TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > National Basketball League

Notices

Old 17-04-2016, 11:31 PM   #276
Clips
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDFan View Post
DJ Rod's revealing post on hoops is a must read.
For the lazy;

A sad day but unfortunately didn't come as a shock. Management should not have expected the NBL to prop up the club and should never have relied on that money. It's very unfortunate that promises were made to coaches and players including contracts being signed by players to return and new players to the league, some returning from Europe.

The Crocs brand has been dirt over the past 7yrs in the community and continually destroying relationships of fans, sponsors and volunteers. If you dont engage with the community, especially the basketball community, you wont get buy-in for support.

Given that and during a time where the Fire and Cowboys are so successful and the Townsville financial climate is dour, the Crocs were never going to survive.

My biggest disappointments is not winning a championship, losing the pathway to the top for our local juniors and the loss of real basketball friends who turned into family.

I especially feel bad for Shawn & Lani Dennis who had worked so hard to get to the point they were, they settled into the community buying a house etc and then were given a promise that they were going to be in the league but to have that all taken away. Players have a free agency period to hope they get another job but there is only 8 coaching jobs in Australian men's pro basketball that are all filled.

The Suns and Crocs will always be in my heart; I grew up with them as my family but it was not a shock to hear they were gone, nor am I overly sad to see them go... It has been very hard to see them operate as a shell of their former selves and not the model franchise they once were.

The NBL will never be back in Townsville. Cant wait to see how the next season unfolds.
Clips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #277
DDFan

Hawks swoop on Norton, leaving Special Kay & Steindl as worthy pickings buy the cashed up team vultures.
Old 21-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #278
BellBivDevoe

I hope he has an out clause if he has to play more than 5 mins a game with Kevin White on the floor.
BellBivDevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #279
DDFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBivDevoe View Post
I hope he has an out clause if he has to play more than 5 mins a game with Kevin White on the floor.
Old 21-04-2016, 08:20 PM   #280
jjj

Quote:
Hawks swoop on Norton, leaving Special Kay & Steindl as worthy pickings buy the cashed up team vultures.
Do they?
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 06:08 PM   #281
DDFan

Any inside on Special Kay & Steindl?
Old 04-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #282
DDFan

Quote:
Any inside on Special Kay & Steindl?
Both questions answered, Hawks & 36ers win.

Having said that, I'm still angry that the Crocs have folded.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:47 PM   #283
jjj

Quote:

+1
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:12 PM   #284
BellBivDevoe

Quote:

Is Steindl to 6ers confirmed?

Whilst its disappointing the Crocs folded, it was well deserved considering their product and the commensurate buy-in from their fans.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #285
koberulz
Send a message via MSN to koberulz

Nothing confirming Steindl at all. There hasn't even been a strong rumour AFAIK.
koberulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #286
mattic
Mr. Pink

Not a single Crocs home game in the new schedule! NBL ripping us off as usual!
Old 11-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #287
BellBivDevoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattic View Post
Not a single Crocs home game in the new schedule! NBL ripping us off as usual!
Its sad, thankfully, you can continue to watch basketball of the same calibre at Townsville Heat in the QBL.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #288
mattic
Mr. Pink

Haha! Same blokes, same speed.
Old 20-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #289
DJ Rod
Twitter Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellbivdevoe View Post
its sad, thankfully, you can continue to watch basketball of the same calibre at townsville heat in the qbl.
what he said!!! ^^^^^

:d
DJ Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 12:45 AM   #290
Durbansandshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clips View Post
For the lazy;

A sad day but unfortunately didn't come as a shock. Management should not have expected the NBL to prop up the club and should never have relied on that money. It's very unfortunate that promises were made to coaches and players including contracts being signed by players to return and new players to the league, some returning from Europe.

The Crocs brand has been dirt over the past 7yrs in the community and continually destroying relationships of fans, sponsors and volunteers. If you dont engage with the community, especially the basketball community, you wont get buy-in for support.

Given that and during a time where the Fire and Cowboys are so successful and the Townsville financial climate is dour, the Crocs were never going to survive.

My biggest disappointments is not winning a championship, losing the pathway to the top for our local juniors and the loss of real basketball friends who turned into family.

I especially feel bad for Shawn & Lani Dennis who had worked so hard to get to the point they were, they settled into the community buying a house etc and then were given a promise that they were going to be in the league but to have that all taken away. Players have a free agency period to hope they get another job but there is only 8 coaching jobs in Australian men's pro basketball that are all filled.

The Suns and Crocs will always be in my heart; I grew up with them as my family but it was not a shock to hear they were gone, nor am I overly sad to see them go... It has been very hard to see them operate as a shell of their former selves and not the model franchise they once were.

The NBL will never be back in Townsville. Cant wait to see how the next season unfolds.
I wouldn't ever say Townsville won't ever come back to the NBL. Just as much as Gold Coast, Geelong, Newcastle, Canberra, and Hobart won't either. Am sad of how it all came to pass with its decline. Things started off so well back in 1993. Will take several years to pass before the bitterness and what have you to subside as Townsville's citizens try to look back at the Suns/Crocs era. Championship success did seem to elude them though. And there's efforts to bring the North Queensland Fury back in the A-League. Guess the NBL needs to get stronger and vibrant overall before considering Townsville again. How about making some franchises community-owned in the smaller Australian cities not named Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne, and Adelaide?
Old 21-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #291
BellBivDevoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbansandshark View Post
How about making some franchises community-owned in the smaller Australian cities not named Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne, and Adelaide?
I saw how the Townsville home games were poorly attended, so much so, they had to use cloth to hide blocks of seats from seeming empty.

I have doubts this 'community' would have attendance money let alone ownership money.
Old 24-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #292
DJ Rod
Twitter Ninja

We had over a thousand at our QBL Semi Final against Cairns at Townsville Basketball Stadium on Friday night, so I think there are enough basketball people and enough interest in the sport and the league.

The 'Crocodiles' brand is on the nose though, unfortunately. There will need to be a new brand if we ever get a team back again. The city is in a big financial hole at the moment so until we come out the other side of that, it just wont be possible.

Never say never, but it wont be for a decade in my opinion and in that time who knows what our local competition looks like, how many juniors are going to be engaged without a NBL team, how many sponsors have moved on etc.

For now, come out and support my Townsville Heat!
Old 25-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #293
King Podge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rod View Post
We had over a thousand at our QBL Semi Final against Cairns at Townsville Basketball Stadium on Friday night, so I think there are enough basketball people and enough interest in the sport and the league.

The 'Crocodiles' brand is on the nose though, unfortunately. There will need to be a new brand if we ever get a team back again. The city is in a big financial hole at the moment so until we come out the other side of that, it just wont be possible.

Never say never, but it wont be for a decade in my opinion and in that time who knows what our local competition looks like, how many juniors are going to be engaged without a NBL team, how many sponsors have moved on etc.

and what a semi final it was
(p.s. great season coach)

Townsville basketball was a powerhouse before the Crocs, i have no doubt that it can survive without the Crocs and in time national basketball will return. I just hope you guys get some decent people in local/state gov to get the city back on track.
King Podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #294
DJ Rod
Twitter Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Podge View Post
and what a semi final it was
too early... still
Old 11-09-2016, 03:07 AM   #295
Durbansandshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rod View Post

Agree on all your counts DJ Rod and King Podge regarding Townsville being very strong already community-wise in basketball with the Heat prior to the NBL Suns/Crocodiles' arrival back in 1993 with that Queensland pro basketball boom with Brisbane and Gold Coast already present, making it a fertile ground for that to come. It's a little like the NFL Shams, I call them that or maybe the more accurate Scrams, leaving my hometown after 21 years for returning to Los Angeles, where most people associate them there. My city, St. Louis, has a lot of things to work on. Will take at least a decade for the NFL American football to return.
Old 16-03-2017, 08:39 PM   #296
mattic
Mr. Pink

The worst thing about the Crocs demise is that Wedgie was right.
Old 17-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #297
DDFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattic View Post
The worst thing about the Crocs demise is that Wedgie was right.
What!!!!!
I get no credit?