TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Old School > NBL Archive

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #51
Alex_Traitor

I think he means Ben.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #52
paul

The 'ten' means very little this year, I understand teams can play DPs ahead of fully rostered guys if they wish. I would be surprised if O'Hea stays ahead of Bathie.

And yes, it's Ben Knight, Matt has signed in Hungary again.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #53
2sc945
Melm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Vertical View Post
Unfortunatly for the Crocs, in reality their chances haven’t improved, because they were more than likely going to finish in the same spot they otherwise would’ve. The Tigers looked a better team than the Crocs before Anstey went down, and still look better having signed (unconfirmed?) Khazzouh and Knight.

The current Tigers lineup, assuming the Gaze.com.au article is correct (and this seems far from certain), is as follows:

Starting 5:

Khazzouh
Wortho
Mackinnon
Corletto
Kendall

Bench:

Johnson
Knight
Greer
O’Hea
Crosswell

Now to me that looks like a top 4 team. Honestly Paul, I really am trying to sympathise with your position here, but I just don’t see any reasonable justification for your pessimism.
Bottom 4, Top 6 at best.

Reason: Spots 1, 2 and 3 too weak.

Quote:
That team’s got a talented and deep frontcourt, probably second best in the league after Perth.
4th best in NBL after Taipans, Wildcats and the Breakers.

Quote:
The backcourt is a little thin, but Kendall’s shown some good pre season form, and now that he’s had a full off season with the Tigers there’s every reason to expect he’ll be playing his best basketball. And of course, Crosswell and Corletto, whilst hardly being stars, are no slouches. So you’ve got a decent starting five, and a bench that goes legitimately four deep.
Crosswell should start, Kendall is more of a combo G than PG, best-suited as a Supa Sub.

Quote:
Looks like a better squad than most in the league on paper, so my main concern would be the lack of chemistry that’s possible when you throw together a bunch of guys that haven’t played with each other at all. But considering it’s a team full of players with plenty of NBL experience, and some who’ve switched clubs plenty of times already in their careers, I don’t see any inherent reason for that to be a huge risk.

However as I said in the other thread, going with the probability that Anstey will return, I agree that we’re better off going for an import 2-3 rather than Khazzouh. Sign Knight as Anstey’s replacement until his return, and then we’ll have the best possible team upon Anstey’s return, and be looking very good for another championship.
Ben Knight?

Quote:
In that scenario we’d end up with the following team by season’s end:

Anstey
Wortho
Mackinnon
Import- Donta Smith type
Kendall

Johnson
Greer
O’Hea
Corletto
Crosswell
Start Crosswell or trade him, he can start for any team in NBL.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA
Old 12-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #54
2sc945
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Customer View Post
Guys, this thread has "Crocs" in the title. What part of "Crocs thread" don't you understand???
Crocs cocks.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

TFRENBAA
Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #55
paul

Crosswell is a low range starter but a good bench player in the NBL. Kendall at his best is a step ahead - can give all Crosswell can but with a good jumpshot to boot.

Sorry LV - you have your Tigers glasses on again, as shown by describing a team with Johnson, B Knight, Greer, O'Hea and Crosswell on the bench as a top four team! Not to mention a starting five with only one genuine superstar (Mackinnon) who is an unknown factor due to health.

Just as a comparison, the Tigers bench the last two years when they made the grand final has been:

Johnson, Hoare, Thomas, Corletto, Kendall
Stiff, Hoare, Greer, Corletto, Macdonald

Even with a gun import the Tigers will be pushing it to make the grand final this year.
Old 14-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #56
hendrix

I'm a long time Suns/Crocs fan.

I'm sorry but how can anyone say anything bad about a team that has Worthington and/or Anstey??? their achievements speak for themselves.

We have:

Brad Williamson, Cameron Tovey, Chris Cedar, Corey Williams, Jeff Dowdell, Josh Jenkins, Keegan Tudehope, Kelvin Robertson, Michael Cedar, Peter Crawford, Rolan Roberts, Russell Hinder, Stephen Hoare and Todd Blanchfield....

and Crocs fans are dissing the Tigers???
Old 15-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #57
Lethal Vertical

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Crosswell is a low range starter but a good bench player in the NBL. Kendall at his best is a step ahead - can give all Crosswell can but with a good jumpshot to boot.
Crosswell's definitely better at driving to the basket than Kendall. Crosswell's also a reasonable mid range shooter, so Kendall's advantage is from outside the arc, rather than his "jumpshot" generally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Sorry LV - you have your Tigers glasses on again, as shown by describing a team with Johnson, B Knight, Greer, O'Hea and Crosswell on the bench as a top four team! Not to mention a starting five with only one genuine superstar (Mackinnon) who is an unknown factor due to health.
So Wortho's not a genuine superstar? He'd have to be in the top ten players in the league wouldn't he? Some would even argue top 5, I reckon you'd find. And Khazzouh's no superstar, but I put him in the top 3 or 4 Centre's in the league- behind Schenscher and Rickert, but ahead of Burston, Rogers, Rolan Roberts (in my expectations), Tragardh (cos he's a better defender) etc.

RE: the bench- yeah absolutely. My view is that the bench will be less important this year due to the reduced time. I know you disagree, so we'll have to just agree to disagree with that one. But you must admit I have said that since even before I knew Barlow was out, so it's not a case of Tigers glasses there! But even so, there's four guys on that bench who I'd be more thna comfortable giving significant chunks of court time to if necessary. Including Johnson, who's done well enough in recent times to convince me he's now a legit big man back up. O'Hea's not really up to it in my view, so the bench goes four deep. And that's enough.
Old 15-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #58
gangsta boo
Dorothy McShane

Is Julian Khazzouh even signed now??

As long as Wortho is fit he'll like LV say's be a bigtime player for the Tigers. But without Chris he will have to have someone supporting him - Mackinnon? . Not sure how Ben Knight will fit in but guess he gives them more support in the frontcourt

Gene: What as opposed to one of those I-really-really-like-you sort of murders?
Old 15-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #59
paul

No, I wouldn’t have Worthington as a superstar, he has done nothing to warrant that status. He is a very good player yes, but not in the class of Anstey, Bruton, Penney, Ere, Williams, Mackinnon etc who can take a game over.

From memory, Khazzouh (moot point of course) didn’t guard centres much last year, Matt Knight did most of that work. But while he showed huge potential early last year and was developing into a very good player, he certainly is not elite in this league just yet.

As for Crosswell, he is good at getting to the rack in transition, but in top form so is Kendall, and Kendall is better at penetrate and dish in the half court for mine.

Knight, Worthington, Mackinnon, Kendall, Crosswell
Johnson, Lang, Greer, O’Hea/Bathie, Corletto

That wont strike fear into the hearts of many. They should still be competitive, but without an import/miraculous Anstey recovery or both, they will probably be in the bottom two.
Old 15-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #60
Lethal Vertical

According to the NBL article that's the final roster now?

Yeah, now I am definitely more pessimistic than before as I'd hoped we'd sign someone better than Knight to replace Barlow. You must've been right about the budget this year Paul.

Given the new scenario, until Anstey's return the bench is looking thin. O'Hea and Lang won't contribute much at all, so if we have any injuries, we're screwed.

On the upside, if the team remains healthy we should be competitive, and ready to do some damage on Anstey's return. When he returns, the team will be physically formidable and have a strong and deep frontcourt, so I look forward to seeing what they can do. There's a lot of if's and maybe's ahead- Mackinnon's performance is the main one, along with Anstey's return after a long lay off at the age of 34- but if everything goes right we will still be right up there. Although, even I must admit that in all probability, New Zealand looks head and shoulders above everyone else, so they deserve serious favouritism right now.
Old 15-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #61
paul

Dont distress LV. I am pretty sure an import will arrive at some point (I suspect November?). As you pointed out, you need Mackinnon to lead the way until then to steal some victories and keep within striking distance of the four.

No team can stay at the top forever though, and the last four years have been pretty good for Tigers fans.
Old 15-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #62
Lethal Vertical

So it's still possible to sign an import despite Knight's signing, Paul? I thought it'd ruled that possibility out.

And yeah you're right- the last few years have been pretty good! I'm looking forward to this year, simply because there's been a lot of change, which makes it exciting. Kendall and Mackinnon are still relatively new players, plus Johnson and Greer got opportunities last season and should get even more this year.
Old 15-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #63
paul

If Anstey doesnt come back they could replace Lang with an import. If Anstey returned they would also have to lose Knight.

But if things were going bad I dont think theyd hesitate to do that, provided they can get the right player for the right price.
Old 17-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #64
Lethal Vertical

Yeah thats the ideal scenario- Using Knight as a shrot term cover for Anstey. It's just that I was assuming, per the article that Knight was a permanent signing.

The frontcourt's gonna be overcrowded once Knight gets back, so we'd be better off with an import swingman if we can.
Old 14-07-2010, 01:49 AM   #65
mattic
Mr. Pink

Cadee out, Crocs chances improve.
Old 14-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #66
cantremeber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattic View Post
Cadee out, Crocs chances improve.
This has its own thread but seeing as long as its not me it'll be ok...phhttt

Probably does help the Crocs as well as all the teams
Old 14-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #67
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

Oh, so you were the innocent victim in this heavily criticised thread?
Old 14-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #68
Mookie

Guys, this was all a long time ago. I cant remeber the details of it all -- all I know is that Cadee has been very un-lucky.
Old 14-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #69
Derek
Not dead

I don't particularly have a rule against reviving old threads, but this one really doesn't need to live again.

DN