TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Old School > NBL Archive

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
DoubleA
Default Can the NBL use social media to make itself relevant again?

I just wrote a piece on it here http://su.pr/9C9dJc

I really think that social media integration during TV coverage and establishing a presence on platforms like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube can win over the target market of younger fans and will make the the task of turning them into life long fans a lot easier.

The NBL has a great chance over the next few years with this TV deal to be relevant again in the mind of sports fans, but TV isn't the answer to everything, they need to build up a marketing plan around the TV coverage.

[/rant]
Old 09-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
meg
really hot chix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleA View Post
I really think that social media integration during TV coverage and establishing a presence on platforms like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube can win over the target market of younger fans and will make the the task of turning them into life long fans a lot easier.
You think? It all seems a bit try hard to me, and I think they've missed the boat. It's the same embarrassing feeling you get when politicians use this medium...you can almost hear the cry "yeah...we're really hip, takin' it to the young folk!"
In this case, the young folk are savvy enough to see through it. This would have worked two years ago, but I think it's too late now.

I'm not really sure how you could do more, either...most players have twitter accounts already, and both facebook and youtube are littered with NBL related pages.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

There are even Ozhoops regulars who have embraced social media better than professional players and clubs. Just visit FaceandBumonUTubeDogg's user page to get all the latest links, from highlight reels, to a man standing in front of a cupboard door holding up posters.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Mookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg View Post
You think? It all seems a bit try hard to me, and I think they've missed the boat. It's the same embarrassing feeling you get when politicians use this medium...you can almost hear the cry "yeah...we're really hip, takin' it to the young folk!"
In this case, the young folk are savvy enough to see through it. This would have worked two years ago, but I think it's too late now.

I'm not really sure how you could do more, either...most players have twitter accounts already, and both facebook and youtube are littered with NBL related pages.
Doing it properly is what needs to be done to gain credibility. It's not about just jumping on the bandwagon.

As suggested in the article, a solid NBL youtube presence would go a long way -- having access to classic moments from the NBL's past, as well as daily/weekly updated game footage is a totally different beast to the fan youtube pages and occasional TV news reports that we have access to now.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Mookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
There are even Ozhoops regulars who have embraced social media better than professional players and clubs. Just visit FaceandBumonUTubeDogg's user page to get all the latest links, from highlight reels, to a man standing in front of a cupboard door holding up posters.
I'd love to see Larry Sengstock stand in his living room holding up NBL posters, with Chuck Harmison handing them to him.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
DoubleA

Quote:

Oh they can do more! It's about the league, not the players. The players are all on there for personal reasons.

No doubt I felt some people here would have a similar reaction. In regards to player, Andrew Bogut has 20,000 followers, you reckon if he said "hey kid in surrey hills, play basketball and you can be like me" in a personalised message to him on Twitter, that he'd be inspired to play basketball?

Social media can give fans those behind the scenes moments at training, at home or even in the locker room that mainstream media could care less about. It's all about giving fans additional channels to connect to the sport, which there are very few at the moment.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
mattic
Mr. Pink

Quote:
It's the same embarrassing feeling you get when politicians use this medium...you can almost hear the cry "yeah...we're really hip, takin' it to the young folk!"
It's not too late to do it well. It's not as if the media you mention are obsolete.
Young folk see through crap because it's crap (great example with the Pollies); if it's good, it'll be received as such.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
DoubleA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattic View Post
It's not too late to do it well. It's not as if the media you mention are obsolete.
Young folk see through crap because it's crap (great example with the Pollies); if it's good, it'll be received as such.
Well said.

If it's genuine, that comes across. If however they start promoting how great And1 and Channel 10 are, then people will switch off.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Nerf Herder

Yeah, doing it well is the hard part though... Any half-arsed attempt will only discredit the league as a tryhard and that's the last thing we need, I just don't think the NBL has the smarts or the inclination to do it well...

Mookie's suggestion of utilising youtube with classic NBL moments would be great and beef up the weekly updates... Again, this takes man power and the thought behind it to start and continue the effort...

Even having Twitter-only special offers could keep things current, or "leaking"/teasing info before it's on the official site, just things to make people feel a bit more special because they're in on something... Use Twitter to link back to youTube and have them all feed off each other...

If it's treated like something hip the "kids" are doing, then they're sure to fail... do it properly and it can be a valuable (and cheap) tool to help promote the league...
Old 09-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
Earnie Shavers

Just getting on board two years ago would have been seen as being a step ahead, but it is the norm now - they have to do it, but do it properly i.e. no half job (commit), no vague understanding or lack of clear strategy/direction (e.g. the politician example.)

- a goal of making the best and most advanced use of it - in terms of Aust. sports leagues - should definitely be applied. It's one area where "We're #1" could actually be achievable.

- and the two areas where it can really work for them are in communication and community, obviously (but this is where they can get ahead of the other major leagues), and in closing some of the gap that will surely still exist in terms of media coverage, particularly the certain types of media coverage that create narratives, raise personalities etc, which the NBL has not really had in some markets or as a whole for, really, about a decade.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #11
Earnie Shavers
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleA View Post
I just wrote a piece on it here http://su.pr/9C9dJc
Earnie Shavers likes this.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #12
meg
really hot chix

When did Earnie Shavers start referring to himself in the third person? Freaky!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #13
DoubleA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
Earnie Shavers likes this.
He, DoubleA, likes Earnie Shavers liking this
Old 10-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #14
DoubleA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
Just getting on board two years ago would have been seen as being a step ahead, but it is the norm now - they have to do it, but do it properly i.e. no half job (commit), no vague understanding or lack of clear strategy/direction (e.g. the politician example.)

- a goal of making the best and most advanced use of it - in terms of Aust. sports leagues - should definitely be applied. It's one area where "We're #1" could actually be achievable.

- and the two areas where it can really work for them are in communication and community, obviously (but this is where they can get ahead of the other major leagues), and in closing some of the gap that will surely still exist in terms of media coverage, particularly the certain types of media coverage that create narratives, raise personalities etc, which the NBL has not really had in some markets or as a whole for, really, about a decade.
The Twitter account keeps tweeting stories via @addthis which makes no sense to me. The account isnt run by an actual human being, so it never responds to questions, comments nothing. There's nothing genuine about that. So easy to turn it around though, the AFL recently made a great success out of it in my opinion, got a guy on board and now he interacts regularly with the community. Doing a great job.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #15
Bogut's Elbow

All of the twitter and facebook sites are rubbish. I know it's free, and as a result they don't want to pay anyone to spend time on it... but someone really needs to.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #16
FaceAndBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogut's Elbow View Post
All of the twitter and facebook sites are rubbish.
I think these people in the big business world dont even care about these "free sites" of social media. IMO i think they r a waste of time too, as your efforts and energy are much better spent elsewhere.

"Now when I put it down, oh yep I do IT,
And when I put it down, oh yes I do IT,
And when I put it down, oh yep I do IT,
And when I put it down, oh yes I do IT."

Best lyrics ever. also the sound effects, especially the scratching, are just cool. It's like it was made in a ProStudio. $1.69 well spent.

"Your Mum has a little 'look' around the place"
Old 12-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #17
Mookie

They are a waste of time, for those that don't know how to use them effectively.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #18
Cussy+
Boards+ Member

They are a waste of time in the same way that .tk websites or free mp3 websites are not a measure of a successful individual or group.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #19
Mookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussy View Post
They are a waste of time in the same way that .tk websites or free mp3 websites are not a measure of a successful individual or group.
What would you know? You're not a real DJ anyway. I bet you've never gotten into a flame war with other people on DJ forums!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #20
KEVY47

Quote:
Despite its privacy issues, Facebook clearly has a key role in global Internet activity. It has become a kind of universal social network, being used for both personal and business needs. For many individuals, companies and organizations, Facebook has become an integral part of their branding strategy and promotional campaigns.
Have a read Face and Elbow & NBL