TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Old School > NBL Archive

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
cantremeber
Default Anstey out for .5 season - Crocs chances improve

Given the Crocs apparent weakness, at least against the heavyweights who boast a big man - with Anstey out, their stocks are on the improve.

Now to solve their b/u point guard dilemma.

Melbourne Tigers star Chris Anstey to miss half the NBL season

September 09, 2009
Melbourne Tigers star Chris Anstey expects to miss the first half of the coming NBL season with a hip injury.

The Tigers captain said he had been affected by hip problems for several years and was hoping soreness during pre-season training would ease off.

But scans this week made it clear surgery is needed and he'll have an operation on Saturday with the aim of returning to the court early next year.

"They want to get something done as quickly as possible to give me a chance of getting back by January," Anstey said.

"It's not elective surgery; it's one that's needed and the quicker the better."

Coach Al Westover said he was like a "stunned mullet" when he learnt on Tuesday that he would lose the club's best player for such a long period.

"It's a huge blow. We just hope it all goes well and he can come back this year," Westover said.

He said Anstey would help the team in a coaching role during his injury lay-off and the rest of the players had to make sure they positioned themselves for a finals berth to allow Anstey to have an impact at the business end of the season.

Edit - heres the link - thanx for the reminder - an oversight.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23769,00.html

Last edited by cantremeber; 10-09-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
PyroCross

That still doesn't help things. The Tigers are just going to pull off their traditional second-half run like they did last season. I mean, 100% Anstey with no fatigue coming in for the second half? Not good news.

Until then though, that Tigers team doesn't look so great.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
paul

I think the Tigers team without Barlow or an import replacement was a non-playoff team anyway, now they are in big trouble.

With no good Aussie bigs left (unless they pull Pep out of retirement – but what shape would he be in), and the few good import bigs making super dollars at Euro power clubs, the Tigers really need to sign a 2-3 import immediately to give them a quick athletic team that can cover their size deficiency.

Worthington, Mackinnon, Greer, 6’7 import swingman, Kendall
Johnson, Knight, Bathie, Corletto, Crosswell

Without that, even if Anstey returns in January I doubt they would be close enough to make a run at the playoffs.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

Yes, I see how this is a Crocs-related thread.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
cantremeber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Customer View Post
Yes, I see how this is a Crocs-related thread.
Of course it is. A thread hasnt been hijacked has it unless your smart-arse comment represents one.

Tip: The word "Croc" probably means the thread relates to the Crocs.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

So you post an article on a topic relating to nothing but the Tigers (which, by the way, is being discussed in the Tigers thread) but because you said "wow, Crocs have more chance now" it's meant to be an indepth discussion on the Crocs team? The other two guys didn't post anything about the Crocs, you made a half-arsed attempt to - tell me which part makes it a Crocs thread?
Old 10-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Alex_Traitor

It was a pretty lame title TBH. All teams chances improve, not just the Crocs.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
cantremeber

Quote:
So you post an article on a topic relating to nothing but the Tigers (which, by the way, is being discussed in the Tigers thread) but because you said "wow, Crocs have more chance now" it's meant to be an indepth discussion on the Crocs team? The other two guys didn't post anything about the Crocs, you made a half-arsed attempt to - tell me which part makes it a Crocs thread?
Well, lets see.....I start the thread and in the title it mentions the "Crocs".

Hmmmmm...what part of that dont you actually get????

AS to the other guy who says the thread title is a bit lame - to each his own. I see it it relevant to the Crocs as our main weakness is in the middle and it would be nice if all the other big guys fell over like this and gave us a free run...

As for the issue being already discussed in another thread I'll let the guys with nothing better to do and who spend all their waking moments reading lengthy threads on all topics cover that one
Old 10-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantremeber View Post
Well, lets see.....I start the thread and in the title it mentions the "Crocs".

Hmmmmm...what part of that dont you actually get????
The thread title contains the word "Crocs" and that is the beginning and end of the Crocs discussion. You blew your load at the thought of starting a new thread but couldn't think of anything meaningful to say while you were wiping your dick on a paper towel.

Quote:
As for the issue being already discussed in another thread I'll let the guys with nothing better to do and who spend all their waking moments reading lengthy threads on all topics cover that one
You mean you don't have the nous to follow a discussion, let alone even join in, so you pretend you are just so busy to communicate properly. Why visit a discussion board if you aren't even prepared to discuss something properly?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
Elphinkiller

I am with TC on this one, this has fark all to do with the Crocs.

Edit:

And aren't you supposed to credit the source of your cut and paste article so Derek doesn't get calls from lawyers.

Last edited by Elphinkiller; 10-09-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
Sachmo

Agreed, this thread is worthy of a lock as its just a repeat of the Tigers thread.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
Wallitron

Send a message via AIM to Wallitron Send a message via MSN to Wallitron Send a message via Yahoo to Wallitron

TC is just upset because the thread topic contains a decimal, and they haven't covered those in his after hours adult remedial mathematics course yet.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #13
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

So he isn't out for 5 seasons?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
Lethal Vertical

Unfortunatly for the Crocs, in reality their chances haven’t improved, because they were more than likely going to finish in the same spot they otherwise would’ve. The Tigers looked a better team than the Crocs before Anstey went down, and still look better having signed (unconfirmed?) Khazzouh and Knight.

The current Tigers lineup, assuming the Gaze.com.au article is correct (and this seems far from certain), is as follows:

Starting 5:

Khazzouh
Wortho
Mackinnon
Corletto
Kendall

Bench:

Johnson
Knight
Greer
O’Hea
Crosswell

Now to me that looks like a top 4 team. Honestly Paul, I really am trying to sympathise with your position here, but I just don’t see any reasonable justification for your pessimism.

That team’s got a talented and deep frontcourt, probably second best in the league after Perth. The backcourt is a little thin, but Kendall’s shown some good pre season form, and now that he’s had a full off season with the Tigers there’s every reason to expect he’ll be playing his best basketball. And of course, Crosswell and Corletto, whilst hardly being stars, are no slouches. So you’ve got a decent starting five, and a bench that goes legitimately four deep. Looks like a better squad than most in the league on paper, so my main concern would be the lack of chemistry that’s possible when you throw together a bunch of guys that haven’t played with each other at all. But considering it’s a team full of players with plenty of NBL experience, and some who’ve switched clubs plenty of times already in their careers, I don’t see any inherent reason for that to be a huge risk.

However as I said in the other thread, going with the probability that Anstey will return, I agree that we’re better off going for an import 2-3 rather than Khazzouh. Sign Knight as Anstey’s replacement until his return, and then we’ll have the best possible team upon Anstey’s return, and be looking very good for another championship. In that scenario we’d end up with the following team by season’s end:

Anstey
Wortho
Mackinnon
Import- Donta Smith type
Kendall

Johnson
Greer
O’Hea
Corletto
Crosswell
Old 10-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
Alex_Traitor

Still refusing to start Crosswell, the only player resembling anything near a point guard in your team?
Old 10-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #16
Lethal Vertical

Based on what I've seen of Kendall, it looks as though he's got similar ability to Crosswell. Different strengths, but similar amount of talent. So either of those guys will start, it doesn't bother me much either way. And it won't have much impact on their minutes.

Not sure what Al's gonna do, but if it was me, I'd be sharing the guard minutes between those two and Corletto. O'Hea and Bathie aren't good enough to be getting many minutes. So either way you swing it, with either Crosswell or Kendall starting they'll both be playing around 25-30 minutes a game, along with Corletto. They may wanna play Tommy Greer there for a few minutes a game. I'd be a bit cautious with that, but it's worth a few minutes a game to begin with.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #17
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

Guys, this thread has "Crocs" in the title. What part of "Crocs thread" don't you understand???
Old 10-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #18
gangsta boo
Dorothy McShane

Well you do know as soon as Anstey and Tigers gets mentioned in the same sentence someone is automatically paged to the thread

Besides that the Tigers were never the favourite and with Chris out for a while the advantage goes to all teams including the Crocs. But you know the Tigers won't have some short changed roster for long, they'll be making moves

Gene: What as opposed to one of those I-really-really-like-you sort of murders?
Old 10-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
cantremeber

Quote:
Guys, this thread has "Crocs" in the title. What part of "Crocs thread" don't you understand???
See TC - you're an intrusive little pr#ck, arent ya. You and and another nameless person do this endlessly. You enter threads and simply act like absolute f#$k-wits and before long the thread has indeed been hijacked

You dont like the thread - exercise one of your two brain cells and make a choice....dont participate.

I'll leave you to the rest of your day to try and figure it out.

And go on, have the last word....you know you want to.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #20
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

ok
Old 10-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #21
haggard

oh Boo Hoo!!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #22
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

This thread was a piece of shit to begin with. There was a perfectly good discussion going on in the Tigers thread regarding Anstey but for whatever reason, you decided to re-post the same information in a new thread, put some pathetic Crocs disguise on it, then get shitty when I called you out on it. If you're statement of "Crocs have more of a chance now" was just so important that you had to enlighten us all with it, put it in the current discussion and see if someone bothers to respond. It's unlikely but you'd have less chance of exposing yourself as an dickhead once again.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #23
isaac
Send a message via MSN to isaac

Joining the 'lame thread' chorus. Keep it in the respective Tigers and Crocs topics otherwise it creates precedent for another seven or more "Anstey out - TeamX chances improve" threads.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #24
cantremeber

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac View Post
Joining the 'lame thread' chorus. Keep it in the respective Tigers and Crocs topics otherwise it creates precedent for another seven or more "Anstey out - TeamX chances improve" threads.
So what your saying is that if someone has a bit of news they might think is relevant but is actually covered somewhere else - its their repsonsibility to troll thru all the threads that might be germaine? Good luck with that one.

It just aint that important, mate. Its a thread with a clear title and if the subject doesnt grab you or if you thinks its not worthy of discussion, it seems an incredibly simple strategy to simply not read it. Obviously for some, it seems even that simple task is beyond them.

I just dont get it. Sure there is the potential for there to be 7 other threads started with the same news but really thats pushing it uphill a bit.

Anyway I'll leave you to it..........apparently I have 433 threads I have to catch up on....
Old 10-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #25
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantremeber View Post
So what your saying is that if someone has a bit of news they might think is relevant but is actually covered somewhere else - its their repsonsibility to troll thru all the threads that might be germaine? Good luck with that one.
But you didn't start the thread to post relevant news - you started it to have a Crocs discussion.

And the Tigers thread would have been in the top 5 threads on the first page when you started this shit so perhaps looking a little bit harder would haved been a good start.

Quote:
It just aint that important, mate. Its a thread with a clear title and if the subject doesnt grab you or if you thinks its not worthy of discussion, it seems an incredibly simple strategy to simply not read it. Obviously for some, it seems even that simple task is beyond them.
But thats the thing - I wanted to read the thread because of the title, thinking it would be at least an analysis of the Crocs vs Tigers in recent years but I was disappointed to see a cut and paste of an existing discussion and NOTHING relevant to the Crocs at all.

Quote:
I just dont get it. Sure there is the potential for there to be 7 other threads started with the same news but really thats pushing it uphill a bit.
Luckily, there aren't 7 other fuckbags as dim-witted as you to start a thread like this.