TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Old School > High Stakes Hoops

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #26
Clips
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg View Post
I don't think anyone could be particularly surprised by this. You'd have to be a pretty optimistic numpty to think that the competition would have any prestige over the NBL, and that isn't great.

I think if it goes ahead again, the standard will be higher and the players better looked after. The emphasis here was on the prize money. If this thing does take off and attract sponsors, and more importantly, any sort of crowd, those little benefits will come too.

It did look like quite a fun week for many players, and now that we've seen a well coached team take it all, the benchmark has been raised already. I'm sure there's quite a few overseas players who have gone home slightly embarrassed after expecting the win in this little bush league to be something of a lock.
Oh I agree, I just thought it was funny that the starters were taking the court, only to have one or two go back and have coach pull a tag off the shirt. It really did suggest that they were given a uniform in a plastic bag just before running out.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #27
FaceAndBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal View Post
No one was expecting prestige over the NBL. Do you think it's reasonable to invite people to play then not make arrangements to feed them while they're there? We're not talking about superstars here but guys who took time off work to go and play then had to pay out of their own pocket for basic necessities.
The cop out excuse given by the organisers for everything that wasn't done was "The team owners are meant to take care of that" As I've said, some did it and did it well. Others didn't and left their players in the lurch.
That what goes on in the real world these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clips View Post
Oh I agree, I just thought it was funny that the starters were taking the court, only to have one or two go back and have coach pull a tag off the shirt. It really did suggest that they were given a uniform in a plastic bag just before running out.
Forgetting to take off a tag, whats so funny about that?. The way the coach took them off?. Or the running style of the players going over to the coach to take them off?.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #28
Voice(s)

Boti's wrap up of the final:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1225852598682

HIGH STAKES HOOPS FINAL

Rays 95 (Lisch 23, Gibson 20, Ronaldson 15, Crawford 11, Robinson 10) d Coasters 81 (Ratzch 17, Davidson 11, McDonald, Lampley 10).

Game-breaker (3-pt shoot-out) winner: Willie Farley (Fleet).

Also good to hear the tournament looks likely to be back. All up I thought it was an excellent tournament with a few things to iron out like ticket pricing but hopefully it becomes an annual event. Gives great exposure to both imports and Aussies trying to crack the NBL and I thought the standard of play (especially from the Rays & Fleet) was exceptional and was surprised by the level of sponsorship which all bodes well for the NBL. Well done to everyone involved.

John Davis (editor, Earth First! Journal)
Old 12-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #29
illusiv
Send a message via ICQ to illusiv Send a message via MSN to illusiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal View Post
No one was expecting prestige over the NBL. Do you think it's reasonable to invite people to play then not make arrangements to feed them while they're there? We're not talking about superstars here but guys who took time off work to go and play then had to pay out of their own pocket for basic necessities.
The cop out excuse given by the organisers for everything that wasn't done was "The team owners are meant to take care of that" As I've said, some did it and did it well. Others didn't and left their players in the lurch.
Up to the team owners. No different to any other team who flies imports over. Players should have checked those things out before coming out.