Go Back   TheBoards > Old School > NBL Archive

Notices

Old 13-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #26
Clips
Never Forget

Is the backboard classed as a support?
Old 13-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #27
Wallitron

Send a message via AIM to Wallitron Send a message via MSN to Wallitron Send a message via Yahoo to Wallitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skindog the Hawk View Post
but that is all about a shot touching the ring, not getting lodged in the support.
I don't get it, I've never seen the ball get lodged in the support on a modern ring. It gets wedged between the ring and the backboard. When you say support, are you talking about those old playground rings?

I can understand if that's the case, because this isn't really part of the ring, it is part of the structure.
Old 14-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #28
Skindog the Hawk

Send a message via ICQ to Skindog the Hawk Send a message via MSN to Skindog the Hawk

When the rule states "lodges on the basket support", that is the same as getting lodged between the ring & the backboard, which is the situation we've been talking about.

SD.
Old 14-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #29
Wallitron

Send a message via AIM to Wallitron Send a message via MSN to Wallitron Send a message via Yahoo to Wallitron

Quote:
When the rule states "lodges on the basket support", that is the same as getting lodged between the ring & the backboard, which is the situation we've been talking about.
That's funny, because in 29.1.1 they don't mention basket support, just the ring. It seems strange that they'd use the term basket support in one place, and ring in the other, when you say they are interchangeable. Is it a shot clock reset when the ball hits the basket support (not the ring) and doesn't get lodged?
Old 14-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #30
patm

I think it all just goes to prove my view that there are too many rules in basketball
Old 14-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #31
Skindog the Hawk

Send a message via ICQ to Skindog the Hawk Send a message via MSN to Skindog the Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallitron View Post
That's funny, because in 29.1.1 they don't mention basket support, just the ring. It seems strange that they'd use the term basket support in one place, and ring in the other, when you say they are interchangeable. Is it a shot clock reset when the ball hits the basket support (not the ring) and doesn't get lodged?
I think we're getting hung up on semantics here to be honest.

Let's keep it simple...ball hits the ring, reset. Ball lodges in the ring, jump ball situation.

SD.
Old 14-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #32
Wallitron

Quote:
Let's keep it simple.
My interpretation is even more simple. Ball touches ring, reset.
Old 14-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #33
Clips
Never Forget

Funnily enough, this happened in the Suns v Nuggs game today.

Clock was reset.
Old 14-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #34
Skindog the Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clips View Post
Funnily enough, this happened in the Suns v Nuggs game today.

Clock was reset.
NBA plays by a different set of rules to the rest of the world (if we haven't figured that out already!)...I wouldn't put too much stock in that part of what they do.

SD.
Old 14-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #35
Clips
Never Forget

Quote:
NBA plays by a different set of rules to the rest of the world (if we haven't figured that out already!)...I wouldn't put too much stock in that part of what they do.

SD.
Definitely, but like us, they have no reset when the offensive team retains possession on a jump ball situation.
Old 15-04-2010, 12:38 AM   #36
Skindog the Hawk

Quote:
Definitely, but like us, they have no reset when the offensive team retains possession on a jump ball situation.
Yup, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had different rules for this situation specifically.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me under either set of rules if you'd have referees give a reset on the premise that the ball had hit the ring.

SD.
Old 15-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #37
Clips
Never Forget

Quote:
Yup, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had different rules for this situation specifically.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me under either set of rules if you'd have referees give a reset on the premise that the ball had hit the ring.

SD.
I'd have no problem as an opposing coach.
Old 15-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #38
Skindog the Hawk

Quote:
I'd have no problem as an opposing coach.
I'd have a problem if I was the opposing coach and the game clock was below 24 and my players hadn't had the chance to grab the offensive board.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #39
Clips
Never Forget

This happened last night late in the 4th quarter of a Premier League game when there was 1 point in it.

To his credit, the referee got the call right without any hesitation or referring to his partner for help.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #40
Skindog the Hawk

Quote:
This happened last night late in the 4th quarter of a Premier League game when there was 1 point in it.

To his credit, the referee got the call right without any hesitation or referring to his partner for help.
Good to see. We had our grand finals last night and we had that situation occur...not having a shot clock helps, however when I asked all 3 officials they all gave the same answer - if there was a shot clock they would not have reset it.

SD.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #41
Wallitron

Quote:
if there was a shot clock they would not have reset it.
I'm still not convinced. The rule book isn't conclusive, so unless you have a specific official interpretation, I'm agreeing with your subordinates.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #42
Julian

Last weekend on SportsCenter I saw a brief highlight from the WNBA where, after a shot, the ball landed on top of the base between the ring and backboard, and remained there. Ruling?
Old 12-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #43
Clips
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Last weekend on SportsCenter I saw a brief highlight from the WNBA where, after a shot, the ball landed on top of the base between the ring and backboard, and remained there. Ruling?
No reset

I would imagine it would be the same as if the ball was lodged between the ring and the board.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #44
Skindog the Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallitron View Post
I'm still not convinced. The rule book isn't conclusive, so unless you have a specific official interpretation, I'm agreeing with your subordinates.
LOLZ...and I'll be agreeing with my superiors who gave me that interpretation
Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #45
Southern Joe
1 2 3 ... 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post

... Going by a Warner Wolf "Play Of The week" I saw about 20 yrs ago ...... its a jump ball .... or the friggin possession arrow crap.

InkSpot Preston Market
Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #46
Wallitron

Quote:
LOLZ...and I'll be agreeing with my superiors who gave me that interpretation
Superior referee. Now that's an oxymoron.
Old 28-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #47
bryon

I was amazed the rules result in the oucome now accepted as 'correct' and while investigating myself I noted the following in FIBA's Official Basketball Rules 2010 - Official Interpretations which are a little more enlighening than the rules themselves. Sorry if that's already been posted:

ART. 12 JUMP BALL AND ALTERNATING POSSESSION

Statement 2

Whenever a live ball lodges between the ring and the backboard, unless between free throws, it is a jump ball situation resulting in an alternating possession throw-in. As this does not result in a rebound situation, it is not considered as having the same influence on the game as when the ball simply touches the ring. Therefore if the team that was in control of the ball before it lodged between the ring and the backboard is entitled to the throw-in it shall have only the remaining time on the twenty-four (24) second clock as in any other jump ball situation.

Example 1:

On a shot for a field goal by A4 the ball lodges between the ring and the backboard. Team A is entitled to a throw-in under the alternating possession procedure.

Interpretation:

After the throw-in team A has only the remaining time on the twenty-four (24) second clock.

Example 2:

While the ball is in the air on A4ís shot for a field goal the twenty-four (24) second clock expires, followed by the ball lodging between the ring and the backboard. Team A is entitled to a throw-in under the alternating possession procedure.

Interpretation:

As team A has no remaining time on the twenty-four (24) second clock a twenty-four (24) second violation has occurred. Team B is entitled to a throw-in. Team A shall not lose its right to the next alternating possession throw-in at the next jump ball situation.