TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > Women's National Basketball League

Notices

Old 18-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #26
Andy K

Caps lose by 44pts! I predicted this a few weeks ago just a few posts back in this thread.
Andy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #27
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish83 View Post
What are the time periods these days to come back from torn ACLs? 6-8 months with a good surgeon and dedication to rehab? Maybe Tolo could join them mid season?
pretty sure they would have to change their coach before Tolo would return
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #28
Swish83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj View Post
pretty sure they would have to change their coach before Tolo would return
Go on...?
Swish83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 07:39 PM   #29
Leftfield

Time to make a big decision. Graf must go.
Old 24-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #30
Nowitzki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftfield View Post
Time to make a big decision. Graf must go.
Yup, I feel this possibly should have been done at the end of last season. Playoffs look tough from here as the roster isn't very deep and who knows if or when LJ will play.
Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #31
Andy K

She has had nothing but that frustrated face for 3 seasons, cant believe she is still there!
Old 24-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #32
Nowitzki

Anybody know when her contract is up?
Old 27-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #33
Swish83

Jackson out for another month with a knee 'strain'. They're talking possible surgery again too. You don't have knee surgery for a 'strain' - why don't the Caps just be upfront and honest in regards to her likely return? This has carried on for 3 (maybe 4?) seasons now and is hardly fair on supporters and sponsors. That $1M deal to have Jackson play 3 out 5 seasons has essentially crippled this once proud and successful club!

Last edited by Swish83; 27-10-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 29-10-2015, 07:19 AM   #34
Leftfield

Another blow to the Caps, Hanna Zavecz has announced her immediate retirement after another injury on the weekend.

The Caps appear cursed at the moment, not an ounce of luck has gone their way this year.
Old 29-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #35
Swish83

Sad end for Zavecz. The 13th player cut from the 12-women 2012 London Olympic team, she never really had another chance to prove herself after a horror stretch of injuries.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:39 AM   #36
Dene15

Another thrashing, this time by Sydney. Another day, another big loss. Fair enough they have had recruitment and injury problems but questions need to be asked about the coaching direction at the club. Is the problem that Graf has been there for so long and holds such an influential position at the club that it would be hard to get rid of her?

I have so much respect for Carrie. She did amazing things with the Capitals. The fact that she even coached the Phoenix Mercury proves that she was an excellent coach. But like players, coaches also often lose the ability to change with the times and Graf's coaching style and tactics seem completely ineffective nowadays.

She has done an amazing job by lifting the profile of the Capitals and she is a terrific marketer. Would there not be a position for her within organisation that works more with the club than coaching? Something like what happened with Karen Dalton at Sydney...
Dene15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #37
Swish83

Caps have added former Flames and Fire player Tanya Smith to the roster (whom I spotted in Kings Cross a few months ago with a ciggie in hand .

She was a great rebounder in the league a few years ago (unorthodox, but effective), and is second all-time in offensive rebounds collected in a single game - 16 (incidentally, against the Caps).

I love it when former players are dragged out of retirement/obscurity and thrown into the deep end. I bet a few weeks ago she wasn't expecting to be backing up WNBA players like Abby Bishop and guarding New York Liberty player Carolyn Swords! Will be interesting to see how she goes on a depleted roster.

I do wonder though, was there really no other 'bigs' out there they could have signed. I mean no disrespect to Smith, however, she hasn't been playing in any of the State leagues in the off-season (SEABL, Waratah, etc.) and I doubt she's been playing overseas. Plus, she is 31 next month! Surely there are young 'bigs' playing in the SEABL who would come to Canberra (for free) just to get experience playing WNBL, and who would have just as much of an impact as they will get out of Smith?
Old 12-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #38
Andy K

I remember that game in Townsville when she took 16rbs, thought she had a real future after that but never progressed and seemed to disappear. At one stage I got her confused with Tayla Roberts and thought Tayla was the one I remembered in that Townsville game beating the record. Thought Ironmonger would have been an option for Canberra, all too late now though, I guess Graf is just trying to find a bit of balance to sneak at least one win for the year to save herself from complete embarrassment.
Old 14-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #39
Nowitzki

Another game, same garbage. What is going on with the caps?? I can't believe they are 0-8. They need to blow this thing up next season. There really is only 2 or 3 players worth bringing back. A new coach should be a priority as well.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #40
whenever

Quote:
Caps have added former Flames and Fire player Tanya Smith to the roster (whom I spotted in Kings Cross a few months ago with a ciggie in hand .

I do wonder though, was there really no other 'bigs' out there they could have signed.

Surely there are young 'bigs' playing in the SEABL who would come to Canberra (for free) just to get experience playing WNBL, and who would have just as much of an impact as they will get out of Smith?

Graf has made it plain for at least the last few years that she won't coach ( have in her main rotation ) anyone other than vets. Only wants veteran players, that's it. So as she's either burnt her bridges with the one's she's had, and/or the ones that still love her ( or the pay-packet she delivers) are getting literately worn out, so she's really running short of old thoroughbreds to bring into the stables.

Remember she has never had to build a team with less than a starting five of very capable veterans. She inherited Shelley Sandie, Karen Smith, Kim Wielens and Eleanor Sharp in 99/00 and had 1998/99 league MVP Lauren Jackson, 98/99 Grand Final MVP Kristen Veal and also Deanna Smith in her first season. That's 5 WNBL Premiership winning first five players right there to start with. Then she brought in Lucille Hamilton the next season.

Not putting her down, just pointing out she has never had to develop players (name two - please ), and I don't think for a minute she wants to start now. particularly given how well her attempt to find a emergency replacement PG out of her end-of-bench dwellers went this season.

She has pulled well over $2.1M + out of Canberra Basketball in salary and benefits over her time, and at least another lazy $500k from BA , if she can keep a part time role in Canberra Uni to bring in some pokie $'s , she will choose to retire next year. And Good on her for getting those $ I say, you don't get if you don't ask. She will definitely leave before she gets pushed, she still remembers the WNBA Mercury departure experience, as well as the drama with leaving Sydney before that. look for a quiet "bon voyage" on her own terms in 2016

Last edited by whenever; 01-12-2015 at 09:27 PM.
whenever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #41
WilloWildWaves

As good a player as she is I think the Caps too need to give up on Hanging their hopes on Jackson suiting up and have full strength roster ready to go day 1. How many seasons now have they announced her on the roster and she does not play a game. WNBA is taking a toll on her, she is always unavailable for WNBL when will the Caps realize this
Old 19-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #42
Andy K

Graff obviously wont step down this season, not even when it would be for the good of the club. Its just sad now.
Old 31-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #43
Andy K

Fairfax Media can reveal Jackson has been released by the club after having more knee surgery, ending what was a record-breaking domestic contract for an Australian female athlete but during which she only took to the court six times

I have seen 1 million better spent!
Old 31-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #44
Dene15

A silly statement by Andy K. Obviously it is very disappointing to have not seen Jackson play very much. We all would loved to have seen more of her regardless of what team we support. It's incredibly frustrating for everyone but nobody has x-Ray vision and could predict what was going to happen. Many male athletes have been in similar situations but we haven't seemed to make as much of a fuss about it. Instead of continuously complaining about a female athlete being undeserving of a massive contract, let's try to be positive about the fact that women are slowly getting greater recognition and earning better salaries. I hope negativity like yours is not widespread as I would like to think the next great female athlete in Australia will be deserving of a similar contract.
Old 31-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #45
Andy K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene15 View Post
A silly statement by Andy K. Obviously it is very disappointing to have not seen Jackson play very much. We all would loved to have seen more of her regardless of what team we support. It's incredibly frustrating for everyone but nobody has x-Ray vision and could predict what was going to happen. Many male athletes have been in similar situations but we haven't seemed to make as much of a fuss about it. Instead of continuously complaining about a female athlete being undeserving of a massive contract, let's try to be positive about the fact that women are slowly getting greater recognition and earning better salaries. I hope negativity like yours is not widespread as I would like to think the next great female athlete in Australia will be deserving of a similar contract.
Come On Dene, I think Jackson was an Awesome basketball player but when the Caps gave her the latest 1 million contract she was already massively injury prone and it was a massive risk.
BTW I am a huge supporter of professional female sports, especially basketball, have been for a long time and I would love for female players to get paid more, that's why I talk the WNBL up all the time...more supporters more money.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:39 AM   #46
Swish83

The Capitals releasing Jackson is not a good sign and I guess we can only assume that this really is the end of an outstanding career for her. She was not only the best female basketball player this country has produced, but up there with one of this country's greatest ever athletes in terms of what she achieved.

Whilst I would have loved to have seen her go to Rio (even if she was just a 3 minute per game player off the bench), without a WNBL team to train or play with in this Olympic year, I think it's extremely unlikely Joyce could justify her selection. It's just such a shame she couldn't go out on her own terms.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #47
Leftfield

Graf has just announced that she is stepping down as Capitals coach at the end of the season.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #48
Swish83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftfield View Post
Graf has just announced that she is stepping down as Capitals coach at the end of the season.
3 or 4 years too late, but definitely what the Capitals need.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #49
Leftfield

Quote:
3 or 4 years too late, but definitely what the Capitals need.
Your right, probably stayed around 2 or 3 years too long, but it doesn't detract from her legacy. When she arrived the Capitals were irrelevant, no success only made the finals once and pretty much ignored in Canberra. She played a major role in turning them into the most successful team in the WNBL and Canberra's most successful sporting team and with a strong profile in Canberra's sporting landscape. She deserves all the accolades she receives for the success she's had, but her loyalty to her older players (Bibby, Jackson etc..) and the fact the she stayed too long means she arrived at the Capitals when they won their first wooden spoon and she leaves with their second.
Old 27-02-2016, 05:59 AM   #50
Dene15

Some interesting articles about the Capitals going around. I would love to see Chris Lucas come back as head coach. I'm not sure what value Phil Brown could add. What about Jan Stirling, or has she stopped coaching altogether?

Graf worked tirelessly to raise the profile of the Capitals and made every effort to pump money into the team in order to be successful. It does worry me that Joe Roff is talking about spending less money on Canberra. He may have been a great rugby player but I'm not sure he will add anything to women's basketball. Seriously, having some games at Belconnen and Tuggeranong? Isn't having games in "tin sheds" exactly what Graf fought against? Why not have all games the the convention centre. It's a perfect size.

Focussing more on development is a very good idea. But the Canberra region is small and money is needed to recruit high profile players to boost the team and to add marketability. I would love to see Montgomery back next year.

Canberra may well undergo a rebuilding phase which is important but they can still be a top four team if the cash is there.

Anyways, Lucas is a great option. He's done great things in Townsville and he can tick rebuilding a team and winning a championship there. Rebuilding the Capitals and taking them back to championship glory could be something that interests him.

Last edited by Dene15; 27-02-2016 at 11:49 AM.