TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > Women's National Basketball League

Notices

Old 30-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
Swish83
Default SE QLD Miscellaneous 2015/16

The yet-to-be-named SE QLD WNBL team have signed Opals Erin Phillips and Rachael Jarry. Not a bad start! Two of the hardest workers around and definitely two great core players to assemble a team around.
Swish83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Andy K

Bec Allen?.....Awesome!
Andy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #3
Andy K

This is just so great, I'm definitely on board with this team now. Glad I never fully committed myself to following a new team after Loagn collapsed, this new team will do just fine!
Phillips and Allen are both favourites of mine, I couldn't have imagined getting either let alone both. I honestly didn't think Allen would have left the Boomers, she was playing her best ever basketball under Molloy.
Who's next Shane?
Old 01-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
Coachpete
Coaches and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
This is just so great, I'm definitely on board with this team now. Glad I never fully committed myself to following a new team after Loagn collapsed, this new team will do just fine!
Phillips and Allen are both favourites of mine, I couldn't have imagined getting either let alone both. I honestly didn't think Allen would have left the Boomers, she was playing her best ever basketball under Molloy.
Who's next Shane?
A semi decent big and some hard working role players and they're going to be right up there
Coachpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #5
scooterrich

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1227297662885

This story was in the Courier Mail yesterday, and there have been articles in the Gold Coast Bulletin as well.

This is great. I'm in. Will be travelling down the SE Freeway to see some games, and will get my daughters interested in basketball as well. I have tried before but no luck.
scooterrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #6
Andy K

Nadeen Payne has been signed.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #7
Swish83

Quote:
Nadeen Payne has been signed.
Good to see her back in the league. Interestingly, she signed with the WCW last season, however tore her ACL 3 just days after putting pen to paper.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
Andy K

SEQ sign Bree Farley, Now for some Bigs hopefully, at some stage you need to beat the superior front court of Bactovic, Francis and now Novesel, cant see Jarry, Allen and Payne being able to compete with this front court. Sydney had the right idea signing Swords the 6.6 post player with another import to come, hopefully for their sake another Big, it definitely helped them last season. Size Does matter in this league.

Last edited by Andy K; 12-05-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 14-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
Andy K

Sounds promising.....

DeNesha is a 6’3 centre that averaged 14 points, 8 rebounds and 2.7 blocks per game at the University of Kentucky in her senior year and was drafted at number 25 to the Connecticut Sun.

Last season Stallworth played professionally in Spain and was in the league’s top 10 for both scoring and rebounding at 14 and 8.
Old 15-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
Andy K

Anyone know if Phillips, Allen and Jarry will be right for seasons start? All have been injured or recovering from surgery, not long to go now, just over 3 weeks. Usually hear stuff on Twitter but nothing on their recovery lately. I think Jarry is Ok now but Phillips still not playing in LA.
Old 22-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #11
Skindog the Hawk

Send a message via ICQ to Skindog the Hawk Send a message via MSN to Skindog the Hawk

Stars are playing three trial games against University of Canberra this week - Thursday at USQ Toowoomba (7pm), Saturday at Brisbane (7pm), and Sunday at Logan Metro (2pm). It'll be interesting to see how it all goes for them.

SD.
Old 25-09-2015, 06:41 AM   #12
Durbansandshark

Wonder if Shane Heal will get in the faces of the refs from the sidelines as SEQ Stars' coach?
Old 01-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #13
Andy K

The Dealer Trade SEQ Stars Board and Head Coach Shane Heal would like to announce the extended signing of Nadeen Payne for the 2016/2017 WNBL season.

Payne has been a solid contributor to the Dealer Trade SEQ Stars front court, she has provided plenty of scoring punch from the bench and we are very pleased to have her on board for an extended year.

Head Coach Shane heal has praised Payne’s start to the WNBL season and is really excited about Nadeen’s upside and looks forward to continue to work with her.

“I’m so happy to have Nadeen contracted for next year. She has been critical to our teams success thus far this season.” Said Heal

Payne is a Queensland girl and has performed exceptionally well after sitting the last WNBL season out due to an ACL injury.

“Her performances are testaments to what can be achieved with hard work and persistence to have this breakout year.” Said Heal

Payne is very thankful to be back playing WNBL in Queensland and is also keen to continue working with Heal.

“I’m really excited to sign on for next season.”

“I have really enjoyed this season and I love the direction the club is heading and I’m excited to be apart of that.” Said Payne.

Payne is the first player to re-sign with the Dealer Trade SEQ Stars for 2016/2017 WNBL season. Payne joins Amy Lewis for next season, who signed a two year deal with the club. The board and coaching staff are excited about the direction the club is heading and keen to announce some more signings for 2016/2017.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #14
Swish83

SEQ have released their import DeNesha Stallworth and replaced her with Tulsa Shock WNBA player Jordan Hooper. Heal is quoted as saying they couldn't win a championship with Stallworth due to her inability to defend other centres in the league - an odd comment to make considering her replacement is an accomplished 3 point shooter/wing player in the WNBA - she may pass as a 4 in the WNBL, but definitely not a 5.

Stallworth has been picked up by the Caps.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:47 PM   #15
Andy K

I don't get any of this? Hate the decision.
Old 30-12-2015, 04:22 PM   #16
Andy K

The Dealer Trade SEQ Stars have been granted an interim import on compassionate grounds for Ify Ibekwe. Ibekwe has returned back to the US due to her father’s illness. Ibekwe will spend a month at home before she is expected to return to Australia.

The club has signed Jacinta Monroe on a short-term replacement contract while Ibekwe is absent.

Head coach Shane Heal advised a return date has not been locked and that the club would wait to understand more from Ibekwe and her agent.

“Our thoughts are with Ify during a difficult time. We have supported her being with her family in the USA.” Shane Heal said.

“Ify has been a great player for our club and a terrific role model in our community. We hope to have her back before the playoffs if we can make them.”

Although Monroe is a different player to Ibekwe, she will be extremely useful to have as an interim. Standing at 6’5, the Centre player has tremendous mobility for her size.

“Jacinta will fit the style of play that we are aiming to produce and in particular on the defensive end with her ability to rebound and block shots.”

The Dealer Trade SEQ Stars hope to have Monroe in Logan and cleared for the critical match up against the Dandenong Rangers on Saturday 2nd of January.

Monroe comes to the Stars with a wealth of experience, playing collegiate basketball for the Florida State Gators before being dabbed 6th overall draft pick to the Washington Mystics in 2010. Monroe also played for the Tulsa Shock in the 2011 WNBA season

Monroe more recently played in the Puerto Rico league and averaged a double double for the season with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Monroe also led the league in blocked shots averaging three a game.

Come check out the Dealer Trade SEQ Stars take on the Dandenong Rangers Saturday 2nd January at Logan Metro Sports Centre, as the Stars endeavor to make the play-offs in their inaugural season.
Old 28-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #17
scooterrich

So after the Lynx's thrashing of the Fire, do the Stars get a home semi final or qual final or whatever it is called against the Fire? It would be fitting if they did have another home match to have some fans turn up.
scooterrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 07:42 PM   #18
Andy K

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterrich View Post
So after the Lynx's thrashing of the Fire, do the Stars get a home semi final or qual final or whatever it is called against the Fire? It would be fitting if they did have another home match to have some fans turn up.
No, Its in Townsville. Least they can save a few bucks and take a bus!
Old 29-02-2016, 01:57 AM   #19
2sc945
Red face

Quote:
No, Its in Townsville. Least they can save a few bucks and take a bus!
Are you serious? They are based in Brisbane, not Cairns or Mackay.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA
2sc945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #20
WilloWildWaves

That's f@#ked up. Townsville finished on top maybe that why but this should be a home game for the Stars
Old 01-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #21
Swish83

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilloWildWaves View Post
That's f@#ked up. Townsville finished on top maybe that why but this should be a home game for the Stars
Townsville get the second chance (and opportunity to host) for finishing on top. It has always been that way. I can't remember the last time the team who finished on top lost their semi-final at home!
Old 01-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #22
Andy K

I think its fair, that's what makes finishing top 2 so important, its designed so the top 2 teams (the 2 best teams) play off in the grand final. Its going to be a great best of 3 grand final whoever makes it. I win money on whoever wins it from here!
GO STARS!
Old 01-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #23
Andy K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sc945 View Post
Are you serious? They are based in Brisbane, not Cairns or Mackay.
No I wasn't serious. I have done the bus trip....It sucks big time.