10 Mike Helms *
11 Bennett Davison **
15 Sean Lampley **
12 Luke McMillan
13 Kevin Ratzch
4 Brad Davidson
7 Darren Ng
9 Derrick McDonald
L 83-104 vs. Rays, W 128-114 vs. Pythons, W 112-111 vs. Reef, W 110-100 vs. Fleet
Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
angry ant

Apparently the first 150 people at the HSH final tomorrow to say "elite" at the box office get in free. After that they will get in for the low price of 14.95.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Dunkin' Dan
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry ant View Post
After that they will get in for the low price of 14.95.
LOL ... as if there will be more than 150 people showing up.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
jjj

what do the teams get as far as the cash pool. i understand the teams that did not make the semi finals got nothing
Old 10-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
Voice(s)

I can't remember the exact figures JVG said the other day but it was something like the winning team gets $175K, runner up about $25K and the two losing SF teams each get $12K or $13K

John Davis (editor, Earth First! Journal)
Old 11-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
DodgeTaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj View Post
what do the teams get as far as the cash pool. i understand the teams that did not make the semi finals got nothing
Not correct, top 6 teams actually get paid, its only 7th and 8th that receive no money.

Prize payouts are:

1st $175K
2nd $23K
3rd $16K
4th $14K
5th $12K
6th $10K
Old 11-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
A Higher Authority

Just in case this happens again next year, is there a salary cap as such (or other restrictions) for a team or can you just bring in every stud you can find for one team and promise them a share of $175K?
Old 11-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
fan since the old snakepit

The only cap is the "TOOL" cap of two per team. It works. It prevented Lampley, Hodge and Tucker all playing together.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
Prodigal

As far as "allocation of funds" goes, from what I've heard there's been some major dicrepancies. Apparently some teams were looked after by their owners to the tune of video sessions, team buses, team dinners at nice restaurants etc etc. Others weren't so lucky with shuttle buses, buy your own meals apart from breakfast....and wash you own f*&king uniform in your bath tub after every game. There'll be some who wont front up again after it costing them money to be there.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
Mr bEn

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry ant View Post
Apparently the first 150 people at the HSH final tomorrow to say "elite" at the box office get in free. After that they will get in for the low price of 14.95.
Apparently if you say "footlocker" you get in as well :P

Maybe "fidelio" would work as well ....
Ozhoops Group Ranking - 30th
League - Ozhoops 1 - 8th
Old 11-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #11
Clips
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal View Post
As far as "allocation of funds" goes, from what I've heard there's been some major dicrepancies. Apparently some teams were looked after by their owners to the tune of video sessions, team buses, team dinners at nice restaurants etc etc. Others weren't so lucky with shuttle buses, buy your own meals apart from breakfast....and wash you own f*&king uniform in your bath tub after every game. There'll be some who wont front up again after it costing them money to be there.
care to drop any team names?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
GordonG

Just watching my first game of the series (the GF) and it's kinda underwhelming...
Old 11-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #13
Glenn
Send a message via MSN to Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonG View Post
Just watching my first game of the series (the GF) and it's kinda underwhelming...
As mentioned elsewhere looks like a Nike Summerleague game, and the intensity to match.

March 24th 2010, The Re-birth of the Sydney Kings.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
Clips
Never Forget

"you can help me count him down, you've got nothing better to do"

Steve sums it up well.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
Clips
Never Forget

Judging by Matt Shanahan's nipples through his white shirt, he's very happy with the win.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #16
Silencer83
Just call me Trigger ;)

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Wildcats lite beat the Tigers lite.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #17
curious
Watching TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonG View Post
Certainly the concept needs improving.
Too many chumps.
Not exciting enough to capture any new fans, and unless they do change the format, I for one won't be watching it again. If it ever goes again next season.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #18
Dunkin' Dan
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer83 View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Wildcats lite beat the Tigers lite.
Me too.
Congrats to the RaysareCats

Wish Cole could have kept a lid on his Lisch lovefest though. I could feel his price go up an extra $5k every time he started on one of his gushes

I enjoyed the tournament. Only disappointments were the lack of crowd support and the lack of bitrate allocated to the OneDigital broadcast stream. I really should have recorded the OneHD version.

$175k is a helluva nice cash prize for a week's work. Enjoy it, fellas!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #19
Prodigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clips View Post
care to drop any team names?
I was referring specifically to one of the poorer performed teams. Hardly surprising considering their roster. Their performance is irrelevant though. If you're going to invite players to something like this then treat them shabbily it's poor form.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #20
Clips
Never Forget

Quote:
I was referring specifically to one of the poorer performed teams. Hardly surprising considering their roster. Their performance is irrelevant though. If you're going to invite players to something like this then treat them shabbily it's poor form.
If it's the same team I'm thinking, I'm sure I saw them pulling the swing tags off their green uniforms AFTER the warm up on first day.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:10 AM   #21
jjj

Quote:
Judging by Matt Shanahan's nipples through his white shirt, he's very happy with the win.
nah the air con was up too high
Old 12-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #22
meg
really hot chix

Quote:
If it's the same team I'm thinking, I'm sure I saw them pulling the swing tags off their green uniforms AFTER the warm up on first day.
I don't think anyone could be particularly surprised by this. You'd have to be a pretty optimistic numpty to think that the competition would have any prestige over the NBL, and that isn't great.

I think if it goes ahead again, the standard will be higher and the players better looked after. The emphasis here was on the prize money. If this thing does take off and attract sponsors, and more importantly, any sort of crowd, those little benefits will come too.

It did look like quite a fun week for many players, and now that we've seen a well coached team take it all, the benchmark has been raised already. I'm sure there's quite a few overseas players who have gone home slightly embarrassed after expecting the win in this little bush league to be something of a lock.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #23
Prodigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg View Post
I don't think anyone could be particularly surprised by this. You'd have to be a pretty optimistic numpty to think that the competition would have any prestige over the NBL, and that isn't great.

I think if it goes ahead again, the standard will be higher and the players better looked after. The emphasis here was on the prize money. If this thing does take off and attract sponsors, and more importantly, any sort of crowd, those little benefits will come too.

It did look like quite a fun week for many players, and now that we've seen a well coached team take it all, the benchmark has been raised already. I'm sure there's quite a few overseas players who have gone home slightly embarrassed after expecting the win in this little bush league to be something of a lock.
No one was expecting prestige over the NBL. Do you think it's reasonable to invite people to play then not make arrangements to feed them while they're there? We're not talking about superstars here but guys who took time off work to go and play then had to pay out of their own pocket for basic necessities.
The cop out excuse given by the organisers for everything that wasn't done was "The team owners are meant to take care of that" As I've said, some did it and did it well. Others didn't and left their players in the lurch.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #24
meg
really hot chix

Quote:
No one was expecting prestige over the NBL. Do you think it's reasonable to invite people to play then not make arrangements to feed them while they're there? We're not talking about superstars here but guys who took time off work to go and play then had to pay out of their own pocket for basic necessities.
The cop out excuse given by the organisers for everything that wasn't done was "The team owners are meant to take care of that" As I've said, some did it and did it well. Others didn't and left their players in the lurch.
This was pretty different to an NBL game though, in the sense that it was a week long contest about money.
Most people who compete in this sort of thing have to pay their own way, from someone's teenage daughter travelling overseas for a dancing competition, to national sporting representatives...ever bought a ticket in a raffle to help the Paralympians get to their goal? Those ordinary people need to take leave from work to attend these things...why are basketballers any different?

Anyone who didn't bother to check out the terms and conditions before they got on a plane or joined a team are pretty silly if they think they got stung (unless these things, of course, were arranged beforehand and then withdrawn)
In the scheme of things, these guys aren't stars. They shouldn't expect to be treated like one.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #25
Prodigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg View Post
This was pretty different to an NBL game though, in the sense that it was a week long contest about money.
Most people who compete in this sort of thing have to pay their own way, from someone's teenage daughter travelling overseas for a dancing competition, to national sporting representatives...ever bought a ticket in a raffle to help the Paralympians get to their goal? Those ordinary people need to take leave from work to attend these things...why are basketballers any different?

Anyone who didn't bother to check out the terms and conditions before they got on a plane or joined a team are pretty silly if they think they got stung (unless these things, of course, were arranged beforehand and then withdrawn)
In the scheme of things, these guys aren't stars. They shouldn't expect to be treated like one.
We're talking about people who were asked to come and play so there would be enough teams to make up the tournament and told they would be taken care of. They weren't. Don't see how it can be compared to dancing comps etc where people make their own decision to enter.
If everyone was in the same boat there wouldn't be any complaints. That's the heart of the matter. As I said, most of the teams were looked after as they were told they would be. Some weren't. Hardly fair or professional and not a good way to go about things if they want to do it again in the future