TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > Women's National Basketball League

Notices

Old 16-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
Andy K
Default WNBL Finals

Can anyone beat the Fire? Remember they do have the Suzi curse again this season.
It should be an amazing finals series, I don't think Sydney really have a chance but with Penny at Dandy and Griffin with the Spirit anything can happen come playoffs.
I think Bendigo have another gear, especially on the defensive end. We know they can play lockdown playoff defence which I'm not sure Dandy can.
This could be many peoples last chance to watch the WNBL with no coverage next season, I really hope the finals live up to expectation!
For the Fire's sake I hope they win their first ever WNBL title, its great to see record numbers attending their games and membership doubling.
A 3 peat at Bendigo would also be something to remember though!
Andy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
Swish83

What is the Suzy curse?

Interestingly all the top 3 teams enter the finals having lost game/s in the final round of the regular season. No team is unbeatable and I think it's going to be a finals series full of surprises I'm hoping for a Fire championship.
Swish83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 01:03 AM   #3
Fuhrious

Bendigo is still has a trump card, Elyse Penaluna.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/...s-squad/?cs=81

"Penaluna, who is about to return to action, has previously been in Opals’ squads."
Fuhrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
Swish83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhrious View Post
Bendigo is still has a trump card, Elyse Penaluna.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/...s-squad/?cs=81

"Penaluna, who is about to return to action, has previously been in Opals’ squads."
Surely she wouldn't be eligible to play finals if she hasn't played a minute during the regular season? And even if she does play, it could do more harm than good for her team - players take time to adjust and this is finals bball - the intensity will be turned up a notch and she hasn't played competitively for over 12 months.
Old 17-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Fuhrious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish83 View Post
Surely she wouldn't be eligible to play finals if she hasn't played a minute during the regular season? And even if she does play, it could do more harm than good for her team - players take time to adjust and this is finals bball - the intensity will be turned up a notch and she hasn't played competitively for over 12 months.
Does the WNBL even have a finals eligibility ruling? Knowing what our league is like, I wouldn't be surprised if just 'being under contract' to a team counts.

From previous articles she has been training since after the new years break, so I don't think they would be that unaccustomed to having her play.

Fresh legs as well, even to just give breaks to some of the bigs for Bendigo.
Old 17-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #6
Coachpete
Coaches and stuff

Eligibility rules in any comp I know have exemptions for bona fide injuries to contracted players
Coachpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
Fuhrious

So what's it going to be?

Bendigo vs Townsville 3 ? or will Dandenong finally get over that prelim final hurdle? or can Sydney throw a curve-ball and surprise everyone by winning it all?
Old 20-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
Andy K

I hope I don't lose power tomorrow and miss the first final! Cyclone passing me shortly.
Old 22-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
The Option
Default wnbl finals

Not long to go now, the game today should be a ripper contest. What can we say about Dandy ?, maybe ooops i did it again i stuffed a seasons work up... got the members hopes up and......
The Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
Andy K

Wow, That weekend of games was pretty awesome!
Congrats Sydney, Dandy choked bad but Sydney were very good later in the game, Cox is a legend, didn't think I would ever see her influence a game like that again but so glad I did. Wether they lost or not, If I was a Flames fan I would hope for the exact same team next season, I think both imports were solid and both should improve should they play on here in Oz. Ebzery is impressive!, very close to the Opals?
Townsville Unbeatable? Francis looks WNBA ready now, cant wait to see what she does with the Aussie Phoenix, her conditioning program has worked wonders, she looks to be jumping inches higher in the rebounding and she certainly moves faster than before.
Bring on the Prelim!
Old 23-02-2015, 02:25 AM   #11
Dene15

Is it not a little ridiculous that the Grand Final will be at RSL stadium? If tickets for the semi sold out in three days, then surely two weeks is enough time to gather support for the Entertainment Centre. Townsville has a big support base and surely 2,000 seats is not enough to house the number of people who would want to watch their team play. It's also good for the league to showcase such an event in a bigger arena. By the way, I also thought the WNBL had a rule which states the grand final must be played at an arena with 3000+ seats?

Very narrow thinking.
Dene15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #12
A Higher Authority

The Townsville Entertainment Centre houses from 500 to 5,200 depending upon configuration so the venue would not look empty, even if it only got between 2-3,000 people at the game.

However, it may not be available!
A Higher Authority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #13
Swish83

Consideration of the decision to move the game to the TEC is discussed in this Townsville Bulletin article

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...-1227234646353

Also note towards the end of the article, the Townsville Mayor of all people providing some advice to the refs
Old 02-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #14
Andy K

The Grand Final we all expected?
Bendigo will need to improve big time on the defensive end to beat the Fire. It would help if Wilson played like she did against Sydney too. Bendigo look so small this season, even with Griffin and Richards on court they looked way undersized. Richards isn't playing or dominating like she has in the past 2 seasons either, Aubry has gone missing too.
I expect to see something Amazing from Griffin again in the grand final but think the Fire will be far too strong at home and Suzi will win an elusive WNBL title.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #15
Swish83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
I expect to see something Amazing from Griffin again in the grand final but think the Fire will be far too strong at home and Suzi will win an elusive WNBL title.
Suzy has won a WNBL championship with the AIS in 1998/99
Old 02-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #16
Fuhrious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
The Grand Final we all expected?
Bendigo will need to improve big time on the defensive end to beat the Fire. It would help if Wilson played like she did against Sydney too. Bendigo look so small this season, even with Griffin and Richards on court they looked way undersized. Richards isn't playing or dominating like she has in the past 2 seasons either, Aubry has gone missing too.
I think they will be be glad they're playing each other.

There is no way Bendigo will play the same way, or at least in the second half compared to this upcoming game.

Townsville will want some GF revenge obviously as well.

Fitting that it's Bendigo vs Townsville 3, also the last game that may air on TV.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #17
Andy K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish83 View Post
Suzy has won a WNBL championship with the AIS in 1998/99
I know, but with all her chances and some of them with dominate teams she could have won a whole lot more.....I hope she wins another this season.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #18
Swish83

Not much talk on the Boards following the GF on the weekend. How good was it to see McCully go out with a championship after two previous years of heartbreak! It was also great to see Mia Newley, an often overlooked hero on the Fire team, rewarded with the GF MVP.

It was equally as good to see the referees in Townsville blow their whistles when Gabe Richards gives those discreet little shoves in the back on a rebound, or pushing out those hips on a screen. She gets away with all those things in Bendigo, it was nice to see the ledger evened up a little.

All in all, it was a fairly unremarkable match for a GF. Other than the first 6 minutes (when Snell decided to take matters into her own hands), it never really felt like Bendigo were in it. Even with 2 minutes to play, they were down 12 (not a huge margin by any stretch) and it was like they’d just given up. Waiting to play D until they were in the half court, using 20 seconds of the shot clock before putting something up. Bernie even had Wilson on the bench with Jane Chalmers out on the floor. I’m not sure what that was about – they needed scores quickly and their scorers weren’t on the floor. So many awful decisions made by Bendigo players in that second half (particularly from Garrick) that wouldn’t have been made had Harrower been out on the floor calling the shots.