Old 28-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Observer
Default New Ball

Molten is out and Spalding is in

NBL going Spalding.
Old 28-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Clips
Never Forget

Hmm, interesting that we made changes to align with FIBA, only to go and change the rock. It is being specially developed, so I wonder how many panels it will have...

According to the article the ball will be used in Junior Championships too, so I imagine this will filter through to all domestic competitions.
Old 28-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Mookie

I hear they considered using the Jabulani first.

It definitely sounds like a commercial decision over a performance one. If Spalding is (a) going to shell out more money; and (b) going to increase availablity of merchandise for punters out there, then clearly this is better for basketball in Australia.

Of course, the difference in ball may affect the Boomers when they play internationally, unless Spalding produces a ball that is similar enough to the Molten...
Old 28-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
mattic
Mr. Pink

The Molten logo on the balls in this NBL website article have been smudged out.
Seems a bit petty and pathetic to me. Especially getting the work experience kid to do it in MSPaint.

Last edited by mattic; 28-06-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 28-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Mookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattic View Post
The Molten logo on the balls in this NBL website article have been smudged out.
Seems a bit petty and pathetic to me. Especially getting the work experience kid to do it in MSPaint.
Wow, that's pretty shoddy work. I did notice something in the corner of my eye that seemed lacking about that photo, but didn't realise what until you pointed it out.
Old 29-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
Daevo
Extraordinary Member

Send a message via MSN to Daevo

That is a very shoddy bit of work & it's a bit of a wasted effort when you can still see the Molten logo clearly in a couple of the player shots at the edges of the site.
Old 29-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Dunkin' Dan
Hasa Diga Eebowai

This is such a non-issue IMO. Surely people aren't suggesting that instead of these quick smudge-jobs, the NBL should be spending thousands of dollars getting images professionally photoshopped.

As for the balls themselves, Spalding > Molten.
Old 29-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
mattic
Mr. Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkin' Dan View Post
This is such a non-issue IMO. Surely people aren't suggesting that instead of these quick smudge-jobs, the NBL should be spending thousands of dollars getting images professionally photoshopped.
Meet my good friend Mr. Occam: No need to edit the pics at all.
Old 29-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
Dunkin' Dan
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Quote:
Meet my good friend Mr. Occam: No need to edit the pics at all.
I'd be interested to hear why Mr. Occam thinks they were edited if there was no need for it at all.

Quote:
Spalding is working with its American headquarters on a custom designed ball for the NBL that will be unveiled at the tip-off of the 2010 season on the 15th of October with a game between the Melbourne Tigers and the returning Sydney Kings.
Hopefully by "unveiled" they just mean from the public's perspective, and not the players'.
Old 29-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
Wallitron

Send a message via AIM to Wallitron Send a message via MSN to Wallitron Send a message via Yahoo to Wallitron

Quote:
Hopefully by "unveiled" they just mean from the public's perspective, and not the players'.
The NBL should be trying as hard as possible to emulate the success of the Football World Cup. It's pretty obvious that Melbourne will have to be using it for months, while Sydney (and everyone else) will get it the week before tip off.
Old 29-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
Ricnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
I hear they considered using the Jabulani first.

They'll just paint them orange and stick an NBL logo on them

I dont care what type of ball they use so long as the players like them and they contribute towards skilfull competetive basketball. I would like to see a pattern that is distinctly NBL though. The current NBL ball helped to identify the league with its yellow striping. I'm not suggesting we go to the old ABA red white and blue though !
Old 29-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
jjj

makes you wonder though whether they will go through every other picture in their archive and smudge out the ball logos ...
what a joke. seriously does the new sponsor really expect this. i know you have to service sponsors but does this have to be retrospective.
will the nbl be providing a similar service for all other sponsors... will highlights packages from years past have the fox sports logo pixellated, for instance??
Old 29-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
mattic
Mr. Pink

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear why Mr. Occam thinks they were edited if there was no need for it at all.
Oh, I'm sure there was a commecial imperative involved. Either the Spaulding guys insisting, which I think is pretty lame. Or somebody at the NBL attempting to pander, which I think it pretty pathetic. That's the extent of my no-needingness.
Old 29-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
mattic
Mr. Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricnat View Post
They'll just paint them orange and stick an NBL logo on them

I dont care what type of ball they use so long as the players like them and they contribute towards skilfull competetive basketball. I would like to see a pattern that is distinctly NBL though. The current NBL ball helped to identify the league with its yellow striping. I'm not suggesting we go to the old ABA red white and blue though !
I agree about a pattern.
What things about a ball can make it do what? (Stop me if I'm being too technical...)
Old 29-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
Derek
Not dead

Quote:
The current NBL ball helped to identify the league with its yellow striping.
Not really- it's a standard FIBA ball, European leagues use it as well.

DN
Old 29-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #16
mattic
Mr. Pink

Aw, it was such a lovely story
Old 29-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #17
paul

It certainly gave a point of difference from the traditional, single coloured basketball - which I believe is what Ricnat was referring too. I too hope the new ball isnt just orange leather, but has something unique about it.

Out of interest the Euroleague, Eurocup, Spanish ACB and France Pro A dont use the FIBA Molten ball.
Old 30-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #18
Wallitron

Send a message via AIM to Wallitron Send a message via MSN to Wallitron Send a message via Yahoo to Wallitron

Someone send the attached version to Howie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newball.jpg (77.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #19
Ricnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Not really- it's a standard FIBA ball, European leagues use it as well.

DN
Shows how much Euro ball I watch ! Don't have Foxtel at home
Old 01-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #20
Ricnat

Quote:
I agree about a pattern.
What things about a ball can make it do what? (Stop me if I'm being too technical...)
Remember when they bought a new ball into the NBA a couple of seasons back and all the players hated it, so they switched back to the old brand. They were talking about issues with the way the ball felt a bit slippery, grip was a problem.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #21
mattic
Mr. Pink

Righto, ta.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #22
j-mac

Quote:
Remember when they bought a new ball into the NBA a couple of seasons back and all the players hated it, so they switched back to the old brand. They were talking about issues with the way the ball felt a bit slippery, grip was a problem.
That was a change from leather to synthetic though.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #23
Ricnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
That was a change from leather to synthetic though.
Either way - new ball compromised quality of the game. What's to say that Spalding don't come up with something that acts differently to the way teh current balls do? Unlikely it will happen, but there is enough evidence to suggest that there have been issues with "new balls" in various sports over the years.
Old 17-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #24
Clips
Never Forget

From the link Curious posted to the Bully the other day about Will Blalock, did anyone else notice the Spalding NBL ball?

8 panel, looks to be synthetic leather like the GF7's?
Old 17-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #25
Mookie

Very observant, Mr Holmes.

I don't mind it at all.