TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Old School > NBL Archive

Notices

Old 19-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
paul
Default Lindsay Tait

OK, there arent many spots left on NBL rosters, and Lindsay Tait hasnt been signed once again. He outplayed Adam Gibson in the 2009 FIBA Oceania series and is arguably the best player in the NZNBL. In his time in the NBL he hasnt been a star but has certainly been a contributor.

So what's the deal? Has he decided to settle in New Zealand? Is his asking price too high? Is he wanting to pick up a job in Europe? Is he just unlucky? At 28 he is coming into his basketball prime.

He will likely be NZ's starting point guard at the WCs and get great experience from that. Should Townsville look at him and go for a ballhandling three and a budget 3-4 as their imports? If Rickert's citizenship doesnt go through would he be a good signing for the Blaze? What about Adelaide, sign him as a pg and then spend big bucks on an import 3 who can score big time?
Old 19-06-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
Voice(s)

How much of a cut are you gonna get if a team picks him up paul? IMO he's just a decent role player. Nothing special but wouldn't be the worst player in the NBL. Good solid back up PG from what I remember of him.

The 36ers recently signed Rhys Carter but Tait could've been handy. I wouldn't think with 8 roster spots locked in and just two spots left with no imports yet signed that the 36ers would really consider it but this is the team that signed Cortez Groves and refused to cut him for all of last season so who knows.

John Davis (editor, Earth First! Journal)
Old 19-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
Trevor

I am with Paul on this one entirely. At worst Tait is a solid contributor. I wouldnt be surprised if he had a break out year. I am not sure what the deal is.

Interestingly Davendorf rated him and Abercrombie as the stand out players in the NZNBL. That's ahead of guys like Maxey, Helms and Rickert. All ex NBL import players. Compare his output to someone like Rashard Tucker who is also now in the league. I know it is not comparing apples with apples, but you'd still think that there was a place for him.
Old 19-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
WilloWildWaves

I really liked Tait, he was a great player last time he was in the NBL and I asume he still is a great player. I hope to see him back in the league some time
Old 19-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
2sc945
Melm

The Wellington Saints should lock him as their 1st signing.

Seriously though, the Tigers should sign him, they don't have any quality PG in their squad right now. The Hawks could also sign him if they decide to go cheap.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA
Old 19-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
2sc945

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZNBL
Lindsay Tait 22pts (7/10 FG, 3/4 3pt, 5/8 FT), 8rbs, 5asts, 2PF, 3TO and 1ST in 36m
Lindsay Tait top-scored, top-rebounded and almost top-assisted for Wellington Saints in their crucial away win over defending champions Waikato Pistons which also saw the Saints overtake the Pistons as this season's NZNBL minor premiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZNBL
Paul Henare 0pts (0/4 FG), 1rb, 1ast, 3PF and 2TO in 22m
By contrast, Paul Henare dumped another Breakers-like stats in his last NZNBL regular season game playing for the Hawke's Bay Hawks against the Manawatu Jets, a team finishing 2nd-last in the league.

I honestly don't know why the Breakers locked Henare for 7 years (1st 2 or 3 seasons as starting PG) while keep overlooking the likes of Tait, an Auckland local, the starting Tall Blacks PG and a much better player. That's pretty stupid.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA

Last edited by 2sc945; 21-06-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 20-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
Trevor

I dont want to steal Lindsay Taits thread but 2s has an interesting point Id like to pick up on - The breakers signing Henare when they already have Bruton and plan to get an import point guard is just beyond belief.
Old 20-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
HunterPirates

Quote:
He outplayed Adam Gibson in the 2009 FIBA Oceania series and is arguably the best player in the NZNBL

West Sydney Razorbacks.

Last edited by hellcat; 20-06-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: infraction: empty post
Old 20-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
PyroCross

I'll agree with handling Gibson but best player in the NZNBL? That's his backcourt mate Devendorf, by far.

There are plenty of backup PGs that couldn't compare with Tait's skillset and abilities. I know I'd easily sack Henare and take Tait on in a Breaker uniform instantly. And he, Nick Horvath and Leon Henry will easily be the first signings for a Wellington Saints outfit in the ANBL.
Old 21-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
FaceAndBum

He had 1 flukey game against Gibson.

Hes not a good player, this is why hes not been picked up in the NBL 4 2 seasons.

"Now when I put it down, oh yep I do IT,
And when I put it down, oh yes I do IT,
And when I put it down, oh yep I do IT,
And when I put it down, oh yes I do IT."

Best lyrics ever. also the sound effects, especially the scratching, are just cool. It's like it was made in a ProStudio. $1.69 well spent.

"Your Mum has a little 'look' around the place"
Old 21-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
Trevor

Face and Bum wrote

Quote:
He had 1 flukey game against Gibson.

Hes not a good player, this is why hes not been picked up in the NBL 4 2 seasons.
Thanks for the insight. No seriously, thanks.
Old 21-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #12
Dunkin' Dan
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye of the tiger View Post
I really liked Tait, he was a great player last time he was in the NBL
I was a Tait fan as well, even though he could be quite erratic in his early (A)NBL days.
Would I be right in saying that his most recent stint consisted of some very good basketball as a starter, cut short by a season-ending injury? (Was it Wollongong?)
Anyway he is definitely worthy of an NBL roster spot IMO. Very potent player.
Old 21-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #13
Mookie

I think you're right Dan. I was definitely a fan of his style -- his size at the PG position was always intriguing and interesting to watch.
Old 21-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
Silencer83
Just call me Trigger ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkin' Dan View Post
I was a Tait fan as well, even though he could be quite erratic in his early (A)NBL days.
Would I be right in saying that his most recent stint consisted of some very good basketball as a starter, cut short by a season-ending injury? (Was it Wollongong?)
Anyway he is definitely worthy of an NBL roster spot IMO. Very potent player.
That is certainly not how I saw his time at Wollongong, but might be correct.

This article suggests that you correct about season ending injury. Tait

I remember thinking that he looked like a turnover waiting to happen, a mix of Corey William's like charging and feet moving faster than his hands making travels more likely. In one of his games against the Wildcats I remember thinking that the Hawks looked better with Rhys Martin at the point. This was in Martin's first year at the Gong and before he looked like a rabbit caught in the spotlights.

Each to their own, and his NZNBL stats are very convincing, but I can definitely see why coaches may have thought twice about recruiting him.

Last edited by Silencer83; 21-06-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 21-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
2sc945
Thumbs up

Lindsay Tait is also the assist champion of the current NZNBL regular season with 7.1apg.

TFRENBAA
Old 21-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #16
damizo

1st year with Woolongong was going well until season ending injury.
Next year due to personell changes he didn't see the time of day - and when he did it was intermitent etc. That is coaches perogative. Not necessarily the best use.

In the NZ league he is given the opportunity to play and that he does. This includes many imports and Australian players over the years.

He should be the starting point for the Tall Blacks, and if so hopefully will have a chance to show people what he does. All going well he WILL pick up a contract somewhere.

He took out 1 season from the league and the 1 flukey game against Gibson is the game that qualified NZ as no1 seed for Oceania and NZ biggest win against Australia (we won't go there)

It would be great to see him play in the ANBL again. Will keep an eye open.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #17
Trevor

In the NZNBL finals tonite - Lindsay Tait proved what many of us already knew. He belongs in the ANBL. No question.

Throw away the keys, let him run a team.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #18
paul

Does anyone remember Tait's points ranking? I think the Breakers are sitting on 45 points with 8 players signed. If they decided to release Webster due to his drugs incident they could sign Tait and two imports if Tait is a 6.

More likely is they could choose to sign Tait and spend big on a stud import for the 4/5 spot. Wouldnt be a bad option and would give them 10/12 Kiwis. We will see though.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #19
Trevor

Paul

Another option is to release Henare. Henare is a good back up player, but Tait just does stuff Henare can only dream of.

Of course this would never happen, nor would it work with lemonhead.

Tait and Abercrombie just went toe to toe in the finals. Davenoff, was ok, pretty one dimensional if you ask me. I know he was coming off an injury and id like to hear from dudes who saw him play during NZNBL season, but on what I saw, Tait is man. If D is worthy of an import spot, Tait is worthy of 2 nationalised spots.

Another guy who impressed me was Leon Henry

To be honest I was more thinking of teams other than the Breakers when I mentioned Tait. I dont see them waiving Webster, he is like a 1 point player. I would have thought it was make or break for Webster this year, but I am probably wrong, I thought Lemonhead was make or break 3 years ago.

I think the guy who could work in the Breakers line up is Josh Pace, and I think it would be a good call.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #20
curious
Watching TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Does anyone remember Tait's points ranking? I think the Breakers are sitting on 45 points with 8 players signed. If they decided to release Webster due to his drugs incident they could sign Tait and two imports if Tait is a 6.

More likely is they could choose to sign Tait and spend big on a stud import for the 4/5 spot. Wouldnt be a bad option and would give them 10/12 Kiwis. We will see though.
Tait was a 6.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #21
boz_novocastrian
Send a message via MSN to boz_novocastrian

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/articl...=newsmain,nrhl

About Webster and the aforementioned drugs test

So Far 2 Taranaki Players have made in to the NBL:
Jeremiah Trueman - Breakers
Dillon Boucher - Breakers

With one still playing in the league:
Jeremiah Trueman - Breakers

C'mon Taranaki we want some more from the region make it to the nbl
Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #22
paul

Great to hear Tait has been invited to train with the Breakers (Voices it looks like I might get my cut afterall). He would fit well with Bruton, Penney, Henare and Webster in the backcourt, and would allow them more money for a dominant big import (if Marks doesnt eventuate) than a Braswell or another combo guard import.

Marks, Vukona, Penney, Tait, Bruton
Pledger, Boucher, Abercrombie, Webster, Henare + BJ Anthony

It couldnt really get much better than that for Kiwi hoops fans - you could say Dickel for Bruton but I think the Maori/Polynesean fans prefer CJ! At least the Kiwi fans would still have Lemanis to blame if all the NZ talent doesnt perform!!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #23
PyroCross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Paul

Another option is to release Henare. Henare is a good back up player, but Tait just does stuff Henare can only dream of.

Of course this would never happen, nor would it work with lemonhead.

Tait and Abercrombie just went toe to toe in the finals. Davenoff, was ok, pretty one dimensional if you ask me. I know he was coming off an injury and id like to hear from dudes who saw him play during NZNBL season, but on what I saw, Tait is man. If D is worthy of an import spot, Tait is worthy of 2 nationalised spots.

Another guy who impressed me was Leon Henry

To be honest I was more thinking of teams other than the Breakers when I mentioned Tait. I dont see them waiving Webster, he is like a 1 point player. I would have thought it was make or break for Webster this year, but I am probably wrong, I thought Lemonhead was make or break 3 years ago.

I think the guy who could work in the Breakers line up is Josh Pace, and I think it would be a good call.
Horvath / Iti
Frank / Cameron
Henry / [Import - can play the 4]
[Import] / McLean
Tait / Martin / Bishop (DP)

Sign the Saints up right now, they'll at least be competitive.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #24
paul

That team would get smashed. Horvath and Frank are fringe NBLers at best, and there isnt a single proven NBL gun in the lineup, and I would say only Tait has the potential to reach that level.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #25
Mookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
That team would get smashed. Horvath and Frank are fringe NBLers at best, and there isnt a single proven NBL gun in the lineup, and I would say only Tait has the potential to reach that level.
Oh, I don't know... I hear that [Import] is pretty good!