TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Old School > NBL Archive

Notices

Old 14-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
bball28
Default Free Agents Thread

Thought i would start one for player movement rumors and when players sign.

First one i have heard is Tigers will be chasing Homicide hard as well as Luke Nevill. Good to see Tigers buying a good team.

http://www.gaze.com.au/index.php?opt...=44&Itemid=126
Old 14-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
bogut

Interesting that they are chasing Nevill indicating either a) Daniel Johnson is prepared to come off the bench again or b) Dan Johnson has indicated his desire to go elsewhere.

Sure hope Johnson comes home to Perth.
Old 14-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
fan since the old snakepit

From the article.

"After the retirements of Chris Anstey and Sam Mackinnon, and the departure of Mark Worthington to Europe, Melbourne have already indicated an interest in Australian centre Luke Nevill, as the team attempt to rebuild their roster with a championship-calibre squad for 2010/11.

If Melbourne are successful in adding Williams and Nevill, the only Victorian based franchise will start next season with very short odds for the 2011 Championship"

Did LV write this.
Old 14-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Lethal Vertical

No, I didn't....

But was it Daniel Eade? He's worse than me lol.
Old 14-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
SB.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan since the old snakepit View Post
From the article.

"After the retirements of Chris Anstey and Sam Mackinnon, and the departure of Mark Worthington to Europe, Melbourne have already indicated an interest in Australian centre Luke Nevill, as the team attempt to rebuild their roster with a championship-calibre squad for 2010/11.

If Melbourne are successful in adding Williams and Nevill, the only Victorian based franchise will start next season with very short odds for the 2011 Championship"

Did LV write this.
LMAO, sounds like it. That's a ridiculous statement! Nevill is an unknown quantity in the NBL. He could be an Anstey, but he could be a Schenscher.
Old 14-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
SB.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogut View Post
Interesting that they are chasing Nevill indicating either a) Daniel Johnson is prepared to come off the bench again or b) Dan Johnson has indicated his desire to go elsewhere.

Sure hope Johnson comes home to Perth.
Maybe, but do you really think he's that much of an upgrade on a confident Schenscher?

Plus it would be disappointing to see Luke Nevill head directly east in the same way as Johnson did, and Wortho before him. We should at least have a crack at getting our returning college kids to play for the Wildcats. Tigers likely to throw many more dollars at him though.
Old 14-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
SB.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan since the old snakepit View Post
From the article.

Did LV write this.
It gets better "And while Williams, who has played the last few years as one of the lowest paid imports in the league, has indicated an interest to return to Townsville, Melbourne will have the upper hand with the ability to offer Williams a salary extremely greater than anything he has received before from Townsville."

Where do they get this info from?
Old 14-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Alex_Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB.1 View Post
It gets better "And while Williams, who has played the last few years as one of the lowest paid imports in the league, has indicated an interest to return to Townsville, Melbourne will have the upper hand with the ability to offer Williams a salary extremely greater than anything he has received before from Townsville."

Where do they get this info from?
If Williams has been underpaid as he said, why would he chase the dollar at Melbourne if he hasn't wanted to chase them anywhere else and been happy to stay at the Crocs 'as one of the lowest paid imports in the league'?

Awesome journalism.

Last edited by Alex_Traitor; 15-03-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 14-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
djrod
Send a message via Yahoo to djrod

the thing is that the $ figure is a guess!

I would guess that I could name 20 imports in the last 2 seasons that got paid less than him!
Old 15-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #10
SB.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Traitor View Post
If Williams has been underpaid as he said, why would he chase the dollars at Melbourne if he hasn't chased them anywhere else and been happy to stay at the Crocs 'as one of the lowest imports in the league'?

Awesome journalism.
Exactly. Tigers fanatacism at its best.
Old 15-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
paul

Some nice propoganda work there! I am sure Corey lives pretty comfortably. There is a reason the Crocs lack star power apart from him.
Old 15-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
haggard

Given that the Tigers have about $1 billion coming off the books in Anstey, Sammy Mac and Wortho we will hear a lot about everyone and anyone being linked to them.
Old 15-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
illusiv
Send a message via ICQ to illusiv Send a message via MSN to illusiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Vertical View Post
No, I didn't....

But was it Daniel Eade? He's worse than me lol.
Yes it was Daniel Eade... and yes he is worse than you!

Last edited by illusiv; 15-03-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 15-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
illusiv
Send a message via ICQ to illusiv Send a message via MSN to illusiv

Double post
Old 15-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
cantremeber

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Some nice propoganda work there! I am sure Corey lives pretty comfortably. There is a reason the Crocs lack star power apart from him.
Why?
Old 15-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #16
DDFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantremeber View Post
Why?
1 star milking the ca$h cow?
Old 15-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #17
Silencer83
Just call me Trigger ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB.1 View Post

Plus it would be disappointing to see Luke Nevill head directly east in the same way as Johnson did, and Wortho before him. We should at least have a crack at getting our returning college kids to play for the Wildcats. Tigers likely to throw many more dollars at him though.
From what I know Bevo tried to recruit Luke Nevill last season but he priced himself out of reach.
Old 17-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #18
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer83 View Post
From what I know Bevo tried to recruit Luke Nevill last season but he priced himself out of reach.
I was going to say that hopefully playing a year in the D league would make him reconsider, but he's been actually doing pretty good, especially in a league dominated by shoot first guards looking to make it back to the big dance...

Staying over there is probaby better for his career at this stage... It's not like his an Aron Baynes, averaging more fouls than points :S

Am I just being nerdy or would it be good to have something like the FNBL Free Agents list as a live tracker sort of thing?

Code:
Surname		First Name	09/10	10/11	Current Status
====================================================================================
Martin		Damian		PER	SYD	Signed to new Sydney Team
Williams	Corey		TSV	--	Unsigned

Last edited by Nerf Herder; 17-03-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 17-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #19
Alex_Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
I was going to say that hopefully playing a year in the D league would make him reconsider, but he's been actually doing pretty good, especially in a league dominated by shoot first guards looking to make it back to the big dance...

Staying over there is probaby better for his career at this stage... It's not like his an Aron Baynes, averaging more fouls than points :S

Am I just being nerdy or would it be good to have something like the FNBL Free Agents list as a live tracker sort of thing?

Code:
Surname		First Name	09/10	10/11	Current Status
====================================================================================
Martin		Damian		PER	SYD	Signed to new Sydney Team
Williams	Corey		TSV	--	Unsigned
Marto to Sydney? You wish!
Old 17-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #20
Silencer83
Just call me Trigger ;)

I think it was just an example as Damo is signed but is currently flavour of the month
Old 17-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #21
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I think it was just an example as Damo is signed but is currently flavour of the month
lol... just an example, yes, but speak to any decent Sydney basketball fan and you will find out that Damo has been more than the flavour of the month, it's just only now that Perth fans have clicked on (and he's making his shots) that he's getting more deserved recognition...
Old 17-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #22
Silencer83
Just call me Trigger ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
lol... just an example, yes, but speak to any decent Sydney basketball fan and you will find out that Damo has been more than the flavour of the month, it's just only now that Perth fans have clicked on (and he's making his shots) that he's getting more deserved recognition...
No doubt, Razors and Spirit fans had been telling everyone for the last few years (and Wildcats' fans this season) how great he was. I meant flavour of the month because it is only since the Grand Final series that everyone else has come to the same conclusion
Old 17-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #23
SB.1

Quote:
No no, the NBL are invalidating his contract and telling him he has to play in Sydney, Chienese government style, to cover up Homicide's lack of jumpshot. It's a rumour I heard.
Old 17-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #24
DDFan

It's rumoured that Shane Heal wants Thai McKee to be included in the Sydney Kings Asian rule.
Old 22-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #25
Nerf Herder

Tracker moved to it's own thread - Derek approved...

All discussion to remain here still... Don't worry, I have no life, so I will be checking things regularly and updating ASAP once official word has been posted on the official NBL/Team sites...

Last edited by Nerf Herder; 23-03-2010 at 12:31 AM.