TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Old School > NBL Archive

Notices

Old 21-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
swish
Default Basketball Australia's solution - the IBA

I thought this idea has some merit for basketball in Australia by taking our league internationally - Basketball Australia's solution - the IBA

Quote:
In theory, if the entire of Australia had one or two teams to field in the IBA, they would be far more profitable than the NBL teams have been combined, because the quality will be better, the coverage will be better, more people will want to attend, watch and participate.
The travel factor is a big financial negative but a good comment was made in regards to maybe "following the Super 14 Rugby is perhaps the best model, if Basketball went down that path, or run an Asian Champions League alongside a local season (like in the A-League)"

Do you honestly think something like this would work?
Old 21-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Clips
Never Forget

We seem to be making a decent run at coming back right now.
Old 21-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
swish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clips View Post
True but do you think it will be a massive improvement compared to the last few seasons
Old 22-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
angel

One issue would be whether people would rather watch a televised game or a live game. 60 games total, 30 at home say. If the current states WA, SA, VIC, NSW and QLD all share those games equally that is 6 games each or 1 game in 10 played.

Would people want that sort of competition? I'd rather watch a live game.
Old 22-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
DDFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clips View Post
True but do you think it will be a massive improvement compared to the last few seasons
I do, but sorry, I'm not accepting your proposal.

Seriously, we have quality locals returning from OS, & despite the return of the Kings being a let down for some, they could do some serious damage. Townsville have snared an extraordinary roster within their budget. The 'Cats have done well to hold onto the nucleus of their title winning team & their changes look positive. The 'Pans seem to have steadied & are attracting promising signings. The Blaze were pipped at the post last season, but have a lotta talent & time to correct what may have let them down. BTW, is there any news on Jason Cadee?

So as not to squander OzHoops bandwidth, I'll hit the pause button, but I hope you get the drift.

I reckon it's all look'n good.
Old 22-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
SB.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish View Post
Do you honestly think something like this would work?
No.

I stopped taking anything on that website seriously a long time ago.

Seriously 1 or 2 teams from Australia? Boomers anyone?
Old 22-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
ygoslo7

I like the idea of an Asian Champions League style competition, but only in addition to the NBL.
Old 23-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #8
swish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygoslo7 View Post
I like the idea of an Asian Champions League style competition, but only in addition to the NBL.
Ok thats not too bad, sure the NBL still runs but asian league I would go with that also.

Sure there are new recruits ect in the NBL but bottom line is a more marketed so called boomers team in the Asian league for example can only help.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
dezzy94

I personaly think that an Asian Champions League is a better option then this IBA thing ...