TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > National Basketball League

Notices

Old 11-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #1
jjj
Default Illawarra Hawks 2016/17

Bevo re-signs for four more years.
From the Hawks Facebook page:
The Illawarra Hawks are pleased to announce that Head Coach Rob Beveridge has re-signed with the club for a further 4 years.

The announcement which was made at the annual Illawarra Hawks MVP and Awards Dinner, held at the Novotel North Wollongong on Friday night, is a major coup for the Hawks as they look to build upon this season's 3rd placing and semi finals appearance.

Beveridge said he was excited to be rejoining the Hawks, especially with the knowledge that his family would be joining him next season.

"I am really excited about re-signing with the Illawarra Hawks for the next 4 years. We had a tremendous year and I am very proud of what we achieved this season. I’m really looking forward to continuing to be part of this great community and excited to have my family join me”.

Perhaps the only surprising thing is the length of the tenure. Great news for the Hawks however.

Last edited by jjj; 12-03-2016 at 12:20 AM.
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
SB.1

Sounds like the Bevo family will be on the move.
SB.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
BellBivDevoe

Is it mean to hope that the Hawks retain Tyson Demos and also keep Kevin White as starting 'point?' guard?
BellBivDevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBivDevoe View Post
Is it mean to hope that the Hawks retain Tyson Demos and also keep Kevin White as starting 'point?' guard?
Not sure about Demos. He has really struggled with his knees which by all accounts are shot. He may decide to pull the pin and get out while he can still walk.
White has been and any team needs role players like him in their line up.
Old 16-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #5
jjj

Seems the Hawks had another win over Sydney when they re-signed Bevo. Apparently a big offer was made but he decided to stay with the devil he knows.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #6
DDFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj View Post
Seems the Hawks had another win over Sydney when they re-signed Bevo. Apparently a big offer was made but he decided to stay with the devil he knows.
That is a huge win over Sydney, Bevo would've been a great insurance policy in case Drewey, Vickerman & Copes all failed to measure up.

To the real world, I'd be nervous if I were a Hawks fan, losing Kevin, but locking in AJ for 3 years. I liked AJ's demeanour at the start of last season, but now agree with Nerf's assessment of him, once his sookiness surfaced.

I'm also freaking out that all other plkayers are free agents. Anyone have the inside on that?
Old 08-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #7
illusiv
Send a message via ICQ to illusiv Send a message via MSN to illusiv

Penney is rumored to head back to NZ....
illusiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
Wild 1

Done. Penney --> NZ. Both he and Lisch one and done seasons. Wonder what their reasons were for joining Illawarra to start and if it was only ever a one season plan because their preferred teams, which they are now with didn't have a roster position available when they were initially looking to return at the time?

KingJamesXXIII
NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam
Wild 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #9
koberulz
Send a message via MSN to koberulz

That's probably true for Penney, but for Lisch I'd say it's simply money.
koberulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #10
illusiv
Send a message via ICQ to illusiv Send a message via MSN to illusiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild 1 View Post
Done. Penney --> NZ. Both he and Lisch one and done seasons. Wonder what their reasons were for joining Illawarra to start and if it was only ever a one season plan because their preferred teams, which they are now with didn't have a roster position available when they were initially looking to return at the time?
Lisch was purely money. He took a BIG pay cut from Europe to play for the Hawks, and the Kings apparently made him an offer that was just too good to pass on.

Penney's is more personal/family.
illusiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #11
fan since the old snakepit

With the demise of the Crocs, Steindl would be a nice pick up to replace Penney.

Still has quite a bit of upside to his game and one of the best pure shooters in the league. They way he runs of screens and his quick release mirror much of what Penney brings. Of course a long way behind in the savvy stakes but that may come in time.

Last edited by fan since the old snakepit; 14-04-2016 at 06:58 PM.
fan since the old snakepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #12
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan since the old snakepit View Post
With the demise of the Crocs, Steindl would be a nice pick up to replace Penney.

Still has quite a bit of upside to his game and one of the best pure shooters in the league. They way he runs of screens and his quick release mirror much of what Penney brings. Of course a long way behind in the savvy stakes but that may come in time.
Nooooooooooooo!
Old 18-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #13
BellBivDevoe

Perth Wildcats lose Tom Jervis.

Illawarra Hawks re-sign Kevin White.

Two devastating news for both teams.
BellBivDevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #14
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBivDevoe View Post
Perth Wildcats lose Tom Jervis.

Illawarra Hawks re-sign Kevin White.

Two devastating news for both teams.
*Kings fans sigh in relief*
Old 22-04-2016, 05:41 AM   #15
the fox
Send a message via AIM to the fox Send a message via MSN to the fox Send a message via Yahoo to the fox

Hawks have signed r martin, c Ellis, m Norton, Ogilvie and k white.
Is bound in shallows and miseries.
W.S.
the fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #16
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fox View Post
Hawks have signed r martin, c Ellis, m Norton, Ogilvie and k white.
N Kay still to come
Old 02-05-2016, 11:32 PM   #17
jjj

Hawks confirm signing of Nick Kay. That makes seven signed and now the search for imports begins. The club's email suggests they are looking for guards/ forwards.
Have heard the club I'll be using the allowed 11 players.
The careers of Demos and Davidson appear to be at an end. Coenraad's situation remains unclear.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #18
DDFan

Quote:
Hawks confirm signing of Nick Kay.
Great signing, well done Hawks.
Quote:
The careers of Demos and Davidson appear to be at an end.
I suppose that's fair enough, Demos had a prolonged/season ending injury, & Larry's do (IMO), was a media travesty.
Quote:
Coenraad's situation remains unclear.
Presumably his manager is holding out to max (his own cut on) a deal. Hopefully, it doesn't screw Tim over, I love his game.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #19
Jojo

Local paper says Rotnei Clarke has agreed in principle to come back to Wollongong. Great news if it's true.
Jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:41 PM   #20

Assuming Rotnei signs the last few pieces are the key to how I think the Hawks will go. A lot will depend on what Coenraad decides but overall at this point we have a bunch of midgets and a bunch of bigs with little in between and no one who can be considered a defensive stud (sure AJ is a shot blocker but not great defending the pick and roll).

IF the money is there to get two more imports then one of them needs to be a long(ish) stud wing who can score (what is Childress up to), defend and rebound and the other could be a defensive minded hardworking but undersized big who wont need to score.

If Coenraad leaves Steindl (despite what jjj thinks) would fit well as he can play spot minutes at the 2 to add size and still a decent upside IMO.

I will say it again that the Hawks have still not addressed their glaring defensive and rebounding issues.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #21
Nerf Herder

You gotta imagine, if the rumours of Rotnei's management holding out for more (deserviing) cash are true, that there wouldn't be a hell of a lot left in the budget after keeping AJ? They wouldn't be near the max, more that they were saying that they wouldn't be spending all the way up?

I'm assuming also that they're skimping a little bit on what Norton and Kay are actually worth and selling them hard on Bevo (again, deservedly)

Even as a Kings fan it's hard not to be excited about him coming back if it all works out...
Old 06-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #22
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan since the old snakepit View Post
Assuming Rotnei signs the last few pieces are the key to how I think the Hawks will go. A lot will depend on what Coenraad decides but overall at this point we have a bunch of midgets and a bunch of bigs with little in between and no one who can be considered a defensive stud (sure AJ is a shot blocker but not great defending the pick and roll).

IF the money is there to get two more imports then one of them needs to be a long(ish) stud wing who can score (what is Childress up to), defend and rebound and the other could be a defensive minded hardworking but undersized big who wont need to score.

If Coenraad leaves Steindl (despite what jjj thinks) would fit well as he can play spot minutes at the 2 to add size and still a decent upside IMO.

I will say it again that the Hawks have still not addressed their glaring defensive and rebounding issues.

So Steindl is not going to Adelaide? Doesn't Kay improve the rebounding just a little bit?
Old 06-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #23

A little but perimeter D still a problem if he plays the 4.

Last edited by fan since the old snakepit; 06-05-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:13 PM   #24
jjj

Hawks add some muscle. sign Michael Holyfield.

http://www.hawks.com.au/featured-new...-muscle-hawks/
Old 12-08-2016, 08:43 AM   #25
BallistiX

So the team as it stands:

Ogilvy/Holyfield
Forman/Kay
Coenraad/Ellis
Martin/White
Clarke/Norton

Smallish guard rotation but I think this team might surprise.
BallistiX is offline   Reply With Quote