TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > Women's National Basketball League

Notices

Old 10-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
Swish83
Default 2015 WNBA Season

Lots of Aussies in the WNBA next season which is great for women's basketball in this country.

Mariana Tolo has just been signed to the LA Sparks.

In Phoenix we have Penny Taylor, Erin Phillips, Cayla Francis, Leilani Mitchell and Tess Madgen (coached by Sandy Brondello).

In Seattle there is Jenna O'Hea and Lauren Jackson (though the latter likely to miss another season through injury)

In New York there is Rebecca Allen.

In Minnesota Rachael Jarry is going to have a crack and try out for a roster spot again.

Next question is where will Abby Bishop go?
Swish83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
baller42

Erin not going back to Phoenix.
mentioned in her previous article she has signed a 3 year deal but couldn't say where.
baller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #3
Fuhrious

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller42 View Post
Erin not going back to Phoenix.
mentioned in her previous article she has signed a 3 year deal but couldn't say where.
Yep ^

Rumour is the Sparks as well for her.
Fuhrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
Durbansandshark

Diana Taurasi is not playing in the WNBA with Phoenix this year. Her Russian Premier League club UMMC Ekaterinburg requested that she sit out for 2015. That and the fact the club pays her 15 times her WNBA salary at $1.5 million annually (she makes under $107,000 at Phoenix). If I get paid very handsomely to sit out for an offseason, I'd take that even if the wear and tear over the years catch up with me.

Does pose serious issues regarding how the WNBA pays its stars. The cycle of players year in, year out playing in the WNBA and playing in Europe and China shows its strain. It will make it easier for the WNBA's more marketable stars to opt away from the WNBA and just focus on their pay and overseas club. Surely a lot of these clubs are in a position to emulate this to their own players who happen to play in the WNBA. But as they get older, they do need time for rest. Its salary structure needs to change like somewhat having the marquee names obtain the salary cap exemption (think A-League and MLS) while making sure all its clubs are financially solvent. When they come back, they should have their roster spots and salary since people know what they bring for the teams. A younger player fresh college can still be able to develop her game at the WNBA level while the teams can deepen the talent level. Can do both. And the superstar players are so loyally committed to growing women's pro basketball in the US. Even the WNBA coaches make more than its superstars. On the surface, at least, it shows that the coaches have the upper hand in the power relationships. But that's not good for the free market.
http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/1...15-wnba-season
Old 12-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
Swish83

Now confirmed - Erin Philips to the LA Sparks with Tolo.

Boti Nagy today confirming Abby Bishop has signed with a WNBA club, but yet to be formally announced. Any speculation who it's with?
Old 12-02-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish83 View Post
Now confirmed - Erin Philips to the LA Sparks with Tolo.

Boti Nagy today confirming Abby Bishop has signed with a WNBA club, but yet to be formally announced. Any speculation who it's with?
Seattle?? in lieu of Jackson?
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #7
Andy K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj View Post
Seattle?? in lieu of Jackson?
Don't know how keen they would be, didn't really get going when she played there last time, her game doesn't/didn't translate well to the WNBA unfortunately.

Bit disappointed Erin left the Aussie Mercury.
Andy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #8
Fuhrious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
Don't know how keen they would be, didn't really get going when she played there last time, her game doesn't/didn't translate well to the WNBA unfortunately.

The Seattle coach was reported to be attendance for the Caps/Spirit game.

Abby has improved since her stint there last time, I'd be 99% sure it's Seattle that she will be playing with.

Noticed Joyce made a comment about Kelsey Griffin during the game, wonder if he's spoken to her.
Fuhrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #9
TheHammer

Abby is a reserved player with Seattle. If she signs it will be with the Storm.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 01:50 AM   #10
Durbansandshark

Notre Dame star Jewell Loyd and Connecticut's star Kelenna Mesqueda-Lewis, fresh from another national title for her, headlines Seattle's #1 and #3 picks, respectively in the 2015 WNBA Draft. A brand new era for Seattle is in the works reshaping with president/general manager Alisha Valavanis and coach Jenny Boucek now in charge. Seattle has no choice but to get younger with Sue Bird and Loz aging. Neither played in Seattle last season though. The draft picks will help her and give Seattle instant offense. Both will eventually grow and prosper in Seattle.

There was some talk that Minnesota's Amanda Zahui B. (for Bouzokou, in honor of her dad Alex who comes from the Ivory Coast to work in Europe) could be the #1 pick with her size and shooting skills--she hails from Sweden and follows the path that fellow Swede Khadijia Andersson made there in Minnesota and is part of that Swedish women's basketball golden generation--and perhaps find someone to somehow counter Phoenix's Brittany Griner. Seattle didn't. Tulsa picked her.

What's really interesting here is now is Loyd and Zahui might start become standard over time in terms of early entry for WNBA--right now, a women's NCAA hoops player can declare to come out if she turns 22 the draft calender year. Loyd didn't even tell her coach Muffett McGraw; Loyd wouldn't be the overall #1 pick next year with Connecticut Breanna Stewart being the lock for that. So good timing on this for her. Stewy's and Kelenna's teammate Kiah Stokes went to New York. Top foriegn non-US/Canada college based pick this year is Slovakia's Zofia Hruscakova, picked last in the second round by Phoenix. There were a couple more in the third round from the former Serbia and Bosnia. Blake Dietrick from the 31-1 Princeton team went undrafted:
http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/1...rm-tulsa-shock
http://www.wnba.com/draft/2015/draft_board.html

Last edited by Durbansandshark; 18-04-2015 at 01:57 AM.
Durbansandshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #11
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy K View Post

Gone to the emerging Aussie Sparx. could be a good spot for her always plenty of exposure in LA
Old 20-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #12
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbansandshark View Post
Notre Dame star Jewell Loyd and Connecticut's star Kelenna Mesqueda-Lewis, fresh from another national title for her, headlines Seattle's #1 and #3 picks, respectively in the 2015 WNBA Draft. A brand new era for Seattle is in the works reshaping with president/general manager Alisha Valavanis and coach Jenny Boucek now in charge. Seattle has no choice but to get younger with Sue Bird and Loz aging. Neither played in Seattle last season though. The draft picks will help her and give Seattle instant offense. Both will eventually grow and prosper in Seattle.

There was some talk that Minnesota's Amanda Zahui B. (for Bouzokou, in honor of her dad Alex who comes from the Ivory Coast to work in Europe) could be the #1 pick with her size and shooting skills--she hails from Sweden and follows the path that fellow Swede Khadijia Andersson made there in Minnesota and is part of that Swedish women's basketball golden generation--and perhaps find someone to somehow counter Phoenix's Brittany Griner. Seattle didn't. Tulsa picked her.

What's really interesting here is now is Loyd and Zahui might start become standard over time in terms of early entry for WNBA--right now, a women's NCAA hoops player can declare to come out if she turns 22 the draft calender year. Loyd didn't even tell her coach Muffett McGraw; Loyd wouldn't be the overall #1 pick next year with Connecticut Breanna Stewart being the lock for that. So good timing on this for her. Stewy's and Kelenna's teammate Kiah Stokes went to New York. Top foriegn non-US/Canada college based pick this year is Slovakia's Zofia Hruscakova, picked last in the second round by Phoenix. There were a couple more in the third round from the former Serbia and Bosnia. Blake Dietrick from the 31-1 Princeton team went undrafted:
http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/1...rm-tulsa-shock
http://www.wnba.com/draft/2015/draft_board.html
not sure what the value is to a player coming out early to grab the first pick in the women's draft. the WNBA rookie salaries are locked in a very narrow range aren't they? so it is little more than bragging rights surely.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:09 AM   #13
Durbansandshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj View Post
not sure what the value is to a player coming out early to grab the first pick in the women's draft. the WNBA rookie salaries are locked in a very narrow range aren't they? so it is little more than bragging rights surely.
Possibly. But sooner or later, those salaries will have to increase while still keeping a rookie cap of sorts.

Isiah Thomas now back in the loving arms of James Dolan as the new President of the New York Liberty. That's flooding some very bad memories in the eyes of many Knicks/Liberty fans and some women over not just his apparent incompetence the team is still suffering from and that sexual harassment suit. Even Boston Celtics guard Isaiah Thomas (note the spelling difference) had a little fun on this on Twitter with a disgruntled fan:
http://nesn.com/2015/05/confused-fan...-york-liberty/

Connecticut Sun guard Katie Douglas announced her retirement Friday.
Old 26-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #14
Dene15

Elizabeth Cambage has some pretty poor communication issues with Tulsa. She's left them hanging many times and this season tends to be no different. Apparently she has not been in contact with the club to tell them whether she will return to the Shock or not. She has been injured and hasn't played for months so why does she not forward this to her WNBA team? She's a big girl and should act a little more professionally in my opinion in this regard.

I like her game a lot and she is very talented but I feel for Tulsa. I really think they would be best to trade her for someone who might show a little bit more respect to the club she is signed with.
Dene15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #15
Jive Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene15 View Post
Elizabeth Cambage has some pretty poor communication issues with Tulsa. She's left them hanging many times and this season tends to be no different. Apparently she has not been in contact with the club to tell them whether she will return to the Shock or not. She has been injured and hasn't played for months so why does she not forward this to her WNBA team? She's a big girl and should act a little more professionally in my opinion in this regard.

I like her game a lot and she is very talented but I feel for Tulsa. I really think they would be best to trade her for someone who might show a little bit more respect to the club she is signed with.
I was about to start a thread in her name, asking if she even plays basketball anymore...?

Poor communication is spot on - stopped following her on twitter a little while back as I couldn't stand the flood of immature social commentary that spouted from a 23-year old who clearly thinks her opinion on anything and everything is one of the most sought after commodities on the planet.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #16
Swish83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I was about to start a thread in her name, asking if she even plays basketball anymore...?

Poor communication is spot on - stopped following her on twitter a little while back as I couldn't stand the flood of immature social commentary that spouted from a 23-year old who clearly thinks her opinion on anything and everything is one of the most sought after commodities on the planet.
You want to support her because she's an Aussie, and lets face it - she can play when she wants to. But it's really, really hard... she's just so... awful. Anyone know of Ja'mie from Summer Heights High??
Old 26-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #17
Andy K

Ja'mie was my favourite character! Loved (& hated) her.
Old 28-06-2015, 09:18 PM   #18
jjj

never been a Cabbage fan. Apart from her height, i think she lacks most qualities required of a top line player.
She is soft. Has a bad attitude on court (have even seen her stamp her feet like a two-year-old mid tantrum) and is now proving to be injury prone. I think she makes bad decisions on and off court.
She is also slow up and down the court. Apart from that...
Old 29-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #19
Andy K

Apart from that she can singlehandedly win any game playing for any team in any league around the world, shame we didn't get to see her play more in the WNBA.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:34 AM   #20
Dene15

What are everyone's thoughts on the Aussies in the WNBA?
Biggest surprise is how much of an impact Cayla Francis has made with the Mercury. Biggest disappointments would have to be Bec Allen's season ending injury. I have also been surprised by Abby Bishop's performance. She has had some good games but has usually been incredibly quite and often being unable to produce any points as a starter. Is it a height problem? Jenna O'Hea is playing reasonably well as a starter, too but seems to lack a bit of firepower to help the storm get more wins.
Dene15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #21
Swish83

Cayla Francis has had the perfect start to her WNBA career Ė a seven game suspension to Griner allowing her to play more minutes than Sandy probably anticipated. And she really took her opportunity and has played some great games for Phoenix. Unfortunately, now Griner is back, her minutes have diminished considerably. I think she will continue to play an important role on the team though. Madgen has been good with her limited minutes. Iím surprised Sandy hasnít allowed her extra time.

Abby Bishop hasnít scored in the previous 3 games for Seattle, despite starting and playing a good chunck of minutes. If she is not careful, Japanese import Ramu Tokasiki will take her starting place, who has recently had some big scoring games off the bench. Iím surprised how many 3 point shots Bishop is allowed to put up. With OíHea, Bird, Lloyd etc., thereís no shortage of perimeter threats on the team. Speaking of OíHea, I think she is having a good season and is a starter (but on a losing team). However, I think I like OíHea to be coming off the bench in this league and taking on that three-point assassin role, like she did in LA. I think sheís a little undersized and doesnít possess the athletic ability to be a starting small forward on a winning WNBA team.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #22
Andy K

Shame about Allen, she looked like she was going to play a really great role in NY this season, hope she's ready for the WNBL start!
The entire Opals team is now WNBA Quality, not necessarily starting quality but all worthy. Its great to see.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #23
Andy K

Ohea and Bishop are not cutting it as WNBA starters, not even close.
Tolo had a nice little cameo today, 12pts 5 from 7.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #24
Swish83

Tess Madgen has been waived by the Phoenix Mercury. Disappointing for her!
Old 31-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #25
Durbansandshark

Tulsa Shock going to the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex next season. Arlington in the middle, to be exact. Been wondering for years when Dallas will join the WNBA with its women's pro basketball heritage:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...?click_check=1