 01:04 AM   #22
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Most of the ideas have been mentioned as far back as Kestleman first taking over, though. Or in the case of removing the points cap, even earlier.
Yeah, in the grand scheme of things I guess, but it just goes to further prove my point, that it should all have been further along and more thought out than what it is seeming now... I know teams had to play out the season and in the case of four teams, playoffs, etc, but that doesn't mean that their front office could have been planning for next season and the NBL locking in these new rules going forward?

Quote:
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. This ... they've sat on their lazy arses, & bummed out, but now that the league is more attractive (thank you Larry), the Kings have AEG Ogden on board throwing money at them.
Agreed... You won't hear people more critical of the owners and how they've run the team than Kings fans themselves... But what's that got to do with anything to do with Kings fans or the team itself? The shitty owners that did nothing are getting bought out, for how much, we don't know, probably not a return on their investment, surely? They definitely don't deserve it...

Quote:
Not wanting to piss on the all things Kings parade, but if it weren't for Larry Kestelman, the NBL would've struggled to stay afloat. His cash injection made the NBL more even across the board, & promoted an entertaining league. Lock that in.
Agreed, and that helped the ENTIRE league, not just the Kings... I don't see your point?

Quote:

Quote:
Kings fans now seem to want it all, 'cos that will help the league.
Who is continuing the smugness? Certainly not fans... The only time I've seen that crap mentioned is in the press release pumping up the sale and it always comes out when something in the league ties in with the Kings... Strong Kings = strong league = bollocks... It's just talk... I would have thought you capable of seeing the difference?

As for the return of the Great One... I mentioned that elsewhere because to be honest, some of the key things stopping Goorj returning were obviously the money he was getting paid in China, the instability of the league and something that would have put the Kings out of the running were nutbag owners... The league is in much better shape now, at least on the surface with returning OS players, quality imports and LK running the show and with AEG Ogden coming in, it gets rid of the nutbag owners and replaces them with ownership that actually can shell out for a proper coach... That was just hopeful joining of dots...

Subsidised venue hire because the owners of the team own the venue(s) that the team will be playing in... What's wrong with that?

As for a few home games to get things set up properly, what's wrong with wanting that? If they get 9 in a row like the Unitards did this season past that would be slightly crooked, but there's no challenging that hoping that we get a few home games to start the season off to help build interest and a following, would be a good thing...

Quote:
More to the point, if Larry hadn't taken over the league, do you think that AEG Ogden would've bought into the Kings? And then, why didn't AEG Ogden buy into the Kings before last season?
Probably not, no... But if LK didn't take over the league, would we still have a Crocs or a Hawks and therefore a league at all? Again, what's that got to do with anything? I think you're using "more to the point" incorrectly as it wasn't really pointed to an actual point?
Old 23-03-2016, 04:16 AM   #23
koberulz

Quote:
Ummm, I don't think that United being swept in the 1st round of the finals was the focus of Larry Kestelman throwing money around across the board. Seriously, do you?
Things could've been different if Kevin Lisch didn't get injured, but I don't think that Larry planned that either.
Are you starting to get it yet?
No, you're being utterly incoherent.

Quote:
Kings fans now seem to want it all, 'cos that will help the league.
You're surely not suggesting that fans want their team to do well? That would be outrageous!
Old 23-03-2016, 05:53 AM   #24
Durbansandshark

I can only hope with the AEG Ogden's Kings ownership that it can market/publicize the Sydney Kings aggressively than it's ever been with all due respect to what the late Mike Wrublewski and Bob Turner (now that I realize it, Turner looks a little like Mike D'Antoni) accomplished. Remind people of Sydney's surprising pro basketball heritage. At Allphones Arena with its second go-round (I still like to call it the Sydney SuperDome), gotta be best to have the upper bowl draped unless it's something like the NBL Playoffs and Grand Finals. A big-time showcase opponent coming to town like Perth, Melbourne, New Zealand, and Brisbane's return. Or even NBL All-Star Weekend.

Still surprising there's no local Chinese radio station existing that can do Chinese-language Kings games with its large and growing Chinese community. Sure there are multicultural radio stations locally.
Old 23-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #25
DDFan
Gameday

I'm not going into a quotefest, but I'll try to make my observations more clearly understood. I knew full well that my POV was controversial, that it wouldn't be popular, & that it would be challenged. It has been, & I'm cool with that.

Apologies, I've once again made the mistake of making the generalisation of stating Kings fans, & not some Kings fans. That's on me, no squirming away from it.

I thought that last season was the best that I can recall this century, & felt that most would agree. There were injuries that messed with things, but there were some awe inspiring shows of team & individual grit, that topped anything that I'd seen before. Like Damo, & the Haqwks winning against the odds when K Lisch went down.

The unfortunate thing with sport or anything, there's always a team that will come last, it's not a good feeling, I've been through it myself. Last season it happened to be the Kings. I didn't see it coming, & pre-season was optimistic that they'd make the finals, but I've been reminded several times about how wrong I was by sh**tkicker(?), who said the Kings were crap from the start. ; )

I've made it perfectly clear over many years that Kings management have been retards, & that they needed to go. Some Kings fans were just as angry, & now that the clueless 'tards have been ousted, by whatever means, it's time to celebrate. Count me in.

Some have drawn parallels to the Hawks with their owner/board meddling with team signings, & to their credit, they saw the error in their ways. Having said that, did anyone see them enlisting Bevo, Penney, Lisch etc? That's impressive for a team that has relied on community support to survive.

I haven't disguised that I've been flat out pissed by Croc management waving the VA flag over recent years, expecting, & getting hand outs from all quarters, while contributing SFA themselves. The Crocs came 2nd last, but Shawn Dennis & the team showed in the latter part of the season that were legit. It's a crying shame that locals don't show up, & that there hasn't been any mention of the board being tossed for this coming season. I'm delighted that mattic has hinted that change is coming, but note that he admits that it won't happen overnight. Bring it big fella, bust some balls, 'cos I feel that you are ripe for it, & just the bloke to do it.

Sorry, I've strayed off topic.

AEG Ogden, with their undeniable cred, won't tolerate incompetence, it's a game changer for the Kings, & I wish them well. All good.

I don't see anything wrong with AEG Ogden providing the Kings with favourable venue rates, I just thought that it would've been nice if they took on Larry's lead, & did it across the board for all teams to benefit. Maybe they've committed to that, & I'm wrong, again.

Now for the sharp end of the bullet, & send it in my direction if I've got it wrong, but it appeared to me that fans critical of Larry Kestelman, are now jumping on the AEG Ogden train, to buy a championship.

No blindfold for me, fire away.

Kobe, love yah, but don't just comment in this thread, please explain your concerns.

Last edited by DDFan; 23-03-2016 at 12:31 PM.