TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > National Basketball League

Notices

Old 07-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
RaMarQabLe
Default Perth Wildcats 2016/2017 Discussion Thread

We are now the defending basketball champions of the NBL, but with big off-court changes rumoured to take place in the off season - what will the 2016/17 defending champions look like?

I gotta say, my skepticism on the 2015/16 season was proven wrong. The Wildcats "ageing" core proved they still have what it takes.

The addition of a capable wing (Prather) and the capital X factor of Jawai showed this team still had lots left under the hood to win it all.

Can they do it again?

If we kept the team exactly how it is, and managed injuries then I think the cats would have what it takes to go back-to-back.

However, contracts are up, there's a new team and new salary cap, player point rankings and a third import spot could change things up massively.

While early last season I questioned if it's time to "blow-up" the core which seemed to have plateaued, this season I'm leaning towards the need to keep the core in-tack and build around our guys, as it's easier to fixs gaps and weaknesses then start fresh.

Pretty excited to see what the 2016/17 lineup will look up come October/November.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #2
Alex_Traitor

After Jervis' virtual disappearing act in the GF series, I'm not as convinced he is the answer as starting centre.

Jawai's performance in the deciders makes me inclined to want to bring him back.

I still think he's barely scratched the surface of what he can do when 100% fit.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
illusiv
Send a message via ICQ to illusiv Send a message via MSN to illusiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMarQabLe View Post
We are now the defending basketball champions of the NBL, but with big off-court changes rumoured to take place in the off season - what will the 2016/17 defending champions look like?

I gotta say, my skepticism on the 2015/16 season was proven wrong. The Wildcats "ageing" core proved they still have what it takes.

The addition of a capable wing (Prather) and the capital X factor of Jawai showed this team still had lots left under the hood to win it all.

Can they do it again?

If we kept the team exactly how it is, and managed injuries then I think the cats would have what it takes to go back-to-back.

However, contracts are up, there's a new team and new salary cap, player point rankings and a third import spot could change things up massively.

While early last season I questioned if it's time to "blow-up" the core which seemed to have plateaued, this season I'm leaning towards the need to keep the core in-tack and build around our guys, as it's easier to fixs gaps and weaknesses then start fresh.

Pretty excited to see what the 2016/17 lineup will look up come October/November.
Martin has a player option for next season, can't see him going anywhere (possibly the Hawks, due to Bevo, but I highly doubt it.) There was the story that Martin and the Wildcats mutually agreed to end his contract before this season and then re-signed him to a new contract in order to get a lower points rating, so I don't know if the option still exists or not.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/bas...-1226917455842

Wagstaff also has a player option for next season:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketba...508-zr6so.html

As does Jervis:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/bas...-1226949756641

Hire, Knight and Redhage all signed 3 year deals at the end of the 2012-2013 season, so they are all out of contract.

Prather, Kenny and Jawai were on 1 year deals.

Beal is out of contract, he had an option year which he exercised this season.

I'll have a look at points.

I asked Beal and Prather if they were coming back next season. Both seemed interested but non committal, saying they will see how things pan out.
illusiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
RaMarQabLe

Thoughts on Gleeson?

Two championships in three years. You can't complain with that.

Clearly he's doing something that works.

I think he just rubs people (general public) the wrong way.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
illusiv

Quote:
Thoughts on Gleeson?

Two championships in three years. You can't complain with that.

Clearly he's doing something that works.

I think he just rubs people (general public) the wrong way.
Well he did inherit a team that had a core of players that won a title and had been to 2 more grand finals.

I think the big difference in 2014 and 2016 vs 2012 and 2013 is that Martin was healthy and having 2 imports helped.

Obviously Jawai was a big reason for the championship this season too. Even though he didn't play as well as what people probably expected him to due to his back, he took up a lot of room and allowed Knight to move to the PF, which is more his natural role.

Gleeson does rub people up the wrong way as you mentioned, as he is always yelling. I think also that a lot of people didn't like how the whole Bevo situation went down.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
Plastic Wiezels

So next year looks pretty good...

PG DMart
SG Lisch (as an aussie)
SF Ennis (or Prather if he doesn't want to come home just yet)
PF Knight
C Jawai

Bench: Kenny, Beal, Hire, Wagstaff, Jervis

Redhage retires so he can spend more time with his championships.

Also bring back Brad Robbins son as a development player.

Plastic Wiezels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
Alex_Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Wiezels View Post

PG DMart
SG Lisch (as an aussie)
PF Knight
C Jawai

Who's Brad Robbinson?
Old 08-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #8
Sachmo

i read somewhere that there will be 3 imports next year and you can go over the cap for up to 4 aussie players.

cripes
Sachmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
Alex_Traitor

What wonder next years hashtag will be?

#NBPremierL

#Cap?Whatcap?

#HardBall?MorelikeSoftCapamirite?

Last edited by Alex_Traitor; 08-03-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Alex_Traitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #10
Wild 1

Id be surprised if Martin, Knight, Wagstaff or Hire moved on any time soon. Jervis may attract attention $ and extra court time from other clubs, but hopefully he returns also.

Redhage I think can go another year with cheap salary and points. Think it will be up to him if his body is going ok. Kenny also is a great back up guard who Id keep.

Jawai the main question mark. I would assume he has already got a fair idea of where he is playing. Id bring him back - with a full pre-season this time he may be an unstoppable force next season. I think his addition at the last second took us from 30 straight being in jeopardy to being real contenders.

Prather was better than most expected I think, especially from outside. Ticks all the boxes of what we need and was a massive improvement over DeBacle Daniels. Being more of a guard also was exactly what we needed.

Beal is the interesting one. Inconsistent, but knows the system and the championship may have saved him. A semi final exit and I think he would have been gone for sure. A guy like a Stephen Holt type would be a nice replacement - a bit quicker and able to get to the rack and a better finisher. Obviously Lisch would be the wish, but cant see him leaving Illawarra now.

Can see the Cats running two imports and leaving the 3rd as insurance, especially if Jawai is back. A lot depends also on how the salary and points cap is structured next season.

KingJamesXXIII
NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam
Wild 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #11
Plastic Wiezels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Traitor View Post
Who's Brad Robbinson?
Corbin Wroe
Old 09-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #12
illusiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Wiezels View Post

PG DMart
SG Lisch (as an aussie)
PF Knight
C Jawai

LOL @ Lisch coming back. Won't happen.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #13
Plastic Wiezels

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusiv View Post
LOL @ Lisch coming back. Won't happen.
Mike Dunnigan?
Old 09-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #14
Sachmo

Dunigan would be a great replacement if Jawai runs.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #15
RaMarQabLe

Dunigan, Ennis, Prather and a naturalised Beal. Book it.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #16
Sachmo

Quote:
who comes off the bench?

I'd go with Beal as a combo guard.

Start Marto, Ennis, Prather, Knight and Dunigan.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #17
Alex_Traitor

Quote:
Prather is redundant if Ennis returns who does everything Prather does offensively but better.

Prather the better defender tho.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #18
BellBivDevoe

I know there are 3 imports and likely the doing away with Player Points.

However I would also caution against going out and buying many big names.

If Ennis is willing and available...we take it.

Dollar can become the second fiddle role which I think suits him much better.

Lisch would then be harder to fit in this team because Ennis and Beal would take a fair chunk of the shots. Expect Lisch's numbers to drop.

Ironically....Lisch is probably one of the personalities that would be happy to sacrifice personal stats in favour of team success.

If there is Ennis....Prather unfortunately becomes surplus to requirements, unless we get rid of Hire or Redhage. But this would be a very expensive team to keep, I have my doubts if the Cats would even turn a profit this year going by the poor crowds (compared to the Cats' lofty standards of crowd).

Maybe we could go for a role import # 3? Dunigan would be great but probably more expensive than a role player. From memory Dunigan didn't have a very good post game nor was a great passer out of the post like Nate is.
BellBivDevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #19
illusiv

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ampaign=buffer

Quote:

Marvin said the Wildcats were prepared to let Gleeson decide the length of the new deal.

“As long as he wants, we’re not fussed,” he said. “We like to keep our people here for as long as they want to stay.”

Every player is out of contract and the club has two weeks to re-sign players before the free-agency period begins. Damian Martin, Tom Jervis and Jesse Wagstaff have options in their contracts to stay for 2016-17.

However, negotiations may be stalled by the NBL, which is yet to release full details of its changes to roster management for next season and beyond.

It is understood the player points system will be scrapped as part of the changes.

“Where we have made a mistake in recruiting we’ve always been quite vocal about it and clear about it, but this year, I don’t believe we’ve made any mistakes, so our intent is to keep everyone together.”
Old 09-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #20
illusiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBivDevoe View Post
I know there are 3 imports and likely the doing away with Player Points.

However I would also caution against going out and buying many big names.

If Ennis is willing and available...we take it.

Dollar can become the second fiddle role which I think suits him much better.

Lisch would then be harder to fit in this team because Ennis and Beal would take a fair chunk of the shots. Expect Lisch's numbers to drop.

Ironically....Lisch is probably one of the personalities that would be happy to sacrifice personal stats in favour of team success.

If there is Ennis....Prather unfortunately becomes surplus to requirements, unless we get rid of Hire or Redhage. But this would be a very expensive team to keep, I have my doubts if the Cats would even turn a profit this year going by the poor crowds (compared to the Cats' lofty standards of crowd).

Maybe we could go for a role import # 3? Dunigan would be great but probably more expensive than a role player. From memory Dunigan didn't have a very good post game nor was a great passer out of the post like Nate is.
Ennis will be trouble if he did come back. He got up to quite a bit of extra curricular activities when here in 2013/2014, and his ego would have grown having played in the NBA. I doubt he would come back, but you never know.

Lisch won't be back in Perth. I believe he will stay with the Hawks and Bevo.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #21
Wild 1

My kind-of, somewhat achievable, hypothetical team if the salary cap goes up. Basically Ennis in for Jawai if Ennis becomes a possibility. Beal out if we cant fit this in the salary cap and we get another Aussie in as a ball handler or Corbin Wroe graduates to the team.

Martin - Kenny
Prather - Beal
Ennis - Hire
Wagstaff - Redhage
Knight - Jervis

KingJamesXXIII
Old 10-03-2016, 12:48 AM   #22
Alex_Traitor

Quote:
Ennis will be trouble if he did come back. He got up to quite a bit of extra curricular activities when here in 2013/2014, and his ego would have grown having played in the NBA.
Like what?
Old 10-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #23
illusiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Traitor View Post
Like what?
Getting kicked out of nightclubs, drinking during the week, then the whole trophy in the river etc.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #24
SB.1

Cats fans .... win championship then want to blow up team
SB.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #25
Wild 1

Quote:
Ennis will be trouble if he did come back. He got up to quite a bit of extra curricular activities when here in 2013/2014, and his ego would have grown having played in the NBA. I doubt he would come back, but you never know.

Lisch won't be back in Perth. I believe he will stay with the Hawks and Bevo.
Ennis wouldn't be the only import (Cats and NBL) to 'indulge' off court.

Agree Lisch wont be back. Its interesting to go back on the old Beal v Lisch discussion. Pre-season it was like 50-50, then still around that not far in, then gradually Lisch just dominated it.

KingJamesXXIII

Last edited by Wild 1; 10-03-2016 at 04:29 PM.