TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > Women's National Basketball League

Notices

Old 24-05-2015, 04:19 AM   #1
Dene15
Default Canberra Capitals 2015-2016

Canberra have made a few nice signings. MacLeod, if injury free, should be a good contributor and Ann Wauters is a pretty good replacement for Bishop. I think this will be a big year for Steph Talbot and could definitely be the star of the team. No expectations for LJ. I would love her to be fit and injury-free but I just do not see that happening.

Does Macleod's signing mean Kristen Veal will not be back? I expected Natalie Hurst to make a return but I am not sure that will be happening this year.

I was interested in Bishops comments regarding the future success of Canberra. She claimed "A lot needs to change" for the Caps to get back to where they used to be. It seemed to me that she meant more needs to change than simply signing a few new players. Any thoughts?
Dene15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Andy K

There is no hiding the fact they need a new coach. I expect Canberra fans to start realising this soon. What do you think about Graf as coach Dene?
Andy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
Dene15

That's difficult. Graf has been such a huge part of the Capitals that it would be difficult to let her go. The Caps have been unlucky with injuries but it's been years since Canberra made the top 4 and something's gotta give. Graf was an excellent coach for many years. She coached championship winning sides with and without LJ, she won a world university games title and did pretty well as head coach of Phoenix in my opinion.

I think this is the season she has to prove herself. Another subpar performance and there will have to be a serious review.

I'm also curious why Canberra always seems to be so slow with recruitment.
Old 27-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
Swish83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene15 View Post
I'm also curious why Canberra always seems to be so slow with recruitment.
Because they're always playing the waiting game with LJ. The team basically revolves around whether she is fit or not, particularly in terms of how much money is left over to pay supporting players.

Whilst I would love nothing more than to see LJ fit and tearing up the WNBL, it is my view that Canberra's lack of success in the last 3-4 years has a huge part to do with her continual injury problems. And I don't mean unsuccessful because she isn't physically on the court, but because the club holds out on securing available free agents on the basis that "she'll be ready to go in a week.. a month.. a year.."
Swish83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish83 View Post
Because they're always playing the waiting game with LJ. The team basically revolves around whether she is fit or not, particularly in terms of how much money is left over to pay supporting players.

Whilst I would love nothing more than to see LJ fit and tearing up the WNBL, it is my view that Canberra's lack of success in the last 3-4 years has a huge part to do with her continual injury problems. And I don't mean unsuccessful because she isn't physically on the court, but because the club holds out on securing available free agents on the basis that "she'll be ready to go in a week.. a month.. a year.."
it is certainly why a number of players from the grand final teams left. They were all well aware that the money was going to be gone on LJ.
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 06:14 AM   #6
shotclock reset

Recent news that Ann Wauters has pulled out really puts them in a jam, and emphasizes the dangers of leaving recruitment to the last minute. Now they have real difficulties in finding players of sufficient quality who haven't been signed up in Europe or elsewhere.

Good news is that Lauren is apparently going to be good to go come season tip-off.
shotclock reset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 04:49 AM   #7
Dene15

It does not seem to be getting any better for Canberra. On top of missing out on signing some quality post players, Ann Wauters and now Kathleen Macleaod drop out. They also have not officially completed all the regulations for the Canberra convention centre. This is pretty close to crisis mode for what was once a great womens' basketball club.
Old 15-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #8
Andy K

They might have to merge with Adelaide to field a team this season, both teams look to be short on talent and actual player numbers.
Old 15-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Dene15

I would not be at all surprised if the capitals call an SOS to Vealy.
Old 15-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #10
Andy K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene15 View Post
I would not be at all surprised if the capitals call an SOS to Vealy.
That's very probable, What is Hurst up to?
Old 15-09-2015, 09:19 AM   #11
Swish83

What are the time periods these days to come back from torn ACLs? 6-8 months with a good surgeon and dedication to rehab? Maybe Tolo could join them mid season?
Old 15-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
Andy K

At least they still have 2 import spots left, they should go after a flat out scorer like Angel McCoughtry, her Dream are already out of the playoff race anyway.
Is Bishop coming back?
Old 15-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #13
Swish83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
At least they still have 2 import spots left, they should go after a flat out scorer like Angel McCoughtry, her Dream are already out of the playoff race anyway.
Is Bishop coming back?
Bishop has a contract in Europe. I am fairly sure a player of McCoughtry's calibre - a US national team member - would have sewn up a (well paid) European deal by now as well. She has played in Turkey during the WNBA offseason for a number of years now. The WNBL could only dream of having Angel play in the league.

Canberra are cooked, again, and the season hasn't even started. Write this one off, do a ring-around to a few SEABL players and give em a shot at the big time.
Old 18-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #14
Swish83

The Caps ought to call Kathleen Scheer. Underrated and under utilised at Adelaide. Smart inside/out player with legit height.
Old 19-09-2015, 06:09 AM   #15
shotclock reset

Quote:
The Caps ought to call Kathleen Scheer. Underrated and under utilised at Adelaide. Smart inside/out player with legit height.
Scheery would be a good fit for the Caps. Maybe Emma Langford also? Report in yesterdays Times that the Caps are negotiating with an unspecified WNBA point guard . . .

Last edited by shotclock reset; 19-09-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 21-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #16
Swish83

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotclock reset View Post
Scheery would be a good fit for the Caps. Maybe Emma Langford also? Report in yesterdays Times that the Caps are negotiating with an unspecified WNBA point guard . . .
Sue Bird? She has a good rapport with Jackson...
Old 21-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #17
Andy K

Caps play Stars this Thursday, Will Canberra even be able to fill a team? Website has them with 3 players and Jackson, which means 3 players.
Old 21-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
Swish83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
Caps play Stars this Thursday, Will Canberra even be able to fill a team? Website has them with 3 players and Jackson, which means 3 players.
They have 8 players returning from last season. By memory this (should) include:

Carly Wilson
Steph Talbot
Alice Coddington
Jess Bibby
Abby Wehrung
Hanna Zavec
Lauren Jackson
???
Old 23-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #19
Swish83

Quote:
Sue Bird? She has a good rapport with Jackson...
It's Renee Montgomery. Nice.

Likely the Abby Bishop/Jenna O'Hea connection at Seattle helped to make this happen.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketba...22-gjsd8c.html
Old 23-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #20
Andy K

Its a good signing but Canberra still look like the weakest team in the comp. You would think they will struggle to put up decent scores. I can see teams like the Fire winning by 40+ pts.
Old 24-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #21
Dene15

I don't know. A Montgomery, Zavecz, Talbot backcourt would be pretty strong in my opinion. Under the basket is a different issue. The capitals seriously need someone to assist/replace Jackson.
Old 25-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #22
Swish83

Looks like the Caps have added former player Rebecca Haynes to the roster.
Old 26-09-2015, 05:58 AM   #23
shotclock reset

And now they've signed Kate Rickard as the U of C GM. How many other sports teams in addition to the Caps will that position be responsible for, I wonder?
Old 28-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #24
Swish83

Caps have snared Abby Bishop after she was granted a release from the club in Hungary she was contracted to play for during the WNBL season.

A few package deals in the league this season

Last edited by Swish83; 01-10-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 30-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #25
scooterrich

Quote:
A few package deals in the league this season
Does that mean what I think it means?
scooterrich is offline   Reply With Quote