TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > Women's National Basketball League

Notices

Old 27-07-2015, 01:32 AM   #1
Dene15
Default Elizabeth Cambage

She is at it again. Elizabeth Cambage opted to go to a music festival over the Opals training camp. Apparently she wanted to spend the weekend in Byron Bay before going the team on Monday. Was a year away from basketball not enough? As a consequence she will not be selected for the Australian team for the Japan series.

It's her life so she can do as she pleases but it's disappointing that such as talented player seems to lack interest in her team and the sport.
Dene15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
Clips
Never Forget

I hope they don't pick her again
Clips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #3
Swish83

"I am devastated as anyone who knows how much I love representing my country. But I am a person that does not pull out of things, whether it's a professional commitment, a personal commitment or as a basketballer for my country." - Liz Cambage

Hmmm I wonder what the Tulsa Shock would think of that comment?!

She's such an idiot.
Swish83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
Stumps
Fightin' around the world

Well, she sure showed Rita Panahi why everybody should take women's sport more seriously.
Old 27-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
Clips
Never Forget

Saw on a Facebook news story that a few people saw her there and she looked like she'd been eating biscuits
Old 27-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #6
mattic
Mr. Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish83 View Post
"I am devastated as anyone who knows how much I love representing my country. But I am a person that does not pull out of things, whether it's a professional commitment, a personal commitment or as a basketballer for my country." - Liz Cambage
She sounds like a good, reliable person, not prepared to cancel pre-existing commitments when inconsiderate and entitled institutions issue diktats. It's clear that she's not (as reported) choosing, she's honouring. BA arranged this late enough for her to be double-booked and is laughably pompous about not being shown the amount of reverence it thinks it's due.

Don't let the "music festival" red herring influence you. It's a prior appointment, doesn't matter what it is. Imagine one that you wouldn't miss and you'll have the answer to where your sympathies ought to lie. Should an individual's personal integrity be admired and protected? Or should an institution be allowed to impose it's own ideas of how important it is and the priority it should be granted (when the clash is of it's own manufacture), under the threat of ex-communication?

EM Forster had the right idea: If ever I was faced with the choice of betraying my friend or my country, I hope I would have the courage to betray my country.
I would further hope that such displays of loyalty and integrity would attract more praise from the press and more support from the public, contrary to the current skinginess.

Last edited by mattic; 27-07-2015 at 01:49 PM.
mattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #7
Dene15

What rubbish. I can't believe I wasted my time reading this previous post. You sound like an academic who spends little to no time in the real world. We are not talking about a war or even Basketball Australia's poor communication skill. We are talking about someone who has let a team down on more than one occasion. The Tulsa comment was a terrific example.
Dene15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
mattic
Mr. Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene15 View Post
You sound like an academic.
How nice of you to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene15 View Post
We are talking about someone who has let a team down on more than one occasion. The Tulsa comment was a terrific example.
I am talking about this specific incident. Without prejudice.

Last edited by mattic; 28-07-2015 at 03:19 AM.
Old 28-07-2015, 12:23 AM   #9
fan since the old snakepit

Will she enter the Guinness Book of Records now as the worlds tallest groupie?
fan since the old snakepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
baller42

how honourable that she would not want to back down on her commitment to represent a band. what "band" would pay her to be a host?? no disrespect to Liz, however, a "hosting" gig would be something I would expect from Tully from big brother or another Z lister. I think if she is serious about this and wants to take legal action - this "band" needs to make a statement that they paid her to do this.

Good on Jackson though - her article was spot on. She simply chose a music festival over an Olympic gold medal.
Liz needs to pull her head out of the clouds and realise what she is doing. I hope she was paid the same amount as her chinese deal to be a band host.
baller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #11
Andy K

Its handy the Opals don't need Liz anymore, with the recent emergence of both Francis and Tolo at world level the Opals can succeed without her. For the first time in ages I think the Opals will/can be even better with Liz. All of a sudden the Opals depth seems to be their strength. For so long we have relied on a star or two to keep us at the top level.
Aside from the obvious USA there couldn't be too many other countries (if any) that can field a full team of WNBA players like Australia can now, we seem to have a great balance between Guards, Forwards and Centres too.
Andy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #12
Andy K

errr, ^ it was suppose to be the Opals will be better Without Liz.
Andy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:55 PM   #13
Voice(s)

Quote:
BASKETBALL Australia has rejected a legal bid from China-based star Elizabeth Cambage for reinstatement to the Australia women’s team which will play New Zealand in an Olympic qualifying series later this month.

Cambage was omitted from the team when she attended a music festival last month rather than a national training camp. The star centre, who recently returned from a 10-month layoff with a ruptured Achilles tendon, was required to attend one of two sessions to receive medical clearance ahead of a three-match warm-up series against Japan.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketb...-1227468552648

John Davis (editor, Earth First! Journal)
Voice(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #14
Clips
Never Forget

Legal team? Fuck off Liz, you made your choice.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #15
mattic
Mr. Pink

I hope she wins and sticks it up the fascist BA dictators who think that they take precedence over everything else. The sooner these pompous demagogues realise that they can't issue a summons and command another person to a late-notice audience with their crowned heads; and can't cut someone for the sole reason that their feelings are hurt because they're not being shown due reverence for their lofty position, the better.

It's right that sport is revered in Australia, but its administrators can be seduced by the sycophantic fawning of aspirants and need to be shown, time and time again, that they are not deities. Power corrupts and the sporting administrator is among the most susceptible, often coupling jealousy with incompetence.

Here's an exercise for all you people getting your sad jollies from the disgusting feeding frenzy which seems to give you a mob-endorsed opportunity to indignantly abuse and bully the latest Untermensch: Write down, here, something you had pre-booked, that you would absolutely miss that training camp for. Then I'll judge whether I think it's a good enough reason or not and tell you that you are a lesser person morally, socially and patriotically for not turning up for the first day of admin at "surprise camp".

Last edited by mattic; 04-08-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattic View Post
I hope she wins and sticks it up the fascist BA dictators who think that they take precedence over everything else. The sooner these pompous demagogues realise that they can't issue a summons and command another person to a late-notice audience with their crowned heads; and can't cut someone for the sole reason that their feelings are hurt because they're not being shown due reverence for their lofty position, the better.
They're saying that the camp was announced November 2014 though, so it wasn't a last minute camp decision...
Old 04-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #17
mattic
Mr. Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
They're saying that the camp was announced November 2014 though, so it wasn't a last minute camp decision...
If true, that would alter my opinion. Who is "they" and have you seen any evidence to prove it?
Old 04-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #18
Nerf Herder

Pretty sure it was part of the BA announcement that the notice of the camp had been from November, but I had seen it mentioned "on the line" in previous discussions that BA had said it wasn't last minute notice...
Old 04-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #19
Silencer83
Just call me Trigger ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattic View Post
If true, that would alter my opinion. Who is "they" and have you seen any evidence to prove it?
http://botinagy.com/blog/lizzie-need...te-the-bullet/
Silencer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #20
mattic
Mr. Pink

Nothing I would describe as evidence in either post. The moment somebody produces an official communication is the moment I'll change my opinion. No, you are not vindicated if you end up being right. If you don't understand why, I'm pretty sure we won't get along. But, take heart, you'll have lots of friends to reinforce your skinginess.

Last edited by mattic; 06-08-2015 at 01:11 PM.