TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > Women's National Basketball League

Notices

Old 19-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
Swish83
Default Opals 2016 Rio Olympics

With the 2016 Olympics roughly 8 months away, I thought I'd start a thread to discuss the Opals campaign.

To kick things off - what are people's thoughts on Belinda Snell not being included in the team for the Rio test event last week? Does this indicate her time with the Opals has come to an end? I for one think she probably worthy of another Olympic berth - with the likely departure of LJ as well, that's a lot of big game experience missing from the team.
Swish83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
2sc945
Talking

Heh heh.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA
2sc945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
Swish83

BA have announced a 24 player Opals squad - 50% of those named will comprise the 2016 Olympic team.

Interestingly Jenna O'Hea is not on the list. Do I sense some bad blood? Is she being punished for not committing to the 2014 WC team and lead up?
Old 22-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
2sc945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish83 View Post
BA have announced a 24 player Opals squad - 50% of those named will comprise the 2016 Olympic team.

Interestingly Jenna O'Hea is not on the list. Do I sense some bad blood? Is she being punished for not committing to the 2014 WC team and lead up?
Yes.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA
2sc945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 05:36 AM   #5
Durbansandshark

People as gatekeepers for entry in anything, unless they have no choice, can have long memories...
Old 01-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
Durbansandshark

I'm just now learning that Loz is retiring today from "the love of her life, basketball" due to the regenerative knee injury. That means no more Opals, WNBL, and WNBA and surely we will miss her All-World talents. I'm sad as a fan. Damn shame and unfair she won't get to end her brilliant basketball playing career on her own terms like going for her 5th Olympic appearance in Rio De Janeiro with her basketball substance and leadership. A great player like her is so indispensible for the Olympics and WC.

Yes, Opals basketball will move on from her under Joyce--and they already have a nice taste of life without LJ in recent times and sustained themselves well internationally. But unlike her and realistically, the American women holds way too much depth and skill against the Opals. So no gold again for the Opals as much as I would like to see them soundly defeat My Stupid Evil Pony ( ) in that USA gear. It'll be tough. Thanks Lauren! You fought the great fight and took Australian basketball to the next level.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #7
Durbansandshark

Seven Network beckons for Loz to join new Sydney Kings coach Drewy in the Rio De Janeiro 2016 Olympic basketball commentary like with the Opals and maybe some Boomers games there. Glad she's still be involved with basketball in some other capacity like in the broadcast realm. Hope she make a longstanding career of it:
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/04/...tion-team.html
Old 10-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
Swish83

As much I am an LJ fan, I've always found her awkward whenever she's been spoken to by media. She was never very articulate. Interesting choice, we'll see how she goes!
Old 27-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
Swish83

Interesting to see Abby Bishop omitted from the Opals team to tour Japan next month due to injury (blood clots). Yet, she is over in Seattle right now taking part in a WNBA training camp??

Last edited by Swish83; 02-05-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 28-04-2016, 07:00 AM   #10
Durbansandshark

Quote:
As much I am an LJ fan, I've always found her awkward whenever she's been spoken to by media. She was never very articulate. Interesting choice, we'll see how she goes!
Don't forget LJ does hold some prior basketball sportscasting experience while sidelined with injuries a couple times in her younger days when the WNBL was on ABC. Maybe she'll mature into this now.

Do like the Australia Adidas Olympic basketball jerseys unvieled at Sydney's Circular Quay for both the Boomers and Opals. A lot.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #11
Swish83

Poor Snell goes from being dropped from the Opals olympic squad to signing with a Big V team... A league below SEABL even! Surely a WNBL team will pick her up for next season after confirming her departure from Bendigo... Maybe a veteran presence at the Flames after Ebzery's move to Europe?
Old 03-06-2016, 07:08 AM   #12
Durbansandshark

Shame indeed for Snelly. After that incredible shot against France's Les Bleues during group play in London to put into OT.
Old 22-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #13
Swish83

Rebecca Allen is back in the US, suiting up for the NY Liberty this week. This can only be a really good, or really bad outcome for her chances of Olympic selection, especially with the Opals going into camp tomorrow in Canberra. I suspect she's either been told (1) you're unlikely to make the final team, so off you go and earn yourself some US dollars. Or, (2) she's been told she's a lock for the final team - now go train and play against the best in the business prior to Rio. What do we think? She also played very little minutes in the last 3 or 4 games of their European tour - whether that's a positive or negative for her chances is hard to say.

Last edited by Swish83; 22-06-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 30-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #14
Swish83

Sara Blicavs and Abby Bishop have both been cut from the Opals Olympic squad, leaving 15 players battling for the final 12 spots.

Who will be the final 3 players cut? I am going to go out on a limb and guess Tess Madgen, Rebecca Allen and Cayla George will not be selected.
Old 30-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #15
Dene15

Quote:
Sara Blicavs and Abby Bishop have both been cut from the Opals Olympic squad, leaving 15 players battling for the final 12 spots.

Who will be the final 3 players cut? I am going to go out on a limb and guess Tess Madgen, Rebecca Allen and Cayla George will not be selected.
Can somebody please tell me how Nat Burton is on the roster?? In what way does she contribute to the Lynx, let alone the Opals?
Dene15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:20 PM   #16
Swish83

Penny Taylor has been a 'DNP' on the boxscore for the last 3 or 4 games with the Phoenix Mercury. I hope she is not injured so close to the Olympics. Anyone with insider knowledge? There is no mention of injury in the limited amount of WNBA press.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #17
shotclock reset

Not an insider, but a hip contusion has been reported.
shotclock reset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #18
Swish83

Squad is announced today with word on the street Batkovic is out... my god
Old 12-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #19
Durbansandshark

Now we can confirm that Suzy Batkovic is out (Why?), among other things about this newly-announced the post-LJ Opals Olympics roster. Penny Taylor and Erin Philipps are back for one. Wished both were in London. Kinda nice each players gets large dummy Qantas plane tickets to Rio De Janeiro to confirm making the squad:
http://rio2016.olympics.com.au/news/...ll-gold-in-rio
Old 12-07-2016, 10:21 PM   #20
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbansandshark View Post
Now we can confirm that Suzy Batkovic is out (Why?), [/url]
By my reckoning I would think that Joyce wanted to go with an up-tempo team and Batkovic just wasn't fast enough up and down the court.
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 02:19 AM   #21
Durbansandshark

OK, that could be the case. Age and Mother Time, if I can call it that instead of Father Time, surely played a role in why Batkovic is now off the squad in Joyce's eyes. She's now 35. She is on standby until August 5 in the event of injury. Nonetheless, she is a multiple WNBL MVP. Loz took to Twitter to express her disappointment over her friend missing the cut. Also Rebecca Allen, Abby Bishop, and Tess Madgen were unlucky too despite their own strong cases:
http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...all-team-named

But considering with France in the same group again with the Opals, hosts Brazil to start things with, and very capable and strong Euro powers in Turkey, Spain, and Belarus, not to mention the all-invincible Americans looming should they face them once more in the end, going up-tempo almost track meet-style seems to be the direction to effectively compete to win a medal. But Joyce also seeks frontcourt versatility utilizing the same chemistry from two years ago with the World Basketball Championships in Turkey, saying that "Liz Cambage and Marianna Tolo are better, younger, quicker, and faster" and having the edge now". Got several Olympic debutants but with WC experience. Do the Opals still have the physicality they are known for?

Last edited by Durbansandshark; 13-07-2016 at 02:40 AM.
Durbansandshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #22
Dene15

Shocking result for the Opals. They struggled for most of the tournament and some questions need to be raised about the selection of athletes. I competely agree that Joyce needed to bring in some new legs but he also left out some names that have international experience who play against international superstars on a regular basis. The WNBL athletes really struggled.
Dene15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 02:45 AM   #23
Durbansandshark

Shocked, no doubt, too from my side when I heard. Really feel bad for Penny to end her career on this; her teammates couldn't look at her in the eyes being embarassed and ashamed. She deserved better than this--especially after missing London due to injury (if she was healthy they'd beat France and go for silver). I, like a lot of people here, anticipated them to get another medal. Silver because they can't beat the USA. Those 23 turnovers hurt. The Opals are better than this. Makes me wonder how much they miss Lauren:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympics...16-gqu4gu.html
http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/rio-...ia-basketball/

Last edited by Durbansandshark; 18-08-2016 at 03:00 AM.
Durbansandshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 08:09 AM   #24
Durbansandshark

I additionally wonder had they faced Team Canada (like France did) instead in an all-Commonwealth quarterfinal. No doubt it'll be easier as the Canadians are relatively inexperienced, albeit they will give their all.
Old 18-08-2016, 02:42 PM   #25
Swish83

Batkovic, Bishop, Allen and O'Hea would surely be feeling a little smug right now, and rightly so. Terrible result and you really feel for them, they put in a lot of preparation for this.

I know she was the baby of the team, but Talbot was especially disappointing. She hardly played any minutes, but when she did, she really stunk it up. Burton did not make big contributions, but at the same time, she didn't totally stink it up - would have been better off the bench with Tolo starting. Ebzery did well, would have liked to see her get more minutes against the Serbs.