TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > National Basketball League

Notices

Old 07-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #26
FreeThrows

The thing I'm struggling most with is understanding the new rule concerning talent stockpiling.

Quote:
•Aggregate salaries of at least 5 players on each team must not exceed $400,000 in 2016/17.
Does this simply mean the lowest five players on a roster can't be paid more than $400,000 between them? Surely 80k is more than most NBL players are currently being paid. How does that stop the top six players from being paid juggernaut salaries? Players 7 and 8 could both be on 125k and that would still leave an average of 50k for the bottom three rostered players. I know not many teams could afford those numbers (if any), but it hardly stops a team from stacking their roster if they can pay their top eight six-figure sums.

Obviously, it can't mean that "any 5 of a teams' (sic) players must, collectively, be paid no more than $400,000..." because that would prevent clubs from paying more than an average of 80k for any five players, including their top five. Even allowing for a marquee player to be paid above 150k and only have 150k counted toward the 400k figure, it still makes no sense.

Can anyone explain this to me?
FreeThrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #27
Stumps
Fightin' around the world

Your former interpretation is correct, which is why (as I pointed out on the previous page) it will have no effect in stopping teams from assembling a hugely talented eight-man rotation should they wish to make that investment.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #28
Wallitron

Send a message via AIM to Wallitron Send a message via MSN to Wallitron Send a message via Yahoo to Wallitron

They got the numbers completely wrong. The system would allow one team to pay it's best 5 players $450k, and other team pay it's worst 5 players $400k. If that doesn't show salary disparity, I'm not sure what does.
Wallitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #29
BellBivDevoe

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...comp-loeliger/

"There was talk earlier in the season the NBL would publish salaries, but Loeliger made it clear most individuals' wages would not be released.

"You will have for a team all the salaries being paid to each of their players, but without the names next to them, other than where there is a substantial difference between the player value and the contract value," he said.

"Only in those instances will we divulge who the player is and I would think there would be less than half a dozen of those this season.""

OK so now we won't see the salaries...instead we will see line items of salaries against teams sans the player names.

Also...only salaries that have been adjusted will be shown with names.

And their will be "substantial difference between the player value and the contract value"

Why will there be a substantial differential and under what criteria are these adjustments applied?
BellBivDevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:47 PM   #30
koberulz
Send a message via MSN to koberulz

Huh?

I think you're misreading.
koberulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #31
Nerf Herder

I must be reading it wrong as I understood it the same as BBD...

As long as this clarification comes to fruition, then I'm all good... If these little details would have been stated early on (timing of release, etc) then I don't think there'd be anywhere near as much conspiracy theorising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBivDevoe View Post
Why will there be a substantial differential and under what criteria are these adjustments applied?
This is the only detail I would say is still a red flag... Maybe it could be someone like Steve Blake? Like has been theorised, the Kings could have gotten him cheaper than people would think, but the NBL could deem his value higher due to the fact that he is technically coming straight from the NBA?

Clarification is needed though, otherwise this will blow up as well...

I think this is the first article though that have referred to Blake and Powell as just NBA players though, not NBA stars, which is refreshing...

Last edited by Nerf Herder; 10-11-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Nerf Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #32
koberulz

You're not on Hoops, Nerf.

The values that count against the cap are like the old points system, they're just worked out by a committee in advance. If you sign a contract for significantly less than that, you get named. The idea is to discourage under-the-table payments by making it difficult to use their actual salary in negotiations with other clubs.

I have no idea where the word 'adjustments' came from.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #33
Nerf Herder

lol whoops... shows where I've been spending most of my online time...
Old 11-11-2016, 11:31 PM   #34
illusiv
Send a message via ICQ to illusiv Send a message via MSN to illusiv

Quote:
With rosters changing through the season due to injury and import issues, a decision about how much, if any, subsidy will be paid by each franchise, won't be made until the player registration deadline, when each club has played 75 per cent of their games.
This is the bit that worries me the most. So they are saying that even though a team that is over the soft cap of 1.1m, they may not pay any any subsidy?
illusiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:57 PM   #35
koberulz

They're saying that they'll look at the salaries of the players on the roster at that point of the season, and calculate from there.

So the Wildcats will have to pay for Hussey, which they wouldn't have if tax had been calculated at the start of the season. As an example.