TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Old School > High Stakes Hoops

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #51
Voice(s)

I know that American Riley L for the Fleet is pretty much tearing it up for Forestville in the ABL.

John Davis (editor, Earth First! Journal)
Old 06-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #52
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

So who is Todd Blanchfield? I know I have heard the name before. Is he always this good, or the atrocious play of that wannabe NBA team making him look good?
Old 06-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #53
wildscooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
So who is Todd Blanchfield? I know I have heard the name before. Is he always this good, or the atrocious play of that wannabe NBA team making him look good?
I think he is the DP for Crocs last year.

BTW Bradtke is a crap coach. Doesn't quite know how to get his message across.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #54
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

Well, he just made Homicide look like an absolute dick, which is saying something because he just had a good crack at doing that to himself.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #55
upnorth

A lot of selfish heads on this Pythons lineup. I ran out of fingers to count how many one pass sets they have had. Rillie looks like he would be tearing his hair out if he had any left.

Got a feeling Homicide would be liking a bit more ball too!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #56
upnorth

Homicide seems to have lost interest. He's just walking about the court.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #57
Clips
Never Forget

Anyone else catch the girl with her legs up in the air in the background when bear was interviewing kevin johnson?
Old 06-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #58
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

No, but I just saw them show the Pool B standings....in no particular order, and then they cut to a commercial break playing something very similar to the Charles in Charge theme tune.

One HD - where shit happens.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #59
metalslugsman
No, I'm Spartacus

prepare for mediocre NBL coverage next season

i think we may end up rueing the loss of Fox Sports from NBL coverage
Old 06-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #60
jjj

and there were so many posters happy that fox got 'boned'. guess they are looking forward to next season mightily
Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #61
Derek
Not dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilonv1 View Post
Regardless of the disappointing crowd (if you can even call it a crowd), the quality of play is more of a concern from my point of view.
Quoted for truth.

I don't even know where to begin. Just amazingly bad basketball, all blowouts, and the so-called 'star' players getting crushed by ABA teams. Even Billy and the Scarf couldn't sell this tournament, the poor play getting to Carfino midway through the Reef/Pythons game.

- the closest game was a 21-point blowout, although it's not like results are anywhere

- the team with Corey Williams and John Rillie and about six other Americans (Pythons) got SMASHED by a team with John Fitzgerald (Slingers), Todd Blanchfield (Crocs rookie), Stephen Hoare and Jason "I played for the Suns, not the Crocs, the Suns" Cameron. The Pythons looked awful

- Woods and Carfino seemed to be under orders not to mention the NBL under any circumstances- the whole "five Crocs (or ex-Crocs) on the court" thing in the Reef/Pythons game could have been a talking point, especially given Blanchfield's performance

- their news site is LITERALLY a free Wordpress.com blog and doesn't have any scores/results/boxscores/anything

- the 'Gamebreaker' power play basically means the team that's trailing jacks up threes, while the team that's leading gets long rebounds and outlet passes for easy layups.

Brett Maher's team came up with a better use- call the Gamebreaker, then fake the threes and pass it into Luke Schenscher for wide-open layups. But then if I recall correctly they were leading (or at least on a tear) so it didn't matter as long as they were getting easy points.

- no-one knew who half the guys on court even were- I suspect some people didn't know they were teammates until warmups! One team had a player announced during intros and the commentators said he was still at the airport and hadn't made it to the venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilonv1 View Post
Considering there's no on screen graphics besides the score this is a huge oversight. I have NFI who half of these guys are.
Maybe they need to promote this a bit more like the NBA Summer Leagues. Don't just say "here's #13 Todd Blanchfield!", say "here's #13 Todd Blanchfield, who was a Crocs rookie last season after playing his junior basketball with the Mackay Meteors."

Actually this deserves its own post, I'll cover that elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clips View Post
Maybe Hodge will 1 up himself and push Maher over before stomping on his name on the back of his jersey.
No names on jerseys, problem solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg View Post
I was wondering why Ronaldson looked so rumpled...I was feeling sorry for him that he didn't have a ONE HD shirt, but then realised he did...he just looked like he'd slept in it!
And for a 6'9" man they STILL found a shirt two sizes too big.

Positives:

- Todd Blanchfield.

DN
Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #62
Junior Coach

Boy Chis Golding played well, it will be exciting to watch his future.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #63
alleyoop

Re: the crowds, surely they could not have expected much with this sort of scheduling. I don't think you'd ever really get casual fans into this, it's more for hoop junkies who want to see a little local hoops flavour on FTA.

I was actually surprised to see they used a proper stadium to play the games, would've thought an outdoor court (similar to Slamball or streetball) would've suited better.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #64
jake31

How many did Goulding get? Any Boxscores anywhere?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #65
angry ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake31 View Post
How many did Goulding get? Any Boxscores anywhere?
23 points......

-----
The games felt like NBA summer league games today. Hopefully the crowds and quality increases...

Last edited by angry ant; 06-04-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:47 AM   #66
FaceAndBum

Overall, I thought it was good. But a bit dodgee at times with the crowd (no one there) and the way things are handled, like the teams only having 8 or 9 players, and the guy still at the airport, come on!. Intros were a bit lame too.

But on a good note, it took me back to the channel 10 days when Woodsy and Carfino we calling the games. That was good, and cant wait for the new NBL season to start so they can do it again.

1st game had a bit of quality, got worse as it went on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Quoted for truth.

- Woods and Carfino seemed to be under orders not to mention the NBL under any circumstances-

DN
Isn't there a big NBL logo on the court?.

And on the names on shirts, that would help a bit.

Last edited by FaceAndBum; 07-04-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #67
Voice(s)

All up I thought it was actually pretty good. Much better than I thought it would be thinking it might end up like some sort of And1 type rubbish. A couple of teams don't really seem up to scratch and what I saw of the Pythons they just look like a team of individuals. The Fleet/Rush game was a pretty good game. Riley, Goulding & Schenscher all stood out. Commentary & production were both good.

The only real negative was the atmosphere due to the poor crowds but I'm sure that was expected plus it's not hard to just focus on the action if you've seen a few of the Greek league games on Eurosport with smaller crowds than that.

Really looking forward to that Fleet (Maher)/Monarchs (Hodge) game tomorrow. Even said brother of mine is right into it now

Old 07-04-2010, 02:47 AM   #68
Voice(s)

Boti's Day 1 wrap up:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1225850591586

Scores for the first three games of the day:

Monarchs 101 (Millard 16, Tucker 14, Young 13, Oliver, Hodge 12, Woody 10) d Cyclones 83 (Dann 20, Brown, Woodberry 15, Dodman 11).

Rays 104 (Lisch, Robinson, Ronaldson 15, Gibson 13, Hill 12, Fisher 11) d Coasters 83 (Lampley 20, Ng 17, Helms 16).

Fleet 112 (Luettgerodt, Goulding 23, Farley 22, Schenscher 19) d Rush 81 (Rose 16, Bridgewater, Dillon 14).

Old 07-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #69
KDog

I onlt caught a bit of it but the games was seriously bad!!
You're never going to pull a crowd playing on a weekday during work hours. So that's fair enough.

The highlight was having Bill Woods and Steve Carfino commentating again. You could tell they were frustrated at the level of play. Some of the payouts were pretty humourous and you could tell they would've been much better if they had free reign over what they could say.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #70
Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceAndBum View Post
Overall, I thought it was good. But a bit dodgee at times with the crowd (no one there) and the way things are handled, like the teams only having 8 or 9 players, and the guy still at the airport, come on!. Intros were a bit lame too.

But on a good note, it took me back to the channel 10 days when Woodsy and Carfino we calling the games. That was good, and cant wait for the new NBL season to start so they can do it again.

1st game had a bit of quality, got worse as it went on.
I agree, it was really good hearing Woods and Carfino. And even when Cal Bruton was commentating with Bill Woods, was so good to actually hear stuff from the old days mentioned - better to hear people taking about the history of the NBL rather than the last two or three years only like nothing before that existed.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #71
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

I don't understand the love for Woods. The guy was terrible when he commentated, let alone when he hosted those dicky shows that they used to air. No memory of him commentating makes me think of "the good old days".
Old 07-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #72
DJ Rod
Twitter Ninja

Derek - rest easy baby - he's ours!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #73
Wild 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
I don't understand the love for Woods. The guy was terrible when he commentated, let alone when he hosted those dicky shows that they used to air. No memory of him commentating makes me think of "the good old days".
For some reason I don't recall his commentating bothering me one way or the other back in the Channel 10 days. Always used to look forward to watching the weekend shows, especially Sunday basketball, that had good recaps most of the time. But thats my opinion, and I was alot younger back then.

To use a Wildcats analogy on the 'love' for Woods - Rob Dempster and Craig Evans - fairly mediocre players to say the least, but mention their names and its the Wildcats good old days for mine.

KingJamesXXIII
NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam
Old 07-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #74
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

See, all I remember of Robbie Dempster is a reverse lay up that missed terribly at the end of the 1990 GF win, so while the memory of the era is good, the specifics of it don't sit well with me.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #75
haggard

he used to ride the pine a lot too.