TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > Women's National Basketball League

Notices

Old 28-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
Andy K
Default Sydney Flames 2014/2015 Season

The Brydens Sydney Uni Flames have re-signed former WNBL MVP and Australian Opals player Rohanee Cox for the 2014/15 Wattle Valley WNBL season.

Cox is the third player to commit her future to the club after the Flames recently re-signed 269-game WNBL veteran Lauren King and boom youngster Tahlia Tupaea.

Cox has played 266 games in the WNBL, including 23 games for the Flames in season 2013/14 – where she excelled. The 2008 Beijing Olympic Games silver medallist contributed all over the court, averaging 13.7 points per game, 6.3 rebounds and 2.4 assists.

It was this form that led her to being jointly named last season’s Brydens Sydney Uni Flames MVP alongside Katie-Rae Ebzery.

“I’m very happy to be back on board with the Flames and I’m already looking forward to playing again with girls next season,” said Cox.

“Karen (Dalton) who has always been there to help and support me, so it’s great to know that I’m going to continue to work with her.”

Flames Head Coach, Karen Dalton was pleased to re-sign one of the teams and leagues premier players of last season.

“Rohanee was an integral part of the team last season,” said Dalton.

“She is incredibly versatile. Rohanee plays in different positions and can defend against different types of players. She also brings great energy to the team.”
Andy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
rooster

Katie Rae Ebzery must be a priority for the Flames !!!
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Pointybits

Katie Rae needs to grab a place in a winning team to prove to the WNBL what an amazing talent she is.
Pointybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
rooster

Flames website says KD has been appointed Flames General Manager, article has no mention of coaching role ? Wonder what is happening on that front?
I guess all will be revealed in time.
Old 16-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
rooster

Now the flames have advertised for a head coach - who do you think should be the new coach of the flames
Old 20-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
Pointybits

KD was directed to tell Poto that she would not be playing for the Flames. 2 weeks later KD was told that her long coaching history has come to an end. Whisper is that a number of name coaches have put up their hand for the job.
Old 23-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
rooster

The flames need to get a couple of good bigs - are there any still out there in Australia or do they have to look abroad ??
Old 26-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
Fuhrious

Flames sign Leilani Mitchell.

http://www.wnbl.com.au/index.php?id=...ash=14c3259d22
Fuhrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
rondo

Have they announced who is the coach yet?
rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
Skink

Shannon Seebohm

http://www.wnbl.com.au/index.php?id=...ash=bc8a28ea33

Last edited by Skink; 03-08-2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: bad link
Skink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
Swish83

^ If that is true, I guess Jaimee Kennnedy will get a roster spot again
Swish83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #12
Coachpete
Coaches and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish83 View Post
^ If that is true, I guess Jaimee Kennnedy will get a roster spot again
"If" ?? I would have thought the article made it fairly certain
Coachpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
Swish83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachpete View Post
"If" ?? I would have thought the article made it fairly certain
Did you click on the link?

Confirmed now on wnbl.com.au regardless
Old 16-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
Coachpete
Coaches and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish83 View Post
Did you click on the link?

Confirmed now on wnbl.com.au regardless
Well no I didn't because it's pretty obvious that it's incomplete. But I did go to the WNBL site and the story was there. So I think we can all agree it's true. Though Shannon hasn't replied to my text....haha
Coachpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #15
shotclock reset

Oddly enough Kennedy was one of the 6 players listed on the teams roster right up until they signed Oliver and Mitchell when her name was removed. (BTW Swish that link took me to a Fire story from round 11 last season?)

Anyhow I hope the Flames re-sign Jaimee.
shotclock reset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #16
rooster

Its good to see they have signed a "big" I hope she proves to be big - not sure the pacific shrink still happens but I hope not
Old 14-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #17
A Higher Authority

http://www.wnbl.com.au/index.php?id=81&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=5171&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=0dffa5de07

A bit more experience to go with the kids.
A Higher Authority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #18
rooster

What a shame Kingi is retiring - great player great person
Flames will miss her.

Their roster appears a little light on for numbers (on their website anyway) with now only 6 listed, add the two imports and we have 8 so there's another potential 4 spots!!
I wonder when they will let us know who they will be
Old 28-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #19
shotclock reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
What a shame Kingi is retiring - great player great person
Flames will miss her.

Their roster appears a little light on for numbers (on their website anyway) with now only 6 listed, add the two imports and we have 8 so there's another potential 4 spots!!
I wonder when they will let us know who they will be
The roster on the Flames website isn't the only one that needs to be updated. It should all be finalized in a week or two. By my count we've only got one spot unresolved at this time but that's pending official announcement from the Flames so I'll leave aside speculation for the moment.

Suffice it to say that larger life objectives have intruded into roster building to an extent with many departures from last seasons squad. Lauren King's absence fits in there. Wishing Kingi all the success she so richly deserves in her new endeavours.
Old 30-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
Pointybits

Much will depend during the coming season on how far away from the bench KD will be on game night.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #21
shotclock reset

The Sydney Uni Flames recorded their first home win of the season last night in front of a very good crowd for a Wednesday evening. The University of Canberra Capitals far stronger and more competitive than the 16 point margin would suggest - providing solid opposition.

Crunch time in the game occurred midway through the 3rd quarter when the Caps had fought back to within two points. Coach Seebohm signaled to the scorers table for a timeout but before that could happen, in the space of two minutes, the Flames leaders managed to take charge in a way that they had failed to do against Adelaide in the previous game when they let slip a 7 point lead two minutes from the end of regulation time.

Almost everyone is aware of the scintillating offensive prowess of Ebzery, and the phenomenal power and point production of Bishop (except Brendan apparently) and these two players rightfully headline the reports of this game that I've seen. Yet there was more to this match than the output of those two superb players.

The fact that the Flames were able to limit Bibby to 1/10 from the field and Talbot to 4/17 says a lot about their defensive effort. But I can't speak more highly of Cox, the other Flames co-captain. In the season so far she's absorbed two black eyes, a rolled ankle, a bloodied nose, a borderline concussion and a possible hairline fracture of an eye-socket for good measure. In this game she sustained an accidental finger in the eye and was then obliged to shoot free-throws when she could hardly even see the backboard. Her performance in that critical 2 minute period in the 3rd quarter was above and beyond what anyone could expect. Sure sends a great message to those fabulous young players who really stood up in this game -Tahlia Tupaea and Alice Coddington.

There was a big slab of basketball celebrity in attendance. BNSW President Daniel Martinez; Steve Carfino; at least two Landons; Josh Childress & Kendrick Perry. There were former Flames players (apart from the ones that now coach or play for the University of Canberra) including Jaimee Kennedy, Mikaela Dombkins and Jamie Samuels plus an array of Waratah Championship Women players and coaches (almost the entire Hornsby team was there and quite a few Norths players as well) to name but a few.

Great stuff at Bryden's Stadium, you should get a piece of it if you can.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #22
Swish83

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotclock reset View Post

There was a big slab of basketball celebrity in attendance. BNSW President Daniel Martinez; Steve Carfino; at least two Landons; Josh Childress & Kendrick Perry. There were former Flames players (apart from the ones that now coach or play for the University of Canberra) including Jaimee Kennedy, Mikaela Dombkins and Jamie Samuels plus an array of Waratah Championship Women players and coaches (almost the entire Hornsby team was there and quite a few Norths players as well) to name but a few.

Great stuff at Bryden's Stadium, you should get a piece of it if you can.
Add former Opal and Olympian Shelley Gorman to the mix as well
Old 14-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #23
Mayor

Congrats to the Flames on qualifying for the Finals.
Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #24
Andy K

Yeah, Congrats Sydney! I honestly thought Melbourne would be the team to grab 4th but the Flames have done enough after a great start to the season, just shows how important early wins can be.
Andy K is offline   Reply With Quote