TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Old School > High Stakes Hoops

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #26
fan since the old snakepit

Goulding has been the star of the first few days.
Think the last match between Al Greens guys and King Coles team may be a preview of the final.
Hodge drops the "F" bomb in a timeout and promptly said sorry to the camera. Nice touch. Maybe he can explain to Westover if he returns to the Tigers.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #27
Mr bEn

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalslugsman View Post
the refs are pretty ordinary in this game (Rays vs Reef).
They have all been ordinary for each of the first two days. They are letting a LOT go. I'm not sure if this is because they've been told to let the game flow, or due to their incompetence?

After being a total hater, I'm coming around to being a fan of the concept. I love the fact we can watch every game live on the box (huge coup in hindsight). If it goes around again next year, I think we'll see a more talented pool of players who will want to play to be seen. Using the players for colour commentary has been smart as well. I liked listening to Homicide this arvo and what Bear, JR etc had to say.
Ozhoops Group Ranking - 30th
League - Ozhoops 1 - 8th

Last edited by Mr bEn; 07-04-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #28
metalslugsman
No, I'm Spartacus

John Rillie is a great sideline commentator - huge character. Give him a bad suit and a range of really shocking ties, shoes and socks and he could be our Craig Sager (with less brown-nosing)

I like the fact that some of the guys being interviewed are candid about seeking a contract in Oz out of this. Hopefully, someone will point out that we play a more team oriented game here and maybe some of these guys will start being more cohesive.

Day 2 was an improvement over day 1 - hopefully the improvement continues each day and the tournament is back next year as well
Old 07-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #29
angry ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clips View Post
Huge dunk by Mario Brown(?) on Sedale JR
Yep, awesome dunk, seems a pretty good player, probably not NBL level though... Does anyone have footage to the dunk, or any other highlights?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #30
Mitch Richmond AKA Rock
Tvone

Boxscores making their way to the website - day 1 with day 2 to follow I believe for all those stat lovers:

http://eliteclassicbasketball.com/
Old 07-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #31
curious
Watching TS

The best part about the whole competition is that there are so many potential imports here, it cuts a lot of B/S about trying to find a potential player for next season.
Most of what I have seen indicates that most of the potential imports aren't NBL material.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #32
fan since the old snakepit

I agree. I think JVG sold it to many of the visitors as just that. I think that this is the way to build on the concept. Get rid of the stupid rule changes. Keep up the $$$ and use it as a tryout for future NBL players. This is an oportunity to get a contract whether you are an import, returning college guy or a someone like Dann trying to get back into the league.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #33
Skink

How's the box score showing the 4 point shots?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #34
Voice(s)

Boti's Day 2 wrap up (first three games):

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1225850933831

Coasters 128 (Davison 27, Helms 26, Ng 21, Ratzch 17, McMillan, McDonald 12, Carter 10) d Pythons 114 (Williams 40, Rillie 29, Danridge 14, Robinson 11).

Rush 118 (Rose 25, Harrell 24, Dillon 21, Green 18, Bridgewater, Threatt 10) d Cyclones 113 (Dann 24, Woodberry 22, Carter 18, Brown 17, George 13, Reed 12).

Rays 94 (Gibson, Lisch 23, Ronaldson 13, Hill 11) d Reef 88 (Borgen 21, Fitzgerald 17, Cameron 12, Esparza 10).

John Davis (editor, Earth First! Journal)
Old 08-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #35
Skindog the Hawk

Send a message via ICQ to Skindog the Hawk Send a message via MSN to Skindog the Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr bEn View Post
They have all been ordinary for each of the first two days. They are letting a LOT go. I'm not sure if this is because they've been told to let the game flow, or due to their incompetence?
Considering that you've got a mix of NBL and WNBL panel guys there, maybe it's a case of what they've been told to call (or not)? You definitely shouldn't have guys who are out of their depth though.

SD.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #36
Junior Coach

I'm really enjoying Cal Brutons involvement.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #37
upnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skindog the Hawk View Post
Considering that you've got a mix of NBL and WNBL panel guys there, maybe it's a case of what they've been told to call (or not)? You definitely shouldn't have guys who are out of their depth though.

SD.
I'm not familiar with which refs are which, but the team doing that Monarchs vs Fleet game seemed to be quite intimidated by the intensity of the game.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #38
Clips
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skink View Post
How's the box score showing the 4 point shots?

I missed the game, did anything happen with Brett Maher and Julius Hodge? Hug it out? Fisty cuffs? Choke a bitch?