TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Old School > High Stakes Hoops

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
RaMarQabLe
Default Modified Rules?

So what are the general rules for this competition?

still 10 minute quarters fully timed? Restricted area? extended 3 point line??
Old 04-04-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
Derek
Not dead

http://www.claritysport.org/event.htm

- 12-minute quarters
- no possession arrow, jump balls to determine possession
- teams get 1 full timeout and 1 20-second timeout each half
- 'Game Breaker' power plays, one per team per half:

Quote:
On two occasions during each game, the coach or on-court captain of each team may opt to use a 'Game Breaker' phase. Over the next three minutes of clock time the team in the 'Game Breaker' phase has each successful 3-point shot counted as 4 points. The backboard to which that team is shooting will be lit in green, denoting that the 'Game Breaker' phase is current.
Also teams get competition points for winning each quarter, not just winning games overall, and the points affect prize money.

DN
Old 04-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
RaMarQabLe

Cool thanks for the info.

Don't know if I like the 3 minute PowerPlay thing. 3 minutes is a long time. Does the 3 minutes run continuously even though theres a stop clock?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Dunkin' Dan
Hasa Diga Eebowai

They should have made it 3 points for a dunk in game breaker time as well, so it didn't favour the guards so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMarQabLe View Post
Does the 3 minutes run continuously even though theres a stop clock?
No, since it says "three minutes of clock time"
Old 06-04-2010, 01:06 AM   #5
RaMarQabLe

Use of the Gamebreaker. (i wanted to make another thread but wasn't sure if it was warranted)

I wonder how pro-active teams will be in using the Gamebreaker (GB).... I see the 2nd half GB being saved for the fourth quarter and being used in the last 3 minutes of the game... nearly all the time. It makes sense right?

GB usage in the First Half should be used when your team hits a run. Whenever that may be.

I just hope it doesn't get to the point where teams use GBs at the same time as their opponent. I still think 3 minutes is a VERY long time for a GB power play.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMarQabLe View Post
Use of the Gamebreaker. (i wanted to make another thread but wasn't sure if it was warranted)

I wonder how pro-active teams will be in using the Gamebreaker (GB).... I see the 2nd half GB being saved for the fourth quarter and being used in the last 3 minutes of the game... nearly all the time. It makes sense right?

GB usage in the First Half should be used when your team hits a run. Whenever that may be.

I just hope it doesn't get to the point where teams use GBs at the same time as their opponent. I still think 3 minutes is a VERY long time for a GB power play.
I think you'll find the team not with the game breaker will slow the game down to give the game breaker team less opportunity to score.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
illusiv
Send a message via ICQ to illusiv Send a message via MSN to illusiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkin' Dan View Post
They should have made it 3 points for a dunk in game breaker time as well, so it didn't favour the guards so much.

No, since it says "three minutes of clock time"
They were going to make it for dunks, but then thought that players would get injured by the other team trying to take away the dunk by fouling.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
Derek
Not dead

They might need to reconsider that, the Gamebreaker minutes seem to be "offensive team bombs away and accomplishes nothing except giving away fast breaks".

DN
Old 06-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
Wallitron

Send a message via AIM to Wallitron Send a message via MSN to Wallitron Send a message via Yahoo to Wallitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusiv View Post
They were going to make it for dunks, but then thought that players would get injured by the other team trying to take away the dunk by fouling.
Easy way to fix this is normal fouls are a shooting foul (2 free throws), and shooting fouls get you three foul shots.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
Dunkin' Dan
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallitron View Post
Easy way to fix this is normal fouls are a shooting foul (2 free throws), and shooting fouls get you three foul shots.
Yeah, presumably if they made a dunk worth 3 points then being fouled in a dunk attempt would result in 3 free throws anyway.